Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

It’s very confusing to me.

The obvious answer that comes to mind is “they’ll need them all on holidays” but even around thanksgiving and christmas they have like 6 of them open instead of 2. Out of like 20. What’s the point of having so many?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
To piss you off OP

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Every grocery store I go to will have every checkout going even just on a friday afternoon have you considered that perhaps your local economy is crap?

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

reignonyourparade posted:

Every grocery store I go to will have every checkout going even just on a friday afternoon have you considered that perhaps your local economy is crap?

Unlikely. I’m in the greater boston area.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
To remind us how small we are. How easily they could crush us if they wanted to. We tell ourselves that this is something they've done to us. But ultimately, we make a choice every second to live this way.

Also, they sometimes have to close lanes for maintenance.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i don't know, wizard master, maybe it's because grocery stores are designed from a high-level perspective around maximum customer flowthrough instead of how many underpaid cashiers might be available in shitsville, usa for the overnight shift

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Buce posted:

i don't know, wizard master, maybe it's because grocery stores are designed from a high-level perspective around maximum customer flowthrough instead of how many underpaid cashiers might be available in shitsville, usa for the overnight shift

Can you explain more?

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i think they used to have to have more lines open before self checkout but now they dont?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
If you think about it, groceries are a type of stores, so why don’t they call them stores stores?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

they have 6 lanes stocked with the 0.5mm pencil lead refills for your BIC mechanical pencil, 6 with the 0.7mm pencil lead, and then the self-checkout aisle has some of the 0.9mm for the FREAKS

you sort yourself into lanes accordingly

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
symmetry or something, to make it seem like such an important place with such high quality goods many, many people will be forming Big Lines on all 25 lanes at a time, these items are Priced To Move

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
also guys, what's the deal with airline peanuts?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
up your butt and around the corner OP

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
serious answer: think about how difficult it is to expand a highway right as it's needed, rather than planning for it way ahead of time

having it there = very small impact on bottom line
filling it with an employee = impacts the bottom line

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i'm thinking it's time to replace my favorite bedsheets, there's a little hole worn in one spot now

thing is, it's been so long since i've shopped for sheets i don't really know what brands/products are good and which are poo poo anymore

anyone got suggestions? i live in a humid hot state, and even though i have A/C, i'd still prefer something that feels cool and doesn't trap heat/moisture if that helps. i know high thread count is better, but i've felt some sheets that were supposedly like 1000 thread count that still felt scratchy and stiff, so i don't know what to trust

any thoughts goons? hoping to get some fresh sheets and maybe matching pillow cases into a checkout line soon.

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

If you think about it, groceries are a type of stores, so why don’t they call them stores stores?

:psyboom:

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Use them.

Whats the reason of self check out? Profits over people.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

pencilhands posted:

Can you explain more?

nope

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

why are hot dogs sold in packs of 10 but buns sold in packs of 8???

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

numberoneposter posted:

1 for biden, 1 for the dog

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

pencilhands posted:

Looks like I’m moving.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

same reason they have massive parking lots that never seem to fill up: it makes the store seem less busy so people are more inclined to just stop by.

the idea is people see all the empty parking spaces/unused lines and think "oh good it's not too busy so i have time to make a quick stop". companies like Target will hold city councils hostage with demands like "we won't move there unless you give us a massive space for parking" and coward city councils give in.

RavenousScoot
Mar 22, 2013

promises that won't be delivered on, as usual

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

i'm thinking it's time to replace my favorite bedsheets, there's a little hole worn in one spot now

https://youtube.com/shorts/6v_gmWRz38s

But seriously, get 100% cotton (no matter what the brand), anything else gets sweaty.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

pencilhands posted:

GO SOX!

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Or if you’re into the whole brevity thing, grocers

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

IT IS THE END TIMES....

And every grocery aisle is maxed out, allowing Americans to obtain much needed End of the World supplies most efficiently.....

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
you can get your groceries online now and they bring them out and put them in your trunk for free, you are welcome you decrepit boomer goons

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Yea, but they give you the worst produce. Gotta get in there and bruise all their peaches and then not buy any

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

At least here they were all built a decade ago or more and they used to actually have 6 to 8 clerks.

Even then there were closed lines.

Now it's 1 clerk manning the single tobacco line and maybe 1 other lane open. The rest is just self checkout.

I expect stores in the future won't be building 24 checkout lines at new locations.

E: you stupid gently caress

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mnoba posted:

you can get your groceries online now and they bring them out and put them in your trunk for free, you are welcome you decrepit boomer goons

Hmm yes I love the worst meat and produce as well as each item in a separate plastic bag

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

each item in a separate plastic bag

God drat this is infuriating.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

I love when I get to smell strangers at the grocery store. Really engages all my senses in the shopping experience.

Too many open checkout stations takes away the best part of shopping.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

satanic splash-back posted:

I love when I get to smell strangers at the grocery store. Really engages all my senses in the shopping experience.

Too many open checkout stations takes away the best part of shopping.

I put on false odors at the grocery store for this very reason.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
Real answer: a long time ago, grocery stores didn't have barcode scanners. This required the clerk to manually punch in codes for literally everything. This took time. To accomodate for the time this took, grocery store opened up additional checkout aisles. :ssh: IIRC this used to be the delineator between a grocery store and a supermarket :ssh:

pencilhands answer: because the original cardinal Grocery Store, opened by Alfred E. Grocery, was opened with lanes spanning across the side of the building because it was converted from the troughs at a pig slaughterhouse. The Grocery Store Cartel enforces this design throughout all grocery stores, both as a threat and a promise to its customers.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Vampire Panties posted:

Real answer: a long time ago, grocery stores didn't have barcode scanners. This required the clerk to manually punch in codes for literally everything. This took time. To accomodate for the time this took, grocery store opened up additional checkout aisles. :ssh: IIRC this used to be the delineator between a grocery store and a supermarket :ssh:

That is in no way the real answer

Most people are not shopping at antediluvian markets, these are recent constructions

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

maybealabia posted:

That is in no way the real answer

Most people are not shopping at antediluvian markets, these are recent constructions

Why would they build new ones differently?

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
OP this is GBS not a section of Reader's Digest

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bonzo posted:

OP this is GBS not a section of Reader's Digest

Hmmm. Hints from Heloise would slot right in for the 2-3 time frame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

numberoneposter posted:

I will always eat the first hot dog then and there, cold and bunless, when I open the package and I don't trust anyone who says they don't do the same.

Last one too.