Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Toxic Mental posted:

The hype around Wenbanyama feels… overhyped. I’ll believe he can handle NBA bigs and speed when I see it.

is this based on anything or are we being contrarian goons for kicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Wemby might have injury issues, but i saw him play AS Monaco and I think he looked legit- Monaco did win because they're way more experienced and a better team, but it was close down to the wire. Monaco won because they basically had their like 6'-7" center seal him off in a probably very illegal manner to prevent him from providing rim protection.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

Declan MacManus posted:

is this based on anything or are we being contrarian goons for kicks

How many bean pole big men have been dominant?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

dokmo posted:

Some stray thoughts on the prospects.

I want to emphasize how goddamn athletic the Thompsons are. I'm pretty sure there hasn't been anyone as athletic in 20 years.

Cam whitmore is also an elite athlete, and would be the most athletic player in any draft aside from this one.

Jarace is a very big loving dude. I mean huge. It's nice to have a defender this good and versatile without being a zero on the offensive end.

Max Lewis is just about the worst defender in the draft. He was so bad it made me angry.

I think Taylor Hendricks can defend NBA players, but I'm not sure. If he can he's a very solid player.

Remember when Guerschon Yabusele was comped to a dancing bear? Jarace Walker is the version of that who's a good NBA player.

dokmo posted:

His defense is very questionable, his jumper is questionable, he's a one handed driver, and he literally never passes. His limitations are very obvious, but he's also only 18 years old. I would have thought his age made him more attractive to teams, but I guess I was wrong.

For what it's worth I heard he had a back injury, don't know if that's fantasia or what. Seeing him lose the ball in traffic again and again gave me nightmares

at 21 though, if you can just teach him to shoot and protect his dribble then it's a steal of a deal. I'm glad Detroit didn't take him.

I think Ausar was a fine pick because specifically he has a ton of experience playing with a paint touch generating freak, even if Cade does it by waddling and amen does it by zipping forward like a mag lev train

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 24, 2023

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

three posted:

Kevin Durant first to mind

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

three posted:

The Goat (KAJ).

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/NBAMemes/status/1672047408522448896?s=20

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Manute bol was pretty good

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dejan Bimble posted:

I think Ausar was a fine pick because specifically he has a ton of experience playing with a paint touch generating freak, even if Cade does it by waddling and amen does it by zipping forward like a mag lev train

I like Amen at 4. Didn't like Ausar at 5 but didn't hate it

three posted:

Durant is the comparable I most like for Vic. It's not 100%, but it's close.

Giannis, KAJ, are also good comps. If it makes you feel better, Vic will be better as a forward than a center.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

I like Amen at 4. Didn't like Ausar at 5 but didn't hate it

Durant is the comparable I most like for Vic. It's not 100%, but it's close.

Giannis, KAJ, are also good comps. If it makes you feel better, Vic will be better as a forward than a center.
Ausar is obviously not his brother and there's tons of risk. but why not. gotta shoot for the moon

Maybe Kareem Abdul Jabarr on cocaine and amphetamine. Real kareem played basketball like a man driving a lift
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zklh1oEQFFM

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 24, 2023

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
That injury that cam whitmore has must be loving scary because he really looks like someone who at very least will be able to get buckets in his sleep against second units

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Wemby structural flaw is going to be his center of gravity. Assuming he puts on weight, he not going to carrying most of that below his waist. Winhorst called out how narrow his hips are. I am curious if the Rui + AD help style defense will work well against him in the NBA. He may just go out perimeter and shoot a 3 over top of shorter defenders .

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Ausar is obviously not his brother and there's tons of risk. but why not. gotta shoot for the moon

Maybe Kareem Abdul Jabarr on cocaine and amphetamine. Real kareem played basketball like a man driving a lift
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zklh1oEQFFM

I mean, KAJ had several years to go off of but if I had to imagine what a "KAJ-like prospect" looks like in 2023, Vic is as close as I could get.

And yeah, Ausar at 5 I didn't hate because sure, swing for the fences. I wouldn't have done that but I get it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Calidus posted:

Wemby structural flaw is going to be his center of gravity. Assuming he puts on weight, he not going to carrying most of that below his waist. Winhorst called out how narrow his hips are. I am curious if the Rui + AD help style defense will work well against him in the NBA. He may just go out perimeter and shoot a 3 over top of shorter defenders .

That's what he'll do. If the Spurs are dumb they'll try to make him a center. He's a forward who will punish guys in the perimeter. Put a bunch of weight on that guy and you'll ruin his career.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Calidus posted:

Yeah like Lockback said. It's not 2000. nobody's going to force him to get on anavar and pack on the poundage.

Let him cover ground like a scary spider man, let him hit one leg fadeaway jumpers from 40 feet. Let wemby be wemby.

Much like Giannis, you save him at center for nba playoffs supreme pressure moments

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

Lockback posted:

That's what he'll do. If the Spurs are dumb they'll try to make him a center. He's a forward who will punish guys in the perimeter. Put a bunch of weight on that guy and you'll ruin his career.

Even if the Spurs were dumb (they're not), Wemby himself has already shown he's too smart to fall into the "That kid is too skinny!" trap. He was talking at length during the ESPN draft broadcast about how his mobility is key for his game, and how bulk for the sake of bulk is bad, and how he just needs to focus on building functional strength without radically transforming his body. I know there was that article earlier this month about how he's big into body management stuff already too

I do secretly hope that his presence in the NBA leads to every team rostering a 6'7" cannonball offensive post bully as a counter. Let the plump boys with baby hooks run wild

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Someone dust off Dejuan Blair

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

Much like Giannis, you save him at center for nba playoffs supreme pressure moments

Yeah, there's situations where he'll play the five and, holy poo poo, it'll be scary. But for the 90 or so games in the regular season + handleable playoff games where you don't need that? You 100% play him next to another big and let him roam or lock down a poor perimeter player

It's the AD conundrum but amped up.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KG was pretty skinny too

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
Mildly ironic that Poeltl seems like a really good big to pair w Wemby

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I always thought the vibe on Wemby was "evolutionary Durant" and that he'll have what, maybe 2-3 times a game where he plays back to the basket at most? He'd die if he came about in the '80s but that's not here nor there. He'll prob end up adding around 10-15 pounds as he grows but he's never gonna become a bruiser.

Also, KAJ? We're really not just gonna call Kareem Kareem?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
After watching two Nick Smith Jr highlight videos I think he’s a star. Betting it all on Charlotte’s summer league team

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

morestuff posted:

After watching two Nick Smith Jr highlight videos I think he’s a star. Betting it all on Charlotte’s summer league team

Counterpoint:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Dude was hurt all year and still chucked because he has the heart of a baller

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

C. Everett Koop posted:

I always thought the vibe on Wemby was "evolutionary Durant" and that he'll have what, maybe 2-3 times a game where he plays back to the basket at most? He'd die if he came about in the '80s but that's not here nor there. He'll prob end up adding around 10-15 pounds as he grows but he's never gonna become a bruiser.

Also, KAJ? We're really not just gonna call Kareem Kareem?

I think he's closer to Durant than other comps but I think be careful on comps too much. Wemby seems more comfortable going low than Durant did at this age, and right now I don't think Vic has the kind of touch 12 feet out Durant did (which meant Durant didn't really need to bang low). Young Durant was mostly a 3, I think Wemby will be mostly a 4, for what that distinction is with anymore.

Mostly just mock anyone who wants to turn him into a full time center.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I am curious enough about something being there that I did not have Nick Smith on my "avoid completely" list so I think he could work out. He has the right size at least.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Wemby seems a lot stronger than Durant at this age though. Like Durant's lack of muscle was unbelievable that he was as good as he was.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Kibner posted:

Counterpoint:

drat paywalls. Can you do one for usage and FT% sorted by FT% descending for all 60 picks?

Also, forgot that Portland has Sharpe and Simons. That young backcourt really be jumping out the gym with the level of explosiveness.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
healthy ralph sampson with a bigger bag and a license to shoot is my oldhead wemby comp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I just want matas buzelis to wear a tie died suit for NBA draft next year.