Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

SgtScruffy posted:

I weirdly think that one of their best songs is Leave. It shouldn’t be as good as it is because the “siren” background, kinda basic structure, and 7 minute runtime but something about it is just super appealing to me.

https://youtu.be/tXj6_-UwkOU

Listening to Leave right now. Yeah that siren in the background works. Great song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

REM fans: Do you still divide their music between the IRS Records and after?

Also, age is a funny thing. Monster still feels like "the new" REM album, and of course it's like 30 years old.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

redshirt posted:

Almost. I think of Out of Time as the natural split between "old" REM and "new" REM. Green is post-IRS but sounds like their IRS output with more radio-friendly production. Out of Time is where they really started experimenting with their sound, and they basically never stopped after that.

Choosing favorite albums is weird, because my favorite songs are spread across most of their catalog. But here's a shot at it:
- Life's Rich Pageant
- Out of Time
- New Adventures in Hi-Fi

Out of Time and New Adventures in Hi-Fi came out during my high school years and made a huge impact on me, especially after I went back and listened to their 80's albums.

I learned to play guitar to R.E.M. -- one of my friends recommended them, reasoning "Peter Buck can't play guitar very well, and neither can you, so it's a good fit." To this day, Endgame, Half a World Away, and Be Mine are some of my favorite songs to play on guitar.

Edit: Meant to reference Green, not Document.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Dec 29, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

Almost. I think of Out of Time as the natural split between "old" REM and "new" REM. Document is post-IRS but sounds like their IRS output with more radio-friendly production. Out of Time is where they really started experimenting with their sound, and they basically never stopped after that.

Choosing favorite albums is weird, because my favorite songs are spread across most of their catalog. But here's a shot at it:
- Life's Rich Pageant
- Out of Time
- New Adventures in Hi-Fi

Out of Time and New Adventures in Hi-Fi came out during my high school years and made a huge impact on me, especially after I went back and listened to their 80's albums.

I learned to play guitar to R.E.M. -- one of my friends recommended them, reasoning "Peter Buck can't play guitar very well, and neither can you, so it's a good fit." To this day, Endgame, Half a World Away, and Be Mine are some of my favorite songs to play on guitar.

Document is an IRS record FYI.

Also, I learned to play guitar to Pop Song 89 exactly for the reason you mentioned lol.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

redshirt posted:

Document is an IRS record FYI.

Oh whoops, I was thinking of Green, not Document.

quote:

Also, I learned to play guitar to Pop Song 89 exactly for the reason you mentioned lol.

I don't want to crap on Peter Buck's guitar playing because he found a sound and made it work, and he evolved it well over the decades. But next to Mike Mills, who I'm pretty sure is a musical savant, his contributions can feel simplistic. Easy to learn, anyway.

My father learned to play guitar by listening to Simon and Garfunkel albums in the 60's and I have no loving clue how he managed that.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 29, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

Oh whoops, I was thinking of Green, not Document.

I don't want to crap on Peter Buck's guitar playing because he found a sound and made it work, and he evolved it well over the decades. But next to Mike Mills, who I'm pretty sure is a musical savant, his contributions can feel simplistic.

I've thought about this for a long time. Is Buck the most proficient guitarist? Heck no, not even close. Did he create a sound and use it, work with it to make great songs? Hell yeah he did. And that's all that matters. The Song. The Album. Not some technical virtuosity. I feel strongly about this.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

redshirt posted:

I've thought about this for a long time. Is Buck the most proficient guitarist? Heck no, not even close. Did he create a sound and use it, work with it to make great songs? Hell yeah he did. And that's all that matters. The Song. The Album. Not some technical virtuosity. I feel strongly about this.

This is how I feel about basically every member of New Order. Aside from Stephen Morris when he’s being a freakish powerhouse on drums, every one of them never really got beyond beginner-intermediate at their instruments.

Heck, like half of their 80s catalog is variations on the I-IV chord change lol. Still my favorite band though.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Low - Out of time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRO7oryZUnM

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

HD DAD posted:

This is how I feel about basically every member of New Order. Aside from Stephen Morris when he’s being a freakish powerhouse on drums, every one of them never really got beyond beginner-intermediate at their instruments.

Heck, like half of their 80s catalog is variations on the I-IV chord change lol. Still my favorite band though.

Indeed. Good music and good vibes and good times is what it's about. Forever.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just wanna say for the past few hours my just punishment for drive-by shitposting has been the inability to stop hearing a half remembered version of the Donkey Konga REM song complete with hollow tinny bongo sound effects played not actually very tied to the rhythm of the song itself. I thought that I heard you laughing and I thought that I heard you cry are the main words I remember clearly and they have the donkey konga bongo clap sfx with it

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Khanstant posted:

Just wanna say for the past few hours my just punishment for drive-by shitposting has been the inability to stop hearing a half remembered version of the Donkey Konga REM song complete with hollow tinny bongo sound effects played not actually very tied to the rhythm of the song itself. I thought that I heard you laughing and I thought that I heard you cry are the main words I remember clearly and they have the donkey konga bongo clap sfx with it

If it's any consolation I have no idea what you might mean.

cwinkle
Mar 7, 2008

isaboo posted:

Now Widespread Panic, lol, those guys were cool as hell.

I used to travel around to Panic shows back in the early '90's is was a hell of a lot of fun. Is that Diego guy from you REM story the same guy as Panic's percussionist?

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

cwinkle posted:

I used to travel around to Panic shows back in the early '90's is was a hell of a lot of fun. Is that Diego guy from you REM story the same guy as Panic's percussionist?

Nah, not the same guy. The Diego I knew was younger than all of us. He was a well known townie though, because of his association with Devon the comic store guy.

I really wish I could claim I was around for Panic In The Streets, but I was gone by then. I heard it was a wild time.

I was at the Athens GWAR show in 1992 that got shut down for "licentious or obscene" behavior though. That sucked. GWAR successfully sued the city with the help of the ACLU and settled out of court, donating the funds to charity.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Apropos isaboo's tales, I give you my breakfast for The Smashing Pumpkins.

I had no relation, but I was a College DJ on summer break so...

I saw them at Zoots, it was awesome.

Next morning they roll up at my breakfast place in their lol obvious rock van.

I was only a prep guy at the time but I saw them come in and stepped up asked to cook their order.

And I cooked The Smashing Pumpkins breakfast. I did great IMO! lol

cwinkle
Mar 7, 2008

isaboo posted:

I was at the Athens GWAR show in 1992 that got shut down for "licentious or obscene" behavior though.

I don't remember the year but I was at a Panic show in Tuscaloosa that got shut down 3 songs in because the fire marshal said there were too many people. A buddy I hadn't seen since high school was working at the tape board. Ended up giving him a ride to New Orleans the next day for the Tipitina's show.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
redshirt I'm sorry for derailing this thread with my Athens memories, but they've come flooding back lol. one more then I'll stop!

Mid to late 90s, I can't remember exactly when - Henry Rollins did a surprise spoken word show at the 40 Watt Club. It was winter and a bad storm came through town, covering the streets with ice just as he was ending. A bunch of people left before it got too bad but some of us stayed because we lived too far from downtown to safely drive.

Anyway, Henry was hungry and asked us if we wanted to get something to eat, and where we should go. We suggested The Grill, a well known all night diner just a couple of blocks away. There were probably 15 of us who went to have a late night meal with Henry - his treat. He was cool as gently caress, as one might expect. I remember him going into more detail about one of the stories he told during his show, about a flight in a small airplane with an unlicensed "pilot". Funny as hell.

lol, just remembered something else about that night. A local homeless guy was in the diner with us and the staff kept asking him to leave. He got belligerent, picked up a glass container from the table, and smashed it on the floor at a waiter's feet. The waiter said "That's assault!" and without missing a beat, Henry called out from his table, "No, that's a sugar!" (It was a sugar shaker)

It was brilliant and the whole place erupted in laughter

isaboo fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Dec 29, 2023

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

redshirt posted:

I never did, mainly because I was born the year Green came out.

My stupid divide is the year 2000, where everything before is “stuff I discovered after the fact”.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Green probably

also as a mandolin player i love that Losing My Religion, one of the most prominent uses of the mandolin in all of mainstream rock music, was the result of Peter Buck basically just loving around trying to learn how to play one right after he got it. and the second most well-known mandolin-led rock song, Battle of Evermore by Led Zeppelin, has a similar backstory.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

I never did, mainly because I was born the year Green came out.

My stupid divide is the year 2000, where everything before is “stuff I discovered after the fact”.

A Millennium is a good natural divider.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

isaboo posted:

redshirt I'm sorry for derailing this thread with my Athens memories, but they've come flooding back lol. one more then I'll stop!

I'm loving your stories! Please don't stop -- or if redshirt would rather not have this thread sidetracked, think about starting a new one? I think it would be well-received.

Do you have any B-52's stories? Obviously they'd gotten famous before R.E.M. came along, but they kept their Athens ties.

quote:

Mid to late 90s, I can't remember exactly when - Henry Rollins did a surprise spoken word show at the 40 Watt Club.

Henry Rollins is still sharp as hell. I saw him a couple of months ago on his current tour, and he hasn't run out of amazing stories yet.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

WhiteHowler posted:

I'm loving your stories! Please don't stop -- or if redshirt would rather not have this thread sidetracked, think about starting a new one? I think it would be well-received.

Do you have any B-52's stories? Obviously they'd gotten famous before R.E.M. came along, but they kept their Athens ties.

Henry Rollins is still sharp as hell. I saw him a couple of months ago on his current tour, and he hasn't run out of amazing stories yet.

I am all for stories! Please tell them!

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

redshirt posted:

Apropos isaboo's tales, I give you my breakfast for The Smashing Pumpkins.

I had no relation, but I was a College DJ on summer break so...

I saw them at Zoots, it was awesome.

Next morning they roll up at my breakfast place in their lol obvious rock van.

I was only a prep guy at the time but I saw them come in and stepped up asked to cook their order.

And I cooked The Smashing Pumpkins breakfast. I did great IMO! lol

What did Billy order?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

What did Billy order?

Pancakes and omelettes, I forget the specifics. Darcy wasn't there but the rest of the band was.

My god that was a summer. I'd be out and about at 2 am and then at work at this breakfast place at 5.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SgtScruffy posted:

I weirdly think that one of their best songs is Leave. It shouldn’t be as good as it is because the “siren” background, kinda basic structure, and 7 minute runtime but something about it is just super appealing to me.

https://youtu.be/tXj6_-UwkOU

Leave is loving amazing, and one of the reasons I love that album so much. I also have a soft spot for So Fast, So Numb, and the increasing scales in Be Mine always get me. Then there’s E-Bow

My first REM album was Out Of Time, which is terrific, and I do love Monster. That probably ties with Reveal as my third.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I started every show (Tuesdays and Thursdays 3-6) with the same song

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

That song was "Welcome to the Terrordome" by Public Enemy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfowA1lg2G8

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

My PE story: I first heard them at this rich girl from BU's place, right on the Charles. This two story place, had a statue inside! I'd never seen such richness up close. My friend Kevin had this new CD.....

Mr. Bung
Mar 24, 2005

Get out the pink press threat file
and Um-brrrptzzap the subject.
As much as I like me an REM, I still feel a somewhat uncomfortable whenever Mike Mills sings.

nice obelisk idiot
May 18, 2023

funerary linens looking like dishrags

Mr. Bung posted:

As much as I like me an REM, I still feel a somewhat uncomfortable whenever Mike Mills sings.
He has a decent voice for backing vocals on the more lofi stuff. Cuts through the jangles. Lead vocals on the 90s albums? No thanks Mike, I'm good.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

therattle posted:

Then there’s E-Bow

Patti Smiths voice on that track :allears: but shivering.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

Life’s Rich Pageant is really good and underrated I think. It’s been awhile since I’ve even thought about REM but just looking at the track list and jogging my memory there are so many good songs on there. It’s an album of carefree summertime nostalgia to me. Flowers of Guatemala is a beautiful song.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I can't believe I didn't think of this before, but you REM fans might be interested in watching Athens GA Inside Out, a 1987 documentary about the Athens music scene. It features footage with REM, Pylon, B-52s, and a bunch of other bands.

Edit: not sure where to find the whole film but there are clips on YouTube.
Come to think of it, I'm not sure I've ever seen the whole thing.

isaboo fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jan 1, 2024