Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

great big cardboard tube posted:

Just wear contacts and you can wear non prescription sunglasses when needed OP

If you can, do this. If you can afford to bypass this and have a scrip that is easily lasered, do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

this is a good reminder. the glasses i got from zenni in 2014 have built up enough little lens or coating scratches that it's probaly time to replace them. are they still the best option around for online glasses? i remember there were a few competitor sites offering the same type of thing.

guess i also haven't had an eye exam since 2014 either, but i assume i'm fine to just reorder the same thing because i use a 4k monitor with no scaling just fine and don't get headaches

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

lol, also remembering now that the optometrist i went to last time gave me my lens prescription but refused to do the pupil distance measurement required to order glasses unless i ordered a pair of frames from his store. ended up just holding a ruler up to my forehead and taking a photo and adding 1 mm because the ruler was a bit closer to the camera than my eyes.

i guess it worked, eat poo poo optometrists

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Every time I go in, they have me put my chin on this machine and look at a picture of a farmhouse. It goes in and out of focus.

The actual visit appears to just be them verifying what the farmhouse machine recommends for my prescription.

I wonder how much longer until you can just get your eyes checked at a mall kiosk with a picture of a farmhouse.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

goatface posted:

If you can, do this. If you can afford to bypass this and have a scrip that is easily lasered, do that.
i really want to laser my eyeballs soon

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

yeah I’ll probably get lasered in the next couple years. price has come waaaay down these days.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
A family friend got that done and said bright light gave her headaches until the day she died.

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!

cruft posted:

Every time I go in, they have me put my chin on this machine and look at a picture of a farmhouse. It goes in and out of focus.

My doctor uses the same thing except it’s a picture of a hot air balloon.

I bought prescription sunglasses around 2015 for about $250, and then I was always worried about scratching the sunglasses because they were so expensive. I bought prescription sunglasses from Zenni last year for about 50 bucks and they’ve worked out great.

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Any time lasering comes up all I can think about is that episode of home movies when Coach mcgurk gets laser eye surgery.

Griz
May 21, 2001

cruft posted:

The actual visit appears to just be them verifying what the farmhouse machine recommends for my prescription.

I wonder how much longer until you can just get your eyes checked at a mall kiosk with a picture of a farmhouse.

apparently they had did teladoc vision exams via phone somehow for some time? i have no loving idea how that works but when I went a few months ago the local Luxottica-owned chain made me wait half an hour past appointment time for basic eye exam

they did the eye puff thing then i had to wait another half hour to see the actual eye doc

turns out medicaid won't pay for high-index lenses so my -8 plus astigmatism prescription resulted in half inch thick lenses and the rear end in a top hat who filed the order in the first place put "customer aware of lens thickness"
motherfucker you didn't tell me they wouldn't pay for high index after EVERY OTHER VISION INSURANCE I HAD COVERED IT

then they wanted $400 for decent glasses

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
So they have special thinner lenses for broke eyes but insurance doesn't always cover it so some people still get coke bottles? Hmm. Sounds like capitalism.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The different thin-ness of lenses go up to incredibly expensive and effective, if you don't mind everything having a rainbow fringe.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

great big cardboard tube posted:

Just wear contacts and you can wear non prescription sunglasses when needed OP

Contacts suck at correcting pretty much any astigmatism and similar things. I hate wearing them and seeing everything almost clearly but still off.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
get laser surgery i did 10+ years ago and its been incredible

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Did you get those eye crustovers like Homer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Mr. Crow posted:

get laser surgery i did 10+ years ago and its been incredible

I want to, honestly. I had a conversation about it in another thread but I'd still wear frames afterwards otherwise I'd feel naked after all these years.