Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
They're good cups that work well in addition to the marketing (see: woman who still had ice in her cup after her car burned down)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I had never heard of Stanley cups until just a few days ago when I saw an article about a mother who was upset because her kid was getting made fun of at school for not having a Stanley cup. Back when I was a youth I don't recall anyone carrying around cups. We were too cool for cups.

1secondpersecond
Nov 12, 2008

I read the entirety of the Pupkin webcomic back when it was one of SA's ad banners. I missed out on doing literally anything else on the internet with the time I spent on that.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I had never heard of Stanley cups until just a few days ago when I saw an article about a mother who was upset because her kid was getting made fun of at school for not having a Stanley cup. Back when I was a youth I don't recall anyone carrying around cups. We were too cool for cups.

honestly wish we'd had cups instead of pogs

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

like after the popularity dies down at least you still have a cup, and apparently it's a thermos? As far as stupid fads go this may be the least stupid

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

QuarkJets posted:

like after the popularity dies down at least you still have a cup, and apparently it's a thermos? As far as stupid fads go this may be the least stupid

Yeah at least it's a good quality product that you can use. The fooferaw will die down and the people will be left with something they can actually use. Rather than beanie babies or whatever

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

There have apparently been cycles of different cup brands: Nalgene, Yeti, etc. I don't think too deeply about insulated bottles, so I wasn't even aware this was happening until very recently.

That it's probably a clever marketing gimmick makes a lot of sense.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

yes i remember when nalgenes were popular. what was the gimmick? other cups cause cancer?

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

There have apparently been cycles of different cup brands: Nalgene, Yeti, etc. I don't think too deeply about insulated bottles, so I wasn't even aware this was happening until very recently.

a college dormmate showed me videos of people dropping a nalgene from a 10 story building to show how indestructible they were. he repeated the experiment himself from a parking garage and it vaporized.

i realize this kind of thing is extremely popular so there's something i must be missing, but i just don't get it, i've never had an issue obtaining and consuming water and i've never bought some kind of military grade permanent object to protect the water between its source and my mouth.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Stanley cups were originally stainless steel cups marketed to blue collar manly men, but then they pivoted their advertising to women on tik tok and became a successful fad for awhile. Apparently interest is already dying off because I guess it's hard to maintain a sneakerhead style fanbase when your product is a cup.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

yeah i'm all about that cup lifestyle now

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

QuarkJets posted:

honestly wish we'd had cups instead of pogs

If you didn't learn about rules lawyering as a kid based on playing for keeps or which slammers were allowed (no you can't use your heavy rear end WWF Undertaker slammer) you missed out

Argyle Gargoyle
Apr 1, 2009

ABSTRACT SHAPES CREW

Speaking of pogs I'm reminded of the same era where one of those traveling YoYo team shows performed an act for us in the gym in primary school and sold those and related merch afterward. Pretty much what that Simpson's bit mocked.

Yes I became a YoYo kid and I was dang good at it I'll tell ya hwut

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

it's hard to maintain a sneakerhead style fanbase when your product is a cup.

Not sure why this would be, after all a sneaker is just a cup for your foot.

I also bounced right off of Homestuck, it was clearly intended only for the Achewood fans who had real serious mental health poo poo going on.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Megatokyo? Was that internet famous or does that sound familiar to anyone?

I have memory that years ago it had this huge internet following and tons of people following it, but I might be mistaking it for some other online comic. I never followed it myself, so I'm kind of wondering.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

The Moon Monster posted:

Stanley cups were originally stainless steel cups marketed to blue collar manly men, but then they pivoted their advertising to women on tik tok and became a successful fad for awhile. Apparently interest is already dying off because I guess it's hard to maintain a sneakerhead style fanbase when your product is a cup.

There have been riots over the past week or two over limited edition Valentine's day Stanley cups

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

500excf type r posted:

There have been riots over the past week or two over limited edition Valentine's day Stanley cups

Am I doing relationships wrong? Should I be getting into more riots?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Grey Cat posted:

Yes and yes

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Grey Cat posted:

It is time for the Sanctuary Zones

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

The Moon Monster posted:

anyone else ever feel like you're reading the last couple pages of Brave New World over and over again?

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

I also bounced right off of Homestuck, it was clearly intended only for the Achewood fans who had real serious mental health poo poo going on.

That's honestly the funny thing. Homestuck was basically intended for like the average SA user circa the mid-to-late-00s. The entire thing was steeped in the same mocking-appreciation of the worst parts of nerd culture that you'd get out of basically any front page article, but it somehow got adopted by people who earnestly loved all that poo poo.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
And its forums spawned at least k6bd, which you can buy in the form of actual books

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Anytime I see someone bring up homestuck I think about that video of the homestuck cosplayers passing around a bucket in a restaraunt and taking turns spitting into it.
I'm sure the other patrons looked on in horror as 8 people spit into a bucket in public.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

ishikabibble posted:

That's honestly the funny thing. Homestuck was basically intended for like the average SA user circa the mid-to-late-00s. The entire thing was steeped in the same mocking-appreciation of the worst parts of nerd culture that you'd get out of basically any front page article, but it somehow got adopted by people who earnestly loved all that poo poo.

No matter what exists, there will be people to ruin it. Homestuck was okay but its hardcore fans are a bit disturbing.

I finally joined (for the first time) around Katrina. I've forgotten so much, it's neat to be reminded here.

Met my wife online through eHarmony, so glad I'm out of the game now, it seems like a nightmare from this distance.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

RapturesoftheDeep posted:

Not sure why this would be, after all a sneaker is just a cup for your foot.

The problem is the sneakerheads are already drinking out of shoes so they don't need cups.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glPlCFb00Q0

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

credburn posted:

My experience with Vine is like...

Here is a guy making an original joke.
Here are several hundred thousand people trying to capitalize on the success of the first guy's joke as quickly as possible. THERE IS A NEW JOKE OUT THERE WE MUST COPY IT IN A VIDEO BEFORE OTHERS GET THERE FIRST

so basically the forums

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

NoiseAnnoys posted:

so basically something awful

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
I remember hearing about some gamer drama involving a woman who reviewed games but not paying much attention, and then fast forward a few years and it’s seen as the rise of the alt right and probably the indirect cause of people storming the capitol building?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Yeah they had concerns about the ethics of counting votes

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Achewood is the only webcomic I ever really got into. Loss is the only thing I'm familiar with re CAD and most of what I know about Homestuck concerns the terrible reputation its fanbase had.

Tumblr and fan fiction in general. I might have written a few stories in school about Goku and Sonic teaming up to save the world from the Space Jam aliens or something, but that was way before I ever used the Internet. By the time I was using the web regularly, it was all about the characters having sex and sex is icky.

I loved Coke Music but never played Habbo Hotel. I loved Operation Flashpoint but never played Counterstrike for some reason.

I was already uncool by the time Vine came around so I've pretty much missed everything since/just before then.

Those meme characters you see all over Facebook and poo poo. You know the ones, one is all shrivelled up, one is a cool guy with a beard etc. I don't know where they came from and I don't even get what they're supposed to mocking most of the time. Tbh I've never really gotten memes in general but let me tell you about the genius of classic dada.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
was it habbo hotel or some other thing that eventually got an actual cartoon on like disney channel

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
Jerkcity

Source of Happyness
Mar 2, 2007

you should come outside sometime, it is great out here

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Those meme characters you see all over Facebook and poo poo. You know the ones, one is all shrivelled up, one is a cool guy with a beard etc. I don't know where they came from and I don't even get what they're supposed to mocking most of the time. Tbh I've never really gotten memes in general but let me tell you about the genius of classic dada.

Not sure if you're referring to the same ones but what i've seen have been either old rage comic or wojak characters.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Hate it, always have. It's boring and stupid.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I've wondered a few times: who originally drew those meme people? Someone had to draw the guy with a beard and the lady with the dress and all that. They didn't just appear out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Source of Happyness posted:

Not sure if you're referring to the same ones but what i've seen have been either old rage comic or wojak characters.

I just looked up wojak and yeah, that's them. Not surprised to learn that they apparently came from 4chan!