Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
At 12:01 AM Eastern Daylight Time, WGA East and WGA West members went on strike, beginning the first Writers Guild of America strike since 2007-08. According to the WGA, the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers were unwilling to discuss minimum staffing, the establishment of viewer-based streaming residuals, the use of artificial intelligence, and full pension and health contributions for writing teams, among other issues. It is estimated the strike may last at least four months.

This thread is designed to discuss the strike, its impacts on TV and film, and also post broken Twitter links because that's where we're at.

Updates from the website Deadline are here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
Conan should do the ring spin gag on the next episode of his podcast. You know, like old times

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
very basic explainer of demands in this

https://twitter.com/adamconover/status/1653272585252257793

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Appreciate the Late Night hosts stopping their shows in support. That's good poo poo right there.

I hope they get everything they're demanding. In fact, I hope they get more.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I love Adam Conover.

Like, I was just having an argument with a friend of mine about this, who was a bit confused, but kind of against the writers striking because he selfishly wanted his content to continue. I sent him this, and he replied, "Oh, but see, the studios agreed to training sessions to fix the problem… ok yeah, go writers"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Happy Landfill posted:

Appreciate the Late Night hosts stopping their shows in support. That's good poo poo right there.

It's not strictly 'in support', although I'm sure folks like Meyers would do so. Just because those shows aren't fiction doesn't mean they don't have writers. With the guild on strike, the shows can't get made.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Happy Landfill posted:

https://twitter.com/skobos/status/1653411437836943362

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
The only show I'll miss during all of this is Last Week Tonight.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Take 'em for everything you can, writers. :hai:

Happy Landfill posted:

:agreed::hf::same:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/JosephBarnhurst/status/1653272779222061056?s=20

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I assume the first one will be purposefully leaning into the gimmick and the novelty of it being kinda nonsense.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also Sarandos was bragging that Netflix can source content from outside the US to plug gaps, so I'd actually doubt it'll be them.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Boycott any chatgpt poo poo if they try it. Support the Writers!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Gaz-L posted:

Also Sarandos was bragging that Netflix can source content from outside the US to plug gaps, so I'd actually doubt it'll be them.

The joke is now Netflix is being unforgivably delayed in shows they'll cancel.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

So what can a non-writer, non-entertainment type do support the strikers? Looks like WGA has a pretty hefty strike fund (good) and some designs for use on social media. Anything else I should check out?

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Hawkperson posted:

So what can a non-writer, non-entertainment type do support the strikers? Looks like WGA has a pretty hefty strike fund (good) and some designs for use on social media. Anything else I should check out?

I guess don't watch anything made during the strike if you're a Nielson household or on streaming or in the cinema. Prove that scab or non-scripted content doesn't draw eyes.

There's plenty of stuff that's still airing that was made before the strike so there's some leeway

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

mutantIke posted:

Conan should do the ring spin gag on the next episode of his podcast. You know, like old times

Link

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hawkperson posted:

Probably not that much other then not supporting any content that is made during the strike without the writers.

Kind of like how there's not much someone not involved can do with any union strikes.

The people striking actively hurt the bottom line of the executives and networks, so it forces them to negotiate to find a solution. Although I guess it also hurts the people striking since they are not working either.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the big thing with strikes is, aside from publically supporting it in general, the best thing you can do is let the strikers and the unions be your guide on how to engage. If they want or need help with something they have channels to reach out. A lot of people decide that if a given place is striking then they should also boycott it, but that can actually be counterproductive. So just keeps your eyes and ears open.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/jostewart/status/1653502306615283730?s=20

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
If someone uses scab writers or AI, I'm pretty sure we'll hear about it. As it stands, the only show I could imagine using scab labor is Gutfeld!, so nobody here needs to worry just yet.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Edward Mass posted:

If someone uses scab writers or AI, I'm pretty sure we'll hear about it. As it stands, the only show I could imagine using scab labor is Gutfeld!, so nobody here needs to worry just yet.

Gutfeld is a non-union production already.

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer

https://youtu.be/Vkj7heLZAsc The ring gag comes somewhere around the 10 minute mark. He did this every episode

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮

Timby posted:

Gutfeld is a non-union production already.

Well, there we are.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Neil Gaiman (gross) did a pretty good post on how to support the strike if you're a bystander

https://www.tumblr.com/neil-gaiman/716253676074942464/hello-ive-seen-you-posting-detailed-information

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

fez_machine posted:

Neil Gaiman (gross)

???

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Also isn't Neil just boosting a post by Diane Duane?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

to be entirely fair the article concludes that GPT generated stuff is not as good as an actual comedian, but it even hedges that

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Beeftweeter posted:

to be entirely fair the article concludes that GPT generated stuff is not as good as an actual comedian, but it even hedges that

Imagine working in news and then writing this.

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Open Source Idiom posted:

Imagine working in news and then writing this.

it is mindbogglingly tone-deaf lol

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/adamconover/status/1653499169041010711?s=20

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Adam Conover seems like a cool dude, and I'm glad WGA has people like him among their ranks advocating for them.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

always hated this mf

an update I guess:

https://twitter.com/skobos/status/1653771741540253701

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
The studios went into this strike knowing full well they weren't negotiating jack poo poo. 2022 was jam-packed production-wise, more so in the last few months. Multiple episodic shows shot seasons back to back, something that's never done, just to cram in as much content as possible going into a strike.

Hopefully, the public begins to realize this turbo fucks many many working-class job positions all over basic job protection, against massive corporations that saw record profits in these last few years especially. I think public backlash is going to be the leverage because they planned and stockpiled for this scenario this time around. Not to mention that the production pipeline for most things isn't what it was in 2007 (back then the majority being write, shoot, air, write, shoot, air..with a lead time of a few episodes) so studios have more stalling power.

The AI thing is just wild...instead of acknowledging hey yeah, the output of those things loving suck and need to be fixed anyway, and nothing it does is legally copywriteable so it's a massive headache to even use it above board...they just said "we'll meet up once a year to talk about this"..what does that do? "hey guys, isn't this ai stuff neat? see you next year"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, some of the wider pay stuff in the proposal vs offer sheet Conover posted is what you'd expect: Union says one figure, management says a lower number, in theory you can meet somewhere in the middle. But a ton of the points were either 'management refused and won't offer alternative' or poo poo like that AI thing where it may as well be saying no and not offering any alternative.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
a great longer-form explanation of just how bad the residual terms are for streaming (spoiler, it's orders of magnitude less)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79p9bt3DXqE

i also forgot hbo memory-holed friggin westworld because they didn't want to keep paying residuals; this poo poo's a hat-trick of fuckery affecting both the present, future, and past

https://twitter.com/natums/status/1602765363480907777

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Its wild how little residuals and royalties are now.

Back in the forties my great-aunt used to perform at piano bars and night clubs in LA. A certain old school country music artist happened to be there one night, liked the song, and bought the rights.

Our royalties are split between 2 of us (long story) but I tend to get $500-$1,000 bucks annually for it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What? That can't be right, the last one happened in

Oh noooo I'm old now

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Are there any breakdowns on where the studios make their money? I know nobody but Netflix makes money in the streaming game, so I'd guess linear television is still important on the bottom line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Edward Mass posted:

Are there any breakdowns on where the studios make their money? I know nobody but Netflix makes money in the streaming game, so I'd guess linear television is still important on the bottom line.

Ad sales, selling off their content for streaming and syndication.