Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

We need a thread about gaming with your kids. The video game landscape today is more accessible and diverse than when you wore out your NES paddle playing the one game your parents bought you (probably Super Mario Bros 3). Video games aren't just a babysitter anymore. Most modern parents want to be more involved with their kids playing games but don't always know how to start or what to play. Video games are no longer the scary, murderer-makers of the early 90s, but instead are a way to engage and bond with your children. Let's chat about gaming with our kids!

Do you want to talk about parenting in general? Go check out the Parenting Thread!

Do you want to talk about a specific video game in-depth? There may be an existing thread or make your own!

Resources on video games for kids
  • The American Academy of Pediatrics has a pretty thorough site on media exposure to children. It's focused on general media consumption, but touches on video games a bit.
  • Common Sense Media* reviews video games (along with other media) and provides a suggested age level. It allows parents and children to submit reviews, so you can see both perspectives.
  • ESRB. They put those little "E for Everyone" tags on games (in the US and Canada).
  • PEGI. They're like the ESRB for countries in Europe.
  • I'm sure there are more governmental ratings bodies. Just google "<country> video game rating agency", and I'm sure you'll find it. I believe in you.

* As I was writing this OP, I discovered that Common Sense Media introduced a subscription model. They paywall you after looking at 3 reviews. If anyone has another similar resource, I'm all ears, but I'll keep using CSM for now.

Game recommendations
There are more video games than stars in the sky (citation needed), but here are some that have been recommended by the thread to play with your kids. I have loosely organized them by thread-suggested age ranges. However, children, as you may know, span a wide range of skills and emotional maturity levels. A game that works for one 5yo may not be appropriate for a different 8yo. Some games work great for a younger crowd with co-op / supervision but aren't great as solo ventures until much later. And eventually, a kid gets to a level where the recommendation is "any game that they're into." I've linked to the game's review in Common Sense Media (if it exists), so you can read about it yourself and make your own decision.

Ages 2+

Ages 4+

Ages 6+

Ages 8+

Ages 10+

Games to avoid
There are too many games out there designed to cause addiction and provide little value to anyone. These games should be avoided at all costs (or at the very least, researched heavily before introducing your kid to it).
  • Roblox - there was a conversation in the "Before I Play" thread that discusses some things to consider before introducing your kid to it. The discussion starts here and lasts about a page.
  • The large majority of games available via Amazon Kids+ (formerly Amazon Freetime) are mind--numbing, gatcha-esque reward collectors.

Gaming without kids
As a parent (especially as a new parent), you may suddenly find that you don't have freedom to play video games all day on a Saturday while chugging Mtn Dew Game Fuel and gorging on Cool Ranch Doritos. This is a list of games that are easy to pick up and put down between diaper changes or during late-night feeds.
  • Pretty much any roguelike. Some good examples are Hades, Binding of Isaac, and Vampire Survivors.
  • There are some good mobile games out there that can be played in short bursts and with one hand! For example, Mini Metro and Monument Valley.
  • The Steam Deck and Nintendo Switch both have powerful sleep features, which make it very easy to pick-up and put-down a game. So any game that plays on those would meet your sporadic gaming needs.
  • Retro gaming systems are another way to easily pick-up and put-down old games with the use of save states. Finally get through the FF series while burping your baby. There's a thread dedicated to it, too.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Mar 10, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Kicked my kids rear end in Mario Kart today (he’s 6 months)

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

I'm trying to get my 7yo daughter to play platformers because they're my favorite type of game, but she gets frustrated quickly. Even with something as beginner friendly as Kirby.

I'm not sure if there are other games to potentially try ("baby's first platformer" type) or just be resigned to the fact that I won't be able to introduce her to the Celeste C-sides in the future. She loves life sims (Animal Crossing, etc.), so she probably just likes to play games to relax and not to have throw-controller-at-the-wall rage at a precision platformer like me.

Edit:

Skeezy posted:

Kicked my kids rear end in Mario Kart today (he’s 6 months)

Pro move. Assert your dominance early. Never let your kid win.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Just want to add that Labyrinth City: Pierre the Maze Detective is a great game. I have it on PC and play it on the TV with the kid. The game is based on a series of books which are well with a purchase or borrow from the library.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Good-Natured Filth posted:

I'm trying to get my 7yo daughter to play platformers because they're my favorite type of game, but she gets frustrated quickly. Even with something as beginner friendly as Kirby.
Yoshi's Crafted World is a great beginner platformer, particularly in Mellow Mode. It also has drop-in/drop-out co-op. Very cute too.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Want to add another one my daughter likes. Donut County. She will see the icon on the PS5 and demand daddy play Donut (Dowan). She likes to dance to the music after you beat a stage.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!
I might be a bad parent but I'm letting my kid play the Fatal Frame game on the Switch

She whupped my rear end at Mario 3d and I can't play Fortnight to save my life so this is the compromise

We have family night and take turns playing 1 player games.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
When my kid becomes a preteen I'm gonna make him play a survival game with me for a whole weekend. Gonna treat it serious like the camping trip I had as a kid

"If you ever find yourself in a situation like this, the first thing you should do is punch a tree."

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Just wanted to say switch list is perfect for young kids, but would add untitled goose back in and maybe katamari depending on the kid, and the switch sports game (if they wear the wrist strap). Absolutely wii fit for kids, so they can run around/hop and stuff too.

As they grow and tastes change, then other games come in. I had my daughter (now 8) introduced to tales of vesperia and it's expanding her grammar/introducing a form of jrpgs and has an easy mode setting so that kids aren't screwed by gameplay mechanics. I'm doing all the equipment/skills management but so far she enjoys the story+ excessive amount of animated cutscenes. But she's an extremely avid reader and I couldn't imagine this on a kid who doesn't love to read, even if they have a ton of audio narrative alongside the text.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Awesome thread! I'm gonna repost a question I put in the recs thread a few months ago:

External Organs posted:

Not a "game" per se, but are there any programs that run on a modern PC that are similar to Kid Pix, the graphic program for kids that was on Mac OS back in the 90s?

I don't think I'm interested in tablet or phone stuff since my kid doesn't have access to one except for long car trips, but if there's an exceptional one I'll take it into consideration.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Just wanted to say switch list is perfect for young kids, but would add untitled goose back in and maybe katamari depending on the kid, and the switch sports game (if they wear the wrist strap). Absolutely wii fit for kids, so they can run around/hop and stuff too.

Untitled Goose Game is in the multi platform list, since it's released to more than just the Switch now. I'll add the others, though. Good recs.

My initial list is younger kid focused because that's what I have currently. :) Though, as kids get older, the recommendation list will just become "any game", so I don't know how to determine a cutoff.

External Organs posted:

Awesome thread! I'm gonna repost a question I put in the recs thread a few months ago:

I loved Kid Pix when I was younger. Used to mess around with that during computer class. I'm not sure of a modern equivalent, though.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I like sitting my toddler on my lap to read out Frog Detective series to him. We are up to the late-game of Frog Detective 2: The Case of the Invisible Wizard in Warlock Woods. It's just a wholesome and cute lil detective story that teaches children to bring food to people who are hungry, but not the floor pies because A) they do not belong to you and B) floor pies are not desirable. Give all the floor pies to the fashion witch (like she asked) and she'll give you a fresh pie to give to the elk in the hot tub.

He has the attention span for like 20 minutes of reading at a time and I can press the forward button with my foot by putting controller on the floor leaving me with two arms to hold two babies while we do froggy story time.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

I loved Kid Pix when I was younger. Used to mess around with that during computer class. I'm not sure of a modern equivalent, though.

Right?? It seems like something in that vein would be a total slam dunk, especially with some share to social media buttons / make an easy gif. Dammit. It needs to exist!

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

External Organs posted:

Right?? It seems like something in that vein would be a total slam dunk, especially with some share to social media buttons / make an easy gif. Dammit. It needs to exist!

It looks like it still might? 90's rear end website, but you can buy it still. :psyduck:
https://www.mackiev.com/kidpix/

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Untitled Goose Game is in the multi platform list, since it's released to more than just the Switch now. I'll add the others, though. Good recs.

My initial list is younger kid focused because that's what I have currently. :) Though, as kids get older, the recommendation list will just become "any game", so I don't know how to determine a cutoff.

maybe breakout list by age for minimum as an idea?

Animal crossing: 2-4
Kirby: 4-6
mario kart: 4
mario world: 4, bowser addon: 5/6
Luigi's haunted mansion 3: 5/6 (I didn't mention this one before but would say 6 so ghosts don't scare the kids)
switch sports: 6-8
tales of vesperia: 8-10
Untitled goose: ??? probably 4

etc

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 15:58 on May 9, 2023

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Can we add a “avoid this predatory hellscape” list to the op? Going to nominate Roblox if so. There’s plenty of reporting on Roblox but if some other goon has found something equally awful, might as well warn each other.

To add some recommends, Kiddo and I have gotten an insane amount of fun out of puzzle games like The Witness (pc), Portal (pc), Gorogoa (mobile). Even simpler just puzzle stuff like a sudoku app (we like cracking the cryptic) make for good coop experiences.

Stardew valley and Minecraft are pretty easy to host local multiplayer for the family, and we’ve all had fun with that.

Pokémon will probably happen eventually and if you introduce your kid to the earlier Grindy versions they are less likely to be enthralled by the somewhat more gacha like modern takes. Also every parent should have the joy of their child reacting to their inevitable failure at some task by piping up “looks like papa is blasting off again!”

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

External Organs posted:

I also spent a million hours messing around on kidpix. it looks like someone ported it to a website?

https://www.theverge.com/tldr/2021/8/4/22610448/kid-pix-html-port-web-art-drawing-memories

edit: I feel like this must be an earlier version than what I had. I remember having a big more functionality and fun music you could add.

CherryCola fucked around with this message at 16:45 on May 9, 2023

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

Anias posted:

Pokémon will probably happen eventually and if you introduce your kid to the earlier Grindy versions they are less likely to be enthralled by the somewhat more gacha like modern takes. Also every parent should have the joy of their child reacting to their inevitable failure at some task by piping up “looks like papa is blasting off again!”

Idk about that, my 10 year old tanked my ELO rating and just wants me to trade away my team to them.

Red/Blue is "too boring and old" for them

Minecraft hurts my eyes in muliplayer so we can't play that together

Boot up the Super Nintendo app? Nope, too old and boring. Nobody wants a history lesson MOM

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Treecko posted:

Idk about that, my 10 year old tanked my ELO rating and just wants me to trade away my team to them.

Red/Blue is "too boring and old" for them

Minecraft hurts my eyes in muliplayer so we can't play that together

Boot up the Super Nintendo app? Nope, too old and boring. Nobody wants a history lesson MOM

Ymmv. Kiddo’s favorite color is green so leaf green was a hit.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

I do not have kids. But I do know a boy who loves trucks. So I am here to give you a list of games with trucks and cars. These may be games that you need to help them play, or let them watch you play, depending on the kid's age and ability.

Euro Truck Simulator and friends. This game has big trucks, you get to hook and unhook a truck to a trailer, you can adjust the camera to feel like you're riding in the cab, and it has environments that feel like real life.

Mudrunner, Snowrunner, etc. Here is another game with trucks where you can attach a truck to a trailer. This series is fun because it has varied trucks, equipment, and trailers/loads to operate. It's fun when you can see you're hauling a load of logs for example. And it has mud to drive in. It is fun to drive in mud.

Monster Jam Steel Titans 2. This is a game made for children that is not a great game. The physics are better than the first game in the series, but they are still a bit wonky. It has lots of loading screens and the loading is slow. The modes and challenges are workmanlike and by the numbers. BUT! It is an officially licensed Monster Jam product and thus has many many Monster Jam monster trucks. If a young kid likes monster trucks, they will not care about the shortcomings of this video game.

Hot Wheels Unleashed. This game on the other hand, is a game made for children that is actually pretty good. At least, the racing physics and controls are good, I haven't played the story mode for 10 hours or anything like that. It has loads of Hot Wheels cars and trucks and vehicles in it. The graphics and art of the in-game cars look very true to life, to the point where my childhood memories of looking at my toy cars came back to me as I was browsing through the in-game car collection. The controls, like I said above, are quite good, and my little buddy actually navigated some tricky race track sections even though he is just getting his motor skills together well enough to play racing games. It has several modes, but I'm not an expert on them so I suggest looking them up if you know a kid who might enjoy it. I believe it has a track builder as well.

Mario Kart 8. It's fun. It has Mario characters if the kid likes Mario characters. The levels are fun. You can customize the car that you drive. And the game has assist functions you can turn on for steering and acceleration, which might be the difference between a kid having a blast or a kid getting frustrated.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

I updated the OP to be more age-range focused. If anyone wants to discuss where I placed games, let's do it. I have a sample size of 2 kids in my life that I really know what they'd be able to play and when, and as my OP says, kids are very different.

I also (per suggestion from Anias) added a "Games to avoid" section if anyone wants to add any there. I was thinking to list games that are predatory and targeted towards kids, not games that are Rated M and aren't meant for children. It's pretty obvious that your 4 year old shouldn't play Outlast, but it's not so obvious that Roblox is built in an addictive and exploitative way to make your kid want to strip your wallet of money.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 16, 2023

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

Kiddo reminded me that islanders exists and is quite chill and she enjoyed it from the time she could make it work. Call it 6+.

Sago mini forest flyer was a huge hit when kiddo was doing doctor visits around 2-4. Haven’t looked at it recently, but cannot recommend it enough if you want the option to let the toddler drool on your device. It’s honestly cute enough that adult goons wouldn’t be remiss looking at it the same way the beads on rails toys draw the eye of parents.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Anias posted:

Sago mini forest flyer was a huge hit when kiddo was doing doctor visits around 2-4. Haven’t looked at it recently, but cannot recommend it enough if you want the option to let the toddler drool on your device. It’s honestly cute enough that adult goons wouldn’t be remiss looking at it the same way the beads on rails toys draw the eye of parents.

Heck yeah. My kids loved the various Sago Mini apps as toddlers.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Okay so TMNT Shredder’s Revenge for Switch is awesome if you are playing with them. My partner and I did most of the fighting and the four year old played splinter and just kinda walked around and jumped occasionally or picked up pizzas. (He got the zen award for doing nothing lol) In arcade mode, you can turn on infinite lives so it’s pretty low stakes.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

CherryCola posted:

Okay so TMNT Shredder’s Revenge for Switch is awesome if you are playing with them. My partner and I did most of the fighting and the four year old played splinter and just kinda walked around and jumped occasionally or picked up pizzas. (He got the zen award for doing nothing lol) In arcade mode, you can turn on infinite lives so it’s pretty low stakes.

Was actually going to suggest this one with a similar story. Although your kid apparently doesn't fling their dude down pits repeatedly because they say a funny line when you do.

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

FoolyCharged posted:

Was actually going to suggest this one with a similar story. Although your kid apparently doesn't fling their dude down pits repeatedly because they say a funny line when you do.

Oh he does that. Yes. Also getting him to keep walking instead of standing in the corner and repeatedly pressing the taunt button is a struggle, but you know…

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
Trip report on games totally not good for the average kid gamer: starlink (switch). Split screen co-op causes massive confusion plus the control scheme.

I do imagine some sort of side scrolling streets of rage ala tmnt would work much better.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Last thing kid asked before sleep tonight?

"Dad, can you promise me we won't play video games again?"

Sigh.

We have had maybe 4 gaming sessions all together, over 5-6 weeks. I apparently messed up in letting her watch me play Zelda: A Link to the Past. My impression was she loved it, at the time. She liked mowing the grass and bushes. But then I was struggling a bit with one of the early bosses and died a lot. Then finally triumphed and got the amulet. She said nothing about it at the time but now 5 weeks later she apparently "can't stop thinking about Zelda" because it's a scary game.

For context, she's 4 ½.

Other trip reports:

* Super Mario World and Super Mario Brothers both waaay too steep learning curve.
* Super Mario Bros 2, surprisingly a lot more engaging for some reason? At least, wanted to watch me play.

* We did play Untitled Goose Game in coop the other day and it was fine. Fun was had.

* Katamari Damacy Re-roll was a bit too intense with the camera movement, I think. She took to the wonky control scheme a lot better than my wife did, but that's not saying a lot. Rolled over a fair bit of stuff in the tutorial but the time limits are way too harsh for a kid, even on level 1.

* Boulderdash on the NES emulator was OK up until you meet the first enemies, on stage 4. Digging!

We talked a bit more and then she asked me if there were any games "where nothing moves except the one you're playing as". I guess let's look into even more laid-back games? We have a Steam Link for playing on the TV but could try PC gaming with a mouse as well. She does OK at the "coloring with the bucket in MS Paint" game. Maybe we'll try Townscaper?

Hippie Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 30, 2023

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
A surprisingly good game for younger (6+) kids is No Man's Sky. Put it in Creative mode, find a nice paradise planet with no hostile stuff or too weird aliens, and let them build and explore. Total chillout game with minimal bad stuff; about the only thing negative they can get into is killing the local alien lifeforms (they can also befriend them, though) and finding abandoned buildings (which have a bit of a scary atmosphere and hostile aliens, if you tell them to avoid that stuff it eliminates any possibility of a jumpscare). They'll see cool spaceships and other stuff flying around which gives it a nice sense of wonder and atmosphere for them.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

We talked a bit more and then she asked me if there were any games "where nothing moves except the one you're playing as". I guess let's look into even more laid-back games? We have a Steam Link for playing on the TV but could try PC gaming with a mouse as well. She does OK at the "coloring with the bucket in MS Paint" game. Maybe we'll try Townscaper?

My daughter didn't really come into her own with gaming until 6 or so. Even now, she's more interested in laid-back games where you build / collect stuff (Animal Crossing and Garden Paws) or open world games where enemies aren't challenging (Lego games). I've introduced her to a lot of different games, but nothing else has piqued her interest quite as much. My son is 5 and will only play games with his older sister; or Townscaper, he loves that "game" (watch a video first, it's hardly a game).

There's a ton of games out there, maybe something will click for your kid. And if it does, report back so I can update the OP! :)

Aryoc
Nov 27, 2006

:black101: Goblin King :black101:
Grimey Drawer
An unexpected hit for the 4 year old in our house has been Snipperclips on Switch. She's rarely interested in actually solving the puzzles, it seems to just be fun for us to chase each other around the little levels.

New Super Mario Bros. U has also been a lot of fun, it's a really good intro to platforming since it's 2D and has the bunny character that doesn't take damage from any enemies, so you can practice jumping and running in peace.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Last thing kid asked before sleep tonight?

"Dad, can you promise me we won't play video games again?"

Sigh.

We have had maybe 4 gaming sessions all together, over 5-6 weeks. I apparently messed up in letting her watch me play Zelda: A Link to the Past. She said nothing about it at the time but now 5 weeks later she apparently "can't stop thinking about Zelda" because it's a scary game.

For context, she's 4 ½.

I stopped playing BOTW because the mummies scared the hell out of my daughter and gave her nightmares for weeks.

Imagery means a lot to kids, so darkness/dark themes/roaring can spook them a lot. Fighting in general (even just the overworld crawl of zelda) can be too much depending on the kid.

It's easier to understand if you imagine a 4 year old looking at five nights at Freddy's or whatever that title is with the jump scares and imagine your kid doesn't have a 90% chance of meltdowns/nightmares/new phobias.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

We have had maybe 4 gaming sessions all together, over 5-6 weeks. I apparently messed up in letting her watch me play Zelda: A Link to the Past. My impression was she loved it, at the time. She liked mowing the grass and bushes. But then I was struggling a bit with one of the early bosses and died a lot. Then finally triumphed and got the amulet. She said nothing about it at the time but now 5 weeks later she apparently "can't stop thinking about Zelda" because it's a scary game.

Ya know, as a kid I refused to play this game past the 1st dungeon because the 2nd one scared the poo poo out of me. But I'd want to keep going so I'd always bug the poo poo out of my brother to play instead. So I guess I can see that.

Right now my kid is obsessed with Mario Odyssey. The movement's still too hard for him so we take turns between daddy collecting moons and kiddo running off of ledges. Still, for a 4 year old I think he's catching on quick.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
Yesterday my daughter begged me to play "the space prince game" (Katamari) again. We couldn't yesterday, but tonight was a perfect opportunity after her swimming lesson. Physically tired yet raring to go with the digital rolling.

I'm gonna have to show her mother how to use the Steam Link. (I already tried to get her into Katamari but she can't handle neither the default controls or the "simplified".)

Daugher had a blast rolling around the tutorial level again, and then watching me "make the moon" on the last level. The giant squid were a hit!

(Cue talk over dessert of what would happen if our house was rolled up, etc.)

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Yesterday my daughter begged me to play "the space prince game" (Katamari) again. We couldn't yesterday, but tonight was a perfect opportunity after her swimming lesson. Physically tired yet raring to go with the digital rolling.

I'm gonna have to show her mother how to use the Steam Link. (I already tried to get her into Katamari but she can't handle neither the default controls or the "simplified".)

Daugher had a blast rolling around the tutorial level again, and then watching me "make the moon" on the last level. The giant squid were a hit!

(Cue talk over dessert of what would happen if our house was rolled up, etc.)

If I recall correctly, when you beat katamari you unlock a no time limit mode.

https://katamari.fandom.com/wiki/Eternal_Mode

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

c355n4 posted:

If I recall correctly, when you beat katamari you unlock a no time limit mode.

https://katamari.fandom.com/wiki/Eternal_Mode

Aha!

Not by beating it, but by exceeding expectations. Make the Moon requires 300 m, but to unlock Eternal Mode, I need to get to 800 m. Looks like I'm in for some practice?

(What a weird thing to have an unlock for! Why not just make it a menu option, but turn off level progression when it's enabled? Maybe it's because the game is actually kind of ancient and developers didn't worry about difficulty back then.)

Thanks for the pointer!

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

I figured out my new go-to for the kids playing games together.
  1. Install whatever random Lego game I have onto the PC.
  2. Download a 100% save file.
  3. Let the kids at it.

They use Lego games as a virtual dollhouse. Running around, exploring, and making up stories with the dozens of characters they have access to (plus character customization in the newer ones). They aren't gated by any story progression that they don't care about going through. It's pretty great seeing them play together in that virtual sandbox.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
Lil guy took the remote control and started systematically pressing buttons with intention. He looped through the home button and kinda got that the bottom 4 buttons are traps (yes even the Disney button, that account is loaded on other remote). He kept resetting back to "home" when he saw a service intro that he didn't recognize the shape and color of. systematically pressing them to try and navigate to a video, any video that he would want to watch. Got to HBO Max and saw and Elmo and got hype. I uh... Helped him find the next three buttons to get there.

Roku is like a videogame

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Just wanted to say that my 2YO bounced hard off Sago Mini games for whatever reason, but was pretty into stuff by Bimi Boo.

It seems kinda similar (chill, cute, no ads, some educational value in shape/colour/etc matching).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
My 8 year old alternates between Tales of Vesperia, animal crossing and Sago mini style games (my city and all the other kindle fire stuff). Vesperia had advanced her reading so much (she was very predisposed to this as an avid reader) she actually reads faster than I do, and I took speed reading classes growing up.

I believe I've created a monster.