Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I agree. It's charming and funny but lacked that last little push to make it truly special. It did solidify Rachel Sennott for me as the funniest actress today though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I liked the opening of late night with the devil. Set it up as a trashy show I'm watching on like 2000s vh1 or something on the id channel. Needed to follow through with that a bit more

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

I enjoyed Late Night With the Devil, though I did a little lol at the 1:45 of like 8 different production company idents at the start. That's gotta be some kind of record, right?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Quote-Unquote posted:

I enjoyed Late Night With the Devil, though I did a little lol at the 1:45 of like 8 different production company idents at the start. That's gotta be some kind of record, right?

Always reminds me of the Family Guy cutaway where it's just intro after intro

Edit - And that just made me realize that Family Guy has now been around more than half my life gently caress I'm old

Medullah fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Apr 27, 2024

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Quote-Unquote posted:

It's unusual for an American film but every film in Europe has at least 5.

I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one film with 10.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I think it was when I went to see Mother's Instinct a few weeks ago (great movie, by the way) where I started getting "alright, get on with the drat movie" with how many production company idents there were.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I remember The End of Evangelion having a ton as well; I don’t watch a ton of anime but I feel like that’s fairly typical for them

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Quote-Unquote posted:

End of Evangelion has like 800.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

MacheteZombie posted:

I liked the opening of late night with the devil. Set it up as a trashy show I'm watching on like 2000s vh1 or something on the id channel. Needed to follow through with that a bit more

I think the problem is formal inconsistency. The opening is fine if that's the vibe they were going to be trying to sustain throughout, but there's at least three different styles going on and it's hard to understand how they exist contiguously with each other. I'd have to double check, but I suspect some of the behind the scenes sequences couldn't possibly be "filmed" without the use of invisible cameras.

The bit where the film completely breaks with its found footage format essentially dismantles the conceit that the audience is watching a historical document, meaning that the film is either incoherent or a perhaps just a coherent representation of an incoherent hallucination. The latter explanation seems confusing and a bit of a waste of a premise.

I've seen films drop a verite / found footage style partway through, but it's usually done with more purpose and grace than this. I suspect they just didn't know how else to end their film. Which is a shame, because I thought the part where *we* get hypnotised along with the audience, followed by the set piece where they watch the footage back, was really fun and scratched at my brain in cool ways. I wish they'd found ways to make that the climax of the film. As it is, it's so hard to reconcile that sequence with the full on subjective sequences where we're suddenly sutured to a character's perspective.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 27, 2024

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Yeah i thought the opening was kinda clunky esp the stuff that's like generic THIS IS THE 70s but they did need to exposition dump about The Coward Johnny Carson and the dude's relationship and I guess they couldn't figure out a more subtle way.

Fine enough movie. Just didn't really spook me much. I'm willing to forgive found footage "how are they filming this/why is the format switching" type stuff if the movie's great.
See: The Outwaters

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Watched Infested today and yeah, that was a much better spooky spider movie than Sting.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
my complaint with late night with the devil is that it is a found footage film that breaks the rules of found footage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I think the problem is formal inconsistency. The opening is fine if that's the vibe they were going to be trying to sustain throughout, but there's at least three different styles going on and it's hard to understand how they exist contiguously with each other. I'd have to double check, but I suspect some of the behind the scenes sequences couldn't possibly be "filmed" without the use of invisible cameras.

SPOILER TEXT

This inconsistency did keep me from suspending my disbelief.

That said, I liked the whole movie up to the climax. That SPOILER you posted is what pushed me away. If the movie ended with the Jack and the demon staring contest, I would have been fine. Or even a little end narration with maybe some “police evidence photos” or something.

It reminded me a little of History of the Occult, except that movie ended and left the audience with a little mystery.