Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I was raised to always leave the windows down a little when it got really hot outside or else all the windows in the vehicle would explode from the rising pressure inside.

Since I've never seen this happen once in my life I'm beginning to think that it is bullshit and just a good way of getting your car stolen.

Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

lol gently caress no I live in the hood

I do use a sunshade tho

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
I thought it was just my mom who told me that

Glad to know there's others out there

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Vakal posted:

I was raised to always leave the windows down a little when it got really hot outside or else all the windows in the vehicle would explode from the rising pressure inside.

:dafuq:

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
I crack mine if I'm parked int he sun in the summer but not because I thought it would make my windows explode. LOL

It helps with the heat a little bit.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Seth Pecksniff posted:

My mom was also adamant about turning off the air condition before the end of a long drive to let your body get warmed up again before getting out of the car so you didn't have a heart attack or something from shock.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Too many mosquitoes in the warm months where I live.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

100% DOG LOVER
ALL DOGS LOVED, ALL THE TIME

lol this.

i do but it's to keep the car at ambient air.temp not to keep it from going overpressure and blowing up like a bottle of beer in the fridge or something lol wtf

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

why are boomers like this lmfao.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Seth Pecksniff posted:

My mom told me this also

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Peggy Edson posted:

because one got their windshield replaced and told to crack the windows so the seal didn't blow out while it cured and it turned into "your windows will explode if you don't keep them cracked"

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

got me 50 ounces out a bird in this bitch

MrQwerty posted:

because one got their windshield replaced and told to crack the windows so the seal didn't blow out while it cured and it turned into "your windows will explode if you don't keep them cracked"

yep

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Peggy Edson posted:

Everything can and will kill you, except for drinking from the hose. That's good for you.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

MrQwerty posted:

lol gently caress no I live in the hood

The ol’ coat hanger on the door lock knob.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

[for like 70 years straight] ALL CAR MANUFACTURERS: Should we make our products windows not explode when left in their default position? No lol

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

i hear the hardest part of designing the F-22 was making sure the canopy didn't suddenly violently explode from pressure when crossing the intl date line

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Szyznyk posted:

The ol’ coat hanger on the door lock knob.

I drive a 90's ford, can't even do that, I just don't want some crackhead to wander by and leverage something in and break a window all easy to steal... jumper cables and a registration, emissions test and insurance card?

poo poo last time this car got broken into, which was at work in the rich part of town, dude went into the (already broken from a previous attempt before I bought the car) driver's door cylinder and rocked it until it popped the lock with a screwdriver, then promptly jammed a screwdriver into the ignition, cored out the cylinder and stole my jumper cables after he realized the car was permanently immobilized. Didn't even realize there were a pair of Momentum 3 headphones sitting on the passenger seat. It was all on video lol, his buddy tried to leave him at one point.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 6, 2023

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
No because someone might take my dog

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
I used to have a 4runner when I lived in The OC. The back window will slide up and down, so I used to leave it cracked and sunroof cracked and it was always nice and airy and cool inside.

Didn't think rainwhen I moved to the east coast, because as a native Californian, rain in the summer is a myth. First night there, I wake up to a thunderstorm in the middle of the night. In the five minutes it took for me to get to the truck, it was completely soaked.

So no OP I dont leave the windows cracked during summer anymore. The risk :stare:

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I always drive everywhere with my windows down my car is very dusty inside oh well

All the way shut when parked

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Vampire Panties posted:

I used to have a 4runner when I lived in The OC. The back window will slide up and down, so I used to leave it cracked and sunroof cracked and it was always nice and airy and cool inside.

Didn't think rainwhen I moved to the east coast, because as a native Californian, rain in the summer is a myth. First night there, I wake up to a thunderstorm in the middle of the night. In the five minutes it took for me to get to the truck, it was completely soaked.

So no OP I dont leave the windows cracked during summer anymore. The risk :stare:

yeah New Mexico weather changes fast, too, that's definitely another reason I keep my windows up. Especially if you're in the mountains, even if it's not raining on you 3 miles from your car while you're sitting in a hotspring, who knows if it just poured from that cloud that looked like it was pouring on your car. Seen plenty of that poo poo.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

doors up baby

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

No, op. If I crack my windows in the summer, by winter the cracks will have likely spread and replacing all the windows would be costly.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004
i like to crack it a little so all of my small children and dogs can get some fresh air

nut
Jul 30, 2019

all or nothing op

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
You think I’m leaving my windows open to let a bunch of wasps in?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
No, op, in case it rains.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

like most modern vehicles, my car is a sealed sarcophagus with video displays instead of antiquated glass windows

last time i saw someone in a car with actual windows, their horse threw a shoe and they slammed their straw hat to the road and stomped it with great vexation

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jun 6, 2023

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I only travel virtually using my Apple AR goggles op

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Peggy Edson posted:

Don’t flash your headlights at a passing car with theirs off because it’s a gang initiation thing and they’ll turn right around and kill you!!!!! :derp:

But seriously, I live in Arizona. We got June bugs and palo verde beetles and killer bees and cicadas and all kinds of other flying insects I don’t want to surprise me when I get into my vehicle. Windows up.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

My car exploded from rolled up windows.

You were too slow OP :(

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
If you use the A/C your gas mileage goes down 1500%

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

i knew a hick at Lake Washington Tech who drove a 95 Ford Ranger that had lambo door

not doors, only driver's side because "i don't care about the people riding with me looking cool, just me"

i still hold an intense amount of respect for that guy

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

They wont let me open the windows on the bus

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Y’all ever see the underwater monster movie DeepStar Six? Miguel Ferrer jumps into a deep sea escape pod and rapidly ascents to the ocean’s surface while slowly suffering uncontrolled decompression before bursting from rising too fast.

And that’s what’ll happen to you if you don’t crack the windows on your car. :colbert:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

e: posted instead of editing, this is what i get for tying to post on my phone during work meetings. i should wait until i'm driving home.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
Real "leaving a fan on sucks all the oxygen out of the room" energy

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yes op i always leave my windows down in case any nearby bugs or rats want a ride or just a nice place to chill for a while, or in case any passers by are bored and want to go through my glove box or look at my sand collection

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i've gotten to the point where i'll sometimes just leave the windows fully down. gently caress it. nobody's gonna take the time to steal a 25 year old buick lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

It depends what i leave in the vehicle and how long i will be op