Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

What is this?

Callahan's Crosstime Saloon is a graphic adventure game that was released in 1997 by Legend Entertainment. This game is based on the book series "Callahan's Place" by Spider Robinson and we play as the character Jake Stonebender, the book's narrator. Callahan's Crosstime Saloon was designed by Josh Mandel, who also was the co-designer of Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist, Space Quest 6, and was also involved in various capacities in many other games as a designer, writer, producer and\or voice actor.

LP Details

This will be a VLP and I will be recording commentary live and unscripted. I don't have a schedule, it all depends on when I have free time around work and child care but I will aim to have at least one video up a week.

Let's Play: Callahan's Crosstime Saloon

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Mar 28, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.
I'll be curious to see how much of this game I legit remember and how much is just deranged fever dream.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I've read a book or two in the series, can't say I was a fan but they didn't exactly strike me as videogame adaptation material. Curious to see where this goes.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Whoa, another Legend Entertainment game! I mostly know this company from the Companions of Xanth game, although they also released a lot of earlier games that could be played in either text-only or with graphics.

Reading the wikipedia page, it looks like they were Infocom refugees after Activision acquired then closed it down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_Entertainment

That explains some of the writing, I guess. I kind of want to play the earlier Infocom games if I ever get the chance.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

sb hermit posted:

Whoa, another Legend Entertainment game! I mostly know this company from the Companions of Xanth game, although they also released a lot of earlier games that could be played in either text-only or with graphics.

Reading the wikipedia page, it looks like they were Infocom refugees after Activision acquired then closed it down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_Entertainment

That explains some of the writing, I guess. I kind of want to play the earlier Infocom games if I ever get the chance.

I grew up with the Infocom games and I have a lot of fond memories of them. I keep meaning to go back to them at some point. I'm not sure if there is a legit way to play them these days, you may have to resort to emulation or :filez: The Zork anthology is on Steam and GOG but I believe that's about it right now. (Edit: The anthology also includes Planetfall, a game that I remember VERY fondly. It's a shame that the sequel isn't included as well.)

As for the Companions of Xanth game, I remember playing it when I was younger. I have considered doing an LP of it but I'm not sure if I'm really up for poking the Piers Anthony bee nest of creepiness. I've just finished Armikrog and I felt a bit dirty in doing so with TenNapel's controversial views on some matters.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Spider Robinson had an interesting career, and the first book of his I read was Telempath. Heck, he was even tapped to adapt one of Robert Heinlein's story treatments into a full story - Variable Star (published 2006). Sadly, due to deaths in the family and his own health issues, his career as a writer has come to a halt, and his last work was in 2008.

I'm here for this.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
drat, I used to read my brother's Callahan's collection all the time.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

I may have to check the books out in the future. I'm still working my way through H.P. Lovecraft at the moment.

I wonder if whether Spider Robinson has ever played this game as I've read that he is strictly a Mac person. I know he was shown a beta of the game when it was close to release and liked what he saw.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

This has started out nice and weird, makes me wish I had a local bar like that. It's giving me some Hitchhikers' Guide vibes, and the voice acting is very nice so far.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is set entirely inside of Callahan's as we still have a couple of new people to speak to as well as having the riddle to solve. I do take a quick gander around the rooftop as well even though we don't have anything to do up there. The next video will start in an entirely new location as we have agreed to go on an adventure with one of bar friends.

Crazy Achmed posted:

This has started out nice and weird, makes me wish I had a local bar like that. It's giving me some Hitchhikers' Guide vibes, and the voice acting is very nice so far.

I enjoy nice and weird. I also enjoy a good pun and this game seems to be throwing puns by the bucket load.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!
It took a bit of help at the end, but I think the riddle is Doctor Hook and the Medicine Show

I’m really enjoying this - it says a lot that we’re about an hour into the game, and aside from some riddles (which unfortunately date it poorly), it’s really just been a lot of dialogue and yet it’s engaging!

I’m just not sure what the object of the game is though…

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I would love to have four primary arms so that I could pet four dogs at the same time.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Zaroff posted:

It took a bit of help at the end, but I think the riddle is Doctor Hook and the Medicine Show

I’m really enjoying this - it says a lot that we’re about an hour into the game, and aside from some riddles (which unfortunately date it poorly), it’s really just been a lot of dialogue and yet it’s engaging!

I’m just not sure what the object of the game is though…

I don't think that I'd have figured that one out. I believe that Doc gives us more if we ask, which I will do when we return to the bar.

From what I've read about this it was designed to have a strongly positive theme and a contrast to many of the mid-90s dark and violent games around at the time. I don't want to spoil anything right now, but we are going to go on several different adventures throughout this playthrough to help people and try to make the world a little better.

quote:

"It seems like every game I play these days is about monsters, murder, destruction, and evil. I wanted something uplifting, something that would take place in a world I wanted to live in, rather than one I wanted to escape from."

—Designer Josh Mandel in 1997

sb hermit posted:

I would love to have four primary arms so that I could pet four dogs at the same time.

What about the inflatable one?!

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

I’m so here for this; Callahan’s is one of my all-time favorite book series, and I have fond memories of playing this game way back in the day.

berryjon posted:

Spider Robinson had an interesting career, and the first book of his I read was Telempath. Heck, he was even tapped to adapt one of Robert Heinlein's story treatments into a full story - Variable Star (published 2006). Sadly, due to deaths in the family and his own health issues, his career as a writer has come to a halt, and his last work was in 2008.

I'm here for this.
He’s still plugging away at another book, as well as his autobiography, and does irregular blog posts on his website.

Crazy Achmed posted:

Yea, there’s something quite Douglas Adamsesque over this game, especially when compared to Starship Titanic.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I’m so here for this; Callahan’s is one of my all-time favorite book series, and I have fond memories of playing this game way back in the day.

He’s still plugging away at another book, as well as his autobiography, and does irregular blog posts on his website.

Yea, there’s something quite Douglas Adamsesque over this game, especially when compared to Starship Titanic.

Starship Titanic is on my list at some point. But that's only when I'm good and ready for it. I'm trying to space out the more unforgiving adventure games and I've gone through a few of them these past couple of years.

Spider Robinson recorded music for the game and they can be heard when you ask Fast Eddie to play one of his "specialities". I might try to find a way to record and upload these at some point. I'll see if I can find the music files on the disc, if they aren't then I'll have to record the songs in game.

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
I remember playing this game as abandonware when I was in college, and the tone of the world was so cozy and uplifting it's what got me to start reading the books. I can't remember if that rubbed off on my Dad as well or if he was already reading them, though.

Gotta love the Drunkard's Song though. That's the tune that plays during that intro cutscene, and you can find that one on Youtube thankfully!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FLelE5G8mvo

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Starship Titanic is on my list at some point. But that's only when I'm good and ready for it. I'm trying to space out the more unforgiving adventure games and I've gone through a few of them these past couple of years.

Spider Robinson recorded music for the game and they can be heard when you ask Fast Eddie to play one of his "specialities". I might try to find a way to record and upload these at some point. I'll see if I can find the music files on the disc, if they aren't then I'll have to record the songs in game.
Starship Titanic is absolutely wonderful and absolutely bonkers in how much it expects you to just figure out by trial and error.

Drunkards Song, which the game opens with, wasn't written for the game - rather, it's featured in The Law Of Conservation Of Pain, which is one of the short-stories in the first book in the series. The guitar solo is by none other than Amos Garrett, who's got a long and illustrious career.
EDIT: You'll be able to find it on Spiders website, I'm pretty sure that's where I got my copy from.

Spider has made music for several of his books, and there's quite a bit of the author in the books'/games protagonist.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Nov 15, 2023

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Starship Titanic is absolutely wonderful and absolutely bonkers in how much it expects you to just figure out by trial and error.

Drunkards Song, which the game opens with, wasn't written for the game - rather, it's featured in The Law Of Conservation Of Pain, which is one of the short-stories in the first book in the series. The guitar solo is by none other than Amos Garrett, who's got a long and illustrious career.
EDIT: You'll be able to find it on Spiders website, I'm pretty sure that's where I got my copy from.

Spider has made music for several of his books, and there's quite a bit of the author in the books'/games protagonist.

Thank you for the link, these are the same songs that Fast Eddie plays when you ask for one of his specialties.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Though I played it myself back in the day, I've always felt it is one of those games that would be best experienced through watching an LP, so the audience can enjoy all the great humor and cool sci-fi art deco atmosphere without having to personally deal with some of the more dubious puzzle design. Though it's telling that they felt the game needed to be shipped with a strategy guide and we still had trouble with the precise wording on a certain "ask a robot to do something for you" puzzle.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Thank you for the link, these are the same songs that Fast Eddie plays when you ask for one of his specialties.
:tipshat:

Item Getter posted:

Though I played it myself back in the day, I've always felt it is one of those games that would be best experienced through watching an LP, so the audience can enjoy all the great humor and cool sci-fi art deco atmosphere without having to personally deal with some of the more dubious puzzle design. Though it's telling that they felt the game needed to be shipped with a strategy guide and we still had trouble with the precise wording on a certain "ask a robot to do something for you" puzzle.
Yeah, that says quite a lot.

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Weird, I was just chatting with someone about this very game! I devoured the books in high school, being a big nerdy scifi/fantasy novel fan. Looking forward to this!

Truthkeeper
Nov 29, 2010

Friends don't let friends borrow on credit.
I just recently finished a reread of the series (the parts I have, at least, still looking out for the last two Callahan books and the two Lady Sallys), but I've never had the chance to play this. Consider me intrigued.

As a note, Jake's 20 bucks bought him a fair few drinks, every drink at Callahan's costs 50 cents, with a 50 cent deposit on the glass. As Jake alluded to, it's generally expected that you smash your glass in the fireplace instead of collecting the deposit. Callahan gets a very good bulk rate on glassware.

Also of note, if you assume Callahan stories take place in their year of publication (I usually go with the publication dates of the novels, some demand that they're set in the time they were originally published in Anthem, and others say there is no set time), that places this game sometime post 1981 (the publication of Time Travelers Strictly Cash, which introduced Josie Bauer, time cop), but before 1986 (Callahan's Secret, the first story therein being about Callahan replacing the ladder to the roof with a spiral staircase after one of the regulars fell off and broke his ankle). I'm sure the writers weren't trying to set this at a specific point, but I'll be looking out for details like those anyway.

Truthkeeper fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Nov 16, 2023

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Got most of these riddles myself, but 2, 6 and the bonus one stumped me.

For 2 I was stuck on quick/fast for the first clue and apple for the third, with no idea on the second. For 6 I got row and even considered lynx, but I don't like tones for the third clue and would never have got it.

Zaroff posted:

I got "and the medicine show" without knowing that was even the name of a band, but couldn't get the first half. I should have got dock but I don't like "tore" for "ripped"; it works, but I don't like it. Same with "hook". Even after hearing the answer I had to go back and work through it and grudgingly admit it isn't technically unfair or unreasonable.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video is the first part of our adventure with Josie and it covers our attempt at trying to deal with Faxon-Casteroga about the business with the endangered cocoa plant. This wasn't originally intended to be this long but I decided to just start poking around on a whim and I discovered extra dialogue with certain prompts with people and the scenery. There is still a fair bit of reading, but I did try to cut down on the waiting time a little throughout.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

This video contains our entire plane journey to the rainforests of Brazil. It's not quite the luxury ride we may have been expecting but it can definitely fly.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I don’t know what authentic brazilian-accented english sounds like but I would be hard pressed to believe that this is an accurate representation.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

sb hermit posted:

I don’t know what authentic brazilian-accented english sounds like but I would be hard pressed to believe that this is an accurate representation.

I've worked with Brazilian and Portuguese people, Guzman's accent was different to what I have heard personally. But everyone is different and Brazil is a very large country.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern
Just discovered this thread thanks to Pragmatica's announcement post. Yay!

Callahan's Crosstime Saloon is a game I replay every few years or so, and it was through it that I discovered Spider Robinson's books. Hope discussion of the stories isn't considered derailing the thread.

I had The Callahan Chronicals (the collection of the first three books) forever, and just a few months ago I completed my collection up to Callahan's Con and the two Lady Sally books and went on a complete rereading binge.
And boy howdy, as a non-native speaker with a reasonable understanding of English, deciphering some of the puns can be hard work. Especially when they're references to cultural phenomena of the 1960s that 1970s American readers of the books would of course know - but when you've been born in Germany in the mid-1970s, even cultural osmosis has its limits. The "yule gibbons" joke in one of the stories nearly broke my brain until I googled it. Also, we don't have the "traveling salesman and the farmer's daughter" as joke tropes, so I didn't get the punchline of the Al Phee story until this year's reread.

Still, the books are an utter joy to read, and I'd heartily recommend them to anyone who even mildly enjoys the game. The overarching theme of making the world a better place through empathy is something the world desperately needs more of. Not since Terry Pratchett have I read an author whose worldview is so... well, human at its core.

That's not to say some of the material isn't a bit dated. The writer is/was of his time, and some of the views expressed (especially with regards to sexual topics, and especially where the topic overlaps into the area of minors) made me cringe and probably wouldn't fly today. Especially the way rape is sometimes talked about as almost a casual thing really stuck out.

It's also obvious that Robinson has his favorite topics / obsessions, and sometimes when the characters talk at length about their love of certain musicians or science fiction authors, you feel like you're reading Ready Player One, just for a different subsection of geekdom. (Even so, I'm now convinced that I need to start reading at least some Asimov and some Heinlein, if only to get more of the references.)

And some of the writing, especially in the later books, is frankly getting absurd. The way the heroes deduce the impending space catastrophe in Callahan's Key is nothing short of ridiculous. The mood also gets a bit mean-spirited around the time of Key, with an unexpected amount of body-shaming for a certain antagonist, but luckily that's addressed, admitted to and resolved in Callahan's Con.
One could also accuse Robinson of lazyness: What's an author to do if he created a memorable villain and effectively killed him off (well, shipped him of to prison, presumably to be raped and killed there) in one of the books? Just invent a son of the villain, who is almost identical to his father. And then of course there's the fact that all the later books from Callahan's Secret onwards hinge on nearly the same method of resolution (telepathic mind meld).

In case it sounds like I'm putting down the material, here's the thing: I love those books. Even with all the criticism, the good in them so far outweighs the bad that they're still a hugely enjoyable read and give me the warm fuzzies like almost nothing else. I just mention these points for newcomers: Be aware that you may find some material objectionable, and once you've made your peace with that, you're in for a rare treat.

Anyway, apologies for the ramble. It's just that I'm so happy to finally find a place where I can talk about this.

On with the game, and thank you, Rocket Baby Dolls, for creating this thread!

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 24, 2023

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dave Syndrome posted:

Callahan's Crosstime Saloon is a game I replay every few years or so, and it was through it that I discovered Spider Robinson's books. Hope discussion of the stories isn't considered derailing the thread.

I had The Callahan Chronicals (the collection of the first three books) forever, and just a few months ago I completed my collection up to Callahan's Con and the two Lady Sally books and went on a complete rereading binge.
And boy howdy, as a non-native speaker with a reasonable understanding of English, deciphering some of the puns can be hard work. Especially when they're references to cultural phenomena of the 1960s that 1970s American readers of the books would of course know - but when you've been born in Germany in the mid-1970s, even cultural osmosis has its limits. The "yule gibbons" joke in one of the stories nearly broke my brain until I googled it. Also, we don't have the "traveling salesman and the farmer's daughter" as joke tropes, so I didn't get the punchline of the Al Phee story until this year's reread.

Still, the books are an utter joy to read, and I'd heartily recommend them to anyone who even mildly enjoys the game. The overarching theme of making the world a better place through empathy is something the world desperately needs more of. Not since Terry Pratchett have I read an author whose worldview is so... well, human at its core.

That's not to say some of the material isn't a bit dated. The writer is/was of his time, and some of the views expressed (especially with regards to sexual topics, and especially where the topic overlaps into the area of minors) made me cringe and probably wouldn't fly today. Especially the way rape is sometimes talked about as almost a casual thing really stuck out.

It's also obvious that Robinson has his favorite topics / obsessions, and sometimes when the characters talk at length about their love of certain musicians or science fiction authors, you feel like you're reading Ready Player One, just for a different subsection of geekdom. (Even so, I'm now convinced that I need to start reading at least some Asimov and some Heinlein, if only to get more of the references.)

And some of the writing, especially in the later books, is frankly getting absurd. The way the heroes deduce the impending space catastrophe in Callahan's Key is nothing short of ridiculous. The mood also gets a bit mean-spirited around the time of Key, with an unexpected amount of body-shaming for a certain antagonist, but luckily that's addressed, admitted to and resolved in Callahan's Con.
One could also accuse Robinson of lazyness: What's an author to do if he created a memorable villain and effectively killed him off (well, shipped him of to prison, presumably to be raped and killed there) in one of the books? Just invent a son of the villain, who is almost identical to his father. And then of course there's the fact that all the later books from Callahan's Secret onwards hinge on nearly the same method of resolution (telepathic mind meld).

In case it sounds like I'm putting down the material, here's the thing: I love those books. Even with all the criticism, the good in them so far outweighs the bad that they're still a hugely enjoyable read and give me the warm fuzzies like almost nothing else. I just mention these points for newcomers: Be aware that you may find some material objectionable, and once you've made your peace with that, you're in for a rare treat.

Anyway, apologies for the ramble. It's just that I'm so happy to finally find a place where I can talk about this.

I basically agree with everything in this post, and only want to add that Spider Robinson is, as I see it, the epitome of humanist science fiction.
His stories are science fiction of the best kind, but through and through they've got this deep core of empathy to them that's been hard to find (though thankfully, not impossible - that's reserved for finding another author who's as much of a paronomasiac as Spider and I are).

As for reading Heinlein, I think you can do much worse than reading his juveniles - but he had his Old Perverted Man phase as an author towards the end of his active writing career, so reader discression is advised.
I'm not sure I can recommend Asimov - as much as he's had an effect on society with his writing, the things that've come to light about him and which were apparently open secrets at various conventions make it hard to swallow a genre as forward-looking as science fiction, from someone so regressive.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

I basically agree with everything in this post, and only want to add that Spider Robinson is, as I see it, the epitome of humanist science fiction.
His stories are science fiction of the best kind, but through and through they've got this deep core of empathy to them that's been hard to find (though thankfully, not impossible - that's reserved for finding another author who's as much of a paronomasiac as Spider and I are).

As for reading Heinlein, I think you can do much worse than reading his juveniles - but he had his Old Perverted Man phase as an author towards the end of his active writing career, so reader discression is advised.
I'm not sure I can recommend Asimov - as much as he's had an effect on society with his writing, the things that've come to light about him and which were apparently open secrets at various conventions make it hard to swallow a genre as forward-looking as science fiction, from someone so regressive.

Do you have any specific book or story recommendations (from any of the two) for someone who enjoyed the Callahan books?

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dave Syndrome posted:

Do you have any specific book or story recommendations (from any of the two) for someone who enjoyed the Callahan books?
Becky Chambers' Wayfarers series is the one series I remember reading recently, which gave me the same kind of humanist science fiction vibes.

Although since both involve aliens in some capacity, I guess calling it humanist is pretty close-minded? :v:

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Becky Chambers' Wayfarers series is the one series I remember reading recently, which gave me the same kind of humanist science fiction vibes.

Although since both involve aliens in some capacity, I guess calling it humanist is pretty close-minded? :v:

Thanks for the tip. My wife was given two Becky Chambers books for her birthday earlier this year, but she hasn't read them yet. Guess I'll give them a go.

I meant Asimov and Heinlein specifically though - their output is somewhat massive.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Dave Syndrome posted:

Thanks for the tip. My wife was given two Becky Chambers books for her birthday earlier this year, but she hasn't read them yet. Guess I'll give them a go.

I meant Asimov and Heinlein specifically though - their output is somewhat massive.
Heinlein didn't really do humanist science fiction - but like I mentioned, his juveniles are a good read.
They're also kids books, but I read them when I was a kid, so perhaps that's why I have a soft spot for them.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Dave Syndrome posted:

By all means, if you can't talk about Callahan's then where can you talk about it? I'm always happy to read more about this universe as this is all new to me and I am enjoying the game. I will definitely start reading the books once I've finished with Lovecraft. I appreciate the warnings, although it's hard-pressed to find many authors writing about human issues for over 30 years plus who doesn't raise the occasional eyebrow.

I absolutely love Terry Pratchett, he is one of my all-time favourite authors.

I was a big fan of Heinlein's books when I was younger and some of his books I hold in high regard even today. As I got older and started to read his later books, the whole old man and very young woman relationship trope kept cropping up more and more and I ended up stepping away from his work. The books that I read were in my dad's book collection. I do own a copy of Stranger In A Strange Land but I've been wanting to re-read some of his stories for a while now, Starman Jones has been in my thoughts lately.

It's worth noting that Legend Entertainment originally wanted Josh Mandel to develop an adventure game adaption of The Belgariad, but David Eddings rejected the idea outright. The company then asked Mandel for two authors whose works he'd like to adapt and Robinson was obviously one of his answers, the other was Dean Kootz.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Here's a mildly interesting fact: At least a few of the audiobooks of the Callahan series are narrated by Spider Robinson himself.

He's got a very good voice for audiobooks, and if you're into him doing stuff he enjoys, there's also an archive of his old podcast.
I'd recommend using something like DownThemAll to grab all of the files, as various podcast feeds around the web are missing the first 16 episodes.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Another big fan of the Callahan series that found this thread through the announcement. I got insanely lucky that my mom checked out two books for me to read while at a weekend at my grandparents. The one with a big space battle on front sucked, but the one with a bunch of drunks at the bar was necessary and entirely inappropriate for someone in middle school.

I think a ton of Spider Robinson's humanism is influenced by Theodore Sturgeon, who is one of those "your favorite band's favorite band" types that never reached the popularity of Heinlein or Asimov. Almost everything he wrote had some inspired level of compassion or togetherness - The World Well Lost being an amazing example of dealing with gay rights in the 1950s. He wrote a massive amount of short stories, and some like "Bianca's Hands", "And Now The News", and "Yesterday was Monday" will stick with you for one reason or another.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Coco13 posted:

I think a ton of Spider Robinson's humanism is influenced by Theodore Sturgeon, who is one of those "your favorite band's favorite band" types that never reached the popularity of Heinlein or Asimov. Almost everything he wrote had some inspired level of compassion or togetherness - The World Well Lost being an amazing example of dealing with gay rights in the 1950s. He wrote a massive amount of short stories, and some like "Bianca's Hands", "And Now The News", and "Yesterday was Monday" will stick with you for one reason or another.
Yeah, Sturgeon was pretty fantastic too - and he's got a law named for him, so he's at least a little bit famous?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Yeah, Sturgeon was pretty fantastic too - and he's got a law named for him, so he's at least a little bit famous?
Most people who are aware of the law would be hard-pressed to name a single story of his, though.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

anilEhilated posted:

Most people who are aware of the law would be hard-pressed to name a single story of his, though.

Probably 90% of people if the law holds true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Jake and Josie explore the Brazilian rainforest in search of the illusive cacao trees and discover that they're still facing some resistance. The last ten minutes of this video are spent entirely on one puzzle. I called it a Picross in the video it seems like the more common name for it is a Nonogram, but it's also known by a lot of other names. I decided to go through the tutorial section (on a whim) for the people who don't know how these puzzles work which may have been a mistake as I didn't expect it to be so extensive. I clicked through each page every 10 seconds and it still took over three minutes to go through them all. I have put timestamps in the video description but I'll also put them here:

21:42 Puzzle Help
25:06 Start Of Puzzle
30:25 End Of Puzzle

I experiment with each area to see if I can trigger any dialogue and I write down anything of interest. I'm not sure if there are different hotspots with the same name as there were a few places that didn't trigger anything during the recording.

Rocket Baby Dolls fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 27, 2023