Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Turf or Grass
Turf
Grass
View Results

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
I know a lot of semi-professional soccer teams in the UK have started moving to artificial surfaces simply because they don't want to deal with a fixture pile-up at the end of the season when most of their players are still doing proper jobs during the day, and also it allows the pitches to be used for kids cup finals and not have to worry about the surface degrading

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Can artificial turf give us this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7DTNEa2E7w

It's the punt from Dolphins at Steelers 2007 where it just sticks right into the mud.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
The Kingdome's lovely concrete turf ruined Griffey's knees and I will never forgive them for it

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

We are starting to make a difference

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I've rejected multiple interviews

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

Turf looks better they should just make it work correctly. Make it out of better stuff

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
If artificial turf is so dangerous why don’t they just make some kind of synthetic grass?

MaximilianK
Jan 8, 2022
In college my home Rugby field was turf. Got pieces of rubber in my eyes scratching my cornea 3+ times.

Grass forever

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

They need to study it more but there could be health risks with the little shredded tire pieces they use to fill the artificial field. Not only scratching eyeballs but there are nasty chemicals in automobile tires. Whether or not swallowing a few tire bits during games or inhaling the dust will definitely give you cancer hasn't been proven yet but i think that idea is picking up steam. If you ask me they could use a purer more inert type of rubber or something other than car tires, which are manufactured with complex processes and ingredients you may not expect. PFAS and other things as posted earlier.

Just don't use shredded car tires for fill and avoid that problem?

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

palindrome posted:

They need to study it more but there could be health risks with the little shredded tire pieces they use to fill the artificial field. Not only scratching eyeballs but there are nasty chemicals in automobile tires. Whether or not swallowing a few tire bits during games or inhaling the dust will definitely give you cancer hasn't been proven yet but i think that idea is picking up steam. If you ask me they could use a purer more inert type of rubber or something other than car tires, which are manufactured with complex processes and ingredients you may not expect. PFAS and other things as posted earlier.

Except then the turf would probably cost 4x more with a pure filler vs shredded dead tires.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

toif

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

love da toif.

Maybe go the opposite direction and use turf fill that releases oxygen when agitated and helps players breathe better. :blessed:

nanobubbles™

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

once we find ways to scrape microplastic from our blood we'll need somewhere to put it

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Mostly I'm just sick of the bullshit

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I wonder if that's what will be the huge killer of our generation. The plastics. Or maybe vaping. People seem to vape a shitload without any long term studies completed.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

sweet thursday posted:

Mostly I'm just sick of the bullshit

So you’re saying they need to use less manure?

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I know a lot of semi-professional soccer teams in the UK have started moving to artificial surfaces simply because they don't want to deal with a fixture pile-up at the end of the season when most of their players are still doing proper jobs during the day, and also it allows the pitches to be used for kids cup finals and not have to worry about the surface degrading

Yes, but a lot of their fields actually use a hybrid system where artifical turf is planted alongside real grass which adds volume when it thins and gives the grass something to grow alongside and with.

quote:

Artificial pitches intertwine natural grass with synthetic fibres. Most often there is a base layer of rubber granules or sand, known as infill, which helps the grass to spring back up and prevents patches of damage. There are various different processes, but this is the one used by most football stadiums.

Since the pitches have improved, so have the way in which the lines are marked on a pitch. Historically you could visit any pitch and visibly notice wobbly lines, all with different widths. Line marking applicators are now more accurate than ever thanks to precise technology. .

Black Sunshine
Apr 4, 2004

LEFT 4 DEAD IS A LOT LIKE FOOTBALL - I JERK OFF TO BOTH

Amy Pole Her posted:

I wonder if that's what will be the huge killer of our generation.

Avocado toast

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

You may not like it but this is what peak performance looks like

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

palindrome posted:

The modern world means everything will kill you. Rather see the tires turned into field chunks than be buried on your water table or turned into the Springfield tire fire.

That said I'd be lightly concerned about high temps and the rubber releasing stuff and they probably could study what chemicals seep out at what temps that can be seen on a field as the planet heats up. Mostly cause they do get way hotter than a grass field and that has its own health complications, might as well look at it all eventually.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

And they all smoked and drank at halftime

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Notorious ZSB posted:

they probably could study what chemicals seep out at what temps that can be seen on a field as the planet heats up.

The Earth isn't going to heat up enough for that. They already know how hot tire material can get before it starts breaking down and you'd need surface temps to increase by triple digits for that to happen.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Artificial turf broke Burrow's throwing wrist. It's absolutely loving disgusting what they're letting happen out there on the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
sweet thursday games dont count