Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

What's up Judo fans!
This is the Official GBS Judo Megathread, for all things Judo!
I hear Joe Rogan is pretty good at it. Maybe some of the other Judo super fans can enlighten me about how great this sport is. I'm not actually good at martial arts myself, but I do know Judo! Judon't know if I got a knife or a gun. :hehe:

Thank you Trash Mammal. Welcome to dog world b*tch*s

THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY journeyman SIGSMITH Luvcow

https://i.imgur.com/EebjYYe.mp4
THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY MASTER SIGSMITH Literally A Person

Official height endorsed by a medical professional: 5'11.5"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Anyone else just get tired of throwing stuff around sometimes?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

who would win, vladimir putin or steven seagal?

two of the best to ever put on the gi, but which is the GOAT?

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Bad Purchase posted:

Chuck loving Norris would whip both their asses

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

Bad Purchase posted:

Pathetic - trying to sneak Aikido in here??? Luckily I watch Youtube Shorts every day as I bathe and I've learned everything there is to know about each martial art and their respective masters. Try it somewhere else, pal...

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost

Bad Purchase posted:

even odds on which one would poo poo their pants first

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Judeez nuts op

Whoreson Welles
Mar 4, 2015

ON TO THE NEXT PAGE!
I love watcing fledgling GBS threads start off chaotic and then I come back in a week and it’s 40 pages about hyperfocused serious topic discussion.

Godspeed, Judo thread.

I like to jokingly say “Judy Chop!” to my 6 month old and lightly chop her on the top of the head and it makes her giggle welp that’s my contribution. See ya!

Bula Vinaka
Oct 21, 2020

beach side

Big Mouth Billy Basshole
Jun 18, 2007

Fun Shoe
I did judo for a bit. I didn't get too far, only a green belt and then hurt my back and stopped.

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

I'm a karate man, karate man bruise on the inside, but you don't know that because you a big Barry White lookin' motherfucker

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Shrink ray

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I’ve been asked not to return to the judo studio

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i was in a martial arts club in college and we did have days where we worked judo basics

however, the dojo was the basketball court at one of the campus rec centers, so i'm not sure if i should be posting about it here or in the basketball megathread that's also doing numbers in GBS right now

perhaps the mods could merge the threads, since i believe they are related for the reason outlined above?

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
I too enjoy ignoring 50% of the human body to own the Russians.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
* Tries to sell basically a yoga style as a contact martial art *

Wee fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 12, 2023

Shania Twain
Aug 25, 2008

ArbitraryTA posted:

I too enjoy ignoring 50% of the human body to own the Russians.

Banning leg picks, bear hugs before taking a grip, and whatever else can be borrowed from another sport is a good thing IMO for Judo and the other sports (wrestling and derivatives) because it differentiates them from one another and keeps them unique. It's analogous to nerfing an ability in DoTa or LoL, the meta just changes but doesn't make the game any worse.

Personally I enjoy learning a technique both ways, the original version, and the modernized version. It's not like you can't do a Kata Guruma without grabbing uke's leg. It gives versatility and helps with awareness to have restrictions to work around.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

judo CHOP

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

yesterday we watched Flea Market Flip, and American Judo medalist Kayla Harrison was on it

she lost to Nancy Kerrigan though. some champion

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

I prefer shorts with my gi, that’s why I’m a sambo man

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Judo is cool and good

Gorgeous Zan
Apr 13, 2007

New Haven Yacht Club
My favourite judo throw is the ol' razzle dazzle

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

Shania Twain posted:

Banning leg picks, bear hugs before taking a grip, and whatever else can be borrowed from another sport is a good thing IMO for Judo and the other sports (wrestling and derivatives) because it differentiates them from one another and keeps them unique. It's analogous to nerfing an ability in DoTa or LoL, the meta just changes but doesn't make the game any worse.

Personally I enjoy learning a technique both ways, the original version, and the modernized version. It's not like you can't do a Kata Guruma without grabbing uke's leg. It gives versatility and helps with awareness to have restrictions to work around.

Aside from safety considerations, trainee longevity et al I see absolutely no reason why a martial art, especially a grappling art, should limit the techniques shown arbitrarily simply to remain unique. Each cadre has its own specialties, but all you do is leave glaring holes in your overall game by fixating on a single ruleset.

If you are training for competition, sure, limit yourself to that ruleset. If you are learning to grapple and training the art as it was originally interpreted, it's no different than Brazilian Jiu Jitsu guys who make it to the upper belts but act like white belts when an experienced leg locker enters the picture.

It isn't as if Judoka stopped doing tani otoshi just because it's functionally the same thing as a valley drop, or removed tsurikomi goshi from the picture because it's also Sambo's Obratnaya Spina.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

Move aside and let the man go through, let the man go through

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I am in my late 30s, so I have been thinking of getting into some manner of old man sport.

With golf you get to dress like an rear end in a top hat and hit a ball with a club, however with judo you can wear a robe and get yelled at by a Brazilian man.

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Out of all the threads, I imagine this is the more difficult one to take down.

AndrewP posted:

yesterday we watched Flea Market Flip, and American Judo medalist Kayla Harrison was on it
The hype train stopped dead in its tracks there. Not too long ago, there was talk of a UFC opportunity. That unbeaten record had a serious amount of padding in it though.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

HAJIME

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

ArbitraryTA posted:

Aside from safety considerations, trainee longevity et al I see absolutely no reason why a martial art, especially a grappling art, should limit the techniques shown arbitrarily simply to remain unique. Each cadre has its own specialties, but all you do is leave glaring holes in your overall game by fixating on a single ruleset.

If you are training for competition, sure, limit yourself to that ruleset. If you are learning to grapple and training the art as it was originally interpreted, it's no different than Brazilian Jiu Jitsu guys who make it to the upper belts but act like white belts when an experienced leg locker enters the picture.

It isn't as if Judoka stopped doing tani otoshi just because it's functionally the same thing as a valley drop, or removed tsurikomi goshi from the picture because it's also Sambo's Obratnaya Spina.

Tani otoshi means valley drop.

Non-competition judo still gets taught. It's not as if the leg grabs were exiled from all instruction e.g. both of the technical katas contain stuff that would get you very quickly DQed in comp, and that's pretty much Core Canonical Judo.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

poo poo, gatame no kata contains stuff that could get you DQed in an IBJJF tournament at some levels.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Really happy to see how this thread has taken off and all the Judo Lurkers coming out to post in GBS :3:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i tried to watch judo but it looks so fake. easy to tell the guy being thrown is assisting the other person by jumping a little in the air.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
I competed nationally at Judo from 10 through to 18.

My left knee is completely hosed, so is my shoulder from competitions. On the other hand I can basically fall from shoulder height onto concrete and land safely, plus even all these years later my core is strong as hell.

My old coach also used to tie ropes around our necks so tight we'd struggle to breath then make us do groundwork randori so we wouldn't panic at the sensation of being choked. Kind of rough on a bunch of 13 year olds.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Good morning Judo Megathread superfans

JamMaster Flash
Dec 3, 2003

Thinkin bout uchi mata rn.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i always knew smug was a judo guy

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Yup. It has called to me from a young age. Throwing people around.

Thank you Trash Mammal. Welcome to dog world b*tch*s

THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY journeyman SIGSMITH Luvcow

https://i.imgur.com/EebjYYe.mp4
THIS SHOWSTOPPING SIGGY MADE BY MASTER SIGSMITH Literally A Person

Official height endorsed by a medical professional: 5'11.5"

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

KOKA

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

In joe rolassogan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

I did jujutsu for four years in college and then after I graduated I visited a random judo club once and they absolutely kicked my rear end

judo is rad