Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Turf or Grass
Turf
Grass
View Results

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I'm sick of the bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

let me ask you something. is there a type of turf that's not even pretending to be artificial grass at all? on tv, there was this type of artificial football field that seemed most popular in the late 1990s. it looked like it was just a solid block of material on the ground painted green, the entire thing. possibly one complete stretch of rubber or a similar compound. i like that one, unless it wasn't what it appeared to be, and was very short fake grass after all. i couldn't tell. there wasn't HD. i'm sure it hurted a lot to fall on and wouldn't have helped with injuries either. i'm not talking about that stuff right now

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

it might have been short astroturf. it would have looked like this up close

but on the television it appeared solid, so i want to make sure it wasn't something different and solid, not astroturf. if that existed i'd like to know what it was.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Cavauro posted:

it might have been short astroturf. it would have looked like this up close

but on the television it appeared solid, so i want to make sure it wasn't something different and solid, not astroturf. if that existed i'd like to know what it was.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

Wet
Pro Skub

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

is this thread about freakin weed strains?? lmaaaoo

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

I smoke exclusively natural grass

epic bacon
Sep 19, 2022

Cavauro posted:

let me ask you something. is there a type of turf that's not even pretending to be artificial grass at all? on tv, there was this type of artificial football field that seemed most popular in the late 1990s. it looked like it was just a solid block of material on the ground painted green, the entire thing. possibly one complete stretch of rubber or a similar compound. i like that one, unless it wasn't what it appeared to be, and was very short fake grass after all. i couldn't tell. there wasn't HD. i'm sure it hurted a lot to fall on and wouldn't have helped with injuries either. i'm not talking about that stuff right now

it's pretty hilarious they used to play on this stuff

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Why would anyone do drugs when they could just mow a lawn?

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
NFL players should play on the surface they use for kid's playgrounds.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The problem with natural grass is you have to maintain it, and that's :10bux: the owners don't want to spend.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

In the off-season I'll watch old NFL highlights and it's hard not to feel sorry for the guys who played on the painted concrete of the day.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Cavauro posted:

I'm impressed Minnesotans even enjoyed sports considering this is what they were working with

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

AndrewP posted:

I'm impressed Minnesotans even enjoyed sports considering this is what they were working with

how you gonna watch a baseball team named after your girls tits

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

3 DONG HORSE posted:

how you gonna watch a baseball team named after your girls tits

you say this like anything tits related is a bad thing

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

AndrewP posted:

It may not surprise you to learn a lot of marketing material during the construction of Target Field was about the grass. It paid off pretty quickly by giving us this moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWQn4BzAaHM

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

epic bacon posted:

retvrn

maruhkati
Sep 29, 2021

NAZ REID

AndrewP posted:

I loved going to Twins games at the Dome when I was a kid. Went all the time because tickets cost my parents about as much as a bag of chips and the family pack came with a free hot dog and drink for four. I was just a dumb kid so I didn't care that the team sucked back then.

Then I went to Wrigley Field while visiting Grandma in Chicago and I realized "Oh, the Metrodome is just not a suitable place for baseball at all." Target Field's a great ballpark, and I've got the point of comparison to properly appreciate it.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Artificial turf and middle 30s blew up Kelce's leg

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
same turf may have also claimed Justin Jefferson

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

It's time the attention turned to natural, thick, properly grown and manicured lawn

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Just play on sand no one has ever gotten hurt playing on sand

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Artificial turf is a cancer (literally)
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/mar/10/phillies-ball-players-cancer-artifical-turf

quote:

A report on a possible link between a rare brain cancer that killed six professional US baseball players and toxic chemicals in artificial turf is raising a new round of questions over whether synthetic sports fields pose a health threat to athletes and others who use them.

The six athletes, who all died from glioblastoma, played most of their careers with the Philadelphia Phillies, a team that for decades competed on artificial turf in Veterans Stadium, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

All artificial turf is made with toxic PFAS compounds and some types are still produced with recycled tires that can contain heavy metals, benzene, volatile organic compounds and other carcinogens, and a growing number of US municipalities and states have banned or proposed banning them.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Cavauro posted:

Yes. They don't really use it anymore. Getting tackled on it felt like getting tackled on a mat made out of the scrubby side of a dish sponge laid over hard ground.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
i liked when the little black rubber balls were all over daniel joness face. it made me feel things

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Does lambeau use tall fescue or some Ryegrass?? Bermuda and st Augustine wouldn’t survive the winter, and Kentucky blue grass wouldn’t survive being trampled on like that

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

https://twitter.com/Super70sSports/status/983365373604040704?lang=en

AndrewP posted:

Also the Metrodome was good at one thing. Being a football stadium that seemingly had a baseball field crammed into it, so there was a ton of seating and you could go to a game for 5$ on Tuesdays, which was also dollar hotdog night which ruled in high school / college

Paint Crop Pro fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Oct 10, 2023

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

epic bacon posted:

yeah it was basically carpet lol

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

his loss its good poo poo

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

If you cannot pay for the grass field to be good (just look at the Super Bowl last year no one can loving do it really) you should just pay for the turf and save the water and have a consistent playing surface.

I hate almost twisting my ankle on grass fields because they aren't level or maintained fully. A real grass field is loving expensive, and while it has some distinct upsides (temperature of the playing surface, generally nicer to fall on, looks very good when its right) so many of them are not maintained or have the right grass type for the region etc making them miserable to play on and upkeep.

Plenty of used tires around, they drain better, don't cost water to upkeep, and won't end up ruined by midseason through use when you cannot pay to maintain them properly.

Astroturf was/is a loving nightmare though. Its just a drat green carpet over concrete with no padding, that poo poo is loving awful. I cannot fathom how professional athletes said "yeah thats fine". Your knees and joints hurt so bad after you do anything on them.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

still undecided

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The Notorious ZSB posted:

If you cannot pay for the grass field to be good

then you shouldn't be an owner

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

epic bacon posted:

When I was a kid in the late 90s, I went on a field trip to some kind of sports museum where they had actual astroturf you could go on. They had us sit on it for some reason, and I will never forget my instant horror that professional athletes played on this stuff every week. If your were wearing shorts as I was, it felt like you were losing a layer of skin on your legs if you even adjusted them slightly while sitting. It was as hard as a basketball floor, but felt like steel wool. Thinking of all the guys I had seen sliding on this stuff or getting slammed on it horrified me. I was relieved when all NFL teams finally moved on to field turf in the early 2000s, although that apparently has its own set of problems. At least it doesn't feel like coarse-grain sandpaper wrapped around a slab of concrete.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Baseball on the original astroturf was especially ridiculous because the ball would bounce almost as if it was made of rubber and grounders would roll forever

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Borsche69 posted:

then you shouldn't be an owner

these fuckers won't pay for their own stadiums and you think they'll pay for proper grass?

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

The Notorious ZSB posted:

these fuckers won't pay for their own stadiums and you think they'll pay for proper grass?

i'm not naive. i'm stating how things should be, not as they are.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

I think there's enough data to back up the claim that it's time to kick artificial turf to the curb

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

did you know it's seriously "kerb" outside of north america? they have little child thoughts. but seriously? i have zero problem with kerb. just fooling around.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Tepper tore up one of the best natural grass fields in the league for articifical because he wanted more tractor supply country music shows if that is any indication about how you should feel about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Lionel Messi has a clause in his MLS contract that permits him to skip matches played on artificial turf. Now I'm sure that's only something a guy of Messi's caliber could get an MLS club could agree to because he's bigger than the entire league combined, but he simply wants nothing to do with artificial turf. He's already sat out several matches due to it