Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Jon Pod Van Damm posted:

who do they owe money to? anyone important?

SS payments will be absolutely hosed immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Every time they pull this brinksmanship poo poo I keep hoping that we go over the brink.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

You guys are always doing this. Is it just your version of passing the budget?

Idk why you have to keep arguing about whether to keep America running or not every couple years.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Communist Thoughts posted:

Idk why you have to keep arguing about whether to keep America running or not every couple years.

personally i would argue that america should stop running immediately

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

For the last decade it's just what the republicans do when they only control one house of congress and not the presidency. They do a performative idiot fit for a few months that appeals to nobody but weird cranks and then the monied interests step in and make them raise the debt ceiling because defaulting would cost them trillions of dollars and even delaying passage of a new debt ceiling translates to billions in losses.

I can't think of a reason for republicans to even pretend to have a debt ceiling fight. It only seems to hurt them. I guess they could be extorting the monied interests for more bribes

luv2shit
May 15, 2023

blatman posted:

personally i would argue that america should stop running immediately

calling up brandon: hello sir is your country running? well you better go catch it! :roflolmao:

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Filthy Hans posted:

SS payments will be absolutely hosed immediately

yeah the big blue slice is money we borrowed from SS with no intention of ever paying it back lmao

tempacct52223
May 22, 2023
this thread should be renamed to the end of the world party -- bankruptcy 2023

talk about round three of september 11th

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

we talk about how austerity is necessary during the budget but then we also have a cool bit of insane non-accounting for a “debt limit” that allows an entirely secondary set of discussions about how austerity is needed.

tempacct52223
May 22, 2023

Best Friends posted:

we talk about how austerity is necessary during the budget but then we also have a cool bit of insane non-accounting for a “debt limit” that allows an entirely secondary set of discussions about how austerity is needed.

135% of GDP and More Please

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.
I think America should borrow as much money as possible just so the economy collapses extra hard once the dollar is no longer the petrodollar and the world's reserve currency.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

It's an excuse for austerity by both parties op

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Can some lovely political rag hire me to make a meaningless gibberish piece about how we should all stop worrying about the debt ceiling and instead worry about the debt roof.

It doesn't mean anything, so I can do the lib garbage, the chud garbage, or the supercilious centrist garbage version.

dew worm
Apr 20, 2019

Joe...mint the coin

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
8 more days lets goooooo!!!!!

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

dew worm posted:

Joe...mint the coin

Old people love mints. He's gonna do it.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Weka posted:

Old people love mints. He's gonna do it.

once worked olive garden. can confirm.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1662505465836699648

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

i prefer my debt represented in the form of large things with the word "debt" written on it

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

lol good luck passing it by the 5th now. pretty please default dear lord.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1662628128034791425

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
come on, cut medicare already. these cuts are lame

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/laurenboebert/status/1662651545316388871

*Pounds table* LEADERSHIP SPILL! LEADERSHIP SPILL!

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
default avoided! USA still #1!!!! USA USA USA USA :patriot:

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
following this crap is more embarrassing than wrestling plots

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Number is going to love this poo poo.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Number is going to love this poo poo.

300 points baby!

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Foodstamps for guns lol :911:

Weka
May 5, 2019

I'm genuinely unsure if you mean that there's more spending on the military and less on foodstamps or if you can now exchange foodstamps for guns.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

my big beautiful debt ceiling, held up by load bearing decorum drywall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Weka posted:

I'm genuinely unsure if you mean that there's more spending on the military and less on foodstamps or if you can now exchange foodstamps for guns.

Would be a better way to guarantee food to the poor