Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minotaurus Rex
Feb 25, 2007

if this accounts a rockin'
don't come a knockin'
Covid was more evidence to me that in a crisis people tend toward turning against each other rather than coming together, so that was depressing. Also the way so much of society used it as an opportunity to try make megabux. Not really unexpected but didn’t do much for my view of humanity I can tell ya

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I think a lot of people did come together to help each other - it's just a bizarre crisis in which helping often meant staying at home where no one can see you.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Strategic Tea posted:

I think a lot of people did come together to help each other - it's just a bizarre crisis in which helping often meant staying at home where no one can see you.

well they did but like, factionally. i mean the way wearing masks and social distancing was immediately turned into a political/culture war issue was absolutely loving insane

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i loved to hate the truck fuckers.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Cowslips Warren posted:

this. and he would have probably won re-election easily.

all someone had to do to Trump was show him the money. Make Trump masks, make it a law you need to wear masks and get a Trump vaccine, show that you are American and not afraid of CHIIINA.

The money and votes would have rolled in.

100%, if he’d worn a mask & instructed his staff to do the same & sent them out by mail & at press conferences done nothing but introduce health experts then sit down & nod behind them, & assured us the vaccine was safe then gotten it on tv, he’d not only have won reelection but might have gotten the popular vote.

Could have framed himself with the narrative of steady leadership through the crisis & it would have blunted democrat attack lines. I mean I know he’d still do idiotic stuff in his campaign but a consistent message of “led us through plague” would be rough to counter.

81723_7
Aug 17, 2023
I wonder what August 2023 is gonna do

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
was going to see my dad last weekend when he mentioned off-handedly that he just had bronchitis, and his wife had it really bad right then, and he was upset when I canceled the meetup. Look, I mask, you don't, and you're loving sick.

Then a coworker told me the other day he hasn't smelled much of anything since catching Covid but he doesn't care.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Four out of five senses is 80%. That's still a passing grade.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I lost my sense of smell entirely for several years due to a severe head injury, and I can confirm that it wasn't that bad to deal with. It eventually came back, although it will probably never be as sharp as it was before the skull fractures.

Jecht
Jul 30, 2006

Earwicker posted:

mental healthcare. and by that i dont just mean crazy people either, i mean the professionals that are supposed to take care of us crazy people. they're all crazy now too. or just gone.

on the positive side, there's a town in the bay where i grew up that closed off its main street to car traffic and made it a pedestrian only zone so the restaurants could do outdoor seating. its stayed that way ever since and its made a massive improvement in that town. breaking down "car culture"

By "bay" do you means SF Bay Area?

They did this in SJ downtown's San Pedro Square area and I swear it's 1000% better now that the street is closed off

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

The one thing I miss as someone who still had to go to work every day during the lockdown was commuting on the Coronabahn. Few cars, no police. It was a great time.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Earwicker posted:

well they did but like, factionally. i mean the way wearing masks and social distancing was immediately turned into a political/culture war issue was absolutely loving insane

Denial is a virtue now

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I lost my sense of smell entirely for several years due to a severe head injury, and I can confirm that it wasn't that bad to deal with. It eventually came back, although it will probably never be as sharp as it was before the skull fractures.

I had oropharyngeal (back of the tongue) cancer last year and the heavy-duty chemo combined with 36 rounds of targeted radiation destroyed most of my sense of taste - I can’t taste anything sweet at all, can’t taste ground meat of any kind(but steak is still tasty), and a bunch of other stuff is tasteless.

I get a little sad occasionally when I think about never biting into a tasty juicy hamburger or drinking a chocolate milkshake, but considering the alternative was a painful death by suffocation, I’m ok with it. Plus I lost about 60lbs(which I needed to lose) and it’s easy to keep it off when junk food and fast food isn’t an option.

Was terrified of getting Covid during the period when my immune system was complete dogshit, especially since most of my co-workers were anti-maskers, but I was lucky and didn’t get it until a couple months ago. It only lasted a couple days, probably because I was vaxxed and boosted. They asked me at the doctor’s ‘Is your sense of taste affected?’ and I’m all ‘I really have no idea’.😁

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

JnnyThndrs posted:

I had oropharyngeal (back of the tongue) cancer last year and the heavy-duty chemo combined with 36 rounds of targeted radiation destroyed most of my sense of taste - I can’t taste anything sweet at all, can’t taste ground meat of any kind(but steak is still tasty), and a bunch of other stuff is tasteless.

I get a little sad occasionally when I think about never biting into a tasty juicy hamburger or drinking a chocolate milkshake, but considering the alternative was a painful death by suffocation, I’m ok with it. Plus I lost about 60lbs(which I needed to lose) and it’s easy to keep it off when junk food and fast food isn’t an option.

Was terrified of getting Covid during the period when my immune system was complete dogshit, especially since most of my co-workers were anti-maskers, but I was lucky and didn’t get it until a couple months ago. It only lasted a couple days, probably because I was vaxxed and boosted. They asked me at the doctor’s ‘Is your sense of taste affected?’ and I’m all ‘I really have no idea’.😁

I'm sorry you have to deal with that. I briefly lost my sense of taste following the same head injury that wiped out my sense of smell, and of the two it was the worse to lose.

I don't mean to be excessively optimistic, but I will say that according to the research I delved into that due to how long my sense of smell was gone it was statistically improbable it would come back, but it did. I had complete anosmia for like 3 or 4 years, then severe hyposmia for a few more years, and now I would guess I would hover between mild hyposmia and relatively normal sense of smell.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Okuteru posted:

Denial is a virtue now

There probably don't need to be studies that estimate the damage repeated COVID infections cause, because we will just see for ourselves in the fullness of time.

I've got an upstairs neighbor who recently began hacking again, never wore a mask, isn't now.

AuroMarshmallow
Jan 21, 2007

If theres anything a werewolf hates, it's a vampire- especially dumbass vampires

I very recently caught covid for the first time, and lost my senses of smell and taste for a few days. Taste was weird because I could still taste like the basic flavors of something (a lemon candy tasted sweet but not like lemon, etc) which somehow felt even stranger than if I had just lost it completely.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

AuroMarshmallow posted:

I very recently caught covid for the first time, and lost my senses of smell and taste for a few days. Taste was weird because I could still taste like the basic flavors of something (a lemon candy tasted sweet but not like lemon, etc) which somehow felt even stranger than if I had just lost it completely.

Distorted sensation is much stranger than no sensation at all. And for some things, like touch, it can be more distressing than pain. After a nerve injury or stroke the abnormal prickly sensation that can replace normal touch can be profoundly distressing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
sometimes I still think we should get a do-over for the past three years.

I do remember watching The Stand (the 80's/90's miniseries) and thinking hm, if Covid killed even half of what Project Blue did, think people would still have refused to mask up?