Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

I've seen folks begging the working-class actors to make sure to check any contracts and refuse AI scanning this that's still in play. It's okay, though, they'll just take it up at the next union negotiations! Okay is in air quotes.

What's the rationale for refusing? Isn't it free money if they use you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Pinterest Mom posted:

What's the rationale for refusing? Isn't it free money if they use you?

If they scan you once they can use your image forever and don't actually need you on-set. Or to pay you again.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Dawgstar posted:

If they scan you once they can use your image forever and don't actually need you on-set. Or to pay you again.

Well, they don't need to pay you again, they could just scan you and throw the scan in the trash, but they do need to pay you again if they want to actually use the scan in any way. That's one of the key pieces of the contract, that any use of digital replicas needs to be authorised by the person who got scanned for that specific use (so there can't be a blanket clause in a contract "WB can use my scan for any future project", they need to come back to the performer for every project they want to use it in), and paid as if they actually did the work.

https://www.sagaftra.org/files/sa_documents/DigitalReplicas.pdf

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
So how mad is Justine Bateman?

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 12 minutes!

Pinterest Mom posted:

Well, they don't need to pay you again, they could just scan you and throw the scan in the trash, but they do need to pay you again if they want to actually use the scan in any way. That's one of the key pieces of the contract, that any use of digital replicas needs to be authorised by the person who got scanned for that specific use (so there can't be a blanket clause in a contract "WB can use my scan for any future project", they need to come back to the performer for every project they want to use it in), and paid as if they actually did the work.

https://www.sagaftra.org/files/sa_documents/DigitalReplicas.pdf

But what if a company uses the scans to make “Actor X” who is a Cronenburg amalgamation of different actors who consented to getting scanned? Does it count as a new entity and they don’t need to pay the actor anymore since they’ll say it’s not their specific scan they’re using?

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Hell, they’d probably try to argue that just digitally touching up “your” brows in post is enough to count as a wholly separate creation that they don’t need to compensate you for way before that point

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

But what if a company uses the scans to make “Actor X” who is a Cronenburg amalgamation of different actors who consented to getting scanned? Does it count as a new entity and they don’t need to pay the actor anymore since they’ll say it’s not their specific scan they’re using?

That's specifically called out as "if you ever start doing that, we'll have to negotiate about it", but there isn't an agreement either way. Realistically, if that becomes the way that movies are made, the big studios are just as hosed as actors and writers. A contract with the studios just isn't the venue where you can prevent OpenAI and other startups from playing in this space.

Regalingualius posted:

Hell, they’d probably try to argue that just digitally touching up “your” brows in post is enough to count as a wholly separate creation that they don’t need to compensate you for way before that point

The contract covers this. They can't alter digital replicas without consent (except for normal post-production stuff), or create amalgams of different actors without consent.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/sagaftranews/status/1744789298543829066

Congrats on your absolutely useless waste of time strike, SAG-AFTRA. Well done all around :thumbsup:

The agreement is ostensibly about guidlines and safety regarding the technology, but this still feels like the given inch that precedes the mile.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 10, 2024

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
All the voice actors I follow are pissed.

https://x.com/blumspew/status/1744854178869211228?s=20

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 10, 2024

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH

nine-gear crow posted:

https://twitter.com/sagaftranews/status/1744789298543829066

Congrats on your absolutely useless waste of time strike, SAG-AFTRA. Well done all around :thumbsup:

The agreement is ostensibly about guidlines and safety regarding the technology, but this still feels like the given inch that precedes the mile.

I was primarily focused on the outcomes for the film/TV end of things given the primary focuses of the basic agreement but as both an on-camera and voice actor (who voted no on the "groundbreaking" new agreement) who was on the picket lines for the bulk of those 118 (and change, with WGA before that) days I am absolutely furious and completely baffled by everything about this utter horseshit. The new agreement already had me seriously rethinking my relationship to this industry (as in where and how I could still do my job as an actor and still retain full autonomy over my face/body/voice/likeness) but this is seriously just super hosed.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Christ.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

What are the actual details of the contract? What's objectionable about it?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Pinterest Mom posted:

What are the actual details of the contract? What's objectionable about it?
It allows the use of AI, presumably.

And any use of AI will normalize it, which will be the end of actors acting.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

LividLiquid posted:

It allows the use of AI, presumably.

And any use of AI will normalize it, which will be the end of actors acting.

Replica Studios doesn't need SAG's permission to use AI, it isn't in SAG's power to "allow" or disallow them to use AI. Without this agreement, Replica would simply be using non-union VAs, and paying them less.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The DGA and AMPTP have revised part of their contract???

The DGA, who famously did not go on strike, have now gotten parity with the WGA and SAG contracts on the streaming performance bonus and data sharing provisions that the WGA and SAG won after their strike.

It feels for all the world like the DGA got a side-deal last spring where they agreed to back the AMPTP, and in return got assurances that they'd get whatever the other unions won in their negotiations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
John August, former WGA board member, speculates the AMPTP don’t want the DGA to have a huge win in two years when they negotiate first. They want to be a modest negotiating pattern that they can put on SAG and WGA.