Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Senor Tron posted:

I'm gonna guess this came about because they know the strength of the show was the alt-history aspect. Wouldn't be surprised if some producer was pushing for them to do flashbacks to the 60s in S5 to balance out how much it's becoming a futuristic SciFi show.

Yeah, I'm not exactly clamoring for a spinoff, but I think S1 was the strongest season by far and it was mainly period piece fictionalized space drama, with the alt-history being the hook but not necessarily the substance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I’m intrigued by the Soviet show and I’m willing to give it a shot, but after the season 4 soft launch of this concept I’m not so sure it’ll be good.

Happy to get more FAM at least, hopefully S5 is better

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Whoever decided a Soviet Russia focused show would be a good idea atm is a moron.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Boris Galerkin posted:

So the spinoff prequel will have a deaged Ed right? He needs to be in it, somehow.

It's entirely a creation so that he can still have a role as they move forward in time.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

The Soviet show is a good idea in theory which will likely be bad in execution.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Isometric Bacon posted:

I actually quite dig the idea of seeing the other side of season one from the antagonist perspective. It's a novel idea, if anything else.

Mind you, I would rather they greenlit and fast track two more seasons of the main show, but it could be fun.

I don't know if I want to see more of the main show if they are going to continue at the quality the last season was.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
for all mankind: blood and chrome

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Eau de MacGowan posted:

for all mankind: blood and chrome

drat.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Nichael posted:

It's just that anytime they show other countries and their people, it feels super xenophobic. It's always some hellhole dystopia where you can't trust anybody.
Having China be suspiciously absent from any storyline is annoying, too.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

The real pro level spinoff is the one about a bizarrely isolationist China that we are assured is very successful but has no part to play in a global space race

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Having North Korea as a major space player is so loving laff.

This show. We should place bets on just how stupid season 5 will get. I had no idea how much dummer season 4 was going to be after how bad season 3 was.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Also, thank you to the folks in the For All Mankind threads who recommended Patriot because it stars Gordo's actor, it's genuinely one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

jeeves posted:

This show. We should place bets on just how stupid season 5 will get.

i legit think ed is still going to be around and doing things

and given that dev is standing on the edge of the magic crater in the 2012 reveal, i 100% think kelly has found life and there's going to be some extremely subtle religious subtext, i.e., more people trying to blow up nasa with an even bigger bomb than last time

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Eau de MacGowan posted:

i legit think ed is still going to be around and doing things

and given that dev is standing on the edge of the magic crater in the 2012 reveal, i 100% think kelly has found life and there's going to be some extremely subtle religious subtext, i.e., more people trying to blow up nasa with an even bigger bomb than last time

Space fuel doesn’t melt moon base, NASA needs to tell the people what happened.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nichael posted:

Yeah, I know this is kind of a nitpick, but I feel like them having the Soviet space agency be called "Roscosmos" is a red flag for their ability to do justice to the concept.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I can't wait to see what Edvard Baldwinskovich is up to.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Soviet show alt-history will have the timeskip news reel showing liberalization with the west with Muscovites lined up outside a Burger King

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Cojawfee posted:

I don't know if I want to see more of the main show if they are going to continue at the quality the last season was.

It will be an interesting contrast - an alternate look into the best season, with a production that follows the worse ones.

Honestly I think the show is still enjoyable to watch - I just think the realities of tv production paired with the central premise ensures it can only get goofier from here.

I'm in it now just to see how robot Ed's brain in a jar is continuing to gently caress things up, decade after decade.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Tender Bender posted:

Also, thank you to the folks in the For All Mankind threads who recommended Patriot because it stars Gordo's actor, it's genuinely one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Oh my god, that's why he looked so familiar to me! Thanks for that.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Isometric Bacon posted:

It will be an interesting contrast - an alternate look into the best season, with a production that follows the worse ones.

Honestly I think the show is still enjoyable to watch - I just think the realities of tv production paired with the central premise ensures it can only get goofier from here.

I'm in it now just to see how robot Ed's brain in a jar is continuing to gently caress things up, decade after decade.

Yeah they're gonna try to skip forward to the point where holograms and AI are developed so we can have no-makeup Ed and other longstanding cast members appear and interact Hari Seldon style

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
maybe thats the season 5 mystery plot

hologram ed has gaps in its memory banks. it goes on a quest to figure out what real ed did to danny and is so nonplussed by how real ed thought locking a crazy drug addict up in a bathtub for months at a time wouldn't have any negative consequences that it completely melts down.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005
Caught up on this show over the last few weeks and I quite enjoyed it up until this last season, where most of the main cast turn into total assholes and some of the smartest people in the world become dumb as bricks. I couldn't have been the only one to be actively rooting for the asteroid heist to fail, right?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Yeah, I know this is kind of a nitpick, but I feel like them having the Soviet space agency be called "Roscosmos" is a red flag for their ability to do justice to the concept.

Lol, yeah. This ain't gonna be Chernobyl 2: To the Moon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
I feel like the asteroid heist was probably not meant to be universally everyone's choice. They put the 2nd longest lasting and most sympathetic character on the other side of it