Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Vampire Panties posted:

Why would they build new ones differently?

Because there aren't using all that infrastructure?

They're already different anyway as the self checkout zones exist and regular lanes are very different in design than 20+ years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

So you remember in the 90s the scanners were those giant asterisk mark full of red lasers and they still had to scan everything 2 or 3 times to get it to read?

It took forever to check out.

Now I can scan my own groceries and pay extra because gently caress me

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
because they used to give a poo poo about having people check out faster

but then they all realized who cares if your customers get inconvenienced if we save $5.25/hr per cashier so cut em

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

still hoping for some good bedsheet recs, serious please, as much as i love a classic goku print

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life
The extra checkout aisles are there because they know that eventually the proles will reach a breaking point and riot after being forced to self checkout through 2 kiosks after waiting in the kind of line that used to be reserved for roller coasters. But they're going to keep the other 18 lanes closed until that time.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Purchase posted:

still hoping for some good bedsheet recs, serious please, as much as i love a classic goku print

Just go to the shop and rub them on your face. See if they feel good.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Bamboo sheets are nice and cool imo

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I never use the self checkout lanes. I also still have all my bills mailed to me, paper like, to support the local Forest Industry.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Because you dont want to have the same four cash register tills be constantly used the entire day

If you had two people work register 1, two people work register 2, and so on, you can count the register between shifts and cut down on employee theft

I only ever saw one or two employees try to take money from the till, but they got caught fairly quickly

naem
May 29, 2011

Mnoba posted:

you can get your groceries online now and they bring them out and put them in your trunk for free, you are welcome you decrepit boomer goons

this is so great, I buy in bulk and go inside for 1 or two random things occasionally, and only if I’m in the mood now

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

rotinaj posted:

Because you dont want to have the same four cash register tills be constantly used the entire day

If you had two people work register 1, two people work register 2, and so on, you can count the register between shifts and cut down on employee theft

I only ever saw one or two employees try to take money from the till, but they got caught fairly quickly

I always ask for a fresh one

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wee posted:

I always ask for a fresh one

You will get your till when i finish counting it and the more you bother me, the slower it will happen

Go bag for one of the other lanes until i am done

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Because grocery stores are an abomination to mankind, op.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

GolfHole posted:

Because grocery stores are an abomination to mankind, op.

LIke if you're not hunting and gathering for yourself, what are you?

Savage For The Winjun
Jun 27, 2008

Op must not be going to market basket because those places are packed

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
its fun creating that line between your customers and your employees. pointing em at eachother and making em go to war

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Mangosteens were $27/kg at a place I went to today

I got 1kg of yellow squash for $1 instead.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

One of my super powers: I make whatever line I choose slow down relative to the other lines I could have chosen.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

why are there so many different kinds of oreos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cassette Moodcore
May 4, 2022

In the self checkout, everything is a banana