Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

The Puppy Bowl posted:

Texans logo is a classic look! One of the few, our logo is actually two things

boring AND bad, killer stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Black Sunshine posted:

It's such an unremarkable logo that I literally had to Google it to remind myself what it even looks like and I'm a sicko that's been mainlining the NFL since 1987

its not the worst thing i've ever seen but its very forgettable. xfl/arena football tier stuff.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

The Puppy Bowl posted:

When teams play in Baltimore the scoreboard reads by the team name. So like "Ravens: 21 Texans: 20". Except for when the Colts come. Then it reads "Ravens:21 Indianapolis: 20"

A small pettiness, but one I've always enjoyed.

Never picked up on that, that's funny.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

sharknado slashfic posted:

Never picked up on that, that's funny.

that one goes back to the baltimore football team/baltimore stallions when they had a CFL franchise lol. except instead of the indianapolis thing, the announcer would say 'introducing your BALTIMORE' and then cut the audio so the crowd could yell 'COLTS' because they werent allowed to call themselves that when they first entered the CFL.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Really it all comes down to the fact that "Texans" is a terrible name that sinks the whole project.

You have a cool bull logo but won't call yourself the Bulls or Steer (probably because everyone already knows you're biting off the Longhorns). You have a nice color palette but it's arranged in an unremarkable way. And the name has nothing to do with the city of Houston or its history/culture. It's a giant pile of nothing.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Benne posted:

Really it all comes down to the fact that "Texans" is a terrible name that sinks the whole project.

You have a cool bull logo but won't call yourself the Bulls or Steer (probably because everyone already knows you're biting off the Longhorns). You have a nice color palette but it's arranged in an unremarkable way. And the name has nothing to do with the city of Houston or its history/culture. It's a giant pile of nothing.

Bulls was already owned by Chicago especially in the era when the Texans came to be, and they rejected Steers because they rightfully didn’t want their nfl team to be named after a neutered animal iirc

The logo is nice enough design wise, but everything else associated with the team just sinks it to spring football levels, agreed with the general gist here. I am rooting for Stroud tho Texans fans!

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i’m struggling to understand how the texans logo could be classic? it looks like one of the hundreds of logo prototypes pepsi came up with in that huge design document when they changed their logo.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

This is peak off-season chat

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Pontius Pilate posted:

and they rejected Steers because they rightfully didn’t want their nfl team to be named after a neutered animal iirc

i would guess the fact that it famously rhymes with 'queers' probably came up in the conversation.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Borsche69 posted:

i would guess the fact that it famously rhymes with 'queers' probably came up in the conversation.

It's actually one of the reasons they didn't name a team here the buccaneers and went with titans instead. buccaneer - fucken queer just rhymes too easily in the aussie accent and apparently it cropped up far more often than you'd expect in the market research.

Thats the rumour anyway.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

BlindSite posted:

It's actually one of the reasons they didn't name a team here the buccaneers and went with titans instead. buccaneer - fucken queer just rhymes too easily in the aussie accent and apparently it cropped up far more often than you'd expect in the market research.

Thats the rumour anyway.

yeah that sounds spot on

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BlindSite posted:

Thats the rumour anyway.

Incredibly on brand lol

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

really queer Christmas posted:

it's Browns-Jets tonight what do you want from us :colbert:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Browns clinch playoffs and, at worst, the 5th seed if they don't lose tonight (a tie is still enough for them to get in)

If that doesn't happen they still do it with either:

Pats beat Bills
Panthers don't lose to Jags
Seahawks don't lose to Steelers
or Titans and Raiders don't lose (to Texans and Colts)

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Benne posted:

I think the Texans logo and uniforms are fine, but nothing special. They aren’t bad, there have been objectively much worse in the NFL (See the Browns and Buccaneers uniforms from around 2015), but they’re also kinda generic and just kinda lacking in a difficult to describe way. There’s a bunch of teams with fairly simple uniforms that are classic and should never be changed (Colts, Packers, the Browns now that they reverted), but there’s something about the Texans ones that are just a bit off, maybe something with their fonts or striping, I’m not really sure.

All that said, the main difference is the old Oilers logo and uniforms are fantastic and a classic look, an obvious improvement, and everyone should want to see those back and being used full time.

really queer Christmas posted:

It’s always off-season for some teams

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Chris James 2 posted:

Browns clinch playoffs and, at worst, the 5th seed if they don't lose tonight (a tie is still enough for them to get in)

If that doesn't happen they still do it with either:

Pats beat Bills
Panthers don't lose to Jags
Seahawks don't lose to Steelers
or Titans and Raiders don't lose (to Texans and Colts)

Jets are sneaky. I don’t think to under estimate them

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Gatts posted:

Jets are sneaky. I don’t think to under estimate them

We are heading in with a kicker AND punter ee just signed.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

fartknocker posted:

I think the Texans logo and uniforms are fine, but nothing special. They aren’t bad, there have been objectively much worse in the NFL (See the Browns and Buccaneers uniforms from around 2015), but they’re also kinda generic and just kinda lacking in a difficult to describe way. There’s a bunch of teams with fairly simple uniforms that are classic and should never be changed (Colts, Packers, the Browns now that they reverted), but there’s something about the Texans ones that are just a bit off, maybe something with their fonts or striping, I’m not really sure.

All that said, the main difference is the old Oilers logo and uniforms are fantastic and a classic look, an obvious improvement, and everyone should want to see those back and being used full time.
I think the Texans should've used a lighter blue instead of that dark navy they use. Seriously, if they just used the same color palette as the US flag their uniforms would've been iconic (and bonus points for having a style that is sticking it right in Jerry Jones' & "America's Team" face.)

quote:

It’s always off-season for some teams
Some teams just are playing this non-stop thru the season:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idoYCVLh2qI

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

Android Apocalypse posted:

(and bonus points for having a style that is sticking it right in Jerry Jones' & "America's Team" face.)

This is why I don't mind the name, generic as it is. Just saying 'gently caress you, Jerry, we don't concede the state'.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

sticking it to Jerry Jones by being incredibly boring thematically, what a master stroke

Black Lighter
Sep 6, 2010

Just keep looking at what we're doing, keep watering and ask yourselves first and know 'Are you watering? And are you fertilizing every day?' So when it's time to pop, it'll pop.

The337th posted:

sticking it to Jerry Jones by being incredibly boring thematically, what a master stroke

The only things separating boring from classic are time and success. The Colts have the most boring look in football, but because they've worn the same thing for 60 years and have some legacy of success, you're never gonna see them on a list of worst jerseys. If CJ Stroud takes the Texans to a few Super Bowls, it'll be the same for them.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Black Lighter posted:

The only things separating boring from classic are time and success. The Colts have the most boring look in football, but because they've worn the same thing for 60 years and have some legacy of success, you're never gonna see them on a list of worst jerseys. If CJ Stroud takes the Texans to a few Super Bowls, it'll be the same for them.

"we're from this state" will never not be a bottom tier theme

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

the Colts are boring enough themselves, but they aren't the fuckin Hoosiers

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
The Lamar safety play doesnt have to be replayed. I get that refs are a part of the field. We can lose the down. My main issue is theres no way it should have been called intentional grounding.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

AndrewP posted:

I'm still Big Mad about that ref-assisted safety. I just watched the end zone view and I have zero doubt Lamar gets out of the end zone and at least throws the ball away without the clumsy ref getting in his way. there was nobody in front of him and he was still looking downfield before tripping.

"don't run into the end zone" is good advice for normal quarterbacks, not Lamar who has made a career from escaping poo poo like that. there should be a rule that blows the play dead or something if the ref can't get his rear end out of the way during a live play. :colbert:

It was all part of the plan

https://x.com/_MLFootball/status/1740212231873110203?s=20

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Flikken posted:

We are heading in with a kicker AND punter ee just signed.

Exciting. I still have an uncomfortable feeling in my stomach at this game but I hope for a win

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Finally, a time traveler we can trust to use his powers for good.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Finally, football stats that are relevant.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Honestly good on JCVD timeref for letting nasty rear end Deshawn get blown up

Edit: gently caress Kirk too

Bip Roberts fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 29, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Congrats on making the playoffs, Browns.