Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Maybe this is just me being ignorant of what real mental illness looks like, but it's hard to shake the sense that these people aren't so much delusional as they are extremely stupid and self important

Like if I genuinely thought this was happening to me I'd be obsessed with proving it. These people seem a lot more eager to get to the part where they get to talk about how much they suffer and how bad the bad people who treat them bad are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Maybe this is just me being ignorant of what real mental illness looks like, but it's hard to shake the sense that these people aren't so much delusional as they are extremely stupid and self important
Some Mommyblog TikToker got 90 days because she swore some filthy mexicans were following her and going to kidnap her kids to be trafficked.

The folks in question were like "uh we just went in to Wallgreens to grab some giftwrap why the gently caress is she slandering us for views???"

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Like if I genuinely thought this was happening to me I'd be obsessed with proving it. These people seem a lot more eager to get to the part where they get to talk about how much they suffer and how bad the bad people who treat them bad are.

It's definitely delusion. They honestly think that their rantings are "proving it" (because in their minds they think they are making coherent arguments and explaining evidence). Then when people aren't convinced, the delusional person usually decides those other people are a part of the conspiracy too.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I'm an electronicallty.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Ever hear of "delusions of grandeur"? Believing you're being gang stalked is also believing you are important and special enough to be worth gang stalking in the first place. It's brainworms up and down the scale. It's like people who say they have DID and "alters" except believing you're being gang stalked is legitimate mental illness and thinking you have DID and alters is just wanting attention and wanting to feel special by claiming you have anime characters living in your head.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

AKA Pseudonym posted:

It's a really solipsistic delusion that makes very little logical sense. It's frustrating to try to convince someone suffering from this delusion that the logistics of a mass conspiracy to solely monitor and harass a single, unimportant person would involve great expense, time and manpower; and to what end?

I can understand people being so far gone that logic has long ago been thrown out the window. I've interacted with these people and I sympathize and wish that they could get the help they need. I've also interacted with people that are pretty functional otherwise, who believe that gangstalking is real and they seem to just not understand how things work and the scope of the world around them.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
It's main character syndrome gone nuclear tbh. A brain broken in just the right way that makes you the center of your own personal universe. The poster above that said it was solipsistic was absolutely right

It's impossible to reason them out of the position because they didn't reason themselves into it. Full bore mental illness that needs treatment and help but good luck with that when you think all the medical professionals are in on the gang stalking and reporting your private medical data to the central controllers.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Yeah, the problem with trying to logic people out of this is that it's legitimate and significant mental illness. So trying to reason them out is like trying to get someone with a broken leg to walk it off.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Oftentimes these sorts of delusions are tied into things like drug abuse - specifically meth, which induces it's own sort of psychosis but ALSO sleep deprives you so you have another layer of your brain just getting really really hosed up on top of it.

One of my oldest friends went off the deep end with that after being homeless on the street for a few months, an addict who'd been struggling with various addictions since high school, and mental illness over time. There is no amount of mental gymnastics they can't or won't do to fit their delusional narrative if you try to unpack the logic of any of it.

It's super sad.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

does being a gagnstalker pay well? how do I get in on this?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Everyone only talks about the bad side of gangstalking, and that is extremely problematic.

Let's take a look at the benefits https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzoXQKumgCw

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Water damage got the grout in my bathroom Wilding out so me and the boys are getting together for a gang caulking.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

there's a guy in that vice doc who says that freemasons broke into his house and poo poo in his bed. which ... is an excuse I'm going try next time I find myself in a tricky situation.

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

AKA Pseudonym posted:

A lot of other people have weighed in on this, and why delusions like this make people believe they are the center of negative attention, but I'd like to add that often, in the beginning, part of paranoia is that you can't understand why it's happening.
Like when it starts, many of these people express that they don't know why they're being "targeted". It's part of the frustration of the situation. There's no reason or link between all the bad things happening to you- thus it must be coordinated by a force that's more powerful and incomprehensible to you.
After that, delusions pile on top of delusions. Next it's gang stalking. Then it's an entity that wants you dead. Then you discover why it wants you dead.

Paranoia is like a horrible game of Jenga that never falls down. Because our brains are really good at recognizing patterns, it becomes impossible to determine what is actually linked, and what is merely coincidence.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Buce posted:

there's a guy in that vice doc who says that freemasons broke into his house and poo poo in his bed. which ... is an excuse I'm going try next time I find myself in a tricky situation.

Yeah, when the psychosis if far enough along, these people will start actively doing harm to themselves in attempts to generate "proof" that they can get others to accept. While this comic seems really ridiculous...

...killing a pet and them blaming it on the conspiracy (potentially even believing it was the conspiracy that did it) is not terribly uncommon.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
I moved a couple years ago and lost touch with my old friends. But I keep up with my friend Gavin every now and then. I just worry about the guy. A perpetually lone aspergic guy who is super depressed and just like a bitter version of himself from high school. Opposed to therapy. Anyway, he thinks he is being gang stalked. Here are some excerpts, if you wanna see how it manifests, enjoy this too-long chatlog from last week:

Poor Gavin. Always a good hearted dipshit but now crazy :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

If you think about it, with mass surveillance, data collection, etc, everyone is being gangstalked at all times.