Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Fungah! posted:

plutonis you motherfucker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

MacheteZombie posted:

Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence and Come and See made for an interesting pair of companion pieces about war. Enjoyed them both but I don't think I'll watch come and see again ever, that was brutal.

i watched come and see on saturday. yeah...

the audio design is amazing

im impressed that the journey is fairly contiguous and keeps moving without feeling trite and goofy

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

it's mekchu's time

Joint Security Area dir. by Park Chan-Wook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAXBb4fVh8A

quote:

After a shooting incident at the North-South Korean border DMZ leaves two North Korean soldiers dead, a neutral Swiss and Swedish team investigates what actually happened.
This movie will expire January 22nd.

This movie can be found streaming on the following platforms

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
JFYI, if you can get onto Korean Netflix it's on there.

Hope you all enjoy it, I really like this film a lot.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 9, 2024

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Mekchu posted:

JFYI, if you can get onto Korean Netflix I'm like 90% certain it's on there.

[loading up an eastern European website with every movie known to man] that's cool man

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Mekchu posted:

JFYI, if you can get onto Korean Netflix it's on there.

Hope you all enjoy it, I really like this film a lot.

uh huh. and just how exactly did you do that

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence was a nice film. Takeshi steals the movie, and his relationship with Lawrence makes the movie worth watching. I thought Tom Conti could have gave a bit better of a performance, though, but that may have been on the director. I was hoping Hara would be spared execution much like Lawrence on Christmas, but that didn't seem likely.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fungah! posted:

uh huh. and just how exactly did you do that

By being in Korea

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Mekchu posted:

By being in Korea

Get his rear end

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence

Never heard of nor saw this film until now but its really good. The starting situation with the Korean guard and the soldier then being similarly reflected by Yanoi's feelings towards Celliers was a great juxtaposition. Adding in Takeshi's role as Hara was incredibly fitting throughout, and his character's relationship with Lawrence in comparison to Yanoi & Celliers' relationship was a great parallel. Not much else to say beyond what other people said, this was such a good film overall.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Jan 12, 2024

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

watched JSA tonight having basically no idea what it was about, but I knew it was really popular in Korea and was the movie that made Park Chan Wook a well known director. it's really great and Park's style is already in full evidence. fantastic match shots, horizontally-divided frames, black humor. very funny film overall actually, i was dying at the investigator being terrible at darts. i am glad Park became a bit more restrained with his camera movements in later films, some of these shots were a bit much. cool to see that he's always had an eye for strikingly-constructed shots.

the central mystery was handled really well i thought, the rashomon-style flashbacks were obvious falsehoods but the details they lay out like the execution-style shooting and the guy sketching soldier's girlfriends really muddied the waters even as we watch the friendships develop. it was really interesting seeing a South Korean perspective on the Korean split, i was kind of surprised it was so explicitly anti-American and pro normalization. very pointed that in the end the investigator gets sent home for being the daughter of a communist. great pick, really loved this one.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
Joint Security Area

pretty good. hard to go wrong w/ a cool rashomon type movie. the order of things they reveal to you is very clever and interesting.
spent half the movie being frustrated at how dumb these chars were and how they kept tempting fate. u morons. thats probably part of y the sad scenes didnt hit as much. i knew they were supposed to be hella impactful but they didnt connect w/ me that hard. the friendship scenes were wholesome tho :nsacloud:
the shots were a bit cheesy sometimes idk. they feel dated that way. took me out the movie. also the english (and the acting when ppl are speaking it). im too esl for this poo poo.
3/5

thanks for the epic sig el spider

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

finally sat down and watche Come and See. it certainly lives up to its reputation as a harrowing anti-war film, but its also incredibly technically accomplished. does anyone know how they did the pan out of a split diopter shot? i've never seen that done before. feels kind of gross to gush about the technical aspects though when the whole thing is practically grabbing you by the collar with its message. the main character going from a normal kid to shell-shocked veteran over the course of like two days is a gut wrenching transformation. it does a great job really putting you into the mindset of a terrorized populace, just giving the audience glimpses of troops, or the plane always circling overhead, or the unseen minefield, building up until suddenly there they are in the village, coming into homes and rounding people up. filmmaking as sharp as a spear

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
merry christmas, mr lawrence

great film, the opening song sets the tone perfectly. coming in i had the most interest in seeing bowie and sakamoto's performances but i was really charmed by takeshi and conti too. conti in particular with his eyes and constant regretful smile really sells you on the melodrama. i haven't seen much of anything else they've been involved in but hanabi is going to the top of my watchlist. their Lawrence and Hara and the way they struggle together and against each other provide more grounded drama, especially as a stand in for the broader tragedy of how every soldier in war will face killing people that they could come to love under normal circumstances

meanwhile Celliers and Yonoi are like spirits haunting the other. shells of their former selves, driven entirely by shame and regret, they throw themselves entirely into the war to self-immolate. you get to see Celliers' past play out in some cool, surreal flashbacks but reading more about the February 26 incident helped me understand Yonoi more as well.

agree with pretty much everything people have written below, love the way the film juxtaposes the two cultures and shows both sides perspectives are incoherent, how their societies are ultimately interested in using ideology and concepts of honor and duty to enforce control and make men willing to destroy their spirits committing violence against one another. i knew going in the film would have gay subtext (loading it up on criterion showed that it is part of the 'homoeroticism for the holidays' collection, a status it only shares with an 11 minute short called wren boys??) but right from the beginning it's front and center with Kanemoto and De Jong. It wasn't subtitled but I think Kanemoto tells De Jong he loves him in Japanese during his execution? There's Lawrence and Hara's frank discussion on homosexuality in the military. and then of course celliers and yonoi. their relationship definitely scans as romantic but i think the film is ultimately interested in yonoi's inability to accept cellier's willingness to put down the sword for the sake of his fellow man. when he walks forward during the parade scene and kisses yonoi on both cheeks, he imitates judas but becomes a christ like figure, dying to save his fellow prisoners and, per the epilogue, yonoi's spirit too.

like machetezombie said, interesting companion to come and see. it's the brutal horror of war, this is the tragedy of it.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Watched Come and See a couple days ago and just finished Merry Christmas, Mister Lawrence. A little tired so forgive me if my thoughts aren't quite coming together.

MC,ML was good, I had expected the thing between Celliers and Yonoi to be the focus of the film but found myself mostly interested in Lawrence and Hara's relationship. Kitano completely steals the show, though I thought Bowie gave a really great and intense performance too. A good meditation on cultural differences, never quite bridging the gap between them despite how similar they are, kind of grim and tragic without ever being depressing--strangely wistful which I wasn't expecting. The reveal that despite how different they seem and how obsessed Yonoi is with Celliers, they are the way they are because they had wildly different responses to very similar regrets from their past got me pretty good. Haunting ending too. I think the soundtrack is what's going to stick with me the most though, I've already pulled up Forbidden Colours on YouTube and am listening to it again as I type this.

I loved Come and See, complete masterpiece of a film. Surreal and dreamlike one moment and ultrarealistic and horrifying the next, with Klimov knowing exactly which one each scene called for, never going too far into the surrealism to undercut the other side. Great sound design, the gunfire and explosions are super menacing, the sequence where he's near-deafened which gradually gives way to tinnitus. The whole massacre at the end was just masterfully done, horrifying without being gratuitous, shocking without feeling like it tried too hard to be, completely stressful to watch but you can't take your eyes away. The constant screaming of hundreds of people, all trying to escape but packed too tightly to do anything but thrash against each other, while the Germans laugh and taunt them outside, just a vision straight out of Hell. It's interesting that Nazis are usually portrayed in films as cold, calculating villains whereas this movie has like two of those kind of guys as officers and the rest are just generally dumb thugs entertaining themselves after giving themselves totally over to the cause of genocide. World-class movie, glad I finally watched it after having the blu-ray sitting on my shelf for like two and a half years now.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
looking forward to watership down next

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

We have Sir Mat of Dickie with this week's selection.

Human Desire - dir. by Fritz Lang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUaDKWDTHok

quote:

A Korean War vet returns to his job as a railroad engineer and becomes involved in an affair with a co-worker's wife following a murder on a train where they meet.
This movie will expire on January 29th.

This movie can be found on archive.org or at your local library, probably.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
My apologies for picking something that's not on streaming services at the moment, very silly of me. It's a great film noir and a great role for Gloria Grahame.

Compare with La Bête humaine by Jean Renoir, which this was based on. It changes the plot substantially. Personally, I prefer Fritz Lang's take on the story.

edit: Correction, it's another adaptation of the same novel, not a remake of the film itself.

Sir Mat of Dickie fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 23, 2024

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I've neglected to post my reviews for Merry Christmas and Come and See.

Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence - I was blown away by this move and I'm surprised I've never heard of it before now. I'm impressed by how many themes they've managed to explore in such a limited setting. I like the soundtrack but it feels a bit out of place in the movie.

Come and See - I enjoyed the beginning of the movie where the soldiers try to lull the boy and his family into a false sense of security. Everything after he gets captured by the nazis is incredibly powerful and some of the most evocative filmmaking of all time. However I just didn't understand the middle of the movie at all. The parts with the girl just drag on.

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
egad, I'm falling behind

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Come and See

i've felt sad and anxious at certain movies before but never felt just purely stressed by one until now, my god. CnS absolutely nailed the vibe of bleak and barren despair it was going for and then some, even the scenes were it was intertwined with almost artful cinematography just made it feel like a foggy alien wasteland. despite that, the acting was just purely raw and human. insane that this was Flyora's actor's first role ever considering the harrowing decline in real time from him being a bright-eyed boy fantasizing about war to a traumatized spirit to the point that he's nearly entirely silent by the end. there was never a time where he was in control of anything, which is a stark contrast to the (admittedly few) war movies i've seen where even when the protag(s) are on the back foot you still have a sense of hope and knowing that things will turn out alright. suffice to say it there's absolutely none of that here, even the more lighthearted scenes early on have this undercurrent of "calm before the storm," which comes in full force with that village scene. up until that point i thought it was great but not soulcrushing, and then just everything from then on i couldn't tear my eyes away from. someone mentioned the audio design and i think it's exemplified with the screaming and wailing from the barn giving way to the cheers and shouts of the Nazis and the crackling of both fire and the audio, just this complete and utter carnival of devastation. it's made really impactful by the fact that aside from a couple distant encounters the Germans are basically hidden up until that point, it makes it come off as so much more agonizing when they just keep coming in droves to contribute to the chaos.

i could probably keep going and going the more i reflect but it's getting very close to the deadline, and others have said a lot of what i have and would. just a masterpiece daring to shine light on the darkest sides of humanity and war

9.5/10

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
I rewatched La Bête humaine (it's on the Criterion Channel) while I was at it and now I'm not sure which version I prefer. I should read the novel to see what might be missing. Lang's adaptation simplified some of the relationships between the characters and I loved the visuals of all the steam engines in Renoir's adaptation, but I found the ending of Renoir's version to be psychologically implausible (hence my curiosity now to read the novel), unlike in Lang's film. Can't say that there are very many adaptations that include a portrait of the novel's author in the opening credits, which was a very nice gesture.

Sir Mat of Dickie fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 23, 2024

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Join security area was drat good. Really liked the bonding stuff of the guards. The guy that payed Sgt. Oh was really good. The investigation stuff feels like an after thought at times but has its upsides too.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
Human Desire

p boring ngl
had some cool moments and shots
2/5

thanks for the epic sig el spider

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

ok! think thts everyone who got a pick. sc64 is gonna focus on some other stuff for a bit so he asked me to take over, i'll post thread two wth a special marathon event here in a bit.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

keep talkin about this rounds movies in here, i'm gonna try to wtch the two movies today

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

joint security area - liked it a lot. very tragic, i liked th guards becoming friends. feel like the end of the movied be a lot less tragic if the lady'd just kept her drat mouth shut. didnt need to tell him he was the one who shot private jung. plus she was talkin real loud about quiet poo poo in front of sergent oh's bosses right before that, they dont need to know this stuff. good flick overall, neat pick

★★★

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

btw i had someone message me nd ask why i never give movies 5 stars and its because i grade on a 0-4 star system. 4 means godlike movie, 3.5 means close enough, 3 is i liked it a lot. .5 means its crank 2

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Joint Security Area

rad movie that i dont have to write about due to the picker getting banned

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

the structure is very odd, spending a little bit with the mystery and false narratives, and then spending a very long time on the real flashback, but i cannot complain

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

elf help book posted:

the structure is very odd, spending a little bit with the mystery and false narratives, and then spending a very long time on the real flashback, but i cannot complain

Yeah I really enjoyed the story, but I don't get why it was set up like a it's going to be a mystery but just immediately shows you what happened.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

Joint Security Area

rad movie that i dont have to write about due to the picker getting banned

lol

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
turning in joint security area late - song kang-ho is fantastic in this. love the makeup they did with his eye. lots of cheeky shots and transitions.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Human Desire was pretty solid, Gloria Grahame and Broderick Crawford were great. Crawford was so menacing when he wanted to be.

Loved the ending, quite a way to end it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Human Desire

pretty fun

lol at:
Jeff learning of Vickis troubles and, instead of concern or trying to figure out how to help her, just immediately gets pissed that hes now in deep too
the whole plot kicking off from Carl losing his job, but then he just loses it again off screen

i like the small town setting and slightly corny ending for Jeff. like he just got trapped in a much more serious movie for a bit before going back and seeing the nice girl again

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Just wanted to say thanks to Stone Cold 64 for putting movie club together, saw some awesome movies thanks to this

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Yup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Follow along with the 2024 edition here