Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Zaroff posted:

I assume ‘The Plane, the Plane’ is a reference to Herve Villechaize’s character in Fantasy Island.

I guess it’s a tenuous link to the tattoo artist being called Herve…

And, if I’m not mistaken, Hervé Villechaize‘s character’s name in that show was Tattoo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

while listening to the tattoo artist’s rant, It just struck me that environmentalism really started to hit pop culture in the mid 90s. Especially in media targeting kids, such as books and the classic cartoon Captain Planet

nevertheless, it feels like the future is still doing ok with futuristic buildings and medicine

still, I could do without the cannibalism

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

In this video, Jake works on joining the organisation. He has the tattoo and now he just needs to look the part, find a sponsor and get his harassment voucher filled in.

I felt like I wasted a lot of time in the final 6-7 minutes as there was a lot of written dialogue in trying to solve one puzzle. There were a couple of places where I could have spent more time with as I could have gone for other options but I felt like time was slipping away more than usual in this recording so I will revisit them in the next update. I like to plan things in advance so I can find a good place to stop but time seems to slip by way too fast when I'm recording a video so it never usually ends up where I was aiming for.

sb hermit posted:

while listening to the tattoo artist’s rant, It just struck me that environmentalism really started to hit pop culture in the mid 90s. Especially in media targeting kids, such as books and the classic cartoon Captain Planet

nevertheless, it feels like the future is still doing ok with futuristic buildings and medicine

still, I could do without the cannibalism

I meant to reply to your posts. Thank you for for the information regarding Hervé.

Also, cannibalism?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Also, cannibalism?

:hmmyes:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I find it funny that the fridge-guarding goon doesn't just try to read Jake's mind whenever he sees him opening the fridge door. Maybe the guy's never had "V" (which feels unlikely because supposedly everyone uses it), or never thinks to read your mind to see what Jake's intentions are (a bit more likely, but I figured it would have been the go-to solution for a lot of problems).

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

sb hermit posted:

I find it funny that the fridge-guarding goon doesn't just try to read Jake's mind whenever he sees him opening the fridge door. Maybe the guy's never had "V" (which feels unlikely because supposedly everyone uses it), or never thinks to read your mind to see what Jake's intentions are (a bit more likely, but I figured it would have been the go-to solution for a lot of problems).

The mechanic claimed he could read Jake's mind but he clearly either couldn't or was ignorant of them. Maybe it works better for some people or some people have just learnt to tune other people's thoughts out?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is the final part of Al Phee's storyline. I probably should have ended the last video after I had returned the kidney to Ratzass as this video went on for a little longer than intended, but it is what it is. We have one more person to save and then we can all live happily ever after... unless something else pops up.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Given the content of this update, I can fairly conclude that the first section of the game (homophones and music bands via “riddle night”) is effectively an age barrier to keep out younger folk.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I think part of the reason why puns are often made synonymous with dad jokes is that there does tend to be a component of requisite knowledge required to understand them.

I don't recall the exact phrases demonstrated in the books, but I'm pretty sure I didn't get most of them when I first read Callahans stories as a kid - whereas a few decades of cultural osmosis make most of them land.

Having said that, I think it's also Spider Robinson who spends some time in one of his other books extemporizing in the best Heinlein-style about how puns should be in-the-moment and off-the-cuff in theme with the on-going conversation, rather than something you've memorized and just pull up randomly as a non-sequitor?
I wish I could remember where, though.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

We spend most of our time in this video chatting to people in the bar. I was in two minds about cutting the video early and starting the adventure with Joe fresh in the next video but the first section didn't take too long to get through. It took a lot longer initially as it took me several attempts to wrap my head around a puzzle, but I eventually got through it after... eight attempts? This is also another video where I bang on about nothing much at times, it's one of those times where I have things that I want to say but the words aren't coming out properly. So be prepared for some rambling here and there.

I'm enjoying the puns and I'm getting a fair amount of references. I'm failing a lot at some of the older American references outside of popular media.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I appreciate that we are seeing some additional closure from our various adventures.

Also, I would have assumed that Jake would have had the foresight to take a nap before using any time machines! I guess some circumstances would have been less ideal than others to get some shuteye

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm in no rush, it's been a pretty chill adventure game so far and I'm happy to take my time with it. I wasn't planning to go all out on content like I have in other LPs but I will try to get as much content in as I can during a somewhat normal playthrough.

I was thinking that it's only been a matter of hours in game, but we've not had to endure the plane trips, car rides and coach journeys that Jake has.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

This video is the final part of Al Phee's storyline. I probably should have ended the last video after I had returned the kidney to Ratzass as this video went on for a little longer than intended, but it is what it is. We have one more person to save and then we can all live happily ever after... unless something else pops up.

Jake's family :smith:

I retrospect, I'm glad I played the game before I read the first book. The game does a good job building up what happened with Jake's family before out right explaining it while the book just explains it right away.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

It looks like we're only 2 or 3 videos away from the end of the LP. This is definitely been one of the longer adventure games that I've done and I'm almost sad that we're nearing the end of it.

I have no idea what I'm going to LP after this. I have some more 90s adventures in mind, as well as a few from the early 00s. This has been a very chill LP so far, maybe it's time to dive blind into some insanity.

Joe Chill posted:

Jake's family :smith:

I retrospect, I'm glad I played the game before I read the first book. The game does a good job building up what happened with Jake's family before out right explaining it while the book just explains it right away.

I do want to read the books but it seems like they're now out of print. I may have to scour soke charity shops where I live but I'm not holding out much hope.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

It looks like we're only 2 or 3 videos away from the end of the LP. This is definitely been one of the longer adventure games that I've done and I'm almost sad that we're nearing the end of it.

I have no idea what I'm going to LP after this. I have some more 90s adventures in mind, as well as a few from the early 00s. This has been a very chill LP so far, maybe it's time to dive blind into some insanity.

I do want to read the books but it seems like they're now out of print. I may have to scour soke charity shops where I live but I'm not holding out much hope.
Spider narrates at least some of the audiobooks, if that’s a way you like reading.

Definitely been enjoying the LP so far, keep up the good work!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Spider narrates at least some of the audiobooks, if that’s a way you like reading.

Definitely been enjoying the LP so far, keep up the good work!

That might be a good bet, I'll keep an eye out for those two. I'm not looking to buy yet but I will closer to the time when I'm nearing the end of what I'm reading at the moment.

Thank you for your kind words! I'm hoping to have another update up in the next couple of days and it's going to be an interesting one.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Jake may have broken through the fence but he still has a long way to go and more obstacles to get through to reach Ralph. I thought that I could finish this segment in one go so I recorded the whole thing in one session, but it ended up being a little over 50 minutes so I decided to split the video to make it a two-parter. I'll most likely post the second part this weekend.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

I remember the end bit being conceived of by some linguist but only remember the first two parts of how "ghoti" is "fish".

When spoken aloud:
The 'gh' in words like rough, tough, and enough forms an 'f' sound. (ruf, tuf, enuf)
The 'o' in 'women' forms an 'i' sound. (wimen)

It's novel to presumably make that into a cryptogram-adjacent puzzle, but I'd be worried about decoding the 'alphabet' either being a pain or being stuck having to look up resources that would amount to a guide in practice.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I'm not sure if the panting sounds like a handsaw or someone using sandpaper with coarse grit

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I remember the end bit being conceived of by some linguist but only remember the first two parts of how "ghoti" is "fish".

When spoken aloud:
The 'gh' in words like rough, tough, and enough forms an 'f' sound. (ruf, tuf, enuf)
The 'o' in 'women' forms an 'i' sound. (wimen)

It's novel to presumably make that into a cryptogram-adjacent puzzle, but I'd be worried about decoding the 'alphabet' either being a pain or being stuck having to look up resources that would amount to a guide in practice.

You've hit the nail on the head with this puzzle. We will get some form of answers to some of them in the next update, you'll also witness a moment where I'm like a deer in the headlights trying to solve one of these during live play.

sb hermit posted:

I'm not sure if the panting sounds like a handsaw or someone using sandpaper with coarse grit

Now that you mention it it does remind me of sandpaper.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Here is the third and final part of our adventure with Joe. We have made our way inside and have found Ralph, now we just need to find our way out.

I have come to a tentative decision on what I'm going to LP after this game is over, I think I'm ready to be punished again.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I have come to a tentative decision on what I'm going to LP after this game is over, I think I'm ready to be punished again.

:ohdear:

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I'm going to ease myself into things gently. I'm planning on playing an early Frogwares game. After that, the real punishment can begin.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Here is the third and final part of our adventure with Joe. We have made our way inside and have found Ralph, now we just need to find our way out.

I hope you finally get a chance to pet both dogs in a safe place. Maybe at the same time!

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

We have helped everyone that we can help and now it's time to celebrate! The Biker Dude is so happy he even has a speech prepared.

We're nearing the end now, I'm not sure how much longer there is left to go but it's going to be at least one more video. Although, I can see this heading into a third video as there's not a lot of actions but there is a whole lot of dialogue.

sb hermit posted:

I hope you finally get a chance to pet both dogs in a safe place. Maybe at the same time!

They both can be petted and that is something that I forgot to do during this recording.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I kinda like the quirk of this last level.

Also, I like how Josie implies that you were only gone for 20 minutes but it’s clear that the last excursion didn’t use any time machines or whatever.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Nowadays, a lot of breweries in Los Angeles (and thereabouts) allow dogs on the patio if not indoors (I think it’s ok for them to allow it if they don’t serve food that is not alcohol) but I would be chuffed to find a bar in the 90s that was this dog friendly.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

sb hermit posted:

Nowadays, a lot of breweries in Los Angeles (and thereabouts) allow dogs on the patio if not indoors (I think it’s ok for them to allow it if they don’t serve food that is not alcohol) but I would be chuffed to find a bar in the 90s that was this dog friendly.

It's fairly common to find dog friendly places in the UK, even more common in more rural areas. There's a café that I infrequently visit in the High Street where I live that keeps dog treats behind the counter.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

It's fairly common to find dog friendly places in the UK, even more common in more rural areas. There's a café that I infrequently visit in the High Street where I live that keeps dog treats behind the counter.

That’s really cool.

There one place that around here that gives out free dog treats, and it’s a cafe that is drive-thru only (Human Bean). Also, Starbucks has the puppuccino (whipped cream in a cup) and in-n-out will give you a puppy patty (broiled ground beef without ingredients that are toxic to dogs like onions and garlic)

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

In this video, we find out exactly where the hell we are and what the hell they want with us.

This is definitely the penultimate video for this LP. I'm pretty certain that this has been the longest adventure game, without any additional content, that I have LP'd so far. I have tried to cram as much content in as I can and most of that has been the voiced dialogue. A lot of the text only dialogue has pushed the time up but I don't think that it has that significantly.

I think that I may have settled on 80 Days as the next LP to follow this one. The Frogwares game, not the good one by Inkle. Although, I have been tempted to start an 80 Days (Inkle) SSLP at some time in the future. The Frogwares game is a bit of a bizarre one for a variety of reasons but it seems doable. I have a folder full of potential LP material and there are several titles that keep pushing their way to the front of my brain. I'm always open to recommendations for future material as well.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Feels like it would have been a better game design decision to allow the player to stay in the office as long as desired. I know that there is an implied sense of urgency but if that were the case, there would have been no need for the puzzle!

Unless the puzzle was meant to keep the characters occupied until the hearing starts.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Can’t help but overthink the symbolism behind the USA flags in the otherworldly courtroom.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

sb hermit posted:

Can’t help but overthink the symbolism behind the USA flags in the otherworldly courtroom.

I think there are a couple of answers to this. The first is that Parabolus was using familiar settings to make the gang more comfortable within the environment, the bar is in Long Island after all so it makes sense that the courtroom would have an American setting. Convenience is probably another reason as well.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This is the finale of Callahan's Crosstime Saloon. It's been a lot of fun playing through this and I'm glad I got to share it with you all. It's been refreshing to play a game where you can chill out and just spending your time working out how to help your friends, something which you don't see too often in adventure games. This was a rather impromptu recording, my free time has taken a dramatic decrease these past few weeks so I've been trying to record as and when I can, which has made me slightly lax in terms of the quality of recordings as time has been tight. It kinda serves me right as I usually am spinning plates with multiple LPs on the go but having a mix of things on the go keeps things interesting.

Thank you, everyone, for being a part of this LP. This game was something that I didn't know that I needed and it's been an absolute joy to play. I'm feeling ready to tackle something a bit more challenging so I will be returning soon with 80 Days, which may happen on Friday but I'm not going to rush anything. My free time should start returning to somewhat normality next week so there's a good chance I won't start anything up until the beginning of the new week.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Thank you very much for the LP!

I half expected Gingranich to show up in the ending scene but I guess the story is stronger with his absence.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Thanks for the LP! This was a lot of fun.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Thank you for doing this LP.

The game is an underappreciated gem, and I hope it has/will turn someone onto the Callahan novels.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Several of the books are on the Kindle store. Callahan's Place 1, 6, 7 and 9 oddly enough. I'm not sure why the rest aren't on there but it may be a good place to start for me.

Books 1-3 as well as 7, 8 and 9 are available on Audible too but at a hefty price. I might have to take advantage if their free trial at some point.

Various other bookstores contain a few books/audio books in the series but not all of them.

Nobody seems to like the 4th and 5th books though.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"
Thanks for the LP!

If you want a physical book, try your local library if you haven't already, that's how I found the first book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Joe Chill posted:

Thanks for the LP!

If you want a physical book, try your local library if you haven't already, that's how I found the first book.

That may be worth a try. I did think about it but I wasn't holding out much hope where I live. I'll probably make a start with the ebooks first and fill in the gaps where I can.