Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Xander77 posted:

Long divided, must unite; long united etc etc.

The Eastern empire regaining control of at least the core portions of the West was not an untenable proposition. Or any of the self-titled 3d, 4th, 21st Romes actually controlling the approximate same territory.

justinian actually came very close to doing so

the reason why he failed isn't because the western Mediterrenean was inheritly unconquerable, it was because the plague of justinian hit in the middle of the reconquest and killed something like 40%-50% of the empire's population

traditionally historiains have portrayed Justanian's reconquest as an exercise in imperial overstretch and inabilty to adapt to a post-Roman geopolitical situation. And contemporary accounts of the plague was thought of as exaggerated. More recent archaloegical evidence basically tells us "yes actually the plague was basically an apocalypse"

no poo poo the empire suddenly lost the resources to mount what had being an affordable campaign of territory re-aquisition when half its people just drop dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Typo posted:

justinian actually came very close to doing so
Yeah. What I meant.

quote:

the plague of justinian hit in the middle of the reconquest and killed something like 40%-50% of the empire's population
That seems a bit high. A lot of new info cropped up over the past 15 years?

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Xander77 posted:

Yeah. What I meant.

That seems a bit high. A lot of new info cropped up over the past 15 years?

yeah more recent archaelogical evidence place the death toll of plagues like Justanian's and the black death much higher than what we used to think it was

Tragicomic
Jun 6, 2011

by Modern Video Games
Are we sure about the effects of that plague really? Here's a 2019 paper that says it wasn't that big: https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1903797116

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

it was just the flu, bro

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Tragicomic posted:

Are we sure about the effects of that plague really? Here's a 2019 paper that says it wasn't that big: https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1903797116

interesting, I will read this later

my source btw is "The Fate of Rome" by Kyle Harper, seem like the effect of the plague remains a contested topic