Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
NBA Draft Lottery results 2023

Pick Team
1. Spurs
2. Hornets
3. Trail Blazers
4. Rockets
5. Pistons
6. Magic
7. Pacers
8. Wizards
9. Jazz
10. Mavericks
11. Magic*
12. Thunder
13. Raptors
14. Pelicans
15. Atlanta
16. Utah (from Minnesota)
17. Los Angeles Lakers
18. Miami
19. Golden State
20. Houston (from LA Clippers)
21. Brooklyn (from Phoenix)
22. Brooklyn
23. Portland (from New York)
24. Sacramento
25. Memphis
26. Indiana (from Cleveland)
27. Charlotte (from Denver via New York and Oklahoma City)
28. Utah (from Philadelphia via Brooklyn)
29. Indiana (from Boston)
30. LA Clippers (from Milwaukee via Houston)

Note: The draft order above assumes that a team with the right to swap one pick for another exercises such right only if it is favorable to do so.

Second Round: Picks 31-58

31. Detroit
32. Indiana (from Houston)
33. San Antonio
34. Charlotte (from Charlotte via Philadelphia and Atlanta)
35. Boston (from Portland via Atlanta, LA Clippers, Detroit, and Cleveland)
36. Orlando
37. Oklahoma City (from Washington via New Orleans)
38. Sacramento (from Indiana)
39. Charlotte (from Utah via New York)
40. Denver (from Dallas via Oklahoma City)
41. Charlotte (from Oklahoma City via New York and Boston)
42. Washington (from Chicago via Los Angeles Lakers and Washington)
43. Portland (from Atlanta)
44. San Antonio (from Toronto)
45. Memphis (from Minnesota)
46. Atlanta (from New Orleans)
47. Los Angeles Lakers
48. LA Clippers
49. Cleveland (from Golden State via Utah and New Orleans)
50. Oklahoma City (from Miami via Boston, Memphis, and Dallas)
51. Brooklyn
52. Phoenix
53. Minnesota (from New York via Charlotte)
54. Sacramento
55. Indiana (from Cleveland via Milwaukee and Detroit)
56. Memphis
— Chicago (from Denver via Cleveland; forfeited by Chicago)
— Philadelphia (forfeited)
57. Washington (from Boston via Charlotte)
58. Milwaukee

Welcome. Your team got screwed by a rigged draft or rewarded justly for a hard season. This is where we chat about prospects, post draft articles, and ask questions about guys we heard about on podcasts.

Please don't be afraid to ask a dumb question, prospect scouting for free is the province of the insane, and we like to talk about it

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 06:04 on May 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Whatever happened to the 2023 FRP from ATL in the Dejounte trade? Does that mean the Spurs get the 27th pick?

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

anakha posted:

Whatever happened to the 2023 FRP from ATL in the Dejounte trade? Does that mean the Spurs get the 27th pick?

charlotte's first that ATL traded didn't convey this year because it didn't meet the protections as far as I can tell

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I really hope the Lakers use their picks and don't try to flip them for a veteran guard.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Give us our lonzo tampering pick back, he's dead.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
After sleeping on it I genuinely don’t know what the Hornets should do. The upside / non-accessory to murder choice in Scoot feels like the right call with a pick that high, but the appeal of just taking Miller and having PG / wing / C locked down for the next 5+ years is pretty real.

The mock drafts seem split, even among the plugged in guys. I hate that Charlotte is actually going to have to make a high-stakes decision, I’d be more optimistic about the pick panning out if they were choosing the leftover at third.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

What do the Blazers do at 3? I feel like they need someone good and tough in the post.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

morestuff posted:

After sleeping on it I genuinely don’t know what the Hornets should do. The upside / non-accessory to murder choice in Scoot feels like the right call with a pick that high, but the appeal of just taking Miller and having PG / wing / C locked down for the next 5+ years is pretty real.

The mock drafts seem split, even among the plugged in guys. I hate that Charlotte is actually going to have to make a high-stakes decision, I’d be more optimistic about the pick panning out if they were choosing the leftover at third.

Charlotte lost a player last year to being a fuckboy. They definitely should go Scoot, then try to flip Terry for some role players.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

TV Zombie posted:

What do the Blazers do at 3? I feel like they need someone good and tough in the post.

They draft whoever Charlotte doesn’t because there is a clear drop off after 3, I think

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Slowpoke! posted:

They draft whoever Charlotte doesn’t because there is a clear drop off after 3, I think

Probably Brandon Miller. He's a Forward who can play next to Sharpe and possibly Lillard if Dame doesn't get traded

They'd be a good spot for Scoot too, especially if they do end up trading Lillard

dphi
Jul 9, 2001

TV Zombie posted:

Probably try to package the pick with Simons or something to get a (perceived) difference maker

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

morestuff posted:

Scoot's ability to penetrate and scoring PG tendencies could actually work with LaMelo's shooting and more pass-happy approach. LaMelo has the size to guard SGs as well.

Also, keep in mind, LaMelo doesn't exactly have a clean injury history. Scoot can provide some security there and maybe prevent a similar freefall as what happened last season should LaMelo go down.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Melo can guard SGs in theory but that'd still be a pretty dogshit defensive backcourt. The offense would almost definitely make up for it but it's not the cleanest fit, and they'd still have to plug a gaping hole at the wing at some point

Catching up on draft coverage now and the Miller / Scoot split is very weird, there seems to be at least some consensus that they're close but the Scoot riders are VERY adamant he's in a separate tier entirely

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
I don't know who the Pels should be looking at and I'm not sure I particularly care this season. Their needs are switchable center that can rebound and has at least one reliable way of putting the ball in the basket and a traditional pg with size that can rebound, defend two positions and make spot up shots.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Scott did not maybe help kill someone, so that's a big plus right there

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Bulls currently have 0 picks. Their 1st round pick last year played 0 meaningful minutes last year. They have to re-sign vooch be ause they are over the cap and cannot replace him if he leaves. They used their mid-level on Andre Drummond. Lonzo Ball has no knees. This team is utterly hosed!

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Cason Wallace, Jordan Hawkins, Nick Smith Jr all fall into the raptors range and all would be great picks if they pan out.

Feel like Pistons should take Taylor Hendricks as he would be a great fit, just unfortunate how they got screwed.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

R.D. Mangles posted:

The Bulls currently have 0 picks. Their 1st round pick last year played 0 meaningful minutes last year. They have to re-sign vooch be ause they are over the cap and cannot replace him if he leaves. They used their mid-level on Andre Drummond. Lonzo Ball has no knees. This team is utterly hosed!

have they heard of “the process” ?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

fart simpson posted:

have they heard of “the process” ?

have you heard of "temecula"??????????

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Other than Wembanyama and Scoot, how is this draft supposed to stack up?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hand Knit posted:

Brandon Miller might be better than Scoot but also might have helped murder some guy. But he's a 6'9" wing and that's important in the NBA. Then Amen Thompson is a Big Guard that would be cool to get and everyone loves Big Guards in the draft, especially a guy as athletic as Amen. Then it kinda drops off to a lot of upside guys who might be awful.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Man, I cant wait to see Wemby doing crazy poo poo in Summer League

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Hand Knit posted:

Well superstar point guard Boo Buie is returning to northwestern for his 4th senior year, so in my opinion no one else is worth drafting.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Is there any chance Leonard Miller falls to 17? He seems like one of those guys who is gonna consistently rise up the board and be a late lottery pick, but I guess I can hope for him to drop to the Lakers

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
The Hornets will overthink it and pick the worst option like they always do. Kupchak saying he has freedom to take position of need over talent on a team as lovely as Charlotte is mind boggling.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

three posted:

The Hornets will overthink it and pick the worst option like they always do. Kupchak saying he has freedom to take position of need over talent on a team as lovely as Charlotte is mind boggling.

I'm sure that'll be the case but their opportunity to gently caress up is pretty small unless you think Scoot is light years ahead of Miller as a prospect

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

morestuff posted:

I really wouldn’t mind Charlotte doing a Luca/Jalen Brunson thing with scooter and ball. Ball has the size to play off guard when necessary. Scoot is just way more talented than Brandon Miller as enticing as Brandon Miller is he does have some real flaws that could be exploited in the NBA

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

The Glumslinger posted:

Is there any chance Leonard Miller falls to 17? He seems like one of those guys who is gonna consistently rise up the board and be a late lottery pick, but I guess I can hope for him to drop to the Lakers

As exciting as he and as athletic as he just tested at the combine he’s still pretty unproven so it’s possible yeah. I don’t know if it’s probable but it’s definitely possible

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Remember this. A lot of people say scoot is one of the best guards they’ve ever seen. Miller is a nice 2 way 3/4. The upside of one is much higher than the other.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
The real sad part of this draft is that the world won't get to see Bryce Young standing next to Wemby. The hilarity of that photo would be amazing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Remember this. A lot of people say scoot is one of the best guards they’ve ever seen. Miller is a nice 2 way 3/4. The upside of one is much higher than the other.

I agree with you because I value playmaking so much in the draft, but a 6'9 2 way player with range is like the single most valuable guy in the NBA right now. If you're a GM and you draft the next Tatum you just became a GM golden god.

I'd probably want Scoot as a fan, but I might take Miller if I was a GM.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
When does Wemby + Bronny + LeBron conspiracy get started?

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Gradey Dick belongs in Salt Lake. Just look at him.

Elder Dick jerseys will sell out in five minutes

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
I have no idea what the Rockets should do in this draft, other than trade their pick, either as part of a package for somebody that will actually help the team or see if they have anyone the Hornets or Blazers would want for a pick swap.

Most mocks have them taking Amen Thompson, and I shudder at thought of adding another hyper-athlete that can't shoot.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Blind Pineapple posted:

I have no idea what the Rockets should do in this draft, other than trade their pick, either as part of a package for somebody that will actually help the team or see if they have anyone the Hornets or Blazers would want for a pick swap.

Most mocks have them taking Amen Thompson, and I shudder at thought of adding another hyper-athlete that can't shoot.

The solution it trade some of their extra picks so they can get both Thompson twins.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Which Thompson is the good one

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Dejan Bimble posted:

Yeah I don't think it's much of a choice, I'm surprised anyone is saying Miller at 2 but a lot of people are. Yes there's a possibility Scoot flames out and Miller is a more solid NBA pro but you don't draft for solid players with picks that high, you draft to find a star.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
For the Tatum comp, I know it wasn't really a comp, but the knocks on Mr Tatum coming out of Kentucky were that despite being an absolute iso scoring God, he didn't play defense, he didn't really have a handle, and he wasn't much of a passer

For Brandon it's great 3p shooting, good defense, middling athlete, kind of scrawny, not super flexible, not a great finisher

So Tatum's elite skill was iso scoring. Miller's elite skill is 3p shooting with a side of strong defense. Being an elite iso scorer usually means more upside than being a strong jumpshooter and closeout attacker. Like miller's median outcome is probably Tobias Harris as a good defender, with everyone wishing he'd become Paul George, who's a much much better athlete and 6'11

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

The Glumslinger posted:

Man, I cant wait to see Wemby doing crazy poo poo in Summer League

After Chet went down last year! They gonna put him in a cryogenic chamber until the season starts, then unleash him like the terminator.
I might have my movies mixed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chilihead
Nov 5, 2010

Is this real life, or is this fantasy?

Calidus posted:

The solution it trade some of their extra picks so they can get both Thompson twins.