Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

You'd be surprised how many of the passing daily tasks that call for a sharp implement to complete can be solved with a simple repossessed car or a foreclosed house key, such as opening envelopes containing final divorce papers, building a living space out of a refrigerator box, or cutting up a discarded Black Forest cake to share with a stray.

Also, ninja Shurikens are simply four or more knives taped together by the handles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Dick Fontaine posted:

oh, hey, look, it’s some guy who here’s to tell people that no, it turns out they don’t understand what they really like, but are actually into this other thing that they specifically said they are not in to. come to lay it on the table and mansplain to everybody and explain how they know better

Dick Fontaine posted:

i’m not a knife guy though. i don’t care what they look like or what they’re made out of or whatever. my priorities are: a.) how interesting a knife is to sharpen, and then b.) how interesting the technique for using that knife is

Bolding mine. Did I misread? If so I'm sorry, I was just trying to help you come to terms with being a knife guy because it's not like there's anything wrong with that. :shrug: We all have our hobbies and interests and there's worse guys out there.

No need to get so aggro, I'm just trying to be friendly.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Taeke posted:

Bolding mine. Did I misread? If so I'm sorry, I was just trying to help you come to terms with being a knife guy because it's not like there's anything wrong with that. :shrug: We all have our hobbies and interests and there's worse guys out there.

No need to get so aggro, I'm just trying to be friendly.

heading lightspeed to the photography thread to inform everyone that they are in fact camera collectors

e: to be fair, some of them are

WEREWOLVES OF BLENDER
Jun 1, 2020
Hello yes I came to the knife thread to get mad.

Dang it, Shun.

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

My daily driver is a shun santoku

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Smugworth posted:

My daily driver is a shun santoku

yeah, but what kind of edge are you putting on that thing? what sort of geometry are you rocking?

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
My santoku is just a li’l 5 incher so I use my 8” Damascus chef’s knife as my go-to with a second lovely chef’s knife as a backup. The Damascus is sharp as gently caress and makes quick work but I’m not in love with the handle.

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
I prefer playing with fire to playing with sharp objects.

I mean I carry a knife, but I just use it to open packages and don't get any pleasure from it like I do tending a bonfire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I've tried a few fancy chef knives, but I've had the best luck with my boring old $60 Victorinox 8-inch.