Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Not in the cinema, but back in '99 I had a major surgery to remove a cancerous tumor and was in the hospital for 6 days. They put me on a morphine drip that I could activate by pressing a button on the IV line.

It was probably around 1 in the morning but I couldn't sleep cause of the pain. I flipped on the TV and PBS had just started playing 2001 uncut and commercial free for some reason. I had never seen it, but I knew of it through references from other media. So, there I was, delirious from pain and morphine, watching 2001 for the first time. I seriously tripped out many times.

If you can get that kind of thing together I highly recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The part of Killer Joe with the chicken leg blowjob had the entire theatre completely losing their poo poo, i don't think I've seen quite a reaction to anything in a theatre audience quite like it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Caesar Saladin posted:

The part of Killer Joe with the chicken leg blowjob had the entire theatre completely losing their poo poo, i don't think I've seen quite a reaction to anything in a theatre audience quite like it.

When Gina Gershon's wildly unkempt bush was shown at the very beginning, some dude down front let out a "hell yeah" that cracked the theater up.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Oldstench posted:

Not in the cinema, but back in '99 I had a major surgery to remove a cancerous tumor and was in the hospital for 6 days. They put me on a morphine drip that I could activate by pressing a button on the IV line.

It was probably around 1 in the morning but I couldn't sleep cause of the pain. I flipped on the TV and PBS had just started playing 2001 uncut and commercial free for some reason. I had never seen it, but I knew of it through references from other media. So, there I was, delirious from pain and morphine, watching 2001 for the first time. I seriously tripped out many times.

If you can get that kind of thing together I highly recommend it.

SPACE BABY!

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

redshirt posted:

Lol were you able to use the voucher safely?

oh hell yeah lmao my sister used hers the next day at the same dollar movie place (but a different theatre/room) to watch the star trek movie again but this time without involuntary 4D effects

dorky teenager me and my equally dorky friend used the voucher to watch some forgettable 1990s lovely action movie like we somehow always ended up watching

StupidNameNobody
Aug 12, 2023

"Fly, you fools!!!" is hard to beat. Wow. The power of it all!

Another more whimsical one is Alita Battle Angel. Neither the audience nor myself was very into it. I thought it was really dumb actually. And everyone else started laughing when she literally took her heart in her hands and all that... At that point we all realised we could let loose and laugh together. it was a rare time when everyone else and I were in total sync in the cinema lmao. Almost never happens. The only other time when I was at a viewing of Cats. Jesus lmao.

In retrospect I should've gathered some phone numbers there but I'm too hopeless in that regard lol

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
This thread REALLY reminds me of the power of good cinema!

StupidNameNobody
Aug 12, 2023

Barbie was also quite awesome, to speak of a more recent experience. My wife and I were laughing our asses off the whole way, it's really spectacular to see something like that. It was kinda beyond my imagination. Of course the deeper moments had some resonance too.

There were some truly sad sacks in that audience though. There was a family in front of us who didn't laugh a single time and were on their phones the whole while. I had to tell them to knock it off. That's the part of the cinema I really don't like. Thankfully the people behind us totally got it and weren't such cold fish. :)

StupidNameNobody
Aug 12, 2023

I'll say another two where the audience were absolutely in tune with me and my wife (we always see movies together).

First one was Green Room. Absolute silence the whole way. People were absolutely RAPT!!! My god, it gives me goosebumps just thinking about it. If you've never seen this please watch it right away. Just shocking and amazing. Patrick Stewart... evil????

Second was Everything Everywhere All At Once. The emotional resonance was absolutely incredible. My wife and I went to see it with a bunch of movie-loving friends and it really hit home so hard. Just a beautiful communal experience where everyone in that giant room was totally vibing, laughing in unison, obviously tearing up, what a masterpiece. :)

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

one time i sat behind StupidNameNobody during a movie and threw popcorn at them

StupidNameNobody
Aug 12, 2023

How could you do this :negative:

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
When the movie theater I work at ran Dunkirk I absolutely loved watching the first reel with a busy house because the film is dead silent for the first few minutes and when the first gunshot goes off loud as hell the entire audience would jump as one, every single time

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

I went to school in Montreal in the mid-90s, and on my first full day there I'm wandering around the city exploring, and I come upon this theater on St. Catherine Street. It was an older, 70's style multiplex where they now played the second run films that had left the newer theaters in the malls. All shows were $2 - about $1.50 USD - which even 30 years ago was a great deal. But they also occasionally screened older movies, and as I looked up at the marquee I saw that they were showing Apocalypse Now, a movie I was well familiar with but had never seen on the big screen. So I checked for the next showtime, wandered around a bit more, and then circled back, threw down my two loonies, and went in.

Like a lot of those older multiplexes, they had tried harder to adopt an earlier aesthetic and the main theater was this beautiful big room with columns, ornate sculpted plaster, and a big wide screen with a big red curtain. It was great. So I sat down and the movie began. If you recall, Apocalypse Now has no opening credit sequence, it just jumps right in with that shot of the jungle swaying in the breeze. They projected this directly on to the curtain, still closed, as it too was just ever so slightly undulating from the flow of the AC. I sat there thinking it was an accident, but no - they swung the curtain open in perfect time with the napalm ripping across the screen. A simple little effect but I just thought it was fantastic. It was a great print, too, original theatrical release, years before the Redux. The price, the unexpected nature of the opportunity, and that wonderful little opening just made it a really memorable experience for me.

And on the subject of theaters/projectionists adding their own enhancements to the filmgoing experience, I've got to give an honorable mention to the time I saw Fight Club at the Davis Sq. theater in Somerville, MA. Just after the end credit sequence had begun, the projectionist had spliced in a few seconds of the sequence from Meet Joe Black where Brad Pitt gets hit by a car. That was funny as hell.

Silver Vision
Aug 24, 2013
A friend invited me to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and I had no idea what it was about except it was made by Tarantino. The only thing I knew about Charles Manson was he was a nutjob who killed people in the 60s. I didn't even know it was about Charles Manson and the murders.

I spent most of the film enjoying it but wondering what it was all leading up to. The final sequence when one of the cult members references a 'Charlie' made it click in my head, and then the whole final sequence happened and my friend and I couldn't stop laughing the whole time.

Me being a complete dumbass turned that film experience from great to incredible.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Silver Vision posted:

A friend invited me to see Once Upon a Time in Hollywood and I had no idea what it was about except it was made by Tarantino. The only thing I knew about Charles Manson was he was a nutjob who killed people in the 60s. I didn't even know it was about Charles Manson and the murders.

I spent most of the film enjoying it but wondering what it was all leading up to. The final sequence when one of the cult members references a 'Charlie' made it click in my head, and then the whole final sequence happened and my friend and I couldn't stop laughing the whole time.

Me being a complete dumbass turned that film experience from great to incredible.

LOL that was my entire experience of that film. I was enjoying the 60's Hollywood California vibes but as a film, meh. Then all of a sudden the ending.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Back in high school a friend and I went to see Team America: World Police before it left the nearby city cinema. The theater was empty except for a bunch of church ladies were in the front row, apparently expecting a nice patriotic puppet show. They squirmed through most of it, but finally left in the middle of the Puppet Sex Scene.

I don't know if I'd enjoy watching it again, but there was a weird Late Bush Era Zen to heading to the big city to share a theater with evangelicals and unexpectedly start watching puppet copulation together. My friend and I stopped by Best Buy and bought Command and Conquer: Generals right after that and played that till 4 a.m. Definitely a time capsule of an evening.

Anchor Wanker
May 14, 2015
Mad max Fury Road in an empty theater with a couple of my boys. The doof warrior had us hollerin. We all almost crashed on the way home we were just whippin it out there off the high.

All made even better bc going into it we thought it was gonna be another soulless cash grab instead of quite possibly the best movie ever.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I got to watch ad Astra in a completely empty theater. It was so loving nice. Me and my wife love to smuggle poo poo into the theater and this time we had smuggled in a pre-mixed Margarita burritos nachos etc. So we were pouring ourselves drinks and just having a great loving time.

God I remember watching once upon a Time in Hollywood there was like 10 people in the theater. All of us were enjoying it up to the scene where they had the loving dog eating a person for like 5 straight minutes.

We'd all become cordial at that point and half of us were yelling make it loving stop Jesus Christ

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

spank my snatch posted:

And on the subject of theaters/projectionists adding their own enhancements to the filmgoing experience, I've got to give an honorable mention to the time I saw Fight Club at the Davis Sq. theater in Somerville, MA. Just after the end credit sequence had begun, the projectionist had spliced in a few seconds of the sequence from Meet Joe Black where Brad Pitt gets hit by a car. That was funny as hell.

No kidding! I think you're talking about my theater and I'm pretty sure I know which projectionist was behind that. One of his favorite stunts is timing the curtains at the end of The Wicker Man so they follow the receding sun.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Anchor Wanker posted:

Mad max Fury Road in an empty theater with a couple of my boys. The doof warrior had us hollerin. We all almost crashed on the way home we were just whippin it out there off the high.

All made even better bc going into it we thought it was gonna be another soulless cash grab instead of quite possibly the best movie ever.

Fury Road was legit one of my favorite cinema experiences. Not only cuz of the actual movie but because somehow I got to see it with this incredibly beautiful married woman. It was like a date, but not a date, then there's the guy with the flaming guitar. So confusing!

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
First fast and the furious. Saw a late show way out in the suburbs and when it was over everyone was hollering and going nuts. That’s when I noticed the lot was full of tarted-up cars with stickers and neon and guys started revving their little motors and lining up to race and doing donuts and someone crashed into a lamppost. It was awesome. Like Mardi Gras for teen car nerds.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Grammarchist posted:

Back in high school a friend and I went to see Team America: World Police before it left the nearby city cinema. The theater was empty except for a bunch of church ladies were in the front row, apparently expecting a nice patriotic puppet show. They squirmed through most of it, but finally left in the middle of the Puppet Sex Scene.

I don't know if I'd enjoy watching it again, but there was a weird Late Bush Era Zen to heading to the big city to share a theater with evangelicals and unexpectedly start watching puppet copulation together. My friend and I stopped by Best Buy and bought Command and Conquer: Generals right after that and played that till 4 a.m. Definitely a time capsule of an evening.

The part where the first AMERICA! gently caress YEAH! was probably one of the loudest single laughs I've ever heard an audience let out, only challenged by the Borat naked fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Howard Beale posted:

No kidding! I think you're talking about my theater and I'm pretty sure I know which projectionist was behind that. One of his favorite stunts is timing the curtains at the end of The Wicker Man so they follow the receding sun.

Yeah, the Somerville Theater in Davis Square. Though it would depend on how long/when he worked there. This would've been 1999/2000 somewhere.