Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Greetings Spook-a-Doodles..we have such sights to show you

Horror films are a reflection of society. They're designed to titillate , scare, shock, and disturb. All while in the safe confines of a movie theater. Do you have a fear about clowns? There's a horror movie for you. Do you generally hate the bourgeois and think that society is one long never ending class struggle? There's a horror movie for you. Do you specifically have fears about a demonically possessed bong? There's a horror movie for you.

Horror is for everyone.

All are welcome and all deserved to be scared.

:spooky: General Thread Rules :spooky:

:ghost: This is a chill thread. Respect your fellow posters. Everyone here has their own tastes and some of those tastes you may disagree with. This is okay and it is by design. Just don't be a rear end in a top hat. Most of all just Be Nice

:ghost: :Spoilers: This thread respects the movie going experience. While you specifically don't have to spoiler Norman Bates dressing up like his mother and murdering people if the movie is more than a few weeks old be respectful and use spoiler tags. If your unsure of whether to use spoiler tags just use the rule of "Is this a big twist and would spoil the experience for some one else?" . Some movies are very obscure or unheard of , even if very old be cautious.

:ghost:
Images such as GIFS and MEMES that show Gore is fine

Images that show nudity or any type of sexual act must be spoilered and labeled :nws:

:drac: The Thread Voted best films of the 20th century

https://letterboxd.com/goatgonzo/list/i-have-to-return-some-videotapes-sa-horror/

https://letterboxd.com/goatgonzo/list/you-will-not-leave-this-house-alive-sa-horror/

Deep Cuts (Incoming)

International (Incoming)

Horror Thread Originals

Found by CelticPredator https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BShLFrbXd8

The Spine Chilling Woman by bbobseq https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2RgBxk1V14
Esteban by bbobseq https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0V7ZF_jfeVw

The 1st thread :
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3030395
The 2nd Thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876886&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

How do I get a gangtag?
Gangtags are given out for completing the October challenge. You can only get them in October.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Boo

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
going to the drugs+premarital sex store, y'all need anything? no? ok I'll be right back

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Having this movie on VHS really helped me get through some tough times when I was 13

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Groundgrave-floor up in this!

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
:spooky: Reporting for duty! :spooky:

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Looking forward to more horror posting

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

Ground floor... or DUNGEON FLOOR???

e: Also, extremely pleased to see how many of my shitposts made it into the OP, happy to be here, lol

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Extremely looking forward to posting about spooky things

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
F13 rankings are old and tired, ranking the Scooby-Doo movies is where it’s at now.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Darthemed posted:

F13 rankings are old and tired, ranking the Scooby-Doo movies is where it’s at now.

1. Scooby Doo: A Wrestlemania Mystery

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

It's safe to assume everyone in the Final Destination universe dies in a Rube Goldenberg cold-open calamity. The cold open calamities are not the result of the victims scorning death, so that just must be the way things work for everyone. When your time is up, a horn startles a chicken who lays an egg which rolls down a chute and knocks over a stick supporting a bowling ball, and 10 minutes later you're bumped into a wood chipper.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

In that case, Tucker & Dale is a secret Final Destination movie. We've unlocked new lore.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I'll just redo my first throwing down the gauntlet post from the last thread

Best opening scene is TCM with the narration, the camera flashes of the dug up corpse in the dark, to the corpse on the monument. TCM is also the best horror movie. TCM 2 is awful.

Also,
Jason Lives is the best.
Phantasm I-IV are all good for dif reasons.
Tom Atkins :love:
Linnea Quigley in ROTLD is best horror babe.
Bram Stoker's Dracula is a hilariously bad mess, but a beautiful looking one.
Suspiria is by far the most overrated horror movie, but a beautiful looking one. The remake is way better.
Black Christmas is the best slasher, and better than Halloween by a lot.
Rob Zombie is just ok. Eli Roth has never been good.
Evil Dead > Evil Dead II
Freddy is better than Michael and Jason and it ain't even close
Midsommar>Hereditary
Both Rosemary's Baby and Carrie aren't that good
Found footage sucks

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Oh, and Skinamarink is great.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Origami Dali posted:

Oh, and Skinamarink is great.

Wrong

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Darthemed posted:

Mystery Incorporated is the Jason Lives of the Scooby Doo franchise.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Those are certainly opinions one can hold.

Like, not me, but y'know, some people can hold them. If they want.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
my friday the 13th rankings:

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Mystery Incorporated is the Jason Lives of the Scooby Doo franchise.

What's the Jason Goes to Hell?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Origami Dali posted:

Jason Lives is the best.
Black Christmas is the best slasher, and better than Halloween by a lot.
Midsommar>Hereditary
Found footage sucks

:agreed: completely forever :hellyeah:

Things I'm most looking forward to this month: seeing Barbie opening night, and the unveiling of the Saw X trailer by sometime this month. Going to also try to see Insidious (and yes, Oppenheimer too. Got tickets for opening night. Getting a refund if they pull the Tenet sound atrocity with it)

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Crescent Wrench posted:

What's the Jason Goes to Hell?

Is there an all Scrappy Doo movie where the Scooby Gang shows up in the last 10 minutes? The recent CGI movie captured the "this wasn't what I wanted" vibe.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Saying it again and again but if Nolan wants to not be a coward he needs to end Oppenheimer the exact same way Lawrence Woolsey ends his movie in Matinee.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Need thread smell, it’s like blood.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Origami Dali posted:

Phantasm I-IV are all good for dif reasons.

Please try to defend Phantasm IV

It’s by far the worst of the series

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
It made Phantasm V look better by comparison.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Thread regular the number one juicy boi checking in

Friday 2 is the best

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Finally, a thread about horror movies

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure Phantasm IV was my selection on page 1998 of the last thread.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I'm going to try to keep up with this thread this time.

Dark Night of the Scarecrow was on The Last Drive-In last night and it was a surprisingly good made-for-TV horror movie

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Its not horror but I'm watching Deadbeat at Dawn and its fantastically grimey.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Deadite posted:

Dark Night of the Scarecrow was on The Last Drive-In last night and it was a surprisingly good made-for-TV horror movie

I was pleasantly surprised at the Hitchcockian influences and how grim it was at the start...which means when it went sicko mode and started killing off those murderers it became absolutely delightful. Cool atmosphere, and despite the inability to actually show blood or real deaths it managed to still make it feel gory and spooky. Like a particularly classy Tales From The Crypt or an extended Twilight Zone. The ending had me hollering. Fun time!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
dark night of the scarecrow is really a lowkey gem. The main characters after the opening are lovely yokels who end up getting owned. What I really like about it is that it's a slasher that predominantly features people who are middle aged at the youngest. There's no teen hijinks, no hokey scarecrow swinging a scythe, just farming accidents: the movie and a cool little reveal at the end.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

the new best thread on the forums

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Count Thrashula posted:

Thread regular the number one juicy boi checking in

Friday 2 is the best

I dunno. Losing Chris Tucker was rough.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Some horror movies I saw recently:
Bodies Bodies Bodies
Basically You're Next or Ready or Not for teens (guy/girl brings his/her girlfriend to a gathering where it's revealed that no one really likes each other and people end up dead). It has this rep as this big satire of woke culture but not only did I not really find that satire that biting, it actively hurts the movie. The movie literally pauses so that everyone can criticize each other for not being woke enough before the killing can resume. Good, but kinda overrated.
Evil Dead Rise
Love that title sequence. The tour of deadly instruments that promises mutilation (scissors, soldering gun, wood chipper, a staff with a doll's head) was fun. It also answers the question of "why doesn't the supernatural entity just kill the protagonist" with the preacher's speech about how the demon doesn't care about weather or not anyone dies, all it wants is chaos. Lots of blood and laughs to be had with this movie.
Escape Room and Escape Room 2: Tournament of Champions

Probably two of the dumbest movies I've seen recently but it's saved by some really good set design and the fact that you can never really trust the movies.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
What are some of people's favorite castration scenes?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Deadite posted:

Dark Night of the Scarecrow rules

Absolutely do not watch the sequel from last year, made by the writer, that completely doesn't get why that one ruled

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

BrownPepper posted:

There was a rape revenge movie made years ago where these 3 women who were surgeons would kidnap guys and then castrate them. I just remember they did it to one guy and he woke up then he went to pee and started screaming. No I don't know the name of the movie. Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

BrownPepper posted:

Terrifier 2 has a funny one