Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Could be worse, some refs are deliberately based in Mexico. US refs are just incompetent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Rick Knox crossed a line last week. There was no reason for him to just stop counting.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

ChrisBTY posted:

Rick Knox crossed a line last week. There was no reason for him to just stop counting.

hes basically aew's steve mazzagatti

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
He thought Moxley kicked out. Fenix hit the move again and he made the count. It had absolutely zero effect on the result of the match. This is such a non-story.

People bagging on refs is like, insane to me. This poo poo happens at a million miles an hour and wrestling officiating is in the loving stone age compared to every other major sport. These guys are just normal people going out there with these hulking roided up freaks of nature who are so powerful, they'll give you a massive concussion by just brushing up against you and you have to be within a couple feet of them at all times and they're given no safeguards or safety nets of any kind to help them do their jobs.

If you think Rick Knox should lose his job because a match lasted five seconds longer than it should've, you're a psycopath. What're you, concerned about Fenix's win being a little awkward or something? Gimme a loving break, this ain't a TV show, it's a sport.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

its time for kim winslow to become #AllElite

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
I'm reminded of Triple H vs. Undertaker at Wrestlemania X-7. That was when Mike Chioda got knocked out and rather than helping the ref out they let them just run amok all over the arena.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

MJeff posted:

He thought Moxley kicked out. Fenix hit the move again and he made the count. It had absolutely zero effect on the result of the match. This is such a non-story

You're going to tell me a man who is already knocked out being picked up and piledriven directly on to his head again is a non story? The same man won but that was unnecessary. He should have just called the fight once he realized he made a mistake since Fenix obviously already won by TKO.

But coming from someone who thinks a man who had trouble putting away a child could beat a former world champ who has had, like, one singles loss in the last year your perception here is skewed all around

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
At least Swerve has beat somebody. What's Hangman done in the last year? Beat The Bounty Hunter?

Also, almost nobody ever calls TKOs in American wrestling unless a guy is actively being choked out.

And no, for the record, I am not overly infused with sympathy that the guy who went insane and started stabbing people with screwdrivers took a wrestling move during a wrestling match. Frankly, after what he did to Fenix, he deserved worse.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Sep 30, 2023

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Nick Wayne barely counts as someone, especially when Hangman has beat that screwdriver using psychopath both fair and in a deathmatch.

Swerve has potential but he always chokes. Choked against OC. Choked against Darby and Sting. He's a choke artist

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

OK, real talk: why haven't House Of Torture been fired?

I get it, sometimes really ambitious guys take shortcuts when the ref isn't looking. I don't love it but it happens. But HoT deliberately go out there to cheat. Every show.

Surely there has to be consequences for this. It's not like the shows aren't recorded. All it would take would be someone in power to care and it would be really easy to establish a pattern of behaviour.

Get rid of them, they shift some merch but that's not reason enough to shred your reputation for these hooligans.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

MJeff posted:

At least Swerve has beat somebody. What's Hangman done in the last year? Beat The Bounty Hunter?

Also, almost nobody ever calls TKOs in American wrestling unless a guy is actively being choked out.

And no, for the record, I am not overly infused with sympathy that the guy who went insane and started stabbing people with screwdrivers took a wrestling move during a wrestling match. Frankly, after what he did to Fenix, he deserved worse.

bro fenix was hitting people with hammers like, what, a year ago? that's at least as dangerous, both these fuckers should be stopped.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Who will be able to beat Roman Reigns? He’s beaten everyone in the business…. WWE seriously need to start doing what UFC do and strip their champs if they don’t defend after a certain duration because this is getting ridiculous!

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

He's a bigger cheat than MJF, and you can tell the league's marketing is behind him and is fine with putting the finger on the scales in his direction since there's never been anyone publicly even commenting on the help he's needed to win the few times he actually defends his title. WWE is an illegitimate organization and a joke as long as they let man demean everything about this sport

Remember that time KO had him beaten and the ref stopped calling the count after his manager said something to him? More blatant than anything I've ever seen of corporate officiating

Big Coffin Hunter fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 30, 2023

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I wonder why they never got bigger refs to more easily withstand the odd blow. current sized refs go down like a sack of bricks and stay down!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Remember that time KO had him beaten and the ref stopped calling the count after his manager said something to him? More blatant than anything I've ever seen of corporate officiating

Paul Heyman definitely had that ref on the take.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

Suplex Liberace posted:

I wonder why they never got bigger refs to more easily withstand the odd blow. current sized refs go down like a sack of bricks and stay down!

This drives me freaking crazy. I don't know if they do it much anymore but I remember watching some fights with my dad as a kid and they would sometimes bring another wrestler out to act as a ref, and it was amazing! You really didn't have to worry about their safety like you would a hired ref, but the most surprising kicker was this-- wrestlers know how other wrestlers act, and they know how they cheat. So when you've got another wrestler out reffing, you've got someone who can actually be in proximity of the fighters safely, while also spotting their tricks wayyyyy more often. It's a freakin no brainer and it's crazy to me we don't see more fighters switching to reffing when their fight career is up.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lamuella posted:

I get it, sometimes really ambitious guys take shortcuts when the ref isn't looking. I don't love it but it happens. But HoT deliberately go out there to cheat. Every show.

Surely there has to be consequences for this. It's not like the shows aren't recorded. All it would take would be someone in power to care and it would be really easy to establish a pattern of behaviour.

Get rid of them, they shift some merch but that's not reason enough to shred your reputation for these hooligans.

It's a tactic, they rile up their opponents until they agree to stipulations that they can take advantage of, like how they've been doing with Just 5 4 Guys, baiting Taichi into the handcuff stip by having Sho suggest an obviously unfair stipulation that no-one would vote for, and SANADA wanting the lumberjack match and then they sprung the Kanemaru poaching on them. And because their opponents want revenge, they lobby management not to fire them. It sucks that it works, but until someone beats them at their own game...

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Roman is the one of the biggest frauds in the history of the sport, but more concerning than that is that he's clearly suffering from some kind of undiagnosed personality disorder and they just keep.....letting him fight people!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB0J1kgWOXs

Try and tell me this is how a well functioning adult reacts to losing a wrestling match.

Nea posted:

bro fenix was hitting people with hammers like, what, a year ago? that's at least as dangerous, both these fuckers should be stopped.

He was being pressured to do it by that psycho PAC and his brother doesn't give a gently caress. Notice how whenever PAC is on one of his forty hiatuses per year, Fenix doesn't cause any trouble, but PAC comes back and he's just fine associating with scumbags like the BCC and getting Fenix hurt. Dude is terrible for the Lucha Bros and Penta is honestly a bad brother for not protecting Fenix from this poo poo.

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

for real! hockey has fights, but fights have rules. im a fan of boston sports and the bruins' marty mcsorely got blacklisted from the NHL and charged with assault for an on-ice attack! when c.m. punk was fired, the a.e.w. president said he wanted to make his organization a safe working environment. if you can ATTACK A CO-WORKER WITH A HAMMER and face no repercussions, what are we doing here, tony? what a joke

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Lamuella posted:

Ok listen, I know this is backstage stuff and people get upset about that in the thread but it's the contracts. With the contacts these wrestlers get+the guarantees from the pay window the company is locked in if they cheat. Hell, picking up the wins by cheating continues your contact since you keep winning! It's a mess.

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.

MJeff posted:

Roman is the one of the biggest frauds in the history of the sport, but more concerning than that is that he's clearly suffering from some kind of undiagnosed personality disorder and they just keep.....letting him fight people!

Roman isn't anywhere near the top 50 in terms of wrestlers that are fighting while having some unresolved brain issues. Just look at SHO, dude clearly had a psychotic break and NJPW just let's him associate with House of Torture like they're not just enabling his problems. At least WWE is only broadcasting Roman's other lovely behavior.

But yeah, Roman is a fraud as champ. At least AEW makes MJF defend his title more than once a year.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gumball Gumption posted:

Ok listen, I know this is backstage stuff and people get upset about that in the thread but it's the contracts. With the contacts these wrestlers get+the guarantees from the pay window the company is locked in if they cheat. Hell, picking up the wins by cheating continues your contact since you keep winning! It's a mess.

NJPW is kind of crazy that way. It's who wins, period. Which sounds great on paper, as long as you have guys who want to, you know, fight fair, and for the record, that's most of their guys, they do a really good job instilling those values at the ground floor in their trainees, Hontai has a really good deal with the company because they do such a good job instilling those values in the trainees, but sometimes you get an aberration like Bullet Club, who mostly consists of people from outside of that development system and they keep winning, so the company doesn't do anything about them.

I'll give MJF the tiniest bit of credit compared to say, Roman. MJF cheated his rear end off and engaged in some pretty disgusting emotional abuse to beat Bryan Danielson, but he did, at the end of the day, survive all of Bryan's moves. He kicked out of the Busaiku Knee after wrestling for 60 minutes. I don't think I've ever seen that in my life. Meanwhile, Roman tapped out to the LeBell Lock in front of God and everybody and it just....didn't matter.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Speaking of refs: Sometimes the refs get hit by accident. Stuff happens. But when they hit the ref intentionally that should be a fine and suspension at least. I remember HHH fighting, I think Shawn Micheals, in Hell in a Cell with Tim White as the ref. HHH attacked White so often that I thought he was in the match. Injured him bad too. He didn't come back to ref for a long time and when he did it was so obvious that those injuries completely ruined his life. He was clearly in no state to do his job but losing his job because he was attacked on the job would have been another injustice. HHH should have been fired and sued at the very least. He probably should have been incarcerated too. But I guess being the boss's son-in-law has its benefits.

Ibexaz
Jul 23, 2013

The faces he makes while posting are inexcusable! When he writes a post his face is like a troll double checking bones to see if there's any meat left! When I post I look like a peacock softly kissing a rose! Didn't his parents provide him with a posting mirror to practice forums faces growing up?

ChrisBTY posted:

Speaking of refs: Sometimes the refs get hit by accident. Stuff happens. But when they hit the ref intentionally that should be a fine and suspension at least. I remember HHH fighting, I think Shawn Micheals, in Hell in a Cell with Tim White as the ref. HHH attacked White so often that I thought he was in the match. Injured him bad too. He didn't come back to ref for a long time and when he did it was so obvious that those injuries completely ruined his life. HHH should have been fired and sued at the very least. He probably should have been incarcerated too. But I guess being the boss's son-in-law has its benefits.

I honestly think this kind of stuff has to be resulting from some crazy loophole from when this sport was first televised or something. Like let's look at all the times a regular interview with a wrestler backstage will turn into an all out brawl. How many times have you seen someone actually punished for this? Who got in trouble for almost killing Don Callis? I don't care if he's an rear end in a top hat, he deserves to feel safe at work.

It's almost like as long as the gets caught on camera you're in the clear to behave however you want, so fighters will wait in ambush to attack others while the show is going live. They know exactly how to bend the system to continue behaving like psychopaths. This sport is disgusting.

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello
I can't believe WWE allowed The Undertaker and Kane to wrestle for as long as they did without making an official ruling on whether supernatural powers are legal in a match

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

JR said they should have 2 refs for big multi-mans during the picture in picture break last night during an 8-man tag. it is good to see my posting power has increased and at least one organization is aware of my pleas for more refs to cut down on blatant rule violations

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Purple Monkey posted:

I can't believe WWE allowed The Undertaker and Kane to wrestle for as long as they did without making an official ruling on whether supernatural powers are legal in a match

We’re still dealing with the fallout of their indecision. Julia Hart is spraying people with black mist and blinding them and they act like this isn’t a big deal. Meanwhile, Julia turned goth because she got sprayed and Cody’s hair turned black. This stuff is evil and they need to ban it from the sport.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Magic isn't real. They're using old school illusionists tricks to win matches and play head games but it's not actual magic lol

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
It's really annoying that one of the best American-born strikers of all time is such a hokey cornball and a terrible person.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Gumball Gumption posted:

Magic isn't real. They're using old school illusionists tricks to win matches and play head games but it's not actual magic lol

Are you suggesting the production crew are in on it and helping them 'teleport' in and out? :aaa:

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

Gumball Gumption posted:

Then how did the Undertaker disappear when Kane locked him in a casket and set it on fire? He’s definitely able to teleport.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Y'all think it's weird that Rikishi tried to murder Steve Austin and we all just forgot about it?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

TL posted:

Then how did the Undertaker disappear when Kane locked him in a casket and set it on fire? He’s definitely able to teleport.

Yeah, he’s got a varied list of powers. He can:

Teleport
Summon lightning
Fiddle with the arena lighting
Possess people
Control the big ol’ display to talk mess to his rivals
Recover from most things and be more or less fine fairly quickly

Leaving a casket as it’s set on fire would be child’s play for him.

Gonzo McFee posted:

Y'all think it's weird that Rikishi tried to murder Steve Austin and we all just forgot about it?

Yeah, why didn’t he get arrested? Also, he confessed to all manner of crimes in his theme song. Why didn’t anyone call the police on him?

edogawa rando fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Oct 1, 2023

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Gaz-L posted:

Are you suggesting the production crew are in on it and helping them 'teleport' in and out? :aaa:

If I'm working production and the Undertaker is "asking" me to sabotage the casket so he can slip out if things get bad? I'm doing it and taking the envelope he offers me for it.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

If Undertaker is no magic man, then how did he possess Josh Matthew’s that one time?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hypnotic suggestion I’d wager.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

A reputation, superstitious opponents, a speaker, and paying Josh Mathews $20 to play along

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's not that weird, before instant replay and better regulations most pro sports had this problem. The Boston Braves once lost a game in 1929 due to the original starting pitcher being spooked out of Fenway Park when "a phantasm was projected onto the outfield wall" by the opposing team

Gumball Gumption fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Oct 1, 2023

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
We're all ignoring the real controversy in this sport, the fact that competitors are able to compete and even win title matches without ever disclosing their real identities to the public. WWE even has the so-called 'mystery king' holding the prestigious United States title! And AEW has a similar issue with the International belt!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Gaz-L posted:

We're all ignoring the real controversy in this sport, the fact that competitors are able to compete and even win title matches without ever disclosing their real identities to the public. WWE even has the so-called 'mystery king' holding the prestigious United States title! And AEW has a similar issue with the International belt!

Normally I'd be okay with wrestlers keeping their identities secret. Villainous opponents and families don't mix. The problem comes when someone who has broken the rules and been suspended or fired uses it as a trick to circumvent duly constituted authority. We all remember the Mr America debacle.