Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Welcome to Blockbuster Movie Club. Myself, Fungah, and Subactuality figured this would be a great way to keep engagement here up, along with helping and encouraging imps to discover or revisit some movies. They might be great. They might be awful. But they will be watched. For now we don't really have any guidelines on what kind of movies should or should not be watched, beyond they are reasonably easy to find. Each week we will roll for someone to pick a movie, and then we'll have up to two weeks to watch the movie, then write up our own review/thoughts on the movie and share and discuss it.

If anyone wants to join movie club just post in this thread, then tomorrow on Monday we will roll for who gets to pick our first movie.

Joint Security Area dir. by Park Chan-Wook

Mekchu's Pick
This movie will expire January 22nd.

Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence - dir, by Nagisa Oshima
Terranon's Pick
Come and See - dir, by Elem Klimov]
Plutonis's Pick

These films will expire January 15th.

Charley Varrick dir. By Don Siegel

Spoderman's Pick.
This movie will expire at the end of the year.

The Fifth Element - dir. by Luc Besson

Copy's Pick
Expired December 25th.

Collateral - dir. by Michael Mann

Joey McChrist's Pick
This movie will expire December 18th.

Rocky - dir. by John G. Avildsen

STONE COLD 64's Pick
This film will expire December 11th.

Streets Of Fire - dir. by Walter Hill

Rodbeard's Pick
Expired December 4th.

Bacurau - dir. by Juliano Dornelles & Kleber Mendonça Filho

Jenny Agutter's Pick
Expired November 27th.

Synecdoche, New York - dir. by Charlie Kaufman

i got the tude now's Pick
Expired November 20th.

The Secret of NIMH - dir. By Don Bluth

Leadthumb's Pick
Expired November 13th.

November - dir. by Rainer Sarnet

super sweet best pal's Pick
Expired November 6

Memories Of Murder - dir. by Bong Joon Ho

ddinkins' Pick
Expired October 30th.

The Forbidden Zone - dir. by Richard Elfman

starbarry clock's Pick
Expired Oct 23.

TOMMY - dir. by Ken Russell

elf help book's Pick
Expired October 16th.

High Noon dir. by Fred Zinnemann

Herculon's Pick
Expired October 9th.

Crank (2): High Voltage - dir. by Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor

Plebian Parasite's Pick
Expired Oct 2.

Speed Racer - dir. by The Wachowskis

Fungah's Pick
Expired September 25th.

Hana-Bi - dir. by Takeshi Kitano

MacheteZombie's Pick
Expired Sep 18

Le Samouraï - dir. by Jean-Pierre Melville

Fucker's Pick
Expired Sep 11th.

GAMERA: GUARDIAN OF THE UNIVERSE - dir. by Shûsuke Kaneko

Roth's Pick.
Expired September 4th.

Mandy - dir. by Panos Cosmatos

Kagaya Homoraisan's Pick
Expired Aug 28th.

The Sword of Doom dir. by Kihachi Okamoto
Pale Flower dir. by Masahiro Shinoda

Punished Chuck's Pick.
Expired August 21st.

The Wrong Guy dir. by David Steinberg

Sub-Actuality's Pick
Expired August 14.

House dir. by Nobuhiko Ôbayashi

Nostradingus's Pick
Expired August 7

MALCOLM dir. by Nadia Tess

trying to jack off's Pick
Expired July 31

THE MASTER dir. by Paul Thomas Anderson

Symbolic's Pick
Expired Jul 24

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jan 9, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

watched:

The Master (2012): ★★★ ½
Malcolm (1986): ★★
House (1977): ★★★
The Wrong Guy: ★★½
Sword of Doom: ★★½
Pale Flower: ★★★★
Mandy: ★★★
Gamera: Guardian of the Universe: ★★★
Le Samourai: ★★★½
Hana-bi: ★★★★
Speed Racer: ★★★½
Crank 2: High Dogshit: ½
High Noon: ★★★
Tommy: ★★★½
The Forbidden Zone: ★½
Memories of Murder: ★★★ ½
November: ★★½. after penalty, Zero Stars.
The Secret of NIMH: ★★★
Synecdoche, NY: ★★★★
Bacurau: ★★½
Streets of Fire: ★★
Rocky: ★★★★
Collateral: ★★★
The Fifth Element: ★★★½
Charley Varrick: ★★★
Joint Security Area: ★★★

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jan 23, 2024

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Watched:

Year One
The Master - 4/5
House - 4.5/5
The Wrong Guy - 3.5/5
Mandy - 2.75/5
Gamera: Guardian of the Universe - 3.5/5
Hana-bi - 4/5
Speed Racer - 3.5/5
Tommy - 3/5
Forbidden Zone - 1/5
Synecdoche New York - 4/5
Secrets of NIMH - 3.5/5
Rocky - 4.5/5
Collateral - 4.5/5

Year Two
Come and See - 5/5
Merry Christmas, Mister Lawrence - 3.5/5

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 15, 2024

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

I need an excuse to watch more anyway, gaming’s been so good lately it’s obliterated all my other hobbies, don’t think I’ve watched anything since John Wick 4.

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008
Sure, this is my only hobby

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
I’m in

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

i definitely ought to watch more, so i'm in

- The Master: 8/10
- Malcolm: 5/10
- House: 8/10
- The Wrong Guy: 7/10
- Pale Flower: 6.5/10
- Mandy: 8.5/10
- Gamera: Guardian of the Universe: 7.5/10
- Speed Racer: 9/10
- High Noon: 7.5/10
- Tommy: 7.5/10
- Forbidden Zone: starbarry clock/10
- The Secret of NIMH: 7.5/10
- Synecdoche, New York: 9.5/10
- Streets of Fire: 5/10
- Rocky: 9/10
- Come and See: 9.5/10

symbolic fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Jan 16, 2024

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Count me in op

--------------------------------
     REVIEW ZONE
--------------------------------

The Master (2012)

Malcolm (1986)

House (1977)

The Wrong Guy (1997)

Gamera: Guardian of the Universe (1995)

Le Samouraï (1967)

Speed Racer (2008)

High Noon (1952)

Streets of Fire (1984)

Repo Man (1984)

Sub-Actuality fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Dec 28, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Can always use another excuse to watch movies

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i jsut watched star trek vi, so can the first move be star trek vi?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

I use the EGM scale for rating.
1-3 bad, 4-6 ok, 7 and up is good, 8 and 8.5 are , 9 and 9.5 are and a 10 is .

watchlist

Malcolm - 7/10

House (1977) - 8/10

The Wrong Guy - 6.5/10

Pale Flower - 7/10

Le Samourai - 7.5/10

Speed Racer - 7.5/10

Crank: High Voltage - 4/10

High Noon - 8.5/10

The Forbidden Zone - 1/10 did not finish

Secret of NIMH - 7.5

Synecdoche, New York - 9/10

Streets Of Fire - 6.5/10

STING 64 fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Nov 21, 2023

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
I'm in for some insane 80's action movies

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

Could be fun, sure

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
only joining this if "mom & dad save the world" is on the list

copy
Jul 26, 2007

cool idea

watched list
The Master 4.5/5: excellent acting and screenplay. extremely good at setting a mood and atmospher
Malcolm: 3/5: pretty fun comedy that doesn't overstay its welcome. very kickass soundtrack. the final heist takes this from a 3 to a 4 for me
House: 4/5: really visually interesting but too weird to be scary. def glad to have seen it and see the common evolutionary ancestor between Grudge and Wes Anderson movies. updating this to a 4 because i like this movie more now that ive had time to think about it
Speed Racer: 4.5/5: gave myself the night to think about it and i still really liked this movie. incredibly fun, super stylized, and the racer family form a simple but very well executed emotional core for the film. no business being as good or well made as it was lol. young speed was kinda meh but they never really return to that after the intro.
High Noon: 4/5. really good western. john wayne was completely right on his read of the townspeople, but that made the movie interesting and cool. the different reactions were amazing, starting with the deputy trying to negotiate with him and ending with the one guy who shows up and then is mad at gary cooper because he feels guilty. really fun film over all and one i prob wouldnt have thought to watch without the movie club rec.
synecdoche, new york: 4.5/5 this owned and kinda hosed me up a little bit lol. for some reason it felt like the movie version of when one of those paintings that's a portrait from far away but if you look close you see that its actually a hundred small faces. still kind of struck by it all.
Bacurau: 3.5/5 really cool but too loving long. desperately needed to take like a half hour off this movie. But once it got going it was a lot of fun that imo made up for the drag at the beginning. the townsfolk killing the murder tourists back owned. i was shouting at the screen when lunga grabbed the machete. was kinda interested with the music direction from the beginning of the film with the title music and then the funeral march but the rest of it didn't really land or felt weird like the synthwave capoeira jogo lol.
Rocky: 5/5 this movie's the best. I dont think i've ever actually watched it before, or if i did i was so young i don't even remember it. love his entire little world. rocky shouting at his bathroom door about how much he needed mick/anybody ten years ago was loving powerful lol. and then the end of the movie where everything is just drowned out noise as they announce the winner of the fight and all that you can clearly discern is rocky ignoring the reporters to yell for adrian. gently caress man this owned
Collateral: 4/5. This poo poo ruled. super tense the whole time. excellent performances from Foxx and Cruise. Felt a little goofy with Vincent's death right at the end but apart from that stellar loving flick. Like i get what they were going for but after all the intensity of everything from the night club on it just felt almost almost comical to end like that.
5th element: 4/5. I forgot how funny this movie was. Really dug the way it cuts between different scenes in a few parts (zorg trading with the pirates and also the bits where the president is listening to Ruby's broadcast). Fun and weird movie. Def agree with Fucker's assessment that it feels like a live action cartoon

copy fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 21, 2023

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I don't watch movies as much as I used to, so this might be a good way to get me back in.

My ratings:
- The Master ****
- Malcolm ***
- House: my pick
- The Wrong Guy *** 1/2
- Pale Flower ****
- Gamera: Guardian of the Universe ****
- Mandy * 1/2

Nostradingus fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 26, 2023

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
yeah ill watch movies

Arch Nemesis
Mar 27, 2007

cool

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

sounds fun

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

I love watching movies

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I tried to keep up with this last time and enjoyed it

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

sounds fun

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

if we roll u and u wanna pick that then yeah

i dont want to waste my pick on star trek vi

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
sure

ty sub-actuality for av & the kins for sig

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

I’m in, but don’t roll me first

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Sure, wanna go.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Watch List

The Master (2012): excellent
Malcolm (1986): pretty good
House (1977): excellent
The Wrong Guy: great
Mandy: great
Gamera: Guardian of the Universe: great
Hana-bi: excellent
Speed Racer: great
Crank 2: High Voltage: fun in a weird way
Tommy: great
Memories of Murder: great
The Secret of NIMH: great
Rocky: classic, great overall
Collateral: another great film
Fifth Element: great
Merry Christmas, Mr. Lawrence: excellent
Joint Security Area:

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jan 12, 2024

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
sounds cool, im in :cheers:

The Master - 5/5
Malcolm - 2/5
House - 3/5
The Wrong Guy - 2/5
The Sword Of Doom - 2/5
Pale Flower - 4/5
Mandy - 3/5
Gamera: Guardian of the Universe - 2/5
Le Samouraï - 3/5
Hana-bi - 3/5
Speed Racer - 4/5
Crank 2 - 3/5
High Noon - 3/5
Tommy - 3/5
The Forbidden Zone - 1/5 :what:
Memories of Murder - 4/5
November - 4/5
Videodrome - 2/5
Bram Stoker's Dracula - 3/5
Killer Klowns from Outer Space - 3/5
Dog Soldiers - 2/5
The Thing - 5/5
The Secret of NIMH - 3/5
Synecdoche, New York - 4/5
Bacurau - 2/5
Streets of Fire - 2/5
Rocky - 3/5
Collateral - 4/5
The Fifth Element - 4/5
Joint Security Area - 3/5

thanks for the epic sig el spider

Fucker fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jan 13, 2024

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Sure, wanna go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQgqE-fYyDo

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
colonel im in

watched:
the master 9/10 a mess of a film which poses more questions than it provides answers but its brilliantly shot and acted and scored

malcom 5/10 but i think its worth watching as a fun little novelty because that 5 goes a long way

house (1977) 10/10 inspired visual effects on what looks like a shoestring budget and strong characters drive an off-kilter yet approachable story that has laughs light chills and plenty of craziness

the wrong guy 8/10 great comedy starring dave foley of kids in the hall with solid jokes peppered judiciously throughout but a few lulls that make you pine for the next scene especially near the beginning of the third act but turns it around to end on a good note

pale flower 9/10 a tragic film where everything goes right in the film-making but nothing goes right in the story

the sword of doom 9/10 a tragic film where everything goes right in the film-making but nothing goes right in the story until the very end

mandy 6/10 ive never been so conflicted about a movie in a long time what starts off as solid horror fare quickly spirals into... something else. this movie is something else

gamera guardian of the universe 10/10 really epic moments strung together by some solid b story human plots makes this a badass kaiju movie, i applauded a giant turtle

le samourai 9/10 amazingly acted and decently well paced with some good nuance behind seemingly innocuous things that just builds on the intrigue with payoffs down the road

hana-bi 8.5/10 a lot like the master in terms of inflicting me with extreme amounts of confusion but a really impactful film that hit me in different ways that overall i enjoyed despite feeling almost completely lost during most of the movie

speed racer 8/10 a few things drag down an otherwise exhilarating experience that i really enjoyed the races are crazy and the cinematography is in overdrive to keep up with the action and hardly misses a beat

crank 2 7/10 quick and to the pointless; a fun ride with some genuinely shocking moments that unfortunately has a very limp cookie cutter action movie ending scene that hurts what was otherwise a very enjoyable and fun romp

high noon 9/10 a really unique especially im sure for the time western that manages to be more depressing than pale flower or sword of doom combined while still giving the audience the slimmest amount of wiggle room to have any hope at all of anything working out

tommy 9.5/10 surreal as hell but subtly underscored by a solid message, a movie who's soundtrack never ceases and belts out constant bangers with scenes that hit you in the face, kick fockin rear end

forbidden zone 10/10 as pure as a movie can get in its unapologetically off-kilter raunchiness and hilarity with plenty of musical numbers that could stick in your brain forever

memories of murder 9/10 fun murder mystery that balances lighthearted and silly moments with some genuinely creepy imagery and moments and infighting, id watch again and try to figure it out more

november 5/10 a weak central story thats split up by some very twee ye olde estonian folklore but its also one of the most gorgeously shot movies ive seen with some standout performances

the secret of nimh 8.5/10 great animation and above average voice acting weaved well with a modest but enjoyable score and a killer story

synecdoche new york 10/10 similar to the master for me but hit me harder emotionally, some dark humor scattered throughout a surreal and befucked story

streets of fire 6.5/10 a bit of a bland action movie that has great music and solid 80s schlock acting but ends up feeling like an empty experience because of its lack of edge and danger for a gritty action flick

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

starbarry clock fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 4, 2023

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I'll join in

Watched List:

The Master - 5 stars
Malcolm - 2 stars
Pale Flower - 5 stars

Roth fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Aug 19, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Can I pick obscure Shot on Video movies or do I need to stick to stuff more easily available?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

MacheteZombie posted:

Can I pick obscure Shot on Video movies or do I need to stick to stuff more easily available?

STONE COLD 64 posted:

For now we don't really have any guidelines on what kind of movies should or should not be watched, beyond they are reasonably easy to find.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

getting my hunter license so i can access the forbidden zones where the cool movies are

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

copy posted:

getting my hunter license so i can access the forbidden zones where the cool movies are

copy
Jul 26, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XTfu52VX6w&t=56s

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Okay i have rolled the wheel for names and symbolic is the winner. Symbolic let me know what your pick is.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Gunna need everyone to get subscriptions to povhorror.com

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Okay i have rolled the wheel for names and symbolic is the winner. Symbolic let me know what your pick is.

oh poo poo ok lol, i had several picks in mind but didn't expect to be first up. lemme think about em for a few & i'll PM ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

So do we get trophies on how long we watched the movie?