Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Parkitect is an amusement park management simulator. If you've played Rollercoaster Tycoon, you'll recognize a lot of the systems. One of the fresh mechanics in Parkitect is that guests care about immersion. They want decor, and they don't want to see unadorned services out in the open. As such, the game rewards you for theming your rides and buildings.

Wikipedia
Official Site
Steam
SA Theme Park Games Thread (the thread in which I learned about this game recently!)

In this LP, I'll be building a theme park based around the apocalypse. Why not have some fun with humanity's impending extinction? Rides and sections of the park will be based on different ways the world ends, providing tons of edutainment for the whole family.

What to expect

I'll be playing a custom-made scenario, with fairly easy difficulty settings. It's not quite a sandbox, as I'll still have to adhere to game mechanics (guests won't enjoy having puddles of vomit at their feet). There are lots of campaign maps in Parkitect, but they're fairly small and feel ephemeral. I wanted to invest more time and creativity into a project, hence the groundbreaking of this park. The park will be very barebones at first, and is largely an undeveloped canvas. Over time, park districts will be better connected and cohesive in their scenery.

With each post I'll be showing off screenshots of new and upcoming attractions, the build process, and what went into the creative design. Maybe we will stalk a guest for a while. If there are any especially rad coasters, we might see a first-person capture of it. Expect explanations of game mechanics as needed, alongside any scientific/historical explanations of the cataclysms depicted. Feel free to ask questions, and I'll try my best to cover it in a subsequent post!

Also, participation is encouraged! If you have ideas for attractions or restaurants, post about it. No promises on whether it'll be included, but I'm sure it'll inspire some ideas and discussion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Reserved for a table of contents or something

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Let's start at the beginning!

Most Parkitect maps are based on a single biome. For example, repurposing a movie studio in a desert, or revitalizing an unsuccessful ski resort. In the case of my apocalypse map, I wanted to include multiple biomes. That meant creating my own scenario with a map large enough to support them.

The game provides a scenario editor, allowing you to craft a map from scratch.

The game offers plenty of tools for topographical variation, different flora, and other settings to make your park feel more alive. I chose to start my map with flat grasslands, molding it from a completely blank slate.

Once I got the right dimensions (250 x 250 squares) and elevation levels, the districts needed to be planned. It made sense to establish the central landmark of the park, and then design each district along a different spoke.

A massive impact crater seems like the best choice for a central landmark. It's round and doesn't block line of sight for the guests.

Right now, I'm not worried about perfecting the shape of the crater. Once I actually break ground on some of the associated attractions, I'll do another landscaping pass. And then probably another.

Some rocks and plants are placed inside, along with a small waterfall. Mostly I'm just experimenting with visual effects, seeing what might work in the area.

Our next stop after the crater are the Wastelands! Inside you'll find
- The sunken metropolis, to warn against the dangers of a rising sea level. Will feature a submarine ride and some kind of skyscraper gravity drop.
- The parched dunes, representing rising heat and water scarcity. Go Carts can be found here.
- Nuclear glassed desert, with some kind of junker town to serve mystery meat treats.

Next to it, you'll see an ash-covered area that will represent seismic activity.

Rotating further along the crater wheel, we visit two more areas:

Lost Future, which includes both an alien invasion and machine uprisings. Winter weather seemed appropriate for this.

The Divine Battleground, which includes mythological cataclysms. Armageddon will be heavily represented here, because Hail Satan. Expect to see a dueling angel/demon coaster. Might also include some Ragnarok.

Lastly, we have our island regions!

The muddy islands are the voodoo swamps. This area will include extinction events related to pestilence and evil magic, such as zombie outbreaks. It'll also include a massive wooden coaster.

The more tropical island will be dedicated to eldritch horrors and kaiju.

Here's a close-up of the structure in the swamplands. Each park in this game has a supply depot, where cargo arrives before you sell it to guests. I decided that cargo arrives to this park by boat. This is my act of defiance against automobiles.

Guests don't want to see these kinds of structures - they ruin their immersion. As such, it's been decorated to hide its true purpose. As long as I don't put any paths back there, no visitor will ever see how the sausage is made. Instead, I'll keep them near the front of this hut, where I eventually put a couple of themed restaurants.

The grassy roof was achieved by placing and coloring multiple bushes in sloping patterns.

Obviously, there's a lot of work to do inside the park itself. For now, I've been building up the park entrance. Why only decorate the inside of the park? Why not go for the whole immersive experience?

In the above screenshot, this is the main roadway leading into the guest parking lot. I've setup a picnic area outside of the park, inspired by Six Flags over Texas. This is where all the thrifty people eat, instead of spending 15$ on a corndog in the park. You can also see a security booth, which will eventually lead into the services area of my park. I setup some large wooden catwalks to move people over the main entry road. The game only simulates vehicular manslaughter INSIDE of the park, but I like to build thoughtful infrastructure regardless.

Our last stop on the intro tour is the actual park entrance! The main gate is a single asset, and I built two side structures to match its style. The H shaped building is the main ticket queue, with a separate VIP or special events line. An admin building sits across the way from it. I also built a large pavilion out front. People need a shady spot to blow massive vape plumes.

For now, the park is named FunPocalypse. The park hasn't been opened, so the name is subject to change - especially if some poster has a clever suggestion! Also, let me know if there are any major world-ending events I forgot to include.

What's next? I'll be showing off more of the entrance area, and the construction of a few beginner rides.

DarkLich fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Jul 10, 2023

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

aParkalypse?

Anyway, looks interesting and I've never seen this played seriously, so I'll follow along.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

This does look pretty cool! Looking forward to seeing how it goes.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Will the nuclear wasteland serve real nuka-cola?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
What is the likelihood that things will go wrong and you end up causing an extinction event of the park and everyone inside of it?

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

NewMars posted:

Will the nuclear wasteland serve real nuka-cola?

I'm still deciding how overt the pop-culture references will be. It may not be called Nuka-Cola exactly, but you will know that its Nuka-Cola. Overall though, yes, expect homages to Fallout and Mad Max in this district!

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

What is the likelihood that things will go wrong and you end up causing an extinction event of the park and everyone inside of it?

Parkitect doesn't simulate cascading, catastrophic failures very well. For that, you might want to check out the Jurassic World Evolution series of games. Besides some familiar voice acting, they're pretty middling games. But it does deliver on carnage!

Things going wrong in this park will include food poisoning, roving vandals, and coaster crashes. The latter results in guest deaths, but it probably won't occur at a level that'll extinguish the lives of everyone in the park.

Alas, this is only a glimpse into our potential future cataclysms, and is not expected to be a participation event.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

DarkLich posted:

it probably won't occur at a level that'll extinguish the lives of everyone in the park.

try harder. :colbert:

(kidding, do your thing)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Maybe this LP will get me to finally start this baby up and play along...

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Park Lore

It always helps in my creative process to have a story. So I figure this park should have some history - why did it spring up around the crater?

The Coffin family claimed this territory two centuries ago, making little use of it. In the 1960s, Jedidiah Coffin wanted to transform it into a tourist trap. He built a museum to showcase his fossils of long-dead species. In the decades since, Jed setup a few new attractions, but never committed to a full-blown amusement park. In his old age, Jed eventually sold the land to professional developers. A deal was struck, but with one condition: the park stay true to its roots in educating about threats to human civilization.

The Original Attraction

In the following set of screenshots, I'll cover my process for designing a ride. This focuses more on the aesthetics and guest experience, and less on the gameplay mechanics of placing tracks. I'll cover those when we get to more exciting construction projects, like roller coasters. Let's start with Jedidiah's museum.

Just beyond the main gates, the guests will see their first landmark. It needs to have some interesting architecture, and should be large enough to house a guided tour. I experiment with placing some tracks of a basic ride, then surround it with test architecture. A mix of art deco and classical seems to be working so far.

Unfortunately, Parkitect doesn't support museum tours, so I have to get creative.

Using the game menu to hide the scenery, you'll see the tracks I've placed. This is a "Car Ride" that you'll find at many theme parks. Riders are not restrained in the vehicle, which forces them to move slowly with no banked turns or real excitement. Very gentle stuff, perfect for a museum at the front of the park. You always put your less intense rides at the front of the park, as most guests will be moving past them to access the coasters.

You might notice a few grey 'tubes' surrounding the tracks. These appear whenever a track ride intersects with terrain. In past theme park sim games, you usually had to fiddle with the terrain a lot until they had perfect alignment - and only then could you make a tunnel. Parkitect skips this hassle and just automatically surrounds conflicting tracks with the tunnel. It can be ugly sometimes, but it isn't too difficult to cover it with decor.

Toggling the view again, we can see that the car ride does another loop through the "basement" of the museum. Alas, the basement exists only in our imaginations. Since it's going to be covered up by the main museum building, there's no reason to actually design it.

The red path is the queue line, guiding guests from park paths to the ride station. For now its just a placeholder against other building elements.

As I fully enclose the museum, a couple sections are left visible. This gives us a chance to see what the guests are enjoying on their tour.

Eventually, the building is complete! I leave a few sections clear for additional detailing, but it looks like a museum, so I am happy with it. Dinosaur skulls line the accent of the building, giving it a bit more distinctive personality (credit to this Youtuber)

I'm undecided on the color scheme, so it may change depending on thread feedback. I wanted an oxidized copper blue, but it's awfully close to minty.

After placing a few trees and shrubs around the building, I start fine-detailing the ride cutaways. This museum teaches about the five mass extinctions that have visited earth in the past, so it should include some visuals. Here we see trilobites and coral through an underwater section of the tour.

The coral is some color-shifted plants. The trilobite is made from basic shapes of different colors. They're pretty tiny overall - you can see the building next to them for scale.

In the rear window of the museum, we setup some larger statues. A plesiosaur is suspended from the ceiling for an aquatic diorama. It's a whale asset, but since the camera angle will never let us see its face, we can pretend its a prehistoric sea monster instead.

The ankylosaur sits on a sandy pedestal. This fella was pieced together from a bunch of basic shapes, much like the trilobite.

At last, the first major detailing pass is complete. I put a few AC units on the roof, just to break up the color and shape. These don't actually affect the game in any meaningful way, I just like the way it looks.

Of course, detailing is a job that's never finished, so I may add more to this later. The roof could use some more decoration, such as a dome or some hobby planters.

Each ride has its own stats. In this case, the car ride achieved some very high marks. It's not quite a roller coaster's level of excitement, but it's clear that all the decorating really paid off.

Additionally, since the ride is fully enclosed, it will get a popularity bonus when it's raining or storming! Looks like the first ride will be quite dependable as a crowd pleaser.

~

Coming up next, we will create a few essential amenities, such as restrooms and an information kiosk. Just a couple more projects left until we have a foundation to open the park and herald the public's demise!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Ah hell yeah, a parkitect lp! And with a fun theme!

Akratic Method posted:

aParkalypse?

Anyway, looks interesting and I've never seen this played seriously, so I'll follow along.

I'm glad I'm not the only person whose mind immediately jumped there.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I want to make a Crete-acious link park where you can have mount olympus and like... Helios' chariot as a ride, and so on. Water attractions inspired by Poseidon, wooly mammoth tundras.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I want to make a Crete-acious link park where you can have mount olympus and like... Helios' chariot as a ride, and so on. Water attractions inspired by Poseidon, wooly mammoth tundras.

Hell yeah, do it! Also, that reminds me - this game has elephant statues. I wonder if I can dress them up to look like mammoths and stick them outside the museum!

Also on that note, what are some other park ideas everyone would like to see?

Before settling on the end-of-times, I also considered doing a Pokemon themed park. It would be divided into 8 districts, each based on a different type, and with its own 'gym challenge' coaster.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Duel Park, devoted to every form of dueling throughout the ages and media. Lightsaber duels, normal sword duels, pistol duels, sniper duels, and so on.

Every ride is dueling, of course. Even the flat rides.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
No suggestions, but eagerly subscribing. I enjoy parchitect, and it will be neat to see someone else doing something like this!

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
First District Transition

Now that we have our first main attraction and landmark, the park needs some essential services. Bathrooms and an info kiosk to start. Those will go near the entrance. Simultaneously, I'd like to build towards the supply harbor in the voodoo swamp.

There's also a placeholder monorail station. This mass transit bad boy probably won't be ready for a while, but I'd like to know where to build paths around it. This also goes near the entrance, so it can take guests deeper into the massive park.

Buildings are plopped down, and trees nearby whoosh at the speed of its construction. This is an info kiosk, and it sells only one item. I usually raise the price a bit on these - they're also souvenirs, after all!

The kiosk is dwarfed by the massive museum next to it, as the scales are a little off. It also deserves a nice home to match the theme.

Also, most buildings require haulers to deliver goods to your park businesses. The info booth does not have this requirement, so it doesn't need to be placed near a supply depot.

You can see the info kiosk inside its new, larger building. There's also a shaded veranda around the main structure, where visitors can get rest and get their bearings.

In trying to match the nearby building, I figure out that I'll probably go with a classical theme for the entrance area.

Restrooms rooms are placed nearby, also plopped down on a single tile. I attach a purely decorative storage building nearby. It's full of toiletries and boxes of prophylactics for the restroom wall dispensers.

A couple of mammoth statues are setup in front of the museum. These are elephant statues, but I placed white-colored bushes inside the models for the appearance of fur.

With some rocks and foliage, the area is coming together nicely. The smaller buildings don't need to be as extravagant as the museum up - only one eye catching landmark is needed at a time.

The bridge to the neighboring district is constructed next. An 'evil eye' motif is repeated, constructed from building trims and wagon wheels. A massive sign awaits for whenever I figure out the official name of the teeming swamps.

This part is really exciting for me, because I get to flex some different trees and architecture styles. If I get bored in one district, I can switch back to another.

At this point, I also notice that all sloped paths are stairs. No ramps seem to exist. I decide to create some out of other parts, and install them near stairs.

Even if the game doesn't simulate people with disabilities, it's important to consider them in all designs. Everyone should have access. If you see any non-accessible areas in my parks, please let me know!

In the swamp, I decide to build some food & drink shops near the supply harbor. It'll be easy for haulers to transport goods there. You can see the short distance represented in the dashed lines. The Hot Drinks stall sells two different items, and needs extra supplies to function.

My goal for this building is a bit more of a witches hut. It's connected to a patio built around a massive tree. This will be a seating area for guests as they nourish themselves.

The coffee shop is complete. Some additional trees are placed behind it, further blocking line of sight to the ugly machinery that keeps the park running.

The roof is a cone with flat discs placed inside of it. It was my best attempt at making it look like wobbly thatch. Not sure if I'll keep the grass accents - it might be overkill.

The first transition between park districts is complete! There's more detailing to be done, but that will come after more rides and shops are placed!

And on that note - :siren: thread input requested! :siren: we need a flat ride and a food shop for the voodoo island. If you have any clever ideas, please share!

Once those are added, I'll open the park and play voyeur on our first guests.

DarkLich fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jul 12, 2023

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oh this looks interesting. And quite skilled building as well. :toot:

Hmmm, maybe a boat ride around the island(s)? I'm not certain what flat rides are available. And apart from something silly like deep fried voodoo dolls or zombie burgers I can't think of anything.
Will the Fallout area sell Nuka-Pepsi instead? Or is that too terrible?

If you wish to know more about ridiculously huge extinction level volcano eruptions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st_2C_Wrw4A (part 1, 16min)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrbdYcNTo7Y (part 2, 16min)

Poil fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 12, 2023

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Maybe this LP will get me to finally start this baby up and play along...

It's a fun game mostly but you get really tired of the maps being either kinda samey or just taking so long in the campaign. I got to the one covered in trash with a bunch of expensive giant transport rides and my eyes glassed over just thinking about cleaning it up.

I still mostly had fun though and can recommend it as a fun timewaster, especially if you are better at making custom rides than me.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The boat transportation ride does seem pretty good for this, but doesn't provide excitement. Maybe a ghost ride for a zombie "safari"?

Turkey Legs as Cadaver Candies :unsmigghh:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It could be done as a water coaster if we want something more thrilling.

A haunted house also seems really on point for voodoo zombie land.

And for shops, if we want to play off stereotypes, we can have a sacrificial chicken turkey legs stand.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Poil posted:

Oh this looks interesting. And quite skilled building as well. :toot:

Hmmm, maybe a boat ride around the island(s)? I'm not certain what flat rides are available. And apart from something silly like deep fried voodoo dolls or zombie burgers I can't think of anything.
Will the Fallout area sell Nuka-Pepsi instead? Or is that too terrible?

If you wish to know more about ridiculously huge extinction level volcano eruptions:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st_2C_Wrw4A (part 1, 16min)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrbdYcNTo7Y (part 2, 16min)

Thank you for the compliment and the links. I'll see if I can include something from these videos once I build the volcanic area! Also, I'll post a list of the flat rides when I next take screenshots.

Voodoo dolls is also a good idea - maybe if I have space, I can do a big cotton candy effigy for a stall.

Speaking of Nuka-Pepsi: since disease is also a theme of the swamp, the drink booth almost received the name "Sepsi", but figured that's too far into the unappetizing.

evilmiera posted:

I got to the one covered in trash with a bunch of expensive giant transport rides and my eyes glassed over just thinking about cleaning it up.

That was the only stage I failed on, because it starts off so unfun. I appreciated their stage callbacks to earlier RCTs, but this was one they should've skipped or toned down.

Volmarias posted:

The boat transportation ride does seem pretty good for this, but doesn't provide excitement. Maybe a ghost ride for a zombie "safari"?

You're right on the boat transportation; it's not the most exciting as a follow-up to the museum tour. Eventually though, it definitely makes sense to have a boat ride between the two island districts! I'll add that later, once both areas are more fleshed out.

FoolyCharged posted:

A haunted house also seems really on point for voodoo zombie land.

And for shops, if we want to play off stereotypes, we can have a sacrificial chicken turkey legs stand.

Haunted house or zombie safari are solid choices. The haunted house is a large asset that doesn't match the current aesthetics, but that just makes it a fun decorating challenge!

The turkey leg suggestions are good too. I might save the sacrifice-related food until we reach the neighboring island district, which will have a temple to the old gods. Maybe we go with "Chicken from the Other Side"? Includes themes of necromancy and references the classic joke. Might be a mouthful though.

Also, thanks for bringing up stereotypes! I'm going to stay away from anything too overt here. No need to appropriate specific cultures or patois while building an evil, diseased swamp. If I can be slightly less offensive then Blizzard writers in 2011, then I'll feel accomplished.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

DarkLich posted:

And on that note - :siren: thread input requested! :siren: we need a flat ride and a food shop for the voodoo island. If you have any clever ideas, please share!

Food shop has to be something that sells fried insects (maybe a popcorn stand equivalent?). They're nutritious and full of protein!

Is there a flat ride that could emulate a zombie escape run through the bayou on land, over sea (via an airboat dock), and culminating in a simulated 'escape' via a seaplane? (or just an "escape" via airboat if that's not feasible)?

Maybe something equivalent to RCT2's Go Carts?

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
First Rollercoaster

Before we get to the highlight of this post, I wanted to talk about the haunted house that was suggested. The style doesn't exactly match the swamp themes I've got going so far. Covering it up is possible, but that would also make it as tall as the museum and taller than the depot. The alternative to covering it up is also partially burying it. If the flat ride platform is sunken beneath the ground, I have less to cover up. Maybe I could even make it themed around a burial mound so that my gameplay-cheese is partially justified.

The screenshot also includes a list of all flat rides in the 'thrill' category. These range from medium to high intensity. The haunted house is actually considered a 'gentle' ride, so assuming we add that, this district will still need a thrill ride of some kind. I'm noodling on a couple of ideas, but happy to entertain other suggestions!

Separately, I've also updated the hot drinks shot in the top of the screenshot. I wanted to make it more obviously a cafe. The mug is a basket model with a giant cookie asset inside. Looks close enough.

But I know what you all really want, you filthy animals. It's time for some coaster content!

For the swamps, I knew I wanted to include a wooden coaster. I grew up with the Texas Giant, and fell in love the intense scaffolding and how it left you a bit battered. I was struck with a specific inspiration for this coaster, and it requires some elements that a regular wooden coaster can't support. So I opt for the hybrid version with steel supports.

When building a tracked ride, you're given a new menu for sizes, slopes, and other coaster elements. Every coaster has its own range of elements. Junior coasters have less steep slopes, only steel coasters can support crazy loops, and so forth. In this case, I start with a short drop to speed the coaster-cars towards the chain. The chain ramp is opposite of the tracks because I want the tallest part facing the coast/parking lot area, where I can put up some signage later.

I should also mention the loading station at this point. Generally, the longer your loading station, the more coaster-cars you can support. I opt for ten stations which should let me support two very large trains.

The steep drop leads into the water for now, but I'll fix it later by turning it into a proper tunnel. When the coaster is turning at a high speed, it's wise to bank the turns. You can see that I'm ending the bank in the radial part of the building menu.

A coaster-car ghost also appears. This moves even while on pause. It helps inform the player as to their coaster performance - very handy for making sure it can climb up the next hill. Height markers are also visible, which help you guess at whether you have enough velocity.

Double loops are added. These are strategically placed near the front of the coaster so that I can make an enticing landmark near the entrance.

The newest curve on the coaster doesn't need to be banked, as the car speed is heavily reduced by that point.

The coaster is nearly complete, and I just need to connect the track back to the station. A few elements to mention first though:

First, I've put a barrel roll in the middle. You'll notice it bends upwards a bit. These slopes are important coaster elements, because they provide the feeling of flight for the rider. If they rotate 360' while flying, well that's even better!

Second, I like to 'nest' the switchbacks on my wooden coasters. This creates some cool visual effects as you setup different tiers of elevation. It's also more thrilling for the rider as they pass through narrow supports.

I complete the coaster and add my main set piece - a giant skull rock. Not only does the coaster loop through its eye-sockets, but it also does a barrel roll through its hollow core.

I've also connected the coaster track back to the station, behind the skull. You'll notice one of the tracks has a special brake on it. This is a block brake. Whether you use a block brake or gravity to slow down the coaster, it's important to make sure it doesn't enter the station going 60 miles per hour. If station brakes fail for some reason, that could get messy for all trains involved.

I take advantage of the nested scaffolding and start putting zombies on it. Zombies aren't in the assets, but recolored skeletons work well enough. Models are limited for the skeletons, but I want to create the appearance that they're climbing the wooden supports.

Also, I experiment with color patterns on the coaster. As much as I like the bone white, the zombies just didn't contrast well from it.

Queues are also setup, so that guests can reach the coaster station. This is an alternate map view which can help when building in tighter spaces.

I like to build maintenance bays next to the coaster stations. You'll find these on real life versions. While it isn't mechanically required for the game, I think it gives more foundation and personality to the coaster's presence.

The coaster is decorated with trees and torches, and now it's ready to open. Still thinking of a name, but I'll probably lean towards "Zombie Queen" or "Queen of the Dead", since the giant skull has a bit of a crown thing going on.

In the next post, I'll add the swamp eatery and a thrill ride. That'll cover all of our park basics, at which point we can OFFICIALLY open the gates to guests.

DarkLich fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 13, 2023

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

PoptartsNinja posted:

Food shop has to be something that sells fried insects (maybe a popcorn stand equivalent?). They're nutritious and full of protein!

Is there a flat ride that could emulate a zombie escape run through the bayou on land, over sea (via an airboat dock), and culminating in a simulated 'escape' via a seaplane? (or just an "escape" via airboat if that's not feasible)?

Maybe something equivalent to RCT2's Go Carts?

The fried insects idea is great. I might save it for the Lost Future district. Folks can enjoy a nice bag of freshly fried protein grubs from the sustenance-banks.

As for the escape: There's a swinging ship ride, but I'm saving that for the elder gods temple. More thematically fitting for a monster-from-the-deeps to be tussling with your boat. Go Carts will be in the nuclear wastelands, so we can go full throttle into Mad Max references. I think there's a plane carousel? I'll see how that looks in the swamp area.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Can you develop a drop tower into a "Feel like a Meteor" ride?

Also, raise your hand if you've worked in/for an amusement park. *raises hand*

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

How about adding a The Stars Are Right :cthulhu: Flyer

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jul 14, 2023

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

berryjon posted:

Can you develop a drop tower into a "Feel like a Meteor" ride?

There are at least three drop towers in the game. Two are reserved for the Armageddon and Sunken Metropolis zones.

So yeah, a meteor fall thing could work! There's also some coasters with vertical drops that might achieve the same goal.

Volmarias posted:

How about adding a The Stars Are Right :cthulhu: Flyer

Ooo I like that. Still haven't decided which of the Great Old Ones I'm going to feature at their temple.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I really like the giant skull and the looping eyes.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

this thread is really cool. I don't even know where to begin with building stuff in games like this or rollercoaster tycoon 1/2, and you're out here making it look easy. hell yeah

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
The Park Opens

It's almost time to face the apocalypse. First, though, we finish a few shops!

First, a candy shop for the macabre, taken from a thread suggestion! There are a lot of assets around giant candy. I'm not sure how well they fit into themes of the end times, unless you count the obesity epidemics. So I'll be looking for every opportunity to use them! The store name is later shorted to better fit on the sign.

Turkey/Chicken legs were also suggested earlier, so I tinkered with the concepts a little bit for the swamp's main eater. Figured this place would also have a mudbrick oven. The seating area wraps around to the water. Note - there aren't actually seating areas or restaurants officially. But people will typically find a nearby bench when they're chowing down.

This is an example of a flat ride. Except for the queue lines, there's very few options to customize these. You can decorate them, but generally the ride will always function the same with no variation in stats.

Since we already have a gentle ride with the Museum Tour, I choose a thrill flat ride for the swamp. One of these rides matches the evil eye motif, so that seems like the best option.

I don't really like this location, though. Fortunately, Parkitect is really good about full refunds, and gives a generous amount of time before prorating it. This doesn't matter since I'm still editing the scenario, but it's nice later when you aren't punished for second guessing your ride placement.

I instead move this to the main entry island, in full view of the food court. Friends and family that are too squeamish for this ride might watch their loved ones from afar, shoveling candy into their mouths.

A massive sack-doll effigy is built next to it. Contrary to popular belief, "voodoo dolls" are not actually associated with voodoo. The effigy better matches a poppet , but "Poppet" is a terrible name for a ride. For now the working title is "Tormentor", but I'm happy to hear other suggestions.

You may also notice that the excitement rating has gone up, compared to the previous screenshot of the same flat ride. Decorations really boost the excitement level of any ride - so styling things up is worthwhile!

At this point, we have all of the essentials:
- Gentle ride
- Thrill ride
- Coaster
- Bathrooms
- Food & Drink

It's time to save the scenario, and open the park to guests! If you want a copy of the scenario in this current state, please let me know and I'll upload it to steam.

Our first guest arrives to aParkalypse. They are named Ruth Bass, and are both generous and grumpy. I have no clue how these might affect their in-game behaviors, but maybe we will find out?

Every guest has different stats and inventory. We'll snoop through someone's pockets when they've had more time to do things in the park though.

We should also hire a few employees to service the park. Roles include janitors, haulers, mechanics, security guards, and entertainers. I'll hire one of each, except for the entertainer.

For now, I'll talk about haulers. Most shops require supplies to function. Haulers lug around heavy boxes between your supply depot and the shops. Because no guests want to see the sweat and labor that's creating their park experience, we hide these haulers behind park scenery.

Every employee tires out and will need to take a breather eventually. I should consider building a break room for them, probably in this same area, since it'll be a hub of activity.

If you want any employees or guests named after you, post and let me know! We will favorite them, and check-in later.

~

Coming up next, we return to the entrance area for more rides and decoration. We're not done in the swamps - I'd eventually like to do a zombie safari and a zoonotic / plague coaster. But we need to keep expanding towards the crater, so that we can branch out to other districts in the park.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Boris P. Demille reporting for work!
What do you mean janitor? I'm a certified custodial technician!

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

can I be a janitor, please and thank you :buddy:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Volunteering to be a mechanic!

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
We CLEARLY need an entertainer then. Just round out the list.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Please put Rocky Babydoll down for security duty please.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
I would like to be a grumpy guest please Red Fred!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Well since one apocalypse will be the night of the Lepus, we should have some bunny security. Sign me up as a security guard

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Most thrill ride designs in these games seem so boring and uncreative to me. This one spins. This one rotates. This one spins AND rotates. This one also spins and rotates. This one... well it also spins and rotates but in a slightly different way! Wow!

Anyway, I'd like to sign up as an employee of some kind, not sure what but preferably something that can be stretched into a bad pun with my forum name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

That's kinda true of real thrill rides, though. You've got the ones on tracks, and you can make interesting tracks, but the rest basically just spin, maybe spin again in an epicycle, and possibly swing.