Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar

Dukberry posted:

i cannot imagine sympathizing with the plight of adults who choose to accept money for bullying children and coddling parents.

I don't know many people who do this and stay teaching for long. Kids don't put up with that so they quickly get tagged as lovely teachers by admins and then... Welp...

(...They move into leadership and fail upwards forever.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat

Dukberry posted:

i cannot imagine sympathizing with the plight of adults who choose to accept money for bullying children and coddling parents.

OUCH!

Sharp as gently caress right there! Watch yourselves around this one.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Dukberry posted:

You mean, like, principals and administrators, not teachers, right?

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

No I remember plenty of teachers who, on reflection as an adult, were clearly bullies or at least had personalities inclined towards it.

Also everyone I knew at university who went off to teach had that sort of personality. They'd love that sort of 'well I'm the Authority so even if I'm wrong it's undermining me to point it out' vibe.

And my school was not even bad at all!

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I interviewed a NK escapee who came to my school and made a thread. Then life got in the way and the translation had to be postponed. I did finish it in the end, but nobody is going to pay 10 bux to update my.avatar
That sucks. Maybe they all quit after a few years of hating their lives.

Teachers have so little power in their jobs. One admin or angry parent can seriously ruin your year. I think most people who remember 'scary, bully' teachers are just remembering what it felt like to see school from a child's perspective. It's very different as an adult. :eng101:

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Spermanent Record posted:

Teachers have so little power in their jobs. One admin or angry parent can seriously ruin your year. I think most people who remember 'scary, bully' teachers are just remembering what it felt like to see school from a child's perspective. It's very different as an adult. :eng101:

I feel the exact opposite way about our power.

I decide every single quiz and test question. I decide every single activity that we do. I decide what my students do literally every second they are in my classroom and I don’t have to run that poo poo by anyone.

You do your job well they only thing you get from parents is a gift card at the end of the year.

Spermanent Record
Mar 28, 2007
I mean yeah, we usually have choices in how we run our classrooms but that's not really what I meant.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Spermanent Record posted:

And yet there were always the ones who just seemed like they hated kids yet stuck it out for who the gently caress knows what reason. I always thought they were gonna retire but then like years go by and they're still there.

Also I had some coworkers who definitely enjoyed the power trip, or at least thought respect was given and not earned. Kids can sniff that poo poo out in a hot second, it's pretty impressive

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

spunkshui posted:

I decide every single quiz and test question. I decide every single activity that we do. I decide what my students do literally every second they are in my classroom and I don’t have to run that poo poo by anyone.

You do your job well they only thing you get from parents is a gift card at the end of the year.

Until you assign a Gwendolyn Brooks poem or acknowledge that vaccines work, or say that ghosts or ufos aren’t real.

Lemon Trees
Dec 19, 2022

Cool Cucumber
The redditors who are teachers likely just suck as teachers. I would bully my teacher if i found out he was a redditor

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

ElectricSheep posted:

And yet there were always the ones who just seemed like they hated kids yet stuck it out for who the gently caress knows what reason. I always thought they were gonna retire but then like years go by and they're still there.

Also I had some coworkers who definitely enjoyed the power trip, or at least thought respect was given and not earned. Kids can sniff that poo poo out in a hot second, it's pretty impressive

one of the key (and honestly best) things about teaching is that students are a lot smarter than we give them credit for. not all of them, but enough that as you say, you can't really be a power tripper or a hypocrite and hope to get any respect in the classroom.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

spunkshui posted:

What sort of district are you in, also what subject.

ElectricSheep posted:

Yup, at my place there are kids who will basically chronically skip your class entirely if they get into any pure spite based relationship.
I had a girl tell me she bothered informing me she'd miss my class (for an actual reason) just out of respect. Which in retrospect was her way of saying other teachers could go gently caress themselves.
All I did differently was not be a power tripping weirdo honestly. Like I have authority and have flexed it of course, you absolutely have to.
But some fuckers that's all they do period. There's no give or take, no treating kids with respect or even really like they're people.

Grape fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 29, 2023

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

NoiseAnnoys posted:

one of the key (and honestly best) things about teaching is that students are a lot smarter than we give them credit for. not all of them, but enough that as you say, you can't really be a power tripper or a hypocrite and hope to get any respect in the classroom.

You gotta like em. You gotta like kids. Even like, weird as this sounds, conceptually.
Even when you also get driven up a wall and beyond by them. When you think of those scamps you should be able to smile. Could be all sorts of smiles, tired, amused, half crazy. But still smile.
The teachers who basically spend all their time non-sarcastically talking about kids as monsters (or my least favorite form of this, like they're monsters now and didn't used to be back in the day lmao), those are the ones who have these adversarial lives in the career. And I can't stand that poo poo.

Anyway my favorite emotion in the job is extremely hard to describe, except I've nonstop been thinking of the following scene since I got involved with working with kids.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKYWXIAJKNM&t=426s

That's my favorite emotion.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Most teachers make money on the side for giving out better grades. So they're doing ok financially.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Schweinhund posted:

Most teachers make money on the side for giving out better grades. So they're doing ok financially.

Bullshit lol, I teach with some super rich kids and that ain't even a thing here, let alone whatever lunch money poo poo you'd be making in most districts if such a racket existed.

Either that's some college level thing, or your reading some nonsense.
That sounds like the sort of crap the GOP would make up to try and make teachers look fat and spoiled (and corrupt too for the whole picture).

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Grape posted:

Bullshit lol, I teach with some super rich kids and that ain't even a thing here, let alone whatever lunch money poo poo you'd be making in most districts if such a racket existed.

That sounds like the sort of crap the GOP would make up to try and make teachers look fat and spoiled (and corrupt too for the whole picture).

it ain't a college level thing either, that poo poo will get you blacklisted.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Grape posted:

C-, work on your reading comprehension and see me after class

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Grape posted:

Bribes at the university level would probably be to deans or administrators. Faculty are considered beneath contempt by parents, who usually go immediately to the department chair or president’s office if they want to complain. I’d imagine cash would be similar.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Grape posted:

I read you. It doesn't happen ;)

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Grape posted:

A college professor mentioned having a student from Saudi Arabia who hadn’t bothered to attend class all semester & upon realizing this meant he wouldn’t graduate shortly before he flew home he offered to give the professor his nearly new BMW.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Schweinhund posted:

I read you. It doesn't happen ;)

Based on your other posts itt, do you have anymore republican talking points you'd like to share? Or are you satisfied with this particularly stupid one for now lol.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

On the topic of teachers who demand "respect" for their students, one of the most useful things I say to all my students is I don't care one bit if they respect me. I don't need the respect of 12 year olds, it does absolutely nothing for me. What I need is for them to do the work and learn about their world so they can be functioning members of society. Once kids saw that I'm not a "me vs them" it got a lot easier to get even the most apathetic kids working.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I just remember a funny class I had. They were a special class of near-genius level kids that was like 4 students and they ALL sent every other teacher who tried to teach them home crying.

These kids were legit like little Hannibal Lecters. Not only were they able to read poo poo like Silas Marner in a second language in middle school, they *actually understood* the story. They were so smart that the only thing that interested them was picking apart the teachers and pushing their buttons.

Only when greeted with things like "Oh you think you're so smart? Well then why do you think X feels like Y?" questioning that challenged them about the deeper meanings and philosophical questions of the texts did the ever come down to earth and actually try. You could get them to focus and talk for an hour about whether or not Cathy in Wuthering Heights was a real ghost or a mental projection and explain why they thought so, with evidence, but trying to get them to take a simple vocab test on the material was like pulling teeth.

I think it was a bit like what they say Ritalin does, it brings the body's energy up to where the mind's is, thus balancing it out.

Those kids were great and they loved me not because I commanded respect but because I expected the right amount of critical thinking and showing their ability that no one else did. They begged me not to transfer schools and some of them cried on my last day and hugged me because I was the only teacher who ever challenged them and treated them the way they were looking to be treated.

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Jun 29, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Toxic Mental posted:

I just remember a funny class I had. They were a special class of near-genius level kids that was like 4 students and they ALL sent every other teacher who tried to teach them home crying.

These kids were legit like little Hannibal Lecters. Not only were they able to read poo poo like Silas Marner in a second language in middle school, they *actually understood* the story. They were so smart that the only thing that interested them was picking apart the teachers and pushing their buttons.

Only when greeted with things like "Oh you think you're so smart? Well then why do you think X feels like Y?" questioning that challenged them about the deeper meanings and philosophical questions of the texts did the ever come down to earth and actually try. You could get them to focus and talk for an hour about whether or not Cathy in Wuthering Heights was a real ghost or a mental projection and explain why they thought so, with evidence, but trying to get them to take a simple vocab test on the material was like pulling teeth.

I think it was a bit like what they say Ritalin does, it brings the body's energy up to where the mind's is, thus balancing it out.

Those kids were great and they loved me not because I commanded respect but because I expected the right amount of critical thinking and showing their ability that no one else did. They begged me not to transfer schools and some of them cried on my last day and hugged me because I was the only teacher who ever challenged them and treated them the way they were looking to be treated.

It seems like it would be cool as hell to be the one to introduce a clever kid to philosophy’s greatest hits, like you’d be the one to ask them how they know they’re awake and not dreaming, or how they’d solve the liar’s paradox. It would be so much fun to see someone work that stuff through for the first time and to give you credit for the pleasure of it.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i decided to pursue teaching as a depressed 19 year old and now as a depressed and suicidal 30something the probability that i'll be gunned down by a nazi while protecting the offspring of people who think i'm a satanic groomer is actually one of the bigger perks.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Strategic Tea posted:

Teaching is great but being a child is a god forsaken hellhole that drives literally everyone crazy.

To be fair most people I know say childhood was the best time of their life and only half wistfully

gently caress that, college was the best time of my life, largely for things touched on itt when talk turned to bad parents.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I AM GRANDO posted:

It seems like it would be cool as hell to be the one to introduce a clever kid to philosophy’s greatest hits, like you’d be the one to ask them how they know they’re awake and not dreaming, or how they’d solve the liar’s paradox. It would be so much fun to see someone work that stuff through for the first time and to give you credit for the pleasure of it.

They were like 12-13 years old but they were all smarter than their own parents, and probably the vast majority of adults altogether. A few of them were taking high school level math and science and were basically bound for Ivy League schools in the USA.

You're probably head it said that really young kids love things like dinosaurs and robots and fire trucks and stuff like that, because they lack power, and those things all seem powerful to them. It was the same way with these kids except mentally. They all lacked real world experience and power to decide things for themselves, so the way to keep them interested was to challenge them on extremely high level adult topics like the ethics of money, power, conflict, and class and give them the ability to have their own voice. We once spent an entire hour talking about Sydney Carton's sacrifice in the end of A Tale of Two Cities and on a larger scale the morality of crime and punishment. And keep in mind, these kids were all doing this in a second language. They were extremely passionately defending their ideas and it was fun as hell to lead the discussion because all of them had different views on it.

It was always a game of me attacking and them defending. I miss those kids, I hope they grew up normal. I tried to impress on the incoming teacher that they needed this kind of teaching but I have no idea what happened after I left. The heads of the school were absolutely insane narcissists and I had to get out of there.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Toxic Mental posted:

They were like 12-13 years old but they were all smarter than their own parents, and probably the vast majority of adults altogether. A few of them were taking high school level math and science and were basically bound for Ivy League schools in the USA.

You're probably head it said that really young kids love things like dinosaurs and robots and fire trucks and stuff like that, because they lack power, and those things all seem powerful to them. It was the same way with these kids except mentally. They all lacked real world experience and power to decide things for themselves, so the way to keep them interested was to challenge them on extremely high level adult topics like the ethics of money, power, conflict, and class and give them the ability to have their own voice. We once spent an entire hour talking about Sydney Carton's sacrifice in the end of A Tale of Two Cities and on a larger scale the morality of crime and punishment. And keep in mind, these kids were all doing this in a second language. They were extremely passionately defending their ideas and it was fun as hell to lead the discussion because all of them had different views on it.

It was always a game of me attacking and them defending. I miss those kids, I hope they grew up normal. I tried to impress on the incoming teacher that they needed this kind of teaching but I have no idea what happened after I left. The heads of the school were absolutely insane narcissists and I had to get out of there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X81np_9QlE&t=94s

lol. I'm just messing. Sounds like an awesome experience. I'm sure they're doing well, and will remember you forever.

I never had any real good teachable moments that I can recall. But I had a major crush on my 2nd grade teacher.

Oh. and in 9th grade, I took keyboarding! And I was playing all sorts of MUDs, so I could type like a bandit. The teacher made everyone be quiet while listening to me type (embarrassing), especially because this was back when like every keyboard was mechanical.

.. I remember sleeping / putting my head down through a lot of classes, but I could answer whatever BS they felt like asking cause I was sort of paying attention. ... Or, due to my lovely grades my dad used to make me read chapters and write summaries, like weeks ahead of the actual class.
what a dick. He also made me carry every single book, and notebook, everyday. Because punishment, I guess? I never even opened a locker in highschool.

My mom is a Head Start teacher, and my sister is a Private School principal. So mad respect to all teachers out there. My retired Marine BIL taught at my sister's school, 7th grade. For one year and he said he barely made it through because the kids were obnoxious as poo poo. lol (Florida, sad lol)

blight rhino fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 30, 2023

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Schweinhund posted:

lol actually

lmao even

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I teach high school, so I might as well share my experiences. It's a rewarding but overwhelmingly exhausting job. You have to be hyperaware for long stretches of time. My school has nearly 2-hour block periods, so I've got to make sure that my kiddos are on task, not vandalizing my classroom, getting the help they need, not setting things on fire (which I've had students do since I teach science). You also have to prep labs, clean them up, create, adapt, and evaluate lesson plans, grade assignments, answer student or parent emails, work with your department and PLC group after school, and more if you end up serving as a club advisor. All of these things can be exacerbated by having one or more of the following difficult stakeholders: students, parents, coworkers, or administration.

Those last two are the big ones. I have a pretty good set of coworkers in my department. I had decent administration when I started, but we got a new set of admins and let me tell you: a bad principal can really gently caress your school up. Our current one is a micromanager who likes having control over things, wants you to kiss their rear end, and is incredibly petty. We have lost good teachers because of them, and the entire school morale just cratered. Going to work is really hard when you have someone like that who will randomly stop into your classroom, not say hi and just stand in the back with arms akimbo, and walk out without a word. Having middle management come in and observe you is a natural part of work, but it's different when you are wrangling 30+ students who each have very different self-regulating skills. That's especially stressful when you are on a temporary contract and hoping to get probationary status or tenured, and it was my living hell for the last academic year.

People say we get the summer off. Yes and no. We certainly don't get paid during the summer, unless you work summer school. I haven't been able to bring myself to do that because I NEED that time because I feel like I work non-stop during the schoolyear. I have been so mentally, physically, and emotionally exhausted. I have nothing left to give, to students or myself. It's the profession I chose, and I like doing it, but it is not an easy job.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Strict teachers gave me a disdain for authority that's lasted my whole life.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

super sweet best pal posted:

How can you have any pudding if you don’t eat your meat?

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

super sweet best pal posted:

this is my other favorite part of teaching: because everyone has been taught, they ALL have an opinion about the profession, and it's usually negative because one bad teacher will stink through the whole bag and ruin 12 years of otherwise adequate instruction.

super sweet best pal, sorry for holding you up like an object lesson, there's a lot of folk in your shoes. at least part of the conservative pushback against education is lingering trauma from terrible educators, so you're not wrong for feeling this way. i don't have a solution when the whole career is now so beat down upon that most of the folks pursuing it are doing so for deeply hosed reasons.

even a decade ago i was the only male teacher in my program not pursuing PE and trying to sleep with teenagers. it's been hosed for A While.

Plan R
Oct 5, 2021

For Romeo
I told my kindergarten teacher, Mrs. Maley, that if she didn't treat me better I wasn't coming back. She never forgot that.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Do kids still play with matches?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Do kids still play with matches?

They've moved on to that thing where you try to stab a knife in between your fingers.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
That's a gateway to rolling barrel hoops.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Grape posted:

What sort of district are you in, also what subject.

30000-50000 kids, California.

Physics, Engineering

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Bogus Adventure posted:

I teach high school, so I might as well share my experiences. It's a rewarding but overwhelmingly exhausting job. You have to be hyperaware for long stretches of time. My school has nearly 2-hour block periods, so I've got to make sure that my kiddos are on task, not vandalizing my classroom, getting the help they need, not setting things on fire (which I've had students do since I teach science).

This is why I like teaching, because I have brutal ADD and my brain demands stimulation.

Put my in a cubicle with a stack of papers for 8 hours and I will go insane.

Teaching is hard, but its certainly not boring.

I can’t think of any other jobs where you have to be on the lookout for one of your clients possibly setting a fire at any moment lol

spunkshui fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jul 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

The Moon Monster posted:

They've moved on to that thing where you try to stab a knife in between your fingers.

Lol, I had friends who did this in middle school