Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
What’s some stuff/people/businesses that git broke brains because of the pandemic?

And I don’t mean just crazy people.

I think streaming is one, seems like it exploded during the pandemic and a bunch of execs bet everything on it staying that way.

While the tiny theater in my city managed to get through the pandemic, the giant one is now a (even more than before) depressing shell where they serve hot dogs from rollers and just have a bag of buns out in a plastic bag. Like they just gave up. They have 9 monitors above the concessions counter and they’re all turned off all the time.

My dad broke but in a positive direction, the combination of trump getting elected and seeing how anti-mask people responded to Covid completely rewired his brain into becoming a leftist after being a Reagan-it’s his entire life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

mental healthcare. and by that i dont just mean crazy people either, i mean the professionals that are supposed to take care of us crazy people. they're all crazy now too. or just gone.

on the positive side, there's a town in the bay where i grew up that closed off its main street to car traffic and made it a pedestrian only zone so the restaurants could do outdoor seating. its stayed that way ever since and its made a massive improvement in that town. breaking down "car culture"

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 15, 2023

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

Retro game market went absolutely insane. I guess a combination of boredom and nostalgia hit people hard and then opportunists jumped on board? I have no clue.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I remember watching some youtubes about the retro game inflation thing, some guy doing a dive into the people behind some weird auction and grading outfit and how it's all weird as gently caress and untrustworthy and probably a big scam, but what isn't really

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH
I bet that sealed Mario 64 was a really good one though, Mario 64 owns

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
A lab I have to go to for blood draws just got rid of reception during Covid and replaced it with self-service. It’s terrible. The idea is you checkin and leave, and come back at an assigned time. People just wind up waiting in the cramped room.

They used to have a ‘navigator’ to help people figure stuff out. They’ve since fired that person and now it’s just a confusing mess.

That lab never gonna have a receptionist ever again.

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
It broke my Indian lunch buffet!

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

N. Senada posted:

That lab never gonna have a receptionist ever again.

This is the big thing, once things get worse there's no realistic prospect of them ever getting better. Shitification has become the rule.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

I got a straight shot at a diagnosis and easy job application during the early days, so Covid actually fixed my brain :tipshat:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i think it also fixed some brains

a ton of restaurants and stores reduced their hours and they haven't gone back. i'm in the suburbs, and even though it sucks for me as a night owl that nothing is open past 9 pm here (even the former 24 hour walmart closes at 11 now), i can't imagine it was ever worth it for stuff to be open that late. probably better for the employees as well, though i'm sure there are some who liked the late nights and miss it.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

pretty much all food is much worse now due to renegotiated supply lines

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Bad Purchase posted:

a ton of restaurants and stores reduced their hours and they haven't gone back. i'm in the suburbs, and even though it sucks for me as a night owl that nothing is open past 9 pm here (even the former 24 hour walmart closes at 11 now), i can't imagine it was ever worth it for stuff to be open that late. probably better for the employees as well, though i'm sure there are some who liked the late nights and miss it.

A lot of local diners I frequented pre-pandemic were open breakfast-lunch-dinner which was alright by me because sometimes I would visit for dinner there, too. A lot of them have since dropped dinner hours and are only open until around 2 to 4 pm now, and it never struck me as odd until I realized that every time I went in the late afternoon, the places were dead. Likewise, a few other local restaurants have switched to lunch and dinner only for the same reason (no one goes for breakfast).

I think the pandemic helped a lot of restaurants realize that if a particular time of business isn’t profitable or worth staying open for, then they can close earlier. I’ve spoken with a few of the owners and workers and they seem genuinely happier and love having the mornings of afternoons to spend with their family and friends instead of staying at a dead restaurant until closing.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

I hate that walmart isn't 24 hours. I really enjoyed doing my shopping after 12.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I hate that walmart isn't 24 hours. I really enjoyed doing my shopping after 12.

Same, not enough places offer tism quiet hours so I always shopped at 2am to avoid all the noise and crowds.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Nelson Mandingo posted:

i also miss the convenience, but i think it was crazy of them to stay open and probably hellish for the people who had to work those shifts. i know some people prefer nights, but i bet most who got those didn't.

JetSetGo
Jan 1, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Covid definitely accelerated stuff. Some very long term friendships that were trending downward all came to pretty quick and definitive ends during the pandemic. The plus side is it also soldified some of my other friendships by spending so much time online together via gta5.

Had to pivot careers real loving fast since my last one dicked me on the way out while food and job insecurity was at its worst. But the positive is no one nowadays seem to have face-to-face people skills anymore so just by being nice I was fast tracked into my preferred shift.

On the other hand also, getting paid to stay alive and gently caress around at home was pretty sweet while it lasted. Playing with that stupid Robinhood app actually provided me 1 share of Microsoft worth $220 that I sold and then used to buy a ps5.

So I guess mostly good memories in hindsight. Aside from the initial existential terror of it.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the number of hours i spend in meetings at work pretty much doubled

prior to the pandemic, meetings were rarer because you actually had to book a conference room and a bunch of people had to stop what they were doing and walk there, there was a resource constraint and a tangible burden

the remote work boom made zoom (and later teams) meetings normal. there's zero barrier to throwing a teams meeting on the calendar and middle management has found a new life calling.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

tech greedflation is 100% real

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
not much happened

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
covid super gentrified my neighborhood and my chinese vulture dragon landlord has doubled my rent.

:guillotine:

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

it hosed my brain up real good. i'll never work in another office again :(

Ars Arcanum
Jan 20, 2005

Best friends make the best weapons
It helped break my brain.

I left my toxic academia job to work retail again and go to grad school (again) to become a counselor/therapist. If Covid hadn’t happened, I’d probably have graduated and been licensed by now. But the way people behaved in the midst of it (particularly before vaccines and effective treatments) made me decide I’d rather help society by directing them to the pickle aisle rather than trying to help them with their mental health.

It might sound paradoxical, but I’d rather work in an environment where I just help people find stuff they want to buy instead of trying to help them work on their minds (which utterly loving shattered).

Call me selfish or a sell-out or whatever, but I need my sanity intact.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

Bad Purchase posted:

To be fair, Walmart ending 24 hour operation was being talked about before COVID, it just provided cover for them to roll it out faster. Kroger had already ended their 24 hours at the majority of stores, leaving one or two 24 hour stores in each city, and that done by about 2018.

naem
May 29, 2011

rather than settle into a comfortable rut in my first job in a new field I was forced to job search, and the difficulty of finding people to hire and logistics of relocating and my willingness to take calculated risks accelerated my career growth

I also spent $573.24 at Aldi on canned food etc as if I’m going to spend three months locked in my house again

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

Ars Arcanum posted:

Call me selfish or a sell-out or whatever, but I need my sanity intact.

Sincerely, sounds totally reasonable and good for you to take care of yourself

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
It seems like people who were driving throughout the not-really-lockdown got very used to no traffic and being allowed to go 90 down the city freeway and they decided to keep doing that despite traffic returning to normal or getting even worse than 2019.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Bad Purchase posted:

You are now my enemy.

I work weird hours, and have a circadian rhythm disorder that makes me kind of nocturnal, and the foreshortening of hours is actually a big deal for me. Even just having my nearest grocery stores close at 11pm instead of midnight is burdensome. And having pharmacy hours absolutely slashed makes it hard for me to find time to pick up my medications, particularly since shorter hours means longer lines.

My town has always had restaurants close stupidly early, and it had slowly been getting a little better before the pandemic, but now it's rolled back to where it was before, to the point a lot of restaurants have taped earlier closing hours over what was painted on their doors. The attitude has always seemed like, "Why would anyone have dinner after the sun has gone down? That makes no sense!"

Not everyone is on the 9-5 schedule that this morning-biased culture assumes is desirable, and the pandemic hosed up any progress we'd made toward accommodating different schedules.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I think a lot of assumptions about the nature of society got tested and we all learnt a little personal lesson

Some of the people who were/are vehemently anti mask learnt where they stand on a lot of issues. The speed at which change was implemented in several areas(gov aid, food banks, delivery, schooling, etc) was incredible and angered people who were just left saying "Thank you" but we're shock it could just be done in a week

Everyone had these ideas about how the world worked and had them shattered in a very visceral way.

I definitely came to be more community minded and aid giving, and have a small list of local families I find myself doing jobs for. But at the same time I've definitely found myself more prone to direct action solutions to community problems. A general melange of gov-organised aid will arrive but only 2 minutes from Death's door. But also wanting to improve society somewhat

Jestery fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jul 15, 2023

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Seeing how fast we could get shot done was a depressing affirmation of all my worst beliefs. We really do just let poo poo get bad when we can fix it.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted
Also this thread can be for good brain breaking as well, I know it’s easier for us to talk about the bad ones.

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

Earwicker posted:

mental healthcare. and by that i dont just mean crazy people either, i mean the professionals that are supposed to take care of us crazy people. they're all crazy now too. or just gone.

thats not good news. Ive been emailing some private practitioners for the past month and theyre all just ghosting me.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Pajser posted:

thats not good news. Ive been emailing some private practitioners for the past month and theyre all just ghosting me.

it's been like that for years. good luck finding a therapist who
- is accepting new patients
- has a waitlist of less than 6 months
- takes your insurance

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
At to be clinical about it

The covid years were some of the most productive of my life

I started tertiary study, bought property, got mad fit on my bike, got engaged and a few other things. From an egoist perspective, covid poo poo was good for me

And it's kinda brain breaking to talk about it in that way, when mass graves were being dug, aye

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Reporting for shovel mission Sir.
My opinion of many of my fellow Americans has not recovered.

On the plus side, I love wearing masks. I'm gonna keep wearing it when I'm in certain public places.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Griz posted:

it's been like that for years. good luck finding a therapist who
- is accepting new patients
- has a waitlist of less than 6 months
- takes your insurance

i found one through my lovely insurance but either he's more depressed than i am or he's an ai or both

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

redshirt posted:

My opinion of many of my fellow Americans has not recovered.

On the plus side, I love wearing masks. I'm gonna keep wearing it when I'm in certain public places.

I'm a little less consistent than I was, but I'm doing the same. Partly for protection, partly to show solidarity with other people wearing masks who might have more serious health concerns than me, and partly because, no poo poo, it gives me a chance to accessorize. I have 4 different colors of the same mask that use the same filter inserts and I change them up to match what I'm wearing. :sparkles:

bossy lady
Jul 9, 1983

A lot of people in my city got used to using delivery services to get their food and never stopped. Now fleets of delivery drivers on mopeds and electric bikes are out riding like shitheads because their livelihood hinges on being able to deliver food quickly.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm a little less consistent than I was, but I'm doing the same. Partly for protection, partly to show solidarity with other people wearing masks who might have more serious health concerns than me, and partly because, no poo poo, it gives me a chance to accessorize. I have 4 different colors of the same mask that use the same filter inserts and I change them up to match what I'm wearing. :sparkles:

Nice. I should do that too, but then I remember I have no fashion sense whatsoever.

SHUT UP WESLEY
Mar 15, 2010

idk if ill ever get a haircut or eat in a restaurant again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

One of the odd things I've noticed is people drive faster now than pre-covid.

I religiously use cruise control and I used to set it 7MPH above the posted speed limit, which back then would make me generally one of the fast vehicles.

But now that's too slow and tons of people pass me. So I've upped it to 10 over.