Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Paracausal posted:

Fired up Grounded with the 7 year old for a bit of co-op survival. Was immediately a bit intimidating from an environment perspective and she's just getting an idea of the crafting system so hopefully in another week or two she's a bit more confident exploring

I've been meaning to post about Grounded being a good game to play. My 6 year old is enthralled, but she doesn't yet play herself, just pesters me to play so she can watch, spot and give advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

https://store.steampowered.com/app/375820/Human_Resource_Machine/

this is simple it teaches assembly.

i havent tried this yet but it looks similar.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/984800/Automachef/

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Re: Grounded. Are any of the insect battles ever scary or intense? I'm thinking my daughter might like co-op crafting / base building, but would probably nope out at the first spider.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

maybe check out this:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/361420/ASTRONEER/

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Grounded has an option to make the spiders less scary.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Good-Natured Filth posted:

Re: Grounded. Are any of the insect battles ever scary or intense? I'm thinking my daughter might like co-op crafting / base building, but would probably nope out at the first spider.

Grounded has creative modes that get rid of the hunger and thirst and can make the bugs non hostile. The arachnophobia modes are also good. Daughter tried playing on her own and got pretty scared, so might look at some of those options.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Kind of disappointed that the highest level doesn't just turn them into goofy looking sprites

Good on them for having this feature though, I hate the lazy "just shove some spider jump scares" technique that's all too common

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Yeah, Grounded can be customized pretty heavily where you can just turn certain mechanics on or off, depending on your preference. It's not just normal-hardcore-creative, it's stuff like I want to play a normal game with combat and scary critters but it's annoying when my base gets raided and I have to rebuild, so I'll turn that mechanic off. I don't want an easy experience but I feel like hunger/thirst mechanics are just busywork that distract from the real gameplay, so I'll just turn that off. Etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

victrix posted:

what are some good learn/play with programming games?

I used to volunteer for a girls' coding jam series. The tools we used weren't games specifically, but when we turned them loose on the computers, 99% of the kids immediately started goofing around and using them to make jokes and silly pictures/animations, so it's not like these tools aren't fun.

Someone already mentioned Scratch, which was one of the programs we used. This was the program we had for younger and more beginner coders. A lot of kids go nuts with it.

https://appinventor.mit.edu/

Once a young coder graduated from Scratch, they came to our second tier room and used MIT App Inventor. This is a system to make mobile apps using a visual coding system where you drag and drop different statements/commands/etc and they snap together like toy blocks.

You need both a mobile device and a computer for the ideal setup, but it's pretty slick once you get it set up. Some of the kids I helped use this were enthralled because they were the right age where "I can make *my own app*?" sounded like the coolest thing ever. And I had one future computer professional who got deep into writing her own clone of Space Invaders using the visual coding system, which, wow hats off to ya.