Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

League of Legends and Dota players are the most toxic I’ve ever run across. Don’t even bother trying to learn the games it’s a waste of time. And for fucks sake if you earnestly join a game to play and get better don’t. If you like either game you are a stain on humankind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorgeous Zan
Apr 13, 2007

New Haven Yacht Club

YeahTubaMike posted:

There's also the misogyny, gatekeeping, and misogynistic gatekeeping

This is also the case in punk and hardcore subcultures, but I get the impression metal is worse.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Maybe they've grown up since the 90s but yeah imagine people that smell bad and think every piece of music "softer" than their favourite band is gay.

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Maybe they've grown up since the 90s but yeah imagine people that smell bad and think every piece of music "softer" than their favourite band is gay.

are teenage boys a fandom though

I Miss Snausages
Mar 8, 2005
Volvorific!

DicktheCat posted:

Musical people and Disney Adults.

They're often the same people.

If they just liked those things, they'd be fine. But the majority of my life, both in and out of theatre culture, the musical people are the worst to deal with. You can gently say "that's not my favorite genre, sorry" and they'll act like you spat in their face.

I've met very few people who are very into musicals that can understand that some people just don't enjoy the format very much. I do not know why this is, it's like they think their pet genre is just so wonderful that it's universal. And they'll never let it go. You're the Guy That Hates Musicals forever, and if you admire something in one, they'll get really smug "I thought you hated musicals, huh? Huh?"

I can't think of any other genre of fandom that is so dominated by pushy, petty, dickish little tyrants. I've met plenty of creeps into horror, but for the most part, if someone says "I'm not into that" they don't get lovely. You might get called a chicken or something silly like that, but you're not treated like a puppykiller. And generally, horror fans have been the most sensitive, kind people I've met.

Another reason why I never talk about my love of Hollywood musicals of the 1930s-1970s. "YOU DON'T LIKE RENT!?!, WHAT ARE YOU HOMOPHOBIC?" No, I like escapist musicals that don't remind me of the problems of today.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
spongebob

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

DicktheCat posted:

I've met very few people who are very into musicals that can understand that some people just don't enjoy the format very much. I do not know why this is, it's like they think their pet genre is just so wonderful that it's universal. And they'll never let it go. You're the Guy That Hates Musicals forever, and if you admire something in one, they'll get really smug "I thought you hated musicals, huh? Huh?"

I can't think of any other genre of fandom that is so dominated by pushy, petty, dickish little tyrants. I've met plenty of creeps into horror, but for the most part, if someone says "I'm not into that" they don't get lovely. You might get called a chicken or something silly like that, but you're not treated like a puppykiller. And generally, horror fans have been the most sensitive, kind people I've met.

Not even anime?

edit:

Gorgeous Zan posted:

This is also the case in punk and hardcore subcultures, but I get the impression metal is worse.

I wouldn't know tbh

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Chess.

No other fandom throws around accusations of cheating by sex toy

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

YeahTubaMike posted:

Not even anime?

☝️☝️☝️

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It's always like "this track is really hard" and it's like clickcliclickclick there are loving Yo La Tengo tracks thar go harder than most metal people show me.

In regards to misogyny and gatekeeping in punk and hardcore, it's there, but there's also bands that reject it outright and metal, to my knowledge, has never had an offshoot like Riotgrrl or whatever.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Drunk Nerds posted:

Also I'm a lifelong Ohio State fan so I'm not dogpiling or anything, we are the loving worst.

hell fuckin yea we are #1 baby go bucks!!!!! O - H!!!!!!

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
- George Washington
- Jesus
- 1st generation MLP

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Guys who get really into CounterStrike then buy a bunch of guns and become politically active

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Extra Large Marge posted:

Guys who get really into CounterStrike

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

YeahTubaMike posted:

There's also the misogyny, gatekeeping, and misogynistic gatekeeping

Yeah, I've had the real life experience of wearing metal shirts and having dudes approach me like, "there's no way you listen to them, name 5 songs." Including a guy who delivered pizza to me and I gave him a worse tip for it. Then there are the guys lamenting online that there are just no girls into metal, where are all the metal girls?! Then 15 women respond to the comment like "I'm a girl and I like this band" and they get doubted, called traps, or drooled over. It's very reminiscent of how male nerds treat female nerds. They wonder why there are no women in their spaces, then they deny any women that are in the space, and annoy them right back out of it.

TBF, I've had more positive interactions than negative. I've gotten more "I like your shirt!" than getting quizzed. But it does happen.

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Just wanted to throw out a 'gently caress andrew tate'

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Revins posted:

Just wanted to throw out a 'gently caress andrew tate'

Before or after he traffics you?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

SS13 goons

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

The GBS Official Judo Megathread community is probably the least toxic

Unless You're a Tae Kwon Dork :hehe:

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

I dont know what this is

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Isometric Fallout games fanbase circling around the "No Mutants Allowed" forums are their own circle of hell in the sack of crap that is overenthusiastic games fanbases.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Wile E. Toyota posted:

Then there are the guys lamenting online that there are just no girls into metal, where are all the metal girls?! Then 15 women respond to the comment like "I'm a girl and I like this band" and they get doubted, called traps, or drooled over. It's very reminiscent of how male nerds treat female nerds. They wonder why there are no women in their spaces, then they deny any women that are in the space, and annoy them right back out of it.

TBF, I've had more positive interactions than negative. I've gotten more "I like your shirt!" than getting quizzed. But it does happen.

Reminiscent? It's the exact same thing. Metal has been packed with nothing but nerds for decades at this point. Nothing like getting a bunch of dumpy balding fat dudes in black band shirts trying to act like they're total badasses. Like I'm not really into metal all that much these days and I don't really mind it although I've moved on to other kinds of music, but gently caress me I don't know how anyone can stand being in that scene its so goddamn lame and just full of the worst kind of nerds.

Zeniel fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 20, 2023

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Zeniel posted:

Reminiscent? It's the exact same thing. Metal has been packed with nothing but nerds for decades at this point. Nothing like getting a bunch of dumpy balding fat dudes in black band shirts trying to act like they're total badasses. Like I'm not really into metal all that much these days and I don't really mind it, but gently caress me I don't know how anyone can stand being in that scene its so goddamn lame and just full of the worst kind of nerds.

Yeah. The first person I ever met who was seriously into Dungeons and Dragons was a metalhead.

It's been a while since I've hung around that scene but I honestly found them a lot more approachable than fans of uh... pop music? Where I grew up what most teenagers were listening to was either britpop or EDM and rave music. If you didn't listen to that you were a freak and social outcast. I honestly had people wanting to fight me for wearing a Kurt Cobain tribute t-shirt.

Me and my friends discovered a bar that had an event called Purgatory every friday night. It was originally a goth themed night but it eventually ended up with metalheads, punks, grungers and all other sorts (Radiohead fans, etc) partying under one roof. There just weren't that many of us, we were all aware that our tastes were niche so everyone got along.

I still made good natured fun of a guy for liking Pantera. I don't dislike metal but Pantera's music sucks regardless of what a piece of poo poo the frontman is.

Dirty Beluga
Apr 17, 2007

Buy the ticket, take the ride
Fun Shoe
America, OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Valko posted:

Yeah. The first person I ever met who was seriously into Dungeons and Dragons was a metalhead.

It's been a while since I've hung around that scene but I honestly found them a lot more approachable than fans of uh... pop music? Where I grew up what most teenagers were listening to was either britpop or EDM and rave music. If you didn't listen to that you were a freak and social outcast. I honestly had people wanting to fight me for wearing a Kurt Cobain tribute t-shirt.

Me and my friends discovered a bar that had an event called Purgatory every friday night. It was originally a goth themed night but it eventually ended up with metalheads, punks, grungers and all other sorts (Radiohead fans, etc) partying under one roof. There just weren't that many of us, we were all aware that our tastes were niche so everyone got along.

I still made good natured fun of a guy for liking Pantera. I don't dislike metal but Pantera's music sucks regardless of what a piece of poo poo the frontman is.

A lot of my antipathy towards metal scenes comes from a similar origin story - it felt like coming home when I first got to know that there were a bunch of other nerds out there who liked things that perhaps seemed a bit off the beaten track, but it was just jumping from one set of rules to another. I discovered I liked noise more than I liked volume, and that was it for me.

I remember the late 90s well and remember not knowing if a band shirt would get you kicked in at a bus stop, but going to a rock bar now and hearing the same songs I heard 23 years ago is incredibly depressing. The t-shirts remain the same while the faces get older. But there is interesting things going on in pop and electronic scenes - some of them even by people who aren't straight white guys!!

It's interesting that you bring up D&D, because the metalhead reaction to Eddie in Stranger Things seemed to be either fury that a household name stadium rock band were "selling out" or identification with his victim status, completely missing that Eddie was actually a good person.

Disco Pope fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Jun 20, 2023