Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Well, it's that time of year (December) again, and that means it's time to get festive. We gotta watch movies about winter holidays: their celebrations, their traditions, their lore, their general vibe. It's mandatory.

Pulling out "Miracle on 34th Street" or "The Muppet Christmas Carol" or "Die Hard" year after year is cozy and all, but it's important to keep things fresh. I'm looking for new thrills. Trouble is, I can't simply pick something random from the Holiday section on whatever streaming service. That's just suicide. Clearly, it's a much better idea to ask goons.

What movies about or around Christmas (or other winter holidays) were better than you expected or less acclaimed than they deserve? And if it's not obvious, what makes it a bona fide holiday movie? I want your hottest takes to keep me warm on these cold dark nights, and also your own classic standards. No suggestion is too mainstream or too obscure.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Dec 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Gremlins is a S tier Christmas movie. Batman Returns is another classic Christmas movie

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!
Obviously anything Shane Black incl "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" and "Iron Man 3" but I'm going to go out on a limb and say the Coen's adaptation of TRUE GRIT. Yes, it doesn't literally say during any point of the movie that it takes place around Christmas but it's a snowy western and I'd like to think it does. Also, it came out during the Christmas season and it's always one I like to put on around this time of year.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I always watch Brazil at some random time in the middle of the year and then get annoyed that I forgot it's actually a Christmas movie and I should've saved it for December. This year I remembered so I pulled it from my shelf and put it in the on-deck pile for Christmastime viewing.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

I think the critical consensus has improved on it a lot since it was released but Eyes Wide Shut is a great Christmas-adjacent movie. The plot won't necessarily make you feel festive but the ambient lighting from the ever-present Christmas decorations throughout the movie provide a ton of atmosphere and also just make the movie beautiful to look at.

I'll also definitely second Batman Returns as a great holiday season watch.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
Only the first ten minutes are so take place around Christmas but Russell Crowe ripping down that guy's Christmas decorations to get him outside so he can beat him up in L.A. Confidential is good. And I guess the flip side of that is Gibson throwing Busey through the Christmas decorations at the end of Lethal Weapon.

And it's not Christmas but Grand Budapest Hotel is a perfect winter movie.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
The Holdovers, which just came out this year, is easily one of the greatest Christmas movies of all time

if you like the trailer, you'll like the movie, because the movie is essentially the trailer stretched out to a luxurious 2 hours and 20 minutes. the surprisingly long runtime allows the movie to really stretch out and it feels so good https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhKLpJmHhIg

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

I saw Carol for the first time last night, absolutely incredible winter holidays movie and I'll be thinking about it every year when it gets cold out. Definitely recommend it to anyone, especially if they love a lesbian romantic drama.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Lady and the Tramp starts at Christmas and ends at Christmas.

Babe also has a sizable focus on Christmas since they keep hinting that he might be dinner that year. I guess you could call it a winter movie, but it takes place in Australia and it doesn't really snow there

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
e: nm

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
The original Planet of the Apes begins Nov 25, 3978 which is the Saturday after Thanksgiving. It's entirely possible they discover the Statue of Liberty on Christmas Day, or maybe New Year's Day. Can't prove they didn't.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

My wife introduced me to the Thin Man several years back and that's a regular bit of Christmas viewing, as it takes place during December and there's a section of the movie happening on Christmas Eve/Christmas.

On Disney+ there's a modern animated Mickey Mouse special called Duck the Halls that has become a staple with me and my friends. It's about Donald refusing to go south for the winter, as he wants to experience a true Christmas with his friends. Unfortunately, doing so is slowly killing him and he celebrates the holidays while gradually becoming an insane Cronenberg creature with his eyes bloodshot, his feathers falling off, and even his beak detaching. Fun stuff.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I always say The Lion in Winter is my favorite Christmas movie of all time 'cause it's just 2 and a half hours of petty bickering but also there's a Christmas tree in the background.

ahahah, I just loaded up a re-release trailer and they really lay into the sass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKoYHKpCSc4

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

I remember liking Santa Claus: The Movie (1985) and Prancer (1989) many years ago.

Meet Me in St. Louis (1944) is probably one of the best films to do both Halloween and Christmas. And if you like horror movies then Black Christmas (1974) is an essential one.

A Christmas Carol (1999) has many fans.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Francis Ford Coppola's "The Conversation" is set around Christmas and the lack of "Christmasness" to it just leaves December grey and bleak in a way that really adds to the film.

I saw Eileen the other day and that has some similar stuff too - it's set around Christmas but it's just so cold and bleak.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Tokyo Godfathers (2003) is my favorite Christmas movie ever. It's just so magical and wonderfully-paced. If you're a fan of animation at all you owe it to yourself to give it a go.

I, Tonya (2017) is all about figure skating and infamous skater Tonya Harding, and it's funny and energetic to boot. Great wintery vibes if you want something offbeat.

2046 (2004) doesn't quite measure up to the heights of Wong Kar-Wai's In The Mood For Love for me but it's still an aching and beautifully-shot romantic drama with a cool sci-fi twist to it, and it takes place on several Christmas Eves.

Ace Attorney (2012) is Takashi Miike's excellent movie based on the first Phoenix Wright game, and the big climax of the movie takes place around Christmas. It has such great holiday atmosphere in general to me, something about the whimsical elements get me in the zone.

If you want my hotter takes, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World and Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse have enough fantastical elements and winter atmosphere in them to make it to my playlist every year.

I also watch the original Wallace & Gromit shorts around this time of year as well; they always seemed to be on around this time. The Iron Giant as well.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Tokyo Godfathers (2003) is my favorite Christmas movie ever. It's just so magical and wonderfully-paced. If you're a fan of animation at all you owe it to yourself to give it a go.

Ace Attorney (2012) is Takashi Miike's excellent movie based on the first Phoenix Wright game, and the big climax of the movie takes place around Christmas. It has such great holiday atmosphere in general to me, something about the whimsical elements get me in the zone.

Tokyo Godfathers is a great flick!

I've had Ace Attorney on my list for awhile and knowing it's got some Christmas stuff in it bumps it up to watching it this month.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
E: nvm I'm going to make a motm thread instead of hijacking this one.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 8, 2023

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Night of the Hunter has always felt like a Christmas movie to me.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
We watch Stepbrothers every year around this time. Part of it takes place at Christmas!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It’s not surprising but Carol is the perfect Christmas movie. It has this icy, detached aesthetic, with many shots filmed through windows, reflections and frosted glass. It takes place during Christmas. And I hadn’t made the connection before this, but the name Carol evokes Christmas. Thematically it’s also very much about the Christmas themes like familial alienation and the struggle for intimacy.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I second the recommendation of The Lion In Winter. My only gripe with it is that you clearly see presents being wrapped for Christmas but you don't get to see the gift giving!
Anyway it's a must watch for Succession fans.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
DUTCH (1991)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Aces High posted:

Babe also has a sizable focus on Christmas since they keep hinting that he might be dinner that year. I guess you could call it a winter movie, but it takes place in Australia and it doesn't really snow there

Huh, I always assumed that it was supposed to be set in the UK.

As for the OP, as a Bond fan I feel like this suggestion is tending more towards the Die Hard end of the meme-suggestions, but perhaps On Her Majesty's Secret Service - 1969.
The soundtrack even has an original Christmas Carol composed for it, which is used diagetically in the score.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Metropolitan - upper class young adults pass the Christmas break together at a series of after parties. A newcomer among them turns out to be renting his tuxedo!

Watch it if only to appreciate how obvious their lack of budget for a wide shot of a ballroom party scene was.

distortion park fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Dec 11, 2023

Sourdough Sam
May 2, 2010

:dukedog:
Tommy, although he doesn't know what day it is, what jesus was, or what praying is.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think I'm gonna watch Jumanji tonight.

It's another one where you might not think of it but I ended up associating it with the holidays because it came out in December 1995 and my parents took me to see it, and also it has a nice little Christmas party scene at the end.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

the sequel is the same way too

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Rare Exports is probably my favorite holiday movie second only to Violent Night with David Harbour.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Gonna watch Brazil tonight.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Go (1999) takes place around Christmas and has a Christmas-themed rave.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

MaoistBanker posted:

Obviously anything Shane Black incl "Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" and "Iron Man 3"
The Long Kiss Goodnight also kicks rear end.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Can't remember how close to Christmas it takes place, but Ronin is another one. I think the only reference is a choir singing in front of a tree when Deniro is out scouting.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Chemtrailologist posted:

Can't remember how close to Christmas it takes place, but Ronin is another one. I think the only reference is a choir singing in front of a tree when Deniro is out scouting.

There's no snow in the movie iirc, but it certainly feels wintery. Everyone's wearing sweaters and jackets. A muted color palette. The ice-skating exhibition. I don't remember the scene you're referring to, but it wouldn't feel out of place.

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010
I want to add Jingle All the Way. It's very dated, but it has Schwarzenegger being a suburban dad, and in general is a feel good movie.

A christmas movie, to me, is a movie in a christmas setting, snow, christmas decorations, and some christmas music soundtrack :)

Keep them suggestions rolling!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wouldn’t be all Jingle all the way adjacent lol. It’s full on a Christmas movie

Vampess
Nov 24, 2010

CelticPredator posted:

I wouldn’t be all Jingle all the way adjacent lol. It’s full on a Christmas movie

Ok. What're your suggestions?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It's about or around a winter holiday. No need for gatekeeping.

Thank you all for the wonderful suggestions, and also for the bad ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Vampess posted:

Ok. What're your suggestions?

Iron Man 3