Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I reinstalled Endless Space 2. New update made it so I don't have to turn my One Drive off to initialize the cloud saving or whatever, it works again!

It is a very pretty game. I cannot understate that. From the artwork, to the UI, to the music, to the character design, to the way that everything swoops in and jiggles around it is such an aesthetically spacy pretty.

It is also... not the best videogame in the genre. There are so many screens, with so many buttons, and the tutorial pane is over the top of things. The tech tree is... it is frustrating. Things unlock at a glacial pace until you establish/break research then it's like fine. It gestures at not needing to fill it out, but every tech is a lynchpin unlock for another esoteric system, it is all interconnected and like 15-23 turns each. I don't really know what to do next and I remember on the fast speed you really needed to optimize your movements and builds so I put it on slow speed and ugh... Also reading all the flavor text, I am seeing the snarky and flippant tone germ that really ruined Humankind for me.

I just wanna vibe. I know the AI aint gonna push or press me if I don't wanna. I love this game very much, it is very pretty and it tries so hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IP9n1CANQO0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Yeah I want to like endless space 2, but it very much feels like the surface is extremely pretty, but the underlying mechanics are tedious and don't really work well. Which is pretty typical of all Amplitude games.

I far prefer playing Stellaris.

I kind of fancy playing a map game, but unsure which. EUIV seems pretty broken nowadays? Victoria doesn't let you paint the map.

Communist Bear has issued a correction as of 14:13 on Apr 28, 2024

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

kaiserreich has probably the best gameplay/map painting of any paradox game rn because they didn't make it

old world blues had the most fun story but i remember the actual gameplay being a lil unfinished

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Bro Dad posted:

kaiserreich has probably the best gameplay/map painting of any paradox game rn because they didn't make it

old world blues had the most fun story but i remember the actual gameplay being a lil unfinished

I struggle with hoi4 and it's strange supply stuff and building equipment. I might try it though.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I was getting woozy lately, just not feeling good at all, but only at certain times of day for whatever reason.

Turns out it was Fallout 76 doing it, something about the graphics settings just gave me massive vertigo like I hadn't had since I tried playing the original Doom when I was a kid.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

evilmiera posted:

I was getting woozy lately, just not feeling good at all, but only at certain times of day for whatever reason.

Turns out it was Fallout 76 doing it, something about the graphics settings just gave me massive vertigo like I hadn't had since I tried playing the original Doom when I was a kid.

I get that occasionally with some games (mostly FPS) and it's something to do with the refresh rate Vs head bop.

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Communist Bear posted:

I struggle with hoi4 and it's strange supply stuff and building equipment. I might try it though.

there's plenty of easy do nothing countries to mess around with in kr and owb gets rid of most of it. probably harder to learn playing vanilla actually

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

evilmiera posted:

make sure your fov is set correctly

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Communist Bear posted:

Yeah I want to like endless space 2, but it very much feels like the surface is extremely pretty, but the underlying mechanics are tedious and don't really work well. Which is pretty typical of all Amplitude games.

I far prefer playing Stellaris.

I kind of fancy playing a map game, but unsure which. EUIV seems pretty broken nowadays? Victoria doesn't let you paint the map.

EU4 is in a pretty good spot now, and there's an Anbennar update in June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Communist Bear posted:

Just play TNO. Very simple, straightforward mechanics