Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

i sure do. something about it gets the primal parts of my brain purring. the whole process. everything clicks into place and all my worries fade away

sharpening? i could do that forever, gleefully. butchery? never gets old. woodworking? you know it. arts and crafts of all sorts. lots of trades adjacent things. people see me going and they assume i’m some kind of renaissance man who can do everything—but no, i just know the parts that involve cutting

my knife drawer looks like this

i’m not a knife guy though. i don’t care what they look like or what they’re made out of or whatever. my priorities are: a.) how interesting a knife is to sharpen, and then b.) how interesting the technique for using that knife is

it’s the same for other tools that cut things. power saws and grinders and the like. people assume i’m a tool guy but i don’t want to talk about tools at all

how do you talk about cutting stuff though? sounds weird as hell when a dude comes all out of the blue asking if you enjoy cutting things. a good way to get yourself put on a list

goons are already on that list by default though. might as well ask here. throw out a valentine for perfect strangers. does anyone else also enjoy cutting things?

no sword guys please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I like to cut the cheese.

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
I will cut a rug like Astaire if you play some Fred Waring and the MFin Pennsylvanians

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Dick Fontaine posted:

no sword guys please

Big surprise that 'The Butcher', over here, wants to exclude anyone who knows how to handle dudes with rusty cleavers.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I like to cut to the chase.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Emos stay out.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

i'm all about cutting to the chase, i don't have any time to waste

Busters
Jan 24, 2014

I once went to a fancy restaurant, and during the main course, a waiter came over with a selection of cutlery for me to choose from.

There was several types of dignified silverware, an interesting antique set, an outdoorsy knife with an elk horn handle, ect.

Then he shows me the last option, which was a miniature samurai sword.

Like...what kind of choice is that? I know I'm having steak, so I SHOULD choose something that will easily cut it. But how can I not take a miniature katana when it's offered to me.

It was not ideal. But I have no regrets.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Have you tried carving lino squares OP?

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bdfx7l4z5cQ

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
I really like cutting stuff when the blade goes through it effortlessly. Like, a sharp box cutter gliding through tape to open a box.

gently caress cutting anything that requires force of any type though.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Caesar Saladin posted:

i'm all about cutting to the chase, i don't have any time to waste

i see you cut out the part where you read the thread

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Hammerite posted:

i see you cut out the part where you read the thread

i ain't got time for that, i've gotta cut right to the chase

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Caesar Saladin posted:

cut it out buster!!!

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

i cut my life to pieces :(

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Caesar Saladin posted:

i like the cut of your jib. your hired!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

you should trim the fat out of your life op

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I'm an artist, and I sharpen my pencils with a small knife to get the points good for shading- longer with more lead showing. That has a meditative quality to it, and no rotary sharpener has the settings to do it, so it does have to be done by hand, the old-fashioned way.

It's a nice little thing that makes me think of all the other artists that did the exact same little ritual before me.

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
There was a time when i always had a blade of some type. Small victronox, small lock back folder, small cold steel.

I liked having the right tool for the job when everyone is just looking at an impossible problem. Youd be surprised how often the answer to problems is just a sharp knife thats not even 2” long.

I got tired of having them confiscated at random places that put up metal detectors post 9/11 because osama bin ladin was gonna go after the east middletown public library or whatever the gently caress.

I miss cuttin stuff OP. :(

hamtaro
Oct 7, 2008

opinion on throwing knives OP?

fresh_cheese
Jul 2, 2014

MY KPI IS HOW MANY VP NUTS I SUCK IN A FISCAL YEAR AND MY LAST THREE OFFICE CHAIRS COMMITTED SUICIDE
Axes?

Chainsaws?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

After that incident with the home fries and the mandolin, no, OP. Thank you. Good day.

OB-GYN Kenobi
Dec 4, 2017

BigBadSteve posted:

Emos stay out.

:smith:

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah I do, but not as much as this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t557dPspLxo

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
My wife got me a Japanese sharpening stone kit last Christmas and while there’s definitely a learning curve I find it very enjoyable and zen-like to use. I practiced on my lovely Target kitchen knives a bunch before using it on my one good knife.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I like going round your mom's to chop that meat

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

It's OK, I only meant those emos who like cutting themselves.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

he looks pained. like he realizes his place in life, now

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
My wrists

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Nothing like cutting through a freshly-baked hot loaf of bread and that steam releases :cloudnine:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

DicktheCat posted:

I'm an artist, and I sharpen my pencils with a small knife to get the points good for shading- longer with more lead showing. That has a meditative quality to it, and no rotary sharpener has the settings to do it, so it does have to be done by hand, the old-fashioned way.

It's a nice little thing that makes me think of all the other artists that did the exact same little ritual before me.

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

My wife got me a Japanese sharpening stone kit last Christmas and while there’s definitely a learning curve I find it very enjoyable and zen-like to use. I practiced on my lovely Target kitchen knives a bunch before using it on my one good knife.

You Are A Werewolf posted:

Nothing like cutting through a freshly-baked hot loaf of bread and that steam releases :cloudnine:

that’s the stuff right there :swoon:

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Or any freshly-baked goods, really. I like to bake :kiddo:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

hamtaro posted:

opinion on throwing knives OP?

zero interest

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Hate to break it to you, but having an interest in different techniques used to cut with a knife, and especially finding different ways to sharpen a knife and rating your knifes based on that does kinda make you a knife guy though. No shame un that at all or anything, but it's weird to claim you're not a knife guy only to follow that claim directly with those two statements while showing a pretty cool knife collection.

Knifes are cool though, I should probably care more about them and actually get some good knifes and stuff.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

knifes

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

naifs

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
OP how many BUDK catalogs/merchandise thereof do you own

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Taeke posted:

Hate to break it to you, but having an interest in different techniques used to cut with a knife, and especially finding different ways to sharpen a knife and rating your knifes based on that does kinda make you a knife guy though. No shame un that at all or anything, but it's weird to claim you're not a knife guy only to follow that claim directly with those two statements while showing a pretty cool knife collection.

Knifes are cool though, I should probably care more about them and actually get some good knifes and stuff.

oh, hey, look, it’s some guy who here’s to tell people that no, it turns out they don’t understand what they really like, but are actually into this other thing that they specifically said they are not in to. come to lay it on the table and mansplain to everybody and explain how they know better