Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
thread to talk about headphones and stuff

ive had a pair of AirPods Pro for a year now, I use them at work, they’re ok I guess. I can’t put my finger on it quite but I feel like everything sounds a little distant and not as crisp as it could be- definitely because of the Bluetooth compression but also, well, they’re earbuds. I don’t understand the psychoacoustic or whatever differences between in ear and over ear headphones.

I also have a hyperx cloud headset I got on recommendation from YouTube personality dankpods. been using them a bit more lately and they sound. so much better than the AirPods. $79 versus whatever triple digits I paid for the AirPods. they definitely fill different roles though, can’t really use wired headphones while doing computer janitor stuff.

I also have some old Logitech speakers that sound pretty good for pc speakers. the subwoofer is too loud on the lowest setting so you know it’s good.

I’ll have to take a look at my living room sound system because my wife set it up but it also sounds pretty good.

anyway what kind of sennheisers or grados or mezes do yall in figgieland have, I’m interested

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i have some creΔtive pebbles op they are nice and small and were 20 bucks

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i have a pair of audio technica ath-a500's that are about 13 years old and they are my favorite headphones, but comically large and I am a little self conscious about wearing them out of the house

i called audio technica's repair department to order replacement ear pads a while ago, and apparently the place is run by one guy and he told me that they don't typically ship parts to canada, but he would make an exception for me and personally delivered them to the post office.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i have a set of audioengine a2 speakers for my desktop which are very good sounding to me (the original non-plus model) . they could use a subwoofer but honestly i've gotten used to reduced bass since i've shared walls with neighbors for 19 years of my adult life

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

my best/worst audio purchase was a lifetime subscription to roon, I do not recommend it because it is stupidly expensive [even more so now than a few years ago] but it is awesome and integrating your local library with streaming is amazing

I won't rattle off my systems but stereo rules and I'm never going back to surround sound unless I have a dedicated room. you absolutely don't need more speakers if you can position your speakers correctly in your space [I do have a subwoofer though]

qirex fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jul 17, 2023

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I will suggest one product, if you need a usb dac, headphone amp or bluetooth receiver the qudelix 5k is amazing and made by a small company in s korea

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

i have a 5.0 setup in my living room assembled from thrift store speaker finds. my front's are a pair of axiom 1.5 bookshelf speakers, which look to be from the 1990s. axiom is a canadian boutique brand and they sound pretty good to me. the rear satellites are JBL control 1 monitors and are equally fine. honestly i don't really notice the surround effect very much in movies but for games it really helps with locating the source of enemies.

they are driven with a yamaha RX-V485 and when I watch youtube I like to use the cheesy room effects so it sounds like I am listening to somebody speak in a hall or club

polyester concept fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 17, 2023

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i made love to audio

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

mildly spicy take: schiit audio makes garbage products and you should avoid them. if you want a us assembled dac look at jds labs or geshelli

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

qirex posted:

mildly spicy take: schiit audio makes garbage products and you should avoid them. if you want a us assembled dac look at jds labs or geshelli

well thats why they call it poo poo audio

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

i only listen to music inside an olde tyme diving suit filled with silicone oil

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

fart simpson posted:

well thats why they call it poo poo audio
youtubers were getting demonetized when doing reviews of their stuff so now they beep it out

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I don't have an external dac, my desktop uses an asus xonar ds that has been very needs suiting and low-noise since I bought it in 2009

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

qirex posted:

youtubers were getting demonetized when doing reviews of their stuff so now they beep it out

lol

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I like JVC for cheap but decent car audio decks but drat would it kill them to use a display that can fit more than 10 characters???

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
i have a pair of refurbed sony MDR-1As and they're good imo

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

i use a set of anker bluetooth headphones that cost approx $50. they are adequate and even have active noise canceling, would recommend.

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I bought a new receiver with a 20 years newer DAC, which prompted me to order an aliexpress knockoff optical out hat for my Pi because my current USB sound card won't do 24/192 optical out

I know everything past CD resolution is a complete waste for playback, but I just can't help myself

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

I bought a new receiver with a 20 years newer DAC, which prompted me to order an aliexpress knockoff optical out hat for my Pi because my current USB sound card won't do 24/192 optical out

I know everything past CD resolution is a complete waste for playback, but I just can't help myself

u need dsd

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

All Schitt DAC's will 100% die in some stupid short timeframe (a couple of years) because the IC package they use had some issues.

There is a million posts online about it. People have figured out you can attach little tiny USB powered heaters onto the IC to "solve" it

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/please-help-schiit-modi-2-not-being-recognized-anymore-by-windows.5943/page-5

The company refuses to acknowledge the problem publicly despite having written 40,000 words online about how great they are and the big guys are meanies. Screw them.

yummycheese
Mar 28, 2004

anyway. it me. im the audiophile idiot.

I built a Bottlehead Crack headphone amp a few years ago and have played around with swapping various tubes around in it that I picked up for cheap at flea markets.

The local guy at the Hi-Fi shop made fun of me when i told him i had one but whatever. I think it’s neat.

https://bottlehead.com/product/crack-1-1-otl-headphone-amplifier-kit/

Stained the wood black and it came out pretty nice

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the main danger in audio gear is avoiding rabbit holes and slippery slopes, like there's apparently hundreds of folks out there who have 20-50 pairs of sub-$100 headphones, it's like funko pop disease why are you buying 2 new iems a month. conversely if you look in places like avs there's people who have like 6 18" subs in a closed room and they're mad there's not enough "tactile" bass for them

"good enough" is anathema to audiophiles but if you figure out where it is for you it'll pay big dividends, or at least save you from wasting a bunch of money

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

seems like overkill for a 64k AAC stream

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

lol dsd is the new thing now that mqa are not only shown to be fraudsters but also going out of business, it's like the reel to reel comeback, it's better specifically because it's not well supported

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I just use flac

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
serious question: what's the least effort way to tell if a given piece of broken audio equipment is garbage consumer e-waste, or somehow desirable for parts or repairs?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

serious question: what's the least effort way to tell if a given piece of broken audio equipment is garbage consumer e-waste, or somehow desirable for parts or repairs?

if it's newer than the 90s and not from an extremely prestigious brand it's probably junk I guess also search ebay and audiogon to see if people are actually buying them

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

I just use flac

you can't spell flaccid without flac

or something

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

bathroom scale

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

if I could still get a set of Equators for monitors I’d prolly do so as they were some of the best budget monitors I was aware of, but oh well

I have an og homepod I use for my home AV setup which is like, surprisingly good. tho some audio needs pre-processing before sending it to the speakers cuz of its biases, tho it’s mostly fine to not do that. tho figuring out how to get non apple stuff to play with it is a bit of a headache, will just use my JBL Flip when I can’t be assed

2nd gen airpods or uh, Pink Sony cheapo earbuds I use for work as the airpods don’t play nicely with multiple sound sources. I used to have some AKGs and Audio Technicas but the AKGs had quite a long life and got worn out / had to rewire and change the pads and stuff so I think I just got rid of em, and sold the ATs many moons ago for food or rent money iirc

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

prefer to play CDs off my sega saturn rather than the ps1, the spaceship rly gives it an edge audiophile wise

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

when doing production I usually just do what Aaron Funk talked about in an interview a very long time ago. if you don’t have very good gear triangulating between multiple audio sources which are biased in ways that you know about works pretty well

eventually I’m gonna get some big rear end amplifiers like we used to have for shows and stuff

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

for headphones i keep buying sony mdr-7506s which are tanks and sound flat which is what i want generally

i'd like if the closing was stronger and sound leaked out less but all in all a workhorse of a pair of headphones, highly recommended

in other stuff, i'm sort of looking for new receivers. did all the hdmi crap get ironed out? is there something specific i should look for? who's a good brand now?

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

quality is inversely proportional to the number of LEDs on the front panel

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Share Bear posted:

in other stuff, i'm sort of looking for new receivers. did all the hdmi crap get ironed out? is there something specific i should look for? who's a good brand now?
mostly, there's definitely still quirks if you're trying to push 10 bit 4k120+ from a computer but normal person stuff seems to work fine

rotor posted:

i have a pair of refurbed sony MDR-1As and they're good imo
these are the most comfortable headphones ever

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Share Bear posted:

hdmi is fine, some streaming providers lock down poo poo on 1.4 but idk anything about that

my aventage is very nice but even the regular yamahas are good. There's not one particularly good or bad major brand, pick what you know. i stick with yamaha stuff bc i have a bunch already

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

qirex posted:

these are the most comfortable headphones ever

iirc i got em on your reccomendation, A+ tip, would consult again

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

nice honeypot op

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face
i have a pair of airpods pro too. they're okay, i like the microphones. for listening to stuff my $20 kz chinese earbuds are better though, even without an amp. i use a fiio btr-3 for that

you can swap the 2-pin cable with a different one, but they're 3.5mm by default. i have a usb-c cable for them but i've never seen a lightning one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Jenny Agutter posted:

nice honeypot op