Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s not gatekeeping

This thread is about the movies we want to watch on Christmas bc it’s not about Christmas stuff entirely like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Where Christmas is there and absolutely makes it count but it’s plot doesn’t revolve around the holiday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

CelticPredator posted:

It’s not gatekeeping

This thread is about the movies we want to watch on Christmas bc it’s not about Christmas stuff entirely like Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Where Christmas is there and absolutely makes it count but it’s plot doesn’t revolve around the holiday.
No I think it's just about the holiday movies being better than expected

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

bewilderment posted:

I second the recommendation of The Lion In Winter. My only gripe with it is that you clearly see presents being wrapped for Christmas but you don't get to see the gift giving!
Anyway it's a must watch for Succession fans.

They were all to busy working themselves up to a knife fight.

The dialog in that film is so fun.

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010
I watched 'The Holdovers', 'Tokyo Godfathers', and 'Carol', which were all very good, definitely Christmas movies. I'm sorry my suggestion was kind of mainstream?

Anyway, merry Christmas everyone :)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

It’s not gatekeeping

I think you should read the OP again a bit more closely.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Just noticed that one of the detectives in Christmas Evil is also the guy from the beginning of Die Hard who tells John to make fists with his toes. And apparently he was also in Ernest Saves Christmas. This guy(Robert Lesser) is a Christmas movie legend!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The title threw me off I guees

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

I'll add In Bruges to the list here. Definitely Christmas-adjacent, but whether or not it's a good movie is down to individual preference.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Fifth Element is Die Hard-adjacent, and Galaxy Quest is suitable for all holidays.

Thanks for this thread, I've got some good suggestions out of it for Boxing Day.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

deoju posted:

The Long Kiss Goodnight also kicks rear end.

there's nothing more Christmasy than Geena Davis killing a deer in the snow with her hands

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

bewilderment posted:

I second the recommendation of The Lion In Winter. My only gripe with it is that you clearly see presents being wrapped for Christmas but you don't get to see the gift giving!
Anyway it's a must watch for Succession fans.

The Lion in Winter has one of my favorite lines ever uttered in cinema:

https://clip.cafe/the-lion-in-winter-1968/youre-a-stinker-you-stink/t/1/

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Fanny & Alexander
The Dead
The Apartment
Blast of Silence
Remember the Night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I always forget Fanny & Alexander even though I own the blu ray.