Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

I am the Wizard Master
For me it was the the Avengers Assemble scene at the end of Endgame. Getting all of those characters together to charge Thanos and his army after 10 years of build up was something that will forever be burned into my memory. So exhilarating and immersive to experience that with a packed theater on the big screen.

What are some others that delivered this experience for you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?
i saw Apollo 11 in an imax and it was 2 hours after i had run a marathon so it probably had something to do with the endorphins, BUT watching the launch sequence almost felt emotional

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

one time i had a laser pointer and i kept circling all the wrong answers during the pre-film trivia bumpers and some older cool kids thought it was funny

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

When he drank his own pee on Waterworld

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
the Speed Racer movie and the final race/final lap.

Aug 6, 2023

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I got incredibly stoned and saw Pink Flamingos on a 35mm print at a midnight screening, knowing absolutely nothing about it

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
Probably the time I spilled beans all over myself watching Cars 2

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i was ad libbing all these jokes and observations like a one man mst3k and everyone else in the cinema was hooting and hollering at all my witty one liners and at the end they all clapped and cheered for me and gave me rimjobs and suckjobs.

it. was. EPIC. :imunfunny:

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

the original Star Wars trilogy did a re-release in the 90s and I saw Empire Strikes Back in a packed theater when I was like 10, that was cool

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

When Dallas went into the vents with the motion detector.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

i was ad libbing all these jokes and observations like a one man mst3k and everyone else in the cinema was hooting and hollering at all my witty one liners and at the end they all clapped and cheered for me and gave me rimjobs and suckjobs.

it. was. EPIC. :imunfunny:

Unbeknownst to you, I was sitting behind you and ad libbing your ad libs to all my friends an they were clapping and giving you rimjobs and suckjobs ironically.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

PhazonLink posted:

the Speed Racer movie and the final race/final lap.

https://youtu.be/mYGuQlQseHU

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

The entirety of Mad Max Fury Road was amazing in the cinema, but the sandstorm scene or the start of the final action scene are probably the highlights.

Green Room was also pretty rad at the cinema because everybody was audibly and unabashedly unnerved and horrified and on the same wavelength.

Blue Labrador fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Aug 6, 2023

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
https://youtu.be/In3vPyyLbI0

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Blue Labrador posted:

The entirety of Mad Mac Fury Road was amazing in the cinema, but the sandstorm scene or the start of the final action scene are probably the highlights.

Green Room was also pretty rad at the cinema because everybody was audibly and unabashedly unnerved and horrified and on the same wavelength.

For real. That opening - what, 20 minutes? Absolutely amazing.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Watching The Great Mouse Detective with my mom, and the power went out after a summer monsoon microburst moved right over the theater. Complete darkness and non-stop thunder and lightning. The power never did turn back on, and we got a refund and watched it the following weekend.

Watching Speed in Tucson, AZ, and Jack figures out there’s a camera on board by Annie’s sweatshirt. He asks her some things about going to the University of Arizona before finishing with, “Arizona Wildcats” slowly, and the entire theater erupts into a hooting and hollering frenzy.

That one specific scene in Hereditary; you know the one. I’ve never heard a simultaneous gasp followed by completely shocked silence before.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I'll be honest, the Yoda fight at end of one of the prequels(second one?) sent my opening night, midnight showing through the roof. The stare, the opening of the robe, the lightsaber flying into his hand. poo poo was a wild ride.

It wasn't at the theater, but in my high school auditorium, but when Inigo Montoya skewers Count Rugan, all the students cheered and clapped.

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

I AM A PREDATOR AND WILL ABSOLUTELY SAVE YOUR MEDICAL/IRL INFORMATION TO MY GOON.XLS AND HUNT YOU DOWN
When Hannibal Lecter eats Paul Kendrals' brain. I was really not expecting to see that.

I had taped and watched Silence of the Lambs the night before and was expecting something epic, not an adolescent gross out session.

I'm watching this review guy on youtube and he has a saying when it comes to bad movies, "Show, don't tell". I disagree.

I think he's talking about low budget crap and exposition being an excuse for lack of scenery and effects. Well, Silence of the Lambs didn't have a scene of Dr. Lecter butchering that guy to eat his liver, the film just told us it happened. And it was more effective than any gore scene could have been. Because the guy doing the telling was Anthony freaking Hopkins!!!

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 24 days!)

first showing midnight when theaters did midnight openings in a packed theater of Snakes on a Plane.
in retrospective, a poo poo movie, but crowd for it.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.
The film snagged and ended up catching fire when I went to watch Mr. Magoo. Either that or when my buddy fell off the little stage in front of the screen finding his seat for Fellowship of the Ring.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
For reals Cap grabbing the hammer in endgame

And the to be continued at the end of Spiderverse2 because two people yelled WHAT THE gently caress and there was pandemonium in the theater

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Wizard Master posted:

For me it was the the Avengers Assemble scene at the end of Endgame. Getting all of those characters together to charge Thanos and his army after 10 years of build up was something that will forever be burned into my memory. So exhilarating and immersive to experience that with a packed theater on the big screen.

What are some others that delivered this experience for you?

yeah. same. the whole iron man scene. that whole movie was fun and good. marvel has plenty of issues but the audiance poo poo makes me love them.

favorite though was going to see guardians 3 and when they pull High evolutionaries face off some girl in the back loudly shouted "JESUS CHRIST". it made me laugh. also lots of loud sniffles in that movie.

also i was a jack rear end and laughed really loving hard when the whole "mutt died in vietnam" thing came up.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 6, 2023

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Going to see The Matrix for the first time with friends at the dollar theater, then going like four more times after that trying to get other friends and family to see this movie in theaters which was just chock full of the coolest poo poo I'd ever seen

Even on showing #3 or 4 the theater was still pretty cool and the audience was lively, it was a great time every time

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ElectricSheep posted:

Going to see The Matrix for the first time with friends at the dollar theater, then going like four more times after that trying to get other friends and family to see this movie in theaters which was just chock full of the coolest poo poo I'd ever seen

Even on showing #3 or 4 the theater was still pretty cool and the audience was lively, it was a great time every time

I smoked weed with this guy who was married to a MUCH older lady, and he was all paranoid about the smell. Then we saw The Matrix at a matinee and it blew my mind. I forgot about his old lady.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
this is among the wizard master threads,

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Spider-Man Spiderverse when there’s the doc oc genderbend. This answer probably reveals I don’t go to the theaters often, if at all. But I’m seriously glad I paid almost $30 for all the visual bells and whistles for that movie.

I only wish I liked the second movie nearly as much :smith:

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
The ewok yub nub festivities boy weren't they having a time

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Wee posted:

The ewok yub nub festivities boy weren't they having a time

YUB NUB!

Buce
Dec 23, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
the scene in basic instinct when michael douglas coyly uncrosses his legs

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
Phantom Menace taught 13-year-old me an epic lesson in tempering expectations and succumbing to hype

AvesPKS
Sep 26, 2004

I don't dance unless I'm totally wasted.
I saw Blade 2 on the South Side of Chicago at a midnight showing. The audience reaction during basically the entire movie was epic. Never before or since did I encounter an audience as invested in the movie they were watching and it just made the experience so much better.

AvesPKS fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Aug 6, 2023

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Unironically, the explanation of the main character's daughter's death in Gravity.

Stone: I had a daughter. She was four. She was at school, playing tag. Slipped, hit her head, and that was it. Stupidest thing

There was a pause, then my wife loudly said "Wait... what in the gently caress" then the theater started confused murmuring.

We still quote that line from that forgettable, throwaway movie all these years later.

Drunk Nerds fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Aug 6, 2023

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

When Ethan Hunt was climbing that building with the sticky gloves in Mission Impossible 4, I saw it at an imax and it looked amazing and was so tense.

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

There's nothing epic about sitting down and seeing film projected on a wall. You're deluding yourself.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Way back 100 years ago when I saw the first Beverly Hills Cop movie there's a scene where Eddie Murphy quickly skillfully disarms a bad guy

And since I have a big mouth and no filter even back then I said "holy poo poo" out loud without thinking

It happened to be right when the movie was silent and everyone burst out laughing in the packed theater

Yes this really happened
My friends were thrilled, I was shocked

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Lister posted:

There's nothing epic about sitting down and seeing film projected on a wall. You're deluding yourself.

Epic post

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

I AM A PREDATOR AND WILL ABSOLUTELY SAVE YOUR MEDICAL/IRL INFORMATION TO MY GOON.XLS AND HUNT YOU DOWN

AvesPKS posted:

I saw Blade 2 on the South Side of Chicago at a midnight showing. The audience reaction during basically the entire movie was epic. Never before or since did I encounter an audience as invested in the movie they were watching and it just made the experience so much better.

The same thing happened when I watched Thy Spy Who Shagged Me.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
Yes I saw Wayne's World with a crowd of thrilled people that is fun when the whole audience is into it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

"Fly, you fools!"