Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i haven't had to buy new sunglasses in about 10 years. Now they're like 400 bucks. has anybody investigated this phenomenon?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griz
May 21, 2001

all the optician chains merged and jacked the prices way up. just get your prescription and order from zenni for like $80

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Did you know prescription sunglasses will peel/crack/break if you leave them in the sun too long?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Griz posted:

all the optician chains merged and jacked the prices way up. just get your prescription and order from zenni for like $80

that seems much more reasonable

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Looking into it 😎

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

BATS FLY AT MOON posted:

Looking into it 😎

😎

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

in canada theres a really cheap place https://www.clearly.ca/en-ca idk about in america though

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

A huge number of glasses companies in the US are all owned by the same parent company, Luxottica, which is based in Italy and not subject to US anti-monopoly laws.

"Wikipedia posted:

Luxottica retails its products through stores that it owns, predominantly LensCrafters, Sunglass Hut, Pearle Vision, Target Optical, and Glasses.com. It also owns EyeMed, one of the largest vision health insurance providers. In addition to licensing prescription and non-prescription sunglasses frames for many luxury and designer brands including Chanel, Prada, Giorgio Armani, Burberry, Versace, Dolce and Gabbana, Michael Kors, Coach, Miu Miu and Tory Burch,[7] the Italian conglomerate further outright owns and manufacturers Ray-Ban, Persol, Oliver Peoples, and Oakley. Luxottica's market power has allowed it to charge price markups of up to 1000%.[8]

"Wikipedia posted:

In 2019, LensCrafters founder E. Dean Butler spoke to the Los Angeles Times, admitting that Luxottica's dominance of the eyewear industry had resulted in price markups of nearly 1,000%. In the interview, Butler noted "You can get amazingly good frames, with a Warby Parker level of quality, for $4 to $8. For $15, you can get designer-quality frames, like what you'd get from Prada." When told that some eyeglasses cost as much as $800 in the United States, Butler remarked, "I know. It's ridiculous. It's a complete rip-off."[59][60][61]

Unfortunately many of the alternatives aren't much better. Warby Parker is a loving awful company that treats their employees like absolute poo poo, for example, and their prices aren't all that great either. :(

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Oct 13, 2023

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I just went to Best Buy and had them put window tint on my glasses. Dropped an extra hundo to get the Sun ‘n Sound package too, now y’all know when I’m rollin up 😎

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

I. M. Gei posted:

A huge number of glasses companies in the US are all owned by the same parent company, Luxottica, which is based in Italy and not subject to US anti-monopoly laws.

Unfortunately many of the alternatives aren't much better. Warby Parker is a loving awful company that treats their employees like absolute poo poo, for example, and their prices aren't all that great either. :(

I had no idea Luxottica owned Lenscrafters and Eyemed.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I had no idea Luxottica owned Lenscrafters and Eyemed.

yeah Luxotica is a real cancer

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

i should've known this was somehow the italians' fault

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

:cool:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Griz posted:

I also recommend EyeBuyDirect or TIJN.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Only rich rockstars wear sunglasses anyway. Proles squint.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

Please tell me ibuydirect isn't loving awful.

e: Holy poo poo, they're owned by Luxottica now.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Icochet posted:

Only rich rockstars wear sunglasses anyway. Proles squint.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
I'll second Zenni, been using them for nearly a decade and it's so much cheaper compared to whatever you can get in person + there's tons of style options. You can easily get a pair for between 40-60 bucks during promotional periods (one should be coming up with the holidays) and the virtual try on thing has been pretty accurate in my experience. And hell that's for prescription glasses with fancy transitional lenses attached, it's probably even less for just sunglasses

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I thought I was getting a good deal at eyeBuyDirect. It wound up costing less to pay them full price than going through a company approved by my insurance.

$60 for transition lenses and frames sounds even less.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

February 6th 2009, next question.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope
Me & my Zennis, $25 -- my prescription is only -1 in both eyes though, which might make a difference

edit:

Blood Nightmaster posted:

I'll second Zenni, been using them for nearly a decade and it's so much cheaper compared to whatever you can get in person + there's tons of style options. You can easily get a pair for between 40-60 bucks during promotional periods (one should be coming up with the holidays) and the virtual try on thing has been pretty accurate in my experience. And hell that's for prescription glasses with fancy transitional lenses attached, it's probably even less for just sunglasses

:hmmyes:

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
hey can i measure my own PD "good enough" or do i really have to pay a glasses place to do it for me?

my state sucks and they dont have a law that says that infomation is "private" or some poo poo.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

YeahTubaMike posted:

Me & my Zennis, $25 -- my prescription is only -1 in both eyes though, which might make a difference

:love: :love:

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

PhazonLink posted:

hey can i measure my own PD "good enough" or do i really have to pay a glasses place to do it for me?

my state sucks and they dont have a law that says that infomation is "private" or some poo poo.

Personally, I had my eyes checked, asked them for my PD, then while they were explaining to me why they couldn't just give it to me, I read it off the machine

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

that's so weird. i just had the doc print out a copy of all the diagnostic results and the prescription. how can they keep that from you???

Griz
May 21, 2001

Buce posted:

that's so weird. i just had the doc print out a copy of all the diagnostic results and the prescription. how can they keep that from you???

they do it on purpose to "encourage" people to buy their overpriced poo poo. my copy of the prescription had everything except PD

zenni app does some magic that involves holding a magstripe card on your forehead and that worked well enough, then they send you a PD ruler with every order

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

wow, that's some bullshit

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.
I just go to the eye doctor at Costco and they print me a script

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Buce posted:

wow, that's some bullshit

Yeah, I'd go to a new optometrist.

I'm sure they need to do a lot of sales in store to keep the business operating, but they shouldn't withhold your prescription. Obtaining those numbers is the entire reason people go in.

If you can find your PD from any other prescription in your adult life, it ought to be the same, right? Isn't it the distance from pupil to bridge of your nose? So unless you kept growing or had some major head injury, that'd stay constant.

cruft fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 13, 2023

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Have you thought about not needing prescriptions? HMMMM? The best way to not need them is to never go to the optometrist.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 13, 2023

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

cruft posted:

If you can find your PD from any other prescription in your adult life, it ought to be the same, right? Isn't it the distance from pupil to bridge of your nose? So unless you kept growing or had some major head injury, that'd stay constant.

No, it's the pupillary distance, aka the distance between both pupils.

Oakley's website has instructions on how to measure your PD yourself.

Oakley.com posted:

HOW TO MEASURE YOUR PUPILLARY DISTANCE

Your Pupillary Distance, or PD, is the distance in millimeters (mm) from the center of one pupil to the center of the other.

Can't find your PD? No problem. You can leave the default setting of 63 which is the average measurement for adults. If we need any more information about your prescription, one of our experts will be in touch.

If you want, you can measure your PD yourself by following these steps:
• Grab a small ruler in one hand, and have your pencil and paper handy.
• Now position yourself approximately 8 inches (20 cm) away from a mirror.
• Close your left eye and align the 0 mm over the center of your right pupil.
• Measure the distance from your right to your left pupil.
• The number that lines up directly over your left pupil is your PD (An average PD for an adult ranges between 58 and 65).

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

YeahTubaMike posted:

Personally, I had my eyes checked, asked them for my PD, then while they were explaining to me why they couldn't just give it to me, I read it off the machine

Yup, they were bullshitting you so you’d feel like you had to buy glasses from them.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

I. M. Gei posted:

No, it's the pupillary distance, aka the distance between both pupils.

Oakley's website has instructions on how to measure your PD yourself.

I have two different numbers for PD, they differ by 0.5. I've just confirmed (ON THE INTERNET) that these numbers are in fact distance from pupil to bridge of nose.

I have a hideously asymmetrical face, IOW.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I buy clip-ons that are approximately the shape of my glasses from Zenni for like $5 for two (grey lens and bronze lens). I replace them every two years.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i need new glasses

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Blenders ftw :haibrow:

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

YeahTubaMike posted:

edit:

:hmmyes:
Those are great!

chainchompz
Jul 15, 2021

bark bark
Because gently caress you give me money. :capitalism:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

great big cardboard tube
Sep 3, 2003

Just wear contacts and you can wear non prescription sunglasses when needed OP