Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

You hear about how it sucks a lot now in general but I was on the r/teachers subreddit recently and they make it sound like literal hell. It seems like a majority of the people there are suffering from clinical depression if they haven’t given up and left the field already

What say you, teacher goons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prescott
May 16, 2023

I’m reading the Bible so I can teach the zombies about Heaven.

pencilhands posted:

I was on the r/teachers subreddit
Oh? You were on one of those five extremely negative subreddits my virgin Reddit App keeps sending me notifications about?

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

deal with lovely kids all day and maybe even be shot by one while not being paid as much as one of those kids is probably making for streaming fortnite

Seems fine

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

teaching is a rewarding and fulfilling profession and they have a powerful union and make a grip for only working basically 9 months out of the year. sounds ftw to me

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

american teachers have a different experience i've heard, however

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I'm not a teacher but I looked into it recently and one thing I can say is that the economy has fallen apart so incredibly bad that outside of sales, engineering, or software development, teaching is one of the best careers to start out in right now pay-wise because it has guaranteed raise structures that mean you get a higher salary with tenure and further education. Starting pay for a teacher is comparable to or higher than most entry-level jobs and guarantees a bump of like $20k in my state over 8 years (and getting a masters). You'll never get rich doing it but it's one of the only career tracks in my major city that guarantees you'll get paid enough to rent a studio apartment after 8 years.

But every single teacher I know has spoken about it with abject horror ever since 2020 and every one of them is looking for a way out, even an old career teacher who did it for 40 years and used to love it. But I don't know a ton of teachers so that's anecdotal evidence based on 4 people.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:50 on May 25, 2023

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Depends where you teach but you deal with lovely kids lashing out at you and their shittier parents all day.

Discipline is so weird right now that you can have a raging drunk 16 year old and no one can touch them so you just patiently walk by them to try and lead them to an exit while you wait for School PD that will give them a stern talking to.

And all that is before FOX news says you want to gently caress all the kids and teach them to be gay communists because you want them to read about, like, Anne Frank.

The profession saw a *huge* exodus of teachers and site administrators into district or out of school positions because the kids who came back from Covid had just zero idea how to work in a social setting with behavioral expectations and restrictions. poo poo like straight up taking phone calls during class or not understanding why they had to show up more than twice a month in order to pass a class.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 02:20 on May 25, 2023

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

the best teachers i've had could have gone into a career making triple what they're currently making instead of being crammed into a 40-kid "temp class" doublewide trailor in a converted parking lot and getting yelled at by helicopter parents all day so it's definitely a labor of love

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Mr.Acula posted:

deal with lovely kids all day and maybe even be shot by one while not being paid as much as one of those kids is probably making for streaming fortnite

Seems fine

lmao

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Dollar store CameronisGod up in here

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Yea dude it loving sucks but people on reddit are like, different, ya know?

Anyway want to know about my student who started off the year with A's who now gets F's ever since his dad got sent to jail for a double murder, gang related, or do you want to talk about my student last year who OD'd in my classroom and was having seizures in my classroom?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Smugworth posted:

Dollar store CameronisGod up in here

Waiting for someone from the UK to start posting mediocre threads so we can have a Poundland so-and-so

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

posting in pencilhands thread
GBS 2023

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

My sister in law had to teach kindergarten over Zoom. And didn’t get a raise that year because she wasn’t “effective”. You have to have a heart for it because I would have dropkicked that principal.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

the kids are never the problem--it's every square loving inch of red tape. every little thing you do is scrutinized and picked apart and anything you want to do has to pass through unending channels. got the gently caress out of that career fast to instead live as an unemployed bum

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

I was a teacher for like 8 years and just straight up gave up because kids are horrible these days and they are unable to function without the constant dopamine hits that isntagram and tiktok gives them

I had a few students that I had actual real life Dead Poets Society/Breakfast Club/Good Will Hunting "It's Not Your Fault" moments with but even still I don't regret quitting

Toxic Mental fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 25, 2023

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Grem posted:

Anyway want to know about my student who started off the year with A's who now gets F's ever since his dad got sent to jail for a double murder, gang related, or do you want to talk about my student last year who OD'd in my classroom and was having seizures in my classroom?

If this turns to a "Teacher's stories about childhood trauma" I'm all for it.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
you can teach a man to fish but you can't make it drink

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I assisted teaching for a year and got sick so often that I was over-prescribed antibiotics and it wiped out my gut flora and I couldn't poop right for years.

So weren't great.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

How much money it would take to get me to be a teacher in TYOOL 2023. I’m thinking 7 figure salary.

Sophy Wackles fucked around with this message at 06:09 on May 25, 2023

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Grem posted:

well, that doesn't sound uplifting at all

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
They get the whole summer off. Cry me a river.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

A crippling internet obsession is a good first step to a career in teaching, nothing a bored teen can come up with in a school day is even close to the abuse you'll get for twitting how you didn't personally care for the newest superhero film.

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009
Haven't seen an original, name-brand Wizard Master thread for a while.

Think OP might've taken my advice and assassinated him.

Good for you, OP.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Grem posted:

I could add to this pile too: a student that I'm 99% sure suffered from symptoms of psychosis, and I'll never know because the parents believed God was speaking through them and wouldn't get the kid treatment. One who left class to smoke weed, likely to deal with how he felt about their father being killed a few years back. Another who's estranged father abducted and murdered their mother in a fit of jealousy. And the inevitable, inexorable march of kids to the office time and again after pictures sent in confidence no longer remain that way.

Szyznyk posted:

My sister in law had to teach kindergarten over Zoom. And didn’t get a raise that year because she wasn’t “effective”. You have to have a heart for it because I would have dropkicked that principal.

August 2020 and we were in a Zoom faculty meeting in preparation for a return to hybrid learning for the parents that wanted it. We were just happy to have made it that far and were ready for another school year. We weren't ready for the principal to launch a bitch fit about how our middle school students had dropped one letter grade and our elementary school students had dropped two letter grades. "Don't mess with my scores," I believe she said. That was the planting of the seed, the beginning of the end for me.

I quit in January after 14 years of teaching. I loved the kids but the work was untenable. My salary as a teacher hadn't changed in 10 years. I had constant outbreaks of dishydrotic eczema from the stress. Just shy of 4 months into my new job, I was given a 4% raise for the work I'd done.

The way we handle education in this country is absolutely deliberate.

ElectricSheep fucked around with this message at 12:23 on May 25, 2023

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

ElectricSheep posted:

I could add to this pile too: a student that I'm 99% sure suffered from symptoms of psychosis, and I'll never know because the parents believed God was speaking through them and wouldn't get the kid treatment. One who left class to smoke weed, likely to deal with how he felt about their father being killed a few years back. Another who's estranged father abducted and murdered their mother in a fit of jealousy. And the inevitable, inexorable march of kids to the office time and again after pictures sent in confidence no longer remain that way.

August 2020 and we were in a Zoom faculty meeting in preparation for a return to hybrid learning for the parents that wanted it. We were just happy to have made it that far and were ready for another school year. We weren't ready for the principal to launch a bitch fit about how our middle school students had dropped one letter grade and our elementary school students had dropped two letter grades. "Don't mess with my scores," I believe she said. That was the planting of the seed, the beginning of the end for me.

I quit in January after 14 years of teaching. I loved the kids but the work was untenable. My salary as a teacher hadn't changed in 10 years. I had constant outbreaks of dishydrotic eczema from the stress. Just shy of 4 months into my new job, I was given a 4% raise for the work I'd done.

The way we handle education in this country is absolutely deliberate.

Holy poo poo no raise in 10 YEARS?

wtf????

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

Pay is pretty drat good in the Netherlands. Experienced, university schooled teachers can get over €5000 a month, which is a lot.

Covid kids are incredibly badly socialized, having been used to multiple years of sitting at home with their laptop in front of them, while goofing off on their phones just out of view, in their first years of puberty that are pretty critical for teaching a child boundaries and proper behavior in classroom settings.
It's frustrating. If a kid doesn't want to change, they won't. There's not a whole lot you can do about it, except send them out of your classroom. But if a quarter of your students is like that, you can't realistically send a quarter of the room away to gently caress off in the hallways.

Red tape is everywhere, because A. kids do everything to pass so they'll grasp at formalities to pass and B. some particularly authoritarian school staff likes to express their power by screwing over kids, which leads to red tape to protect the kids from Cartman-esque 'RESPECT MAH AUTHORITAH' deans and teachers.

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm
Let's see when I went to work for a school as a chemistry teacher in the American south the starting pay was 30k, I turned that down for a job receiving packages in a laboratory. Best choice I ever made.

Edit: the first raise did indeed come after I think five or ten years, whatever was just after the typical burnout amount of years for the average teacher

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

How much does a lab package handler make anyway?

cinnamon rollout
Jun 12, 2001

The early bird gets the worm

By popular demand posted:

How much does a lab package handler make anyway?

30k roughly, but I got a raise every year, the hours were better and the work was super easy.
None of that even includes the potential for promotion which happened pretty quick to regular old (chromatography) chemist
Basically better than being a teacher in every way which is sad because I genuinely did want to teach and was looking forward to it for a brief time

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Knot My President! posted:

the best teachers i've had could have gone into a career making triple what they're currently making instead of being crammed into a 40-kid "temp class" doublewide trailor in a converted parking lot and getting yelled at by helicopter parents all day so it's definitely a labor of love
This is one of those things that sounds right but you're assuming all teaching skills are transitive and/or that people in "real" careers enjoy collaborating with someone who has a teacher's skillset in their work environment (they don't).

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

By now I've concluded that the only thing that could change the American education system is every single teacher starting the class on Communism 101 - Lesson 1: How the rich have doomed your generation to a life of miserable poverty.

Lesson #2 is The Armed Forces and how they exploit the poor in the benefit of Big Oil.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
In my first year. It’s a lot of work. The students that clearly have a poo poo attitude about things and then make it out like it’s your fault can get annoying.

The worst is the parents. I’ve gotten some bizarre confrontations where I question what the heck they think education should be.

Overall though, it’s cool when you see students actually engage and learn things. So I like it. It also helps that I’m not dirt poor from working retail.

JetSetGo
Jan 1, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I watched three first year teachers all flame out right before lockdown. The Chinese language team quit because they were never given a classroom from the start until literally two weeks before lockdown happened. Another was one who helped tutor struggling kids who left fast as poo poo saying he was going back to work as some sort of analyst for forests or something.

The principal wanted me to give my personal phone number out for the entire school's parents to do remote tech assistance. Needless to say she was out of her goddamn mind. Also hilarious is I got the school to spend $2k on parts to repair computers just to release me, then dump all the old computers. Now they're sitting on lots and lots of random poo poo they can't even use though they paid for it.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

lol this dipshit reads reddit

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

Schweinhund posted:

They get the whole summer off. Cry me a river.

lol they have the whole summer to work lovely low paying jobs to supplement their terrible pay.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

pencilhands posted:

Holy poo poo no raise in 10 YEARS?

wtf????

Florida

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i have a couple friends who are high school teachers in different parts of the country and the impression i get from both is that most of the stress with "teaching these days" comes from dealing with parents far more than dealing with kids. especially anything to do with college prep/admissions.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Earwicker posted:

i have a couple friends who are high school teachers in different parts of the country and the impression i get from both is that most of the stress with "teaching these days" comes from dealing with parents far more than dealing with kids. especially anything to do with college prep/admissions.

from the other side of higher ed, absolutely, parents are the worst part of teaching up until grad school.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Had two kids cheat on the final and admit it.

One Mom wanted me to write another final because if her child hadn’t cheated he would have done better then a zero.

I had to have a loving sit down in the office to get them to stop contacting me over this unreasonable request.

Apparently, if you are the one providing answers, you shouldn’t be punished according to mom.