Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

you open a web site on an out-of-the-box macbook (the most turnkey normal person computer there is) and the height of the bread text is the width of your thumbprint

i am sure this is some "best practice" and there is a good reason for it

what is that?

matti fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Aug 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matti
Mar 31, 2019

like, my theory is people insisting on using Windows with way too low scaling but developing websites as if they did not

matti fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Aug 24, 2023

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

cause small text is hard to read, OP

matti
Mar 31, 2019

it's jsut poo poo and grinds my gears!

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

matti posted:

you open a web site on an out-of-the-box macbook (the most turnkey normal person computer there is) and the height of the bread text is the width of your thumbprint

what is that?

old ppl op

matti
Mar 31, 2019

Dijkstracula posted:

cause small text is hard to read, OP

but giant text is also

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

you going to a lot of bread websites or something op

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i will use this opportunity to once again complain about the awful app using two different font sizes for normal text, with quoted text smaller than normal, meaning that normal text is oversized if you set sizes to make everything comfortably readable.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i will use this opportunity to once again complain about the awful app using two different font sizes for normal text, with quoted text smaller than normal, meaning that normal text is oversized if you set sizes to make everything comfortably readable.

skill issue

matti
Mar 31, 2019

post hole digger posted:

Finnish
Etymology
leipä (“bread”) +‎ teksti (“text”); thus called because the typesetters were formerly paid by letter and the body was the part of the text from which they earned their daily bread.

i just like the term

matti
Mar 31, 2019

calque of German Brottext

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

matti posted:

what is that?

everything is built for terrible mobile poo poo now and they dont check desktop browsers. its the same reason youtube is so bad

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Shaggar posted:

everything is built for terrible mobile poo poo now and they dont check desktop browsers. its the same reason youtube is so bad

this is the real answer

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
remember when browsers gave you the option to choose your default fonts and colors?

matti
Mar 31, 2019

you can still do that and it _kind of_ still works

if you have a fairly high tolerance for broken website layouts

matti
Mar 31, 2019

but last time i unticked that box, few years ago, the internet was still fairly usable with it untucked

not sure how it is now

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its the fault of all the weirdos that for some reason think the optimal browser experience is pawing at a cell phone

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

Jonny 290 posted:

its the fault of all the weirdos that for some reason think the optimal browser experience is pawing at a cell phone

aka everyone who's not a computer toucher, and probably most computer touchers when they're not being paid to touch computers

well-read undead
Dec 13, 2022

but perhaps the tide will turn and we'll revert to the 9px verdana websites of 2003, who knows

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
ah time to tuck in on the couch for a little bit of "me time" and browsing my favorite web sights <gets rsi repeatedly scrolling on a 6" phone> this is living!

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

the fault isn't that people think phone browsing is better, it's that responsive web design is tricky and time consuming and the state of the industry means you only get enough design and dev resources to make it barely readable on mobile chrome/safari and then it's back to making more elements that pop over the screen to nag users to do stuff

Jonny 290 posted:

ah time to tuck in on the couch for a little bit of "me time" and browsing my favorite web sights <gets rsi repeatedly scrolling on a 6" phone> this is living!
just don't read anything long enough to require scrolling, problem solved!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
just make it work on desktop and then let the popups overwhelm the mobile version like normal. nobody will ever know the difference

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also many times the design is just bad on purpose ex: youtube

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

it's for grandma, OP

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

post hole digger posted:

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
op i have the browser zoom set to 125% for this site :batuka:

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

just tried that and that is horrid

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

op i have the browser zoom set to 125% for this site :batuka:

I also do this

matti
Mar 31, 2019

fix your display scaling, please

matti
Mar 31, 2019

"no i can totally still read this 10 point verdana" *sticks their head closer to the monitor*

matti fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Aug 24, 2023

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

i simply dont use a 1000000000p monitor

Brrrmph
Feb 27, 2016

Слава Україні!
I like my women like my fonts: big and curvy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Silver Alicorn posted:

I also do this

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

why would you need tiny fonts. every post here is shorter than a tweet anyway (Except mine)

make your eyes feel good

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I have a high dpi display because individual pixels are stinky

not to fit war and peace on one screen

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
op the problem is that you are reading text in the era of video content

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003