Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Also shoddy electrical work around the subsurface machinery causing electrocution when folks fell in.

Loving this thread!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

DarkLich posted:

In the orange box, we will build a flat thrill ride for the hot zone. Long term, we will revisit the area to build a suspended coaster entrance nearby. List of flat rides can be found in this post

Because there's a six year old child lurking in the back of my mind, I suggest go-karts named Hot Wheels. Volcano tracks are a classic of more fantastical racing games, after all.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Cythereal posted:

Because there's a six year old child lurking in the back of my mind, I suggest go-karts named Hot Wheels. Volcano tracks are a classic of more fantastical racing games, after all.

I believe go karts are being saved for the mad max wasteland

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
^ Correctomundo. Hot Wheels is a kickin rad name though

My plan right now for the park is to establish an entry point into all of the districts, so that guests are able to fully circle it without backtracking. This includes setting up the next two monorail stops, so that we've got a continuous loop. Following that, we'll be able to revisit each of the zones - add a few more rides and polish them up.

The other thing I need to play around is game performance. All of those extra bits and bobs will eventually slow down the game, so I'm trying not to over-decorate areas too much in the first pass. Not sure when we will reach that threshold though.

Regallion posted:

the pizza sign is made with WHAT?

Since this game only has a limited set of assets, a bit of creativity is needed for larger art pieces! A lot of the 'candy' props have texture to them, making them useful for exotic decoration. ie, cookies for dried meat. I'll try to call out whenever props are used in unusual ways. In any case, do not eat the wall pizza.

Badger of Basra posted:

Also why are river rapids rides so dangerous?

Other posters have been spot-on with their replies. Water is an electrical hazard, it hides all of the machinery churning beneath the rider, and it does not agree with our lungs. Even back in the 90s, my family was a bit apprehensive about riding one after hearing stories.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Badger of Basra posted:

Also why are river rapids rides so dangerous?

The rafts are usually not floating; they're moving on rollers. So the space below the rafts is full of people-mangling machinery that keeps the rafts rolling.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

PoptartsNinja posted:

The rafts are usually not floating; they're moving on rollers. So the space below the rafts is full of people-mangling machinery that keeps the rafts rolling.

Yeah. There was an incident at a water ride at a park here in Australia awhile back and the news coverage on that got everyone really acquainted with the phrase 'injuries incompatible with life'.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Regallion posted:

the pizza sign is made with WHAT?
Rocks, vines, and cookies. Why, what did you hear? :v:

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
A Glimpse of the Lost Future

One of our existing rides gets a tune-up, with a name inspired by Commander Keene. "The Collapse of Civilization" had difficulty fitting on a sign, so I went with the above selection. The ride was broken during the photography session, hence the lack of foot traffic in the area.

Now for the main objective: growing the volcanic zone, and establishing a base in the Lost Future.

We begin with a thrill ride on the edge of the crater, across the path from our new river rapids. River Rapids are pretty gentle overall, so we needed something with higher intensity.

This type of flat thrill ride is called a "Transformer". I'm not sure which real world ride it's based on, because it a certain group of robots in disguise claimed most of the relevant search results.

Forest Fires are going to be the relevant disaster here, so I build a spacious mountain lodge for the queue line, and surround it with taller trees.

A thunderstorm appears and presents a great photo opportunity! Conflagration offers an alternative attraction in this geothermal district for guests not looking to get soaked.

We're going to pretend the dead trees are made of some resin, so that they don't burn under the constant pyrotechnics. In the game engine, trees sway with the winds, and dead trees are no different. As such, I could only put fire FX near the roots.

Other dining options are also provided in the nearby food court. Big Rock Candy Mountain deviates from the usual architecture here, but the name demanded it. Here's a link to the relevant song, for those unfamiliar with the greatest hobo anthem of all time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6F0IhdaaWI

The rock candy is made of - you guessed it - rocks. A few gem assets are added to mix up the textures. This is also the first use of the 'medieval' walls, which allow for colored bricks.

Rock Candy isn't actually a stall choice in the game, so Cotton Candy is used as an alternative.

A sturdy bathroom is built nearby. Since we are in the mountains, only the most efficient septic solutions are provided here. The urinal trough.

Guests also need a place to buy drinks, so we add the Cocoa Cafe. Parkitect has plenty of dessert assets, so we might as well use them!

I might also experiment more with menu signs, especially when they present some opportunities for apocalyptic word-play. We've got some good suggestions earlier in the thread to incorporate if we go that route, too!

You'll also notice that guests are still demanding food and drink places, so we should build them as soon as possible when we reach the next district.

The volcanic region is stable for now, so let's extend our park into the winter biome!

The monorail is extended from the Wasteland station. It moves along the broken highway rail first, before moving above the river rapids.

Speaking of which, it's been named Pyroclastic Flow! While a 'lahar' is a better scientific term, the former choice was better for theatrics.

Also, I found out that you could re-color the interior of the rapid's tube! The water stays blue, but you'll notice it has some orange undertones now.

The monorail station will connect to the main food court of the Lost Future. The idea for this district is that humans have mostly been wiped out by technologically superior entities. So any human structures here are represented by Earth's remaining resistance forces. That means tall security fences.

The main monorail building will be the first landmark of the area. The nice thing about giant buildings is that you can hide your non-sense queue lines from public view, and then pretend that the interior is immaculately designed.

Also, the monorail is connected to the Entrance Station. This isn't the final stop, but I add a temporary connection so that we have a continuous circuit of monorail flow. It's ugly and practical for now, but we will revisit it once we move into the next area.

For this building, I aim for more brutalist architecture. That style usually conveys a stark environment and dystopian themes. The roof is a little bare for now, but I'll make some updates once I figure out the decor for the rest of the compound.

There's also another supply depot beneath the monorail station! That will let us establish a few shops nearby, requiring minimal effort from haulers.

The compound is a bit too rectangular, so I carve out a section for a couple of rides. These are Motion Simulators. Similar to the 4D Cinema, there are multiple films to select from, each with their own excitement rating. Two should suffice for now!

Our first shop of the Lost Future also makes an appearance. Originally suggested by resident Cardassian PoptartsNinja, we present the Grub Dispenser! Protein rich rations for everyone! You can probably guess which snack food this is based upon after inspecting the color choices of the building.

The Motion simulator building is also further detailed. I was going to put a roof on this, but I'll probably keep it open air. That'll break up some of the giant concrete shapes we have so far.

The new food court isn't complete though - we still need a drink stop, merchandise, an info booth, and some restrooms.

:psylon: Let's turn to the thread for some ideas! :psylon:

1) The drink shop. My best concept so far is a Liquids Laboratory with a boba tea shop inside. Any other ideas?
2) We need either an umbrella shop or a balloon shop. Any sci-fi inspiration for either of those?

In our next update, I'll add both of those, along with some of our first major rides for the endless winter.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

No ideas on the drinks

For umbrellas, maybe brand them as energy shields? Shame the game doesn't have an option for transparent umbrellas, those would work great for that.

I like the open roof on the simulators, it looks like a landing pad. Maybe you could stripe it up as one? And if this area is a fort that could be attacked by aliens/robots/the galactic empire, maybe name them The Evacuation and say the film is basically the battle of Hoth from a dude on the transport's perspective?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Soylent Cola? Or maybe a Dehydrated Water stand?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Drinks shop: boba tea, called Nutrient something. Clone Vat Nutrient Supplement?

Umbrellas: Anti-Fluidic Weave Camouflage Matrix :techno:

Balloons: Anti-Gravity Spheroid Companion :lovewcc:

E: for boba, how about Android Nutri-slurry?

Space Caviar?.:zoid:

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Aug 9, 2023

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I second Soylent Cola.

I also think Threads might be a fun movie to watch in 4D, so could you please add that to the cinema sign?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
My two cents on the balloon and drink shops are that they are Alien tourist traps. Gotta fund the resistance somehow! Or maybe our new alien overlords bulldozed us to put up a park.

Either way the drinks are "famous earth drinks, now with the [made up word] [alien species] loves!" In reality they are probably just the old standbys but with a different color mix. Is coca cola still delicious when its colored yellow?

The balloons are made up with fancy designs to look like little alien bathyspheres. Little eyes staring out of the darkness. Or maybe an entirely too fancy toy on the inside. "Customs" will take them back into custody if the buyer wishes, and will forward on a little story about how much the alien liked their trip.

The umbrellas are frozen aliens. On their home planet they can ride breezes and fly, but earth isn't quite suitable. A fleshy looking semi transparent covering, with notable but rounded off hooks. Probably not a tan color in case you want pterodactyl umbrellas in the relevant area. A little squawker when the umbrella is deployed if we feel really fancy.

Also I know that popcorn shop doesn't sell puffcorn but it should.