Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plastic Pal
Jun 5, 2004

~ It's you. Only you. ~

We didn't have Google Maps to dictate directions when we had to drive somewhere unfamiliar, we had to plot out our directions using paper-rear end maps. Everyone had a Thomas Guide in their car and hopefully it wasn't too out of date because unexpected road changes could be a real bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Plastic Pal posted:

We didn't have Google Maps to dictate directions when we had to drive somewhere unfamiliar, we had to plot out our directions using paper-rear end maps. Everyone had a Thomas Guide in their car and hopefully it wasn't too out of date because unexpected road changes could be a real bitch.

It was also very important to remember this was a time when all roads lead to Rome, so if you were going to Rome your best bet was to pick a direction to drive down which ever road you were on and just not stop, praying you got the right direction.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i had sex and did drugs in the 20th century. owned much OP

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

In the 90s we had archery during gym class, using actual bows and arrows.

And we had rubber dodgeballs (dodgeball doesn't even exist at all anymore in the school I work for).

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

Das Boo posted:

I'm pretty sure every kid played in a sewer.
I didn't, Portland had too many kids drown in the 1970s so they locked down the more accessible entrances during the big pipe project in my neighborhood :smith:

could argue that the city was one giant sewer I suppose

Stex T
Mar 7, 2005

Shut the fuck up and get out. Have fun being a slave of the rich and powerful.
I farted 29,592 times in the 20th century, it was real good times

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
terrible weed, excellent lsd

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

terrible weed, excellent lsd

Acid was cheap, too. $5-$10 a hit is a paltry price to pay for a journey to the edge of the universe.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
Weed was super illegal everywhere, like basically if you had weed (and were not wealthy/white) then it was straight to pound me in the rear end prison. Like imagine the situation in the shittiest states today, except it was like that everywhere. Being against this made you a weirdo hippy

Also most adults had no loving clue what the internet was, and at one point it was like a private digital space for mostly teenagers on their parents computers and a smaller group of pioneering adults. The kids had to basically teach the entire population of adults what a computer was and how INTERNET worked

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

386-SX 25Mhz VGA posted:

Weed was super illegal everywhere, like basically if you had weed (and were not wealthy/white) then it was straight to pound me in the rear end prison.

also in many places it was hard to get at various times, certain towns/regions would "go dry" from time to time, and in a lot of places when it was around it was dry, brown, full of stems and seeds, and compressed from being in a brick. you'd have to shell out a lot more for "kind bud" that actually resembles the weed sold in stores today. if you look at the weed in like a cheech and chong movie it looks like a bunch of twigs and poo poo.

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
The population was lower because we named ladies Ethel and Mildred and Gertrude and no man could pop good boners with such ladies.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

MonkeyHate posted:

The population was lower because we named ladies Ethel and Mildred and Gertrude and no man could pop good boners with such ladies.

i think that might be more of a “you” problem

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Plastic Pal posted:

Not just a 20th century problem. This happened to me. Today! Fuckin Google maps didn't have that an intersection was now an overpass and kept trying to send me to this non-existent 4 way stop.

Anoka, you changed. It used to be about recklessly cutting onto highway 10.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!
I did not have crippling anxiety

Nurglings
May 6, 2016
If you had a random question that just popped into your head you had to ask an old person who looked like they might know the answer (they often didn't, and gave you an incorrect answer, but you wouldn't know anyways), or drive to the library and check Encyclopedia Britannica or some such other paperbound book. It was awful.

Private Cumshoe
Feb 15, 2019

AAAAAAAGAGHAAHGGAH

Das Boo posted:

I ate a bunch of candy cigarettes and played in a sewer. I'm pretty sure every kid played in a sewer.

Does a construction site with a pond full of probably sickly frogs count

Tragicomic
Jun 6, 2011

by Modern Video Games
No active shooter drills in elementary school

Fireflies were 3x more common

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
internet looked like this, op https://anlucas.neocities.org/88x31Buttons

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

how did we allow internet buttons turn into infinite scrolling articles with advertising and stop trying to stop us advertising popups :negative:

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender

Dick Fontaine posted:

i think that might be more of a “you” problem

:boom:

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013

Eclipse12 posted:

In the 90s we had archery during gym class, using actual bows and arrows.

And we had rubber dodgeballs (dodgeball doesn't even exist at all anymore in the school I work for).

We had archery, fencing, and riflery as well. They stopped riflery after this hippy chick shot a hole in the ceiling because shooting a gun offended her pacifist principles. The rifle range was underneath the pool, so it made a real big mess real quick.

Another big difference was that public gay sex was a way bigger problem with public bathrooms than drug use. There would regularly be fresh jizz on the dividers of the men's room at my University, and they had to put plexiglass over them to prevent guys from drilling glory holes in them. There's an old-school website with information on public sex that starts in like 1996 and then basically trails off quickly after like 2002.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
There was this team of teenagers with attitude who fought these weird-rear end alien monsters. They used to hang out at the local juice bar and were pretty cool.