Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

nice obelisk idiot posted:

e: drat this thread is old nvm

no it's not just post my judoka

Thank you Trash Mammal. Welcome to dog world b*tch*s

THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY journeyman SIGSMITH Luvcow

https://i.imgur.com/EebjYYe.mp4
THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY MASTER SIGSMITH Literally A Person

Official height endorsed by a medical professional: 5'11.5"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

olylifter posted:

Judo is the only martial art that uses the planet as a weapon

also Helio Gracie rebranded newaza as BJJ and he, his children and their offspring are insufferable assholes of the highest order

Carlson jr, Carley, and ralston all are pretty chill

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost
he aready beat you.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
How much Mtn Dew or Yoo-Hoo is required to compete at a professional level? I haven't started training, or like, lessons, but I'm keen to get my Judo-Kudos so I've been drinking both a lot.

Is there anything else I should be training with? Like, do some snap kicks in public to let everyone know I am gonna be a great competitor?

I got told by someone that snapkicks weren't even a proper thing but they didn't know poo poo and I told them they were a fake poser Judo player. Then they choked me out, but jokes on them, I ended up drooling on the shirt, so now who looks like the idiot? :smug:

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Into the Breach is a game not about Judo but where you can Judo some Kaiju in a mech from an alternate universe

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://youtu.be/ahY7A0zDkeU?si=QMUMzZ7X6wG6PlpC

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

SilvergunSuperman posted:

Is judo the lamest martial art?

I've always thought so, if you disagree what's gonn happen, I'll get tripped?

i would trip you and then start complaining about the referee before you’d even hit the ground

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Slam Pajamas posted:

Serious semi-related question: Does anybody else think of "Blow Job Junction" when they read BJJ?

All I'm saying is that I love BJJ.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
Didn't Blow Job Junction and Wrestlehut merge into one subforum a while back?

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Blow Job Jitsu

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

looks like smuggles has abandoned his judokas. not surprised.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
judo HOP!!

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

looks like smuggles has abandoned his judokas. not surprised.

Judokas. Now is the time. ATTACK!!! Defend your sensi!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i heard smugworth's black belt in judo is just a white belt covered in electrical tape that he bought himself

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

kntfkr posted:

i heard smugworth's black belt in judo is just a white belt covered in electrical tape that he bought himself

I heard ur mom's a bit ch rear end in a top hat

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
i always forget how crass white belts are

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
BJJ is just Judo only they re-named all the moves after dudes they knew.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Mozi posted:

judo HOP!!

Isn't that the main character in zootopia?

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Smugworth posted:

I heard ur mom's a bit ch rear end in a top hat

ippon

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Grey Cat posted:

Isn't that the main character in zootopia?

i don't know but it should be probably

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

kntfkr posted:

i always forget how crass white belts are

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
step aside bjjitches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL8gSsWk6ck

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
You see Florida is going after mixed martial arts? DeSantis says martial arts belong with their own kind.

Stunt-Puffin
May 19, 2023

I want to be an X-Arm champion when I grow up and my mom signed me up for judo lessons at the YMCA. Want to see how many jumping jacks I can do?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Stunt-Puffin posted:

I want to be an X-Arm champion when I grow up and my mom signed me up for judo lessons at the YMCA. Want to see how many jumping jacks I can do?

Yes

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
What about Tae Bo

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I haven't done martial arts since January 2020. I JUST got back into kickboxing and BJJ after a year or so absence and ended up getting sick from someone there. Minor flu I figured. Then uh.... poo poo went downhill fast as everyone knows and I figured I should just not go back so someone doesn't drip covid sweat into my open mouth.

I kinda want to go back but I'm viciously hard on myself so it's a serious mental drain and it's $170 a month for regular people. For some reason they kinda work with me because they know I have issues and am inconsistent and unreliable so they give me a discount. Jen Rothwell, Ben Rothwell's wife, is very nice to me and understanding. poo poo it's been 4 years since I went there. I should just check it out again sometime. Go in and sit and watch a class or two.

Stunt-Puffin
May 19, 2023

76 so far! Now watch how high I can kick!

*whiff*

:-D

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

maybeadracula posted:

What about Tae Bo

I ain't no tae bo ho

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I still know The Forms. It's been over 20 years.

Stunt-Puffin
May 19, 2023

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I kinda want to go back but I'm viciously hard on myself so it's a serious mental drain
Sensei Randall says not to let a pushy ego kill your joy. He says be on the lookout for self-depreciating thoughts, acknowledge them when you have them, and then, once you're ready, let them go to focus on the parts of the sport that make you happy.

Pennywise the Frown posted:

and it's $170 a month for regular people.
Oof. Does that put you in the black belt club and get you a birthday party with ice cream cake?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Stunt-Puffin posted:

Oof. Does that put you in the black belt club and get you a birthday party with ice cream cake?

Unfortunately no. There is another place not far from Rothwell that is BJJ only and is like $145 a month. The rest is traditional martial arts and are heavily geared towards children.

After the 80s, martial arts became extremely expensive and just keeps going up. Even the once a week classes at the YMCA are ridiculous. When I was in TKD in the mid 90s as a young teen, I saw the place go from a mall dojo to a permanent place and the owner (really really good Korean teacher, his dad taught the school until his 60s) would be showing up in full business suits all the time and spent 95% of the time in his office and had students teach the class. I don't know how much it was but I know that it was super expensive. There was literally a black belt club that I got into toward the end.

We were really good though.

MMA is nice because it works in reality.

Stunt-Puffin
May 19, 2023

Does anyone else remember the time Helio Gracie challenged Kimura to a fight? And when Kimura showed up the Brazilian fans brought out a coffin and threw eggs at him? And when Kimura got in the ring he mollywhomped the threatless Helio for 13 minutes, slamming him five times before realizing the mat was too soft to kill him with? And when Kimura decided to stop slamming him and grab a choke he put Helio out then woke his rear end up before the ref saw so he could keep whoopin' him into another round? And then when that round started Kimura crushed Helio like a paper cup, again, and then finished the match decisively by breaking his arm with clean technique? But then after the match he realized he'd basically just massacred some delusional weeb and felt bad so he praised Helio's 'fighting spirit' to ease the humiliation? And once Helio heard that one compliment he spent the rest of his life pretending it was some huge moral victory that was just as good as actually winning the fight? And then for a couple of decades we all treated Helio's delusional spin as the obvious conclusion to be drawn from the fight?

Moral of the story: BJJ is a dumb cult. Train Judo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Stunt-Puffin posted:

Moral of the story: BJJ is a dumb cult. Train Judo.

Some people are very weird about BJJ, no doubt about that. But there's no judo near me. I check like every year.

I just wanna toss people. :(