Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
you almost said nipples

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
there a cool video on youtube where dude puts thousands of car batteries in parallel

it’s super interesting coz it’s still 12v so it barely arcs until very short distance but then gets red hot pquick

a good way imo to highlight to me at least the practical difference between voltage n current

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Elder Postsman posted:

wait, so are they saying that the conversion from AC -> DC has such a terrible effect on their precious sound quality that they need to spend $9000 on a cable?

are you new here

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I think it's reasonable to spend $800 on headphones if you have the money, but you're already way into diminishing returns up there

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Silver Alicorn posted:

I think it's reasonable to spend $800 on headphones if you have the money, but you're already way into diminishing returns up there

i got $1000 in ear headphones from work for free and, i think due to the form factor, they sound only barely better than $50 in ears imo

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

giant over ear cans is where the sound quality is at

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

now that's what I'm talkin about

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I do not understand the iem industry where hundreds of tiny companies compete to make the most baroque arrangement of drivers in a tiny liver shaped capsule covered in glitter. I think they're like mobile gaming where they try to find "whales" who like the brand and will pay two thousand dollars for something like this.

I also know this is halo gear to sell more of the sub-$50 stuff [of which there's people who buy 1-3 pairs a month]

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

qirex posted:

I do not understand the iem industry where hundreds of tiny companies compete to make the most baroque arrangement of drivers in a tiny liver shaped capsule covered in glitter. I think they're like mobile gaming where they try to find "whales" who like the brand and will pay two thousand dollars for something like this.

I also know this is halo gear to sell more of the sub-$50 stuff [of which there's people who buy 1-3 pairs a month]

thats some lazy rear end bump mapping on that product render

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

fart simpson posted:

are you new here

yah kinda

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this mf account old enough to be president

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

echinopsis posted:

this mf account old enough to be president

not in the us at least

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
president of my nipples!!! tbh I think don’t you need to be 35 to be prez?

altho in reality all presidents are decrepit husks of humans as far as I can tell

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

president beep

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i weep
for beep

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

cd changers are back, baby!

only $550! I also enjoy that in their own publicity shot the feet and finish doesn't match their other stereo gear

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

qirex posted:

yeah this is basically the same as my ~$50 KZ iems, and those were probably marked up by at least 25%

like, the sheer proliferation of them makes me think it's just extremely cheap to make a good sounding set these days. plus, i mean, fart basically said as much

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

qirex posted:

cd changers are back, baby!

only $550! I also enjoy that in their own publicity shot the feet and finish doesn't match their other stereo gear

while looking around amazon on black friday i saw a ton of no-name chinese ODM amps, tuners and yeah, even some cd changers. all told it seemed like you could get a decent stereo set for about $150, the amps and such were like $45 lol

e: a stereo set of questionable quality, of course, but who knows. i've rolled the dice on poo poo like that (well, ok, mostly camera equipment, flash memory and IEMs) multiple times and it's been far more good than bad

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Dec 6, 2023

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

hell yeah this guy is cool af

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

for real though I want to try some stax lambdas sometime

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

If I buy a CD player made in 2023 and play my Japanese 1982 copy of Wish You Were Here, do you think it would set the pre-emphasis flag on the optical out?

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

If I buy a CD player made in 2023 and play my Japanese 1982 copy of Wish You Were Here, do you think it would set the pre-emphasis flag on the optical out?

if it follows the red book spec (and the cd has the flag), then yes? idgi

imo the real question is whether your receiver (or the cd player, i guess) would interpret it correctly and apply de-emphasis

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Beeftweeter posted:

if it follows the red book spec (and the cd has the flag), then yes? idgi

imo the real question is whether your receiver (or the cd player, i guess) would interpret it correctly and apply de-emphasis

this guy wants to make love to audio. lol