Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

since there are some really old people on this forum, would you mind telling what life was like in the last century

did you use a "telephone" to "call" people?

did watch a "television"?

when you first saw a computer, did the blinking lights and strange noises scare you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Burger King made good burgers then

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

idk op your "QCS" crew tag makes me thing youre a narc and a poser.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

There were these things called "pogs"

No. 6 posted:

Burger King made good burgers then

Yeah!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

You had to get your sister off the phone to dial up AOL. A real struggle.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

baggy jeans

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
New York had these 2 towers you see

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
It was dark times, literally with light globes being invented sometime about 2001. Most of us didn't survive obviously and those that did mostly do not like to talk about the horror that we saw.

I mean the horror that we saw in the day time. At night it was obviously to dark to see any of the many horrors of the 20th century.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Short, brutish and filled with lead

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Everyone smoked, and 7-11 closed at 11.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
hoses were the only things you could drink from apparently

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
I didn't own a pair of non-rollerblade footwear until I was 24.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Every neighborhood had this totem, or perhaps suburb gods, known collectively as The Joneses. They represented greed, gluttony and consumption and were the primary cultural driver as every citizen tried to "keep up" with them at any cost lest they were exiled.

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

We had no contact with the other idiot masses on the planet, so stupidity was partially contained.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Everything got way worse after videogames, anime and internet were invented. In a way they became the four horsemen of legend of our times... what do you think was the fourth one?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Colonel Cancer posted:

Every neighborhood had this totem, or perhaps suburb gods, known collectively as The Joneses. They represented greed, gluttony and consumption and were the primary cultural driver as every citizen tried to "keep up" with them at any cost lest they were exiled.

LOL I drive by this old couple's house, and they are "The Joneses", and they have an inground pool and 3 car garage and go all out decorating for every holiday - like even St. Patricks Day. And a super cute bus mailbox with "The Joneses" proudly written in cursive. And they put any nearby house to shame, and I bet all their neighbors are like "we can't keep up with The Joneses", and yet some of them try.

I can't hate them though, they are like 100 years old and wave when you drive by.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
What part of the 20th century are you talking about OP because that can range from "the N64 was the hottest poo poo ever" to "you were going to die from either nazis, trench foot, or both in about 20 minutes"

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

EorayMel posted:

What part of the 20th century are you talking about OP because that can range from "the N64 was the hottest poo poo ever" to "you were going to die from either nazis, trench foot, or both in about 20 minutes"

Yeah, very non-specific. I'd say n64 was hot, but I didn't shoot nazis in a trench.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

EorayMel posted:

Woodrow Wilson sucks!

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Grey Cat posted:

Yeah, very non-specific. I'd say n64 was hot, but I didn't shoot nazis in a trench.

If you'd just shot some nazis in a trench maybe they wouldn't of won ya jerk.

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

Satan used a lot pen names to write these

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I was shooting Germans in trenches before they were NAZI's.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

redshirt posted:

I was shooting Germans in trenches before they were NAZI's.

I never stopped.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

I used a “telephone” to call my dad at work. You’d pick it up, and listen for a dial tone, and if there was one, you’d dial the number. The dial was a big donut lookin thing with holes around it, and you’d jam your finger in the hole next to a number, rotate the donut thing and let the dial rotate itself back, seven times (one rotate and return for each digit in the phone number), and then the ear peice would go BRR BRR. BRR BRR. BRR BRR. Until dad picked up his end, or didn’t and you gave up.
If there wasn’t a dial tone, you’d listen to the house over the road having a conversation until they noticed and told you to hang up and stop listening to them talking.

We got a new fangled phone with buttons and a line that was just ours in 1988 (I was 8 years old), and it was cool because each button made a different pitch so I’d press lots of different combinations trying to make a tune, and sometimes I’d accidentally call someone.

I have a telephone now, but it’s also a computer that fits in my pockets and I’m using it right now to post on these here forums for old farts.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
You couldn't easily look up the answers to things. If the specific document wasn't accessible to you, you just had to live with your ignorance.

If you scheduled a date or get together, you had to arrive at the right time and place. You couldn't text to say you were running late, after a certain point you had to trust you'd all arrive. If you didn't, you had no idea why and the whlole thing could fall apart

Snackula
Aug 1, 2013

hedgefund wizard
Wikipedia wasn't around so nobody except nerds had any real grasp on when any historical events happened anyway. Like if you wanted to dunk on your dumbass friends you'd have to rollerblade across town to the library, track down a source, spend 50 cents on a photocopy and then come back hoping they hadn't left in the 2 hours it took you to produce hard evidence that Napoleon wasn't the one who shot Franz Ferdinand.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Shithouse Dave posted:

I used a “telephone” to call my dad at work. You’d pick it up, and listen for a dial tone, and if there was one, you’d dial the number. The dial was a big donut lookin thing with holes around it, and you’d jam your finger in the hole next to a number, rotate the donut thing and let the dial rotate itself back, seven times (one rotate and return for each digit in the phone number), and then the ear peice would go BRR BRR. BRR BRR. BRR BRR. Until dad picked up his end, or didn’t and you gave up.
If there wasn’t a dial tone, you’d listen to the house over the road having a conversation until they noticed and told you to hang up and stop listening to them talking.

We got a new fangled phone with buttons and a line that was just ours in 1988 (I was 8 years old), and it was cool because each button made a different pitch so I’d press lots of different combinations trying to make a tune, and sometimes I’d accidentally call someone.

I have a telephone now, but it’s also a computer that fits in my pockets and I’m using it right now to post on these here forums for old farts.

While rotary phones were a little before my time, I've still used them, and they are a very satisfying tactile experience.

I also think mentioning filters for phone lines is funny. Picking up the phone and getting an earfull of grrrrrrskskshhhhhhhhrhkkkk.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Testikles posted:

You couldn't easily look up the answers to things. If the specific document wasn't accessible to you, you just had to live with your ignorance.

If you scheduled a date or get together, you had to arrive at the right time and place. You couldn't text to say you were running late, after a certain point you had to trust you'd all arrive. If you didn't, you had no idea why and the whlole thing could fall apart

I had many encyclopedias and dictionaries.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Snackula posted:

Wikipedia wasn't around so nobody except nerds had any real grasp on when any historical events happened anyway. Like if you wanted to dunk on your dumbass friends you'd have to rollerblade across town to the library, track down a source, spend 50 cents on a photocopy and then come back hoping they hadn't left in the 2 hours it took you to produce hard evidence that Napoleon wasn't the one who shot Franz Ferdinand.

Roller blades??? You mean roller skates?

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if we had to go to school we needed to walk to the school bus

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

EorayMel posted:

i was talking about the 20th not the 21th century moran

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Grey Cat posted:

While rotary phones were a little before my time, I've still used them, and they are a very satisfying tactile experience.

Agreed, I always liked calling my grandmother from my great-grandmother's apartment because her number had a 9 and a 0 in a row. :v:

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

we used to eat a food called pizza, it’s hard to describe

it’s like a circle but you eat it as a triangle or sometimes a rectangle if that makes sense, also they can be thin or very deep

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

photography was still very primitive and we mostly took reverse selfies back then, we just didn’t know better

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Kids would get high at school on the mimeograph machine

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Schools were not a place to get shot at.

panorama_change
May 23, 2008

Inertia is a property of matter.
Getting a real good sniff of your report card that was printed on a dot matrix printer.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.
Personal computers had big power switches that made a solid clack when you flipped them. None of these wimpy soft power buttons where you don't know if you pushed it or not.

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

panorama_change posted:

Getting a real good sniff of your report card that was printed on a dot matrix printer.

This but a page from a ditto machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Presto posted:

Personal computers had big power switches that made a solid clack when you flipped them. None of these wimpy soft power buttons where you don't know if you pushed it or not.