Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i've gotten to the point where i'll sometimes just leave the windows fully down. gently caress it. nobody's gonna take the time to steal a 25 year old buick lol

If it has the 3.8 I may steal it for a LeMons car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Mr.Acula posted:

It depends what i leave in the vehicle and how long i will be op

yeah I thought that about a baseline no-tach manual 99' white orkin ranger until someone cored the ignition out for jumpers and didn't even look at the $300 headphones on the passenger seat

wasn't the poo poo inside the car they wanted, that was secondary

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Jun 6, 2023

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

If you use the A/C your gas mileage goes down 1500%

AC will actually trash your gas mileage in start/stop city driving in combustion only gas cars

especially if you've got a car with the older AC designs that run steady regardless of engine rpm (the ones that don't suddenly work shittier at stoplights. with those in start/stop traffic 30-40%+ of your fuel can go to just running HVAC)

they add quite a lot of parasitic loss to the engine in its already least efficient states (low rpm & light throttle)

at idle engines generate power really inefficiently. it can take about as much fuel to just run the AC as the engine itself (hardly any fuels used @ idle but it's a huge drain while going from idle up to 1700+ where most engines are efficient )

if you wait until you're moving to turn it on it makes a noticeable diff in fuel use

not worth being obsessive over & switching it on and off constantly isn't good either but anything from about 2010 and earlier it does make a difference

you can get a sense for how much power yr ac pulls by going up a hill at 25-35, with the rpm steady, and turn the AC onto full blast without moving the throttle at all - going uphill makes the extra load more obvious.

The lower the engine RPM, the higher the relative load from the AC and the more you'll have to push down on the throttle to keep the engine at the same speed, if you do it at 3k+ it probably won't be v. noticeable, at 1-2k itll probably makes your engine feel like it just lost 10-20% of its power output, because it did (unless it makes a lot of power & has good lowend torque, like you won't notice much in a Corvette or w/e)

far less of a thing in newer cars though & obv not for hybrid/electric but in old cars the AC is pretty much an engine sabotage device that makes you not sweaty as a byproduct

FirstnameLastname fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jun 6, 2023

Lorthdon
Feb 20, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i've gotten to the point where i'll sometimes just leave the windows fully down. gently caress it. nobody's gonna take the time to steal a 25 year old buick lol

I know someone that recently had their 90s Chevy Lumina stolen but this was in Portland so nothing is safe.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
This made me think of the oldtimey practice of opening your house windows when a tornado was coming to "keep it from exploding."

(Tornado does not give a gently caress, your house gonna get wrecked either way. Probably worse if you opened the windows.)

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

my motorcycle doesnt even have windows

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

numberoneposter posted:

Soon your body will

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

Mr.Acula posted:

It depends what i leave in the vehicle and how long i will be op

and the weather in my area. there's factors at play but I definitely have leave them cracked at times.

also for the record, none of the times my car has been stolen have the windows been open at all.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

nvm

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

MrQwerty posted:

lol gently caress no I live in the hood

:respek:

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

somebody told me if you drive with all the windows down then your back window will blow out

so idk seems like messing with the windows at all seems dangerous :eek:

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

somebody told me if you drive with all the windows down then your back window will blow out

this makes sense because it's just like if you open all the windows on one side of your house, all of the windows on the other side of the house will blow out, due to the fact that the earth is moving at 67,000 miles per hour

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

i got too much CRACK in my rear end already op I don’t need more in my windows tks

Passive Aggreeable
May 23, 2009

"Either way, it's going to hurt like crazy."

numberoneposter posted:

cant you crack shoei visors

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

I don't even let my children know what windows are

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

Private Cumshoe posted:

I don't even let my children know what windows are

drat u raising linux users

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
No, I use preconditioning so I don’t have to get into a car that is slightly less hot than the windows cracked.

Are you even allowed to crack the windows on cars these day, I tried a few times on my last BMW when I had it detailed or something and the alarm would go off because of an interior pressure sensor.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

Samuel L. ACKSYN posted:

i bet that happened in older cars with lovely flat paned windows in specific weird conditions in a crosswind or something, like how some cars will buffet your eardrums apart if you only roll down the rear windows

there's Audis from the 80s/90s that'll blow out the sunroof seal if two people slam the door at the same time from opposite sides

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Neither of my bicycles have windows, so no.

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Seth Pecksniff posted:

I thought it was just my mom who told me that

Glad to know there's others out there

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Sunglasses are windows for your eyeballs.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Is it cold? No.
Is it rainy? No.
Is it sunny and hot without a chance of rain and am I going to be gone a while? Then probably, yes I would crack the windows.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Lorthdon posted:

I know someone that recently had their 90s Chevy Lumina stolen but this was in Portland so nothing is safe.

alls i can say is if they were desperate enough to steal a 90s lumina they must have needed it very badly

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Szyznyk posted:

If it has the 3.8 I may steal it for a LeMons car.

i got unlucky and my 3.8 is not doing so well these days, won't hold oil pressure for poo poo :( that said i've had a good run w/ the big grandpa car, think i'm gonna go for something smaller. got my eye on a 96 celica convertible.

Genesplicer
Oct 19, 2002

I give your invention the worst grade imaginable: An A-minus-minus!

Total Clam
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
My mum always does this. I think it's an old person thing from when seat coverings or what ever could overheat (that is her explanation)?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

verbal enema posted:

No because someone might take my dog

Lol :drat:

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
If it's really hot leave them cracked about 1/2", works best on 4 door cars of course. You can park in the shade if possible which also helps, although if you park under a tree you run the risk of bird poo poo. You can also put a collapsible window screen in the windshield. If you combine the window screen and cracking the windows your car will be much cooler in extreme heat conditions. Theft should be a non-issue because you need to be a wizard to reach the unlock button with a wire hanger through cracked windows.

If you have A/C and you want it to last, use it all the time. What kills A/C is disuse, the gaskets dry out and the refrigerant escapes. Your mileage does take a hit when you use it, the pulley that powers the A/C is on the serpentine belt that powers the radiator fan so this saps some engine power.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

erosion posted:

Theft should be a non-issue because you need to be a wizard to reach the unlock button with a wire hanger through cracked windows.

Lmao, such a sweet kid

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Lmao, such a sweet kid

It's possible, I'll admit. Don't keep things in your car you don't want stolen. At the very least, never leave something of value visible. Cars made in the last 20 years or so have an ignition lockout that requires proximity to a chip embedded in the key, so hotwiring should not be a concern. If you do have a 90's or earlier car, don't crack your loving windows I guess.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Passive Aggreeable posted:

cant you crack shoei visors

If you sneeze with your eyes open on a motorcycle, your helmet will launch straight off your head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I drive a 2012 Sonata just like the ones that don't have immobilizers except mine does because it's push-to-start so my first move when I park anywhere is to roll all the windows all the way down so they can skip it and look for a softer target without breaking the glass first

Also it idles at 600 RPM which doesn't make enough current for the alternator to keep up with the AC (compressor is electric, not on the belt) so I have actually killed the battery by waiting in line at the drive-thru for too long

Jesus I hate this child labor piece of poo poo drat kids can't build anything right

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 8, 2023