Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Honda Civic
Saturn Ion
Subaru Forester
MINI Cooper
And right now a Hyundai, can't remember the name, whatever the hybrid one is. Good rear end gas mileage that's all I give a poo poo about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mr.Acula posted:

Is anyone reading all these posts?

Not so much reading as copy/pasting into a spreadsheet

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

intheflesh posted:

Let me introduce you to the concept of selling cars when you would like to stop owning them

Why would you want to stop owning cars though :confused:

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

mobby_6kl posted:

Why would you want to stop owning cars though :confused:

Know when to hold ‘em, know when to fold ‘em. Always fold your VW at 100k.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Here's a question, why are Audi drivers so bad at driving? It used to be BMW drivers and then, oddly enough, minivan drivers but now it's Audi drivers. Do they believe they have infinite traction? Have they had a hemisphere of their brain removed?

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

Tarkus posted:

Here's a question, why are Audi drivers so bad at driving? It used to be BMW drivers and then, oddly enough, minivan drivers but now it's Audi drivers. Do they believe they have infinite traction? Have they had a hemisphere of their brain removed?

they have to pay $500 to have a fuse checked and they're mad

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

seriously. and doing the kinds of jobs they need like head gaskets absolutely sucks because they're usually like a flat 4

subaru's whole thing is boxers, even the ones that are easy to work on suck to work on

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Tarkus posted:

People who buy things as status symbols are usually pieces of poo poo

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008

Tarkus posted:

Region dependent, but whatever 'babbys first nice/fast car' is in your city
Over the past ~15 years, BMWs got way the hell more expensive, Audi kind of moved into that space.
When I lived in LA it was Lexuses, Bellevue was Infinities

Can't explain the minivans tho. In my area, its always a Kia Sorrento

intheflesh
Nov 4, 2008

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

People who buy things as status symbols are usually pieces of poo poo

Also this. If they are cutting you off that means you are looking at them which means they win the "pay attention to me" game

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Minivans were a different deal, at least here in Alberta. I think they made a good, cheap business vehicle and you could lay an 8x4 plywood sheet in them. They would be driven by half-cut, stoned out of their mind 'entrepreneurs' doing various jobs around the city and they were dangerous as gently caress. I think all the vans that met that criteria have now burst into flames or burned more oil than fuel by now.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
My experience is that the lovely drivers have moved onto clapped out Altimas and Maximas. Nissan seems to have shoved some outdated v6 into all of these so these guys think they’re speed racer trying to get away from their 25% interest rate subprime car loans

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
I drove a 1987 Jetta for about a decade. Then a Mazda 2, Nissan juke (my absolute fave!), and now I drive a Kia soul it’s a pretty zippy little car.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

intheflesh posted:

Region dependent, but whatever 'babbys first nice/fast car' is in your city
Over the past ~15 years, BMWs got way the hell more expensive, Audi kind of moved into that space.
When I lived in LA it was Lexuses, Bellevue was Infinities

Can't explain the minivans tho. In my area, its always a Kia Sorrento

I've always been curious about that, is there anyone in the world that considers a lexus as a status symbol?

I thought it was just like a comfy toyota.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
Someone run the numbers and figure out what the most gbs car is. I would have guessed a Prius, but Subaru forester is putting in a strong showing,

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

You know, seeing this thread reminded me that I once had a car, but I can't remember anything about it other than it was silver and had a CD player. It stressed me out too much to remember anything else about it.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i've had one car and it was the best and i miss it (but i don't miss having to drive and being a sedentary slug):
early 80s mini. 39hp. with new tires it was so fun to whip around corners with zero braking. i had it through my 20s and i think the next time i'll be able to get another i'll be one of those old timers reliving poo poo through impractical car purchase. don't care

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Tarkus posted:

People who drive audis are cunts. I hope they all crash them and burn to death in the carnage.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

i've had one car and it was the best and i miss it (but i don't miss having to drive and being a sedentary slug):
early 80s mini. 39hp. with new tires it was so fun to whip around corners with zero braking. i had it through my 20s and i think the next time i'll be able to get another i'll be one of those old timers reliving poo poo through impractical car purchase. don't care

If you aren't driving a dumbass impractical car baby you ain't livin

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Tarkus posted:

2 words: dodge. ram.

slandergoose
Jun 24, 2023
2001 - VW Golf GLS: Slow as gently caress but I loved this car. It was my first car and I regret selling it
2000 - BMW 328ci: I really liked this car and I didn't have that many issues with until the last year I had it. It finally died while picking up my brother at the airport.
2019 - Hyundai Veloster Turbo Ultimate: I wanted the Veloster N but it wasn't out yet and my BMW died so I needed something. I really liked this car, it was fun, practical, and cheap
2020 - BMW m340i: I liked this car but didn't really love it. I had my m340 order cancelled because of covid and I found one in a slightly different configuration than what I wanted for 8k off sticker so I picked it up. A lot faster than you would think.
2019 - Porsche Cayman GTS: I finally achieved my dream of owning a Porsche. I loved 718's and found one in a spec I liked. I hated owning this car. It was broken all the time. I owned it for 13 months and over a quarter of that time it was at the dealer for warranty work. Not only was car constantly broken but the dealership support was truly awful, every time I brough the car in for work to be done it came back to me with something else broken. Owning this pile of hot german garbage single handedly killed my love for Porsche.
2022 - Lexus IS350: My current car, I love it, it's slow but at least it's reliable.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

should have bought an air cooled 911.

slandergoose
Jun 24, 2023

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

should have bought an air cooled 911.

I would've loved to have one but they were going for crazy money.

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

I went to the Honda dealership and successfully avoided the trade-up manager. I’m not dropping 50 grand on a new Telluride-looking Pilot.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

1998 Toyota Rav-4 (2004-2007)
2008 Toyota Rav-4 (2007-2009)
2012 Subaru Outback (2012-present)

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Thought I'd write some actual thoughts, given I get attached to my cars (hence owning so few for the 25 years I've been driving) and have quite a few memories attached.

quote:

1990 Vauxhall Astra (California) 1.4

A pretty nice first vehicle. Light blue hatchback with a solid, if unexciting engine. I put a sweet Pioneer CD player in it, with some thumpingly good Alpine speakers in the parcel shelf. Other memories include occasionally driving with my first girlfriend to a certain road near her house to have fun times in the back, when it was too early in the evening to do anything in her tiny house.

Didn't roam as far as in later cars, but one big trip was to Cornwall with some friends to see the solar eclipse in 1999. Lots of camping fun and weed smoking. And a total solar eclipse of the sun.

quote:

1995 Mazda MX-5 (Mk 1) 1.8

Got this in my early 20s. It was in racing green and I absolutely loved it. Had it a good 6 or so years and drove all over England in it, to music festivals and various other cool things. I also took Amy Winehouse for a drive in it on a blind date.

Such a great car to drive - it never felt that fast, but the handling was perfect. The pop up lights never got old. It did feel a bit vulnerable on motorways when it was windy (especially overtaking lorries). That and the lack of ABS (and traction control) meant it was probably not the safest I've been on the road.

I installed a CD changer in it, a mini-disc player and Kenwood speakers. Less power than the system in the Astra, but it sounded great. Many happy memories chilling out in it, blazing away with some great tunes as accompaniment. Eventually I gave it to my brother when I got my next car, another Mazda. My brother was driven off the road in it by someone (or so his story goes) and it was written off. An ignominious end to a wonderful car.

quote:

2007 Maxda RX-8 (Kuro) 1.3

This was a real step up. Unlike the MX-5 it had traction control, ABS, air con and a properly decent interior. Handling was amazing and performance pretty nice, with the engine demanding to be revved the hell out of to wring the most from it, which was a recipe for spirited fun. I did keep a bottle of oil in the boot, given its reputation for being thirsty. It was, though not quite as bad as people said. The Bose stereo was a bit meh, compared to what I had in the previous 2 cars, but it sufficed.

Also, it was about as practical a coupe as I've seen. I drove it during my kids' earliest years, and it handled the car seats with aplomb thanks to the suicide doors and decent rear space.

Like the MX-5, it was hyper-reliable, basically never ever going wrong for the 5 years I owned it. The only time it had any kind of fault at all was a couple of days before I was due to trade it in, but a couple of new sparkplugs and it was right as rain.

[quote]2012 Audi S6 Avant 4.0 twin turbo

Had this bastard over 10 years now. Been a perfect family car - it's big, safe, well-appointed, comfortable and fast. And it has a B&O stereo, which sounds great. Maybe a smidge too polite, but great nonetheless.

There have been reliability issues. I won't list them all, but the turbos went a couple of years in. Had a big fight with Audi to avoid the £6k replacement cost (I got it down to a few hundred quid in the end). Other stuff has happened since then, and it's been a pain at times.

But when it works, which is most of the time, it's great, and has served my family really well, on school runs, trips to country hotels, bringing home Christmas trees, transporting my daughter's harp, and all manner of other purposes. Many a long drive spent with the wife and two kids, with fair amounts of listening and singing along to rock, to musicals, to anything.

It was slightly smashed in a car park a couple of years ago; some berk reversed into me. Front was mashed, engine coolant gone. A big fix from a local company did not resolve everything properly, but its service at Audi literally today pretty much has. Reliablity has passed its used by date now, though, and after so long I'm very keen on a change. Same kind of thing but thinking Merc.

quote:

2009 Aston Martin V8 Vantage 4.7

Fulfillment of a dream, and it hasn't disappointed. It handles really well - it's heavier to steer than a Porsche and a touch less agile, but nonetheless really well-balanced and easily good enough in the corners for my driving skills. Same HP as the S6 and less torque, but obviously hugely more fun and involving to drive. It's a manual, perfect for a weekend car, and being a Roadster it scratches the convertible-shaped hole that's been in my life since I got rid of the MX-5 in 2007. Only now I press a button to bring down the roof, rather than loving around with clasps (though to be fair, it was so quick and easy to do in the MX-5 that I sometimes found myself doing it at traffic lights). Engine sounds great, as you'd expect. It's been entirely reliable (so far!). And I always have to stop and look back at it once I've parked it.

The standard stereo is bad, though - much worse than should be standard on an Aston. I had it upgraded to the Premium Aston system and it was well worth the money. As was the upgrade of the stone-age Volvo satnav screen to HD and the inclusion of Carplay/Auto. Weather's gone to poo poo so it's sitting in my garage on its trickle charger, likely until spring now. Anyway it's given me two (warm season) years of great roof-down A- and B- road country driving, music playing, wind rushing past. Sometimes my boy with me. Magic. Sometimes with my wife, one time to a hotel for the weekend, though the boot on the roadster is pretty small, smaller than the coupe and a smaller yet of course than the DB9, and getting our luggage for a weekend in was possible, but a squeeze. Love it, though.

OneSizeFitsAll fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 3, 2023

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
i will tell u that i indeed downloaded every single one of them…

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Szyznyk posted:

Know when to hold ‘em, know when to fold ‘em. Always fold your VW at 100k.

Ah, my trick has been not buying VW in the first place. Everything else I can hoard.

DrowningInDreams
Mar 13, 2009

Dilettante lizard
I don't really remember. All I've had is an old van and an old civic so far. I drove cars before that but they were my dads.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

1998 Pontiac Grand Am - My high school ride. Started without keys.

1998 Subaru Forester - So cute, so boxy. Totaled it within a year. :(

1997 Nissan Pathfinder - My dad made me buy it as I was doing a lot of driving over mountain passes.

2010 Subaru Forester - A fine car.

2019 Subaru Forester - A pattern emerges. It's a good car.

Me again.
Oct 19, 2017
Bought a 1996 Nissan Sentra in 2000, at the very end of my senior year of high school. Extremely slow acceleration, required patience and mindfulness when planning turns and highway merges. A great first car and reliable for the first 13 of the 14 years I owned it. The last year it was in the shop 4 times for increasingly expensive problems so I sold it and bought...

...a 2015 Honda Fit. Also a wonderful car which I loved, with the added bonus of being large enough in back to spread out camping mats and sleep in as needed (YMMV if you're taller than 66" or so). Sold in 2021, still in great shape - I was living on a dirt road in the middle of rural Arizona, USA at the time and was having trouble not bottoming out when driving at night.

Last car was a 2021 Subaru Crosstrek Sport. Very nice car, most powerful I ever drove, but I never felt the same attachment to it that I felt for the other two. Moved to a city in the Rust Belt, sold it last January, and have been carless for almost a year. Don't intend to ever buy another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
A Subaru Crosstrek was the MOST powerful car? Holy poo poo lol

Been loving all the people I know with newer Subarus running them out of oil and then being confused.

Yeah, check your oil dipshit, modern Subarus use a lot of it. I had a 1991 and 2003 legacy, then a 2004 outback, which now is still in the family with 350k on it. I'd never buy a modern one. My best friends brother has run his 2015 Forester dry on the dipstick three times in a year jfc

Check your oil!

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Nov 12, 2023